Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber EAB

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Gerber EAB
on: October 04, 2008, 08:45:19 PM
Thought this would get a little more appreciation in the Gerber forum than maybe the Edged Tool forum ;) :D

The Gerber EAB folding utility blade knife sure it's not a "MT" per say but a knife is as much a MT as a hammer ::) :D
it has been a pretty good little knife since I bought it. I like that it is lightweight and has a pocket clip :cheers: I have one downfall with it ::) the little bolt that you have to take out to change the blade.  Of course the first or second blade I put in it and guess who drops the little bolt from about 15 feet off a scaffold :ahhh Yep you guessed it me. :( I thought well there goes that :-[ So I put it away for a while (few weeks) then it hit me to email Gerber about a replacement.  I told them what had happened and how clumsy I am  ::) Told them I would pay for a replacement bolt.  But they said they would just send me a new one :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: In about 3 days I got a package in the mail :mail: low and behold they sent me 2 replacement bolts :ahhh I was so happy (guess they felt sorry 4 the clumsy :P ) I put the new bolt and a new blade in and put it back into action :cheers: I just really like this knife :)

Are there any more EAB users out there?

For those who haven't seen 1 here's a couple of stock pics ;)

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Gerber EAB
Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 08:47:15 PM
I've not seen any on these shore's, but they do look a handy wee knife :), even for the clumsy :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 08:49:46 PM
Nice gesture from Gerber too Poncho.

I used to come here a lot.

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 08:57:57 PM
The EAB is a really handy little utility knife, but make sure you get the latest version. There was a recall on the EAB due to safety issues.

From what I remember, the main changes were with the finger guard and the screw that you mentioned. In the new EAB, the finger guard actually covers the blade vs the picture posted above.
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 09:13:52 PM
I've not seen any on these shore's, but they do look a handy wee knife :), even for the clumsy :D

Heinnies has/had them.
I'm back!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 09:17:04 PM
I've seen those at Target, securely locked in their clam packs. Haven't had the opportunity to try one yet though. How secure is the knife blade once it's screwed down?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 10:43:04 PM
Very secure, I have the new style and unless you shear the screw or bend the guard there is no way for the blade to come out.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 11:50:44 PM
 :ahhh I didn't even notice that the pic is of an old model  ::) :D

They did ask me if I had an older model but mine is the newer 1

::) :P ;) :D :D :D and yeah it is a very handy wee knife :D

Nice gesture from Gerber too Poncho.

I was very well pleased with the CS dept :cheers:

I've seen those at Target, securely locked in their clam packs. Haven't had the opportunity to try one yet though. How secure is the knife blade once it's screwed down?

and as jzmtl has said the blade ain't coming out after it is tightened down unless you bend or break something :D

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 11:56:40 PM
I bought one back in the day, when I cut cardboard boxes daily. I bought one. Then I cut boxes daily.

Sometimes I would use it as a money clip too.

It was my baby. Then I didn't need to cut so many boxes anymore.

:D

I haven't carried it at all lately but I still love it.
Got those frog legs.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 02:39:22 AM
They were on sale at Canadian Tire some months ago but I forgot to get one...

Still, they are pretty inexpensive and seem handy.  I'll probably pick one up eventually.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 04:37:19 AM
Yeah they are very handy :D

Great thing is you don't even realize that your carrying it until you need it :cheers:

and the clip is pretty good as clips go anyways :D

Offline SoDak

Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 06:02:42 AM
I still have one of the old ones that I have never used. I always thought that they could be useful for a small survival kit since they are small and slim. The only thing that concerned me about the EAB was that on mine, it would open up too easily. I personaly wouldn't want to have it in my pocket for fear that it would open and stab me. Do the new ones open harder? Also does anyone know if gerber is still recalling the old knives for new ones?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 05:00:20 AM
I still have one of the old ones that I have never used. I always thought that they could be useful for a small survival kit since they are small and slim. The only thing that concerned me about the EAB was that on mine, it would open up too easily. I personaly wouldn't want to have it in my pocket for fear that it would open and stab me. Do the new ones open harder? Also does anyone know if gerber is still recalling the old knives for new ones?

I have no problem with mine coming open but I do keep it clip on my pocket :)

and Yes I do believe that they are still recalling the old model  :cheers:

Just drop them an email they were very prompt with me ;) :D :D :D

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 06:19:25 AM
Mine has never opened and I used to drop it in the bottom of my pocket with all manner of things.
Got those frog legs.

