Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Lone Wanderer's Wandering Thread

us Offline The Lone Wanderer

• High Octane Gasoline
The Lone Wanderer's Wandering Thread
on: February 26, 2017, 08:25:53 PM
I figured I might as well make a thread about my SAK adventures, and keep you