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 06:57:42 AM
My second generation (aka blade does not come loose and cut you) version is EDC. Love it. Wish Gerber would make more nicely designed items like this. It really is brilliant.
G

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: December 20, 2008, 05:47:52 PM
They were on sale at Canadian Tire some months ago but I forgot to get one...

Def

Def, CT has them on sale again this week.  Regular $17, now $8.50.  In fact, I saw it in this week's flyer just now and came here to see if there were any reviews for it.  The photo shows the original faulty version but I'm hoping that's just a stock photo.  I'm going to pick one up tomorrow.

I wanted to get a SOG Access Card 2.0 because it's a super-lightweight EDC but this will be a good alternative.
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #16 on: December 20, 2008, 05:57:49 PM
Yeah CT have the new version. I bought mine from them when it was on sale in the summer.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #17 on: December 21, 2008, 09:30:02 PM
Thanks guys- I'll have to go have a look... although I'll admit to being more than a little afraid to go to CT or any other store in the next few days!   :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: December 21, 2008, 10:36:41 PM
Picked one up today and I love it.  For $8.49 CDN (about $6.99 USD), it's worth picking one up.

I'll admit to being more than a little afraid to go to CT or any other store in the next few days!

Def

I went to my nearest CT (downtown Toronto) this morning and surprisingly, there wasn't that many people.  Went straight to the knife/multi-tool section and they had maybe 15 EABs in the display.  I was in and out within 5 minutes.   :tu:
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: December 25, 2008, 02:17:38 AM
 :o That sounds like a pretty good deal :think: I think I paid a little over $10 for mine and I carry it to work everyday still :D

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #20 on: December 25, 2008, 02:38:13 AM
Picked one up today and I love it.  For $8.49 CDN (about $6.99 USD), it's worth picking one up.

I'll admit to being more than a little afraid to go to CT or any other store in the next few days!

Def

I went to my nearest CT (downtown Toronto) this morning and surprisingly, there wasn't that many people.  Went straight to the knife/multi-tool section and they had maybe 15 EABs in the display.  I was in and out within 5 minutes.   :tu:

Everytime I go to the knife counter in CT/Walmart I gotta spend 30 minutes to track down somebody to open the damn thing.  >:(

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: December 29, 2008, 01:03:12 AM
Dagnabit! Wish I had caught this special in time. I have been meaning to get one for quite a while...
[

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #22 on: December 29, 2008, 06:55:06 AM
Dagnabit! Wish I had caught this special in time. I have been meaning to get one for quite a while...

Watch the flier, it goes on sale at this price a couple times a year.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: February 22, 2019, 03:51:37 PM
Bringing back this old thread of mine to show off this beauty :dd:

I have had 1 other SS model since I started this thread but the original one is still in use by somebody I work with :like: my favorite utility blade knife but far,  because it is so compact and convenient to carry  :tu: apparently they have had the  BO  model out since 2012 and it has now been discontinued  :facepalm: I had one ordered from Walmart but the order was cancelled because they were out of stock :ahhh so I emailed Gerber to see if I could order one because they didn't hear it on their site ::) that's when I found out the info of when they started making these and they no longer did make them :facepalm: so I hurried to ebay and started looking :D took me a while to find one that was cheap enough (yes I am that cheap :whistle: ) and I got one :woohoo: it was in a blister pack with a Shard :cheers: forgot to get a pic of it before I opened it though :facepalm:

Anywho, I am glad I have one of these now and will be carrying it :cheers:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #24 on: February 22, 2019, 04:07:38 PM
Very nice poncho  :salute:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: February 22, 2019, 04:09:14 PM
Thanks mags :hatsoff: I am liking it very much :dd:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 04:25:52 PM by Poncho65 »

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: February 22, 2019, 04:11:34 PM
Cool stuff!!

us Offline CallsignBadger

• No Life Club
  • Honey Badger Don't Care
Reply #27 on: February 22, 2019, 04:29:12 PM
 :iagree:

Nice find!

Why would they discontinue BO  ???

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: February 22, 2019, 04:33:09 PM
I wished I knew :dunno: perhaps they didn't sell well :shrug: if they didn't it is because no one knew about them  maybe :ahhh first I heard of them was back in October maybe when cody mentioned them being on sale at Tractor Supply and then I saw a pic of them later on MTOs Facebook page  :salute: if not for that I still wouldn't know about them :facepalm:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 04:34:39 PM by Poncho65 »

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #29 on: February 23, 2019, 12:23:01 AM
Great pics, and what a nice tool! :like:
The BO looks amazing!
I have two SS, they're nice little tools.

Bring the BO back, Gerber! :twak:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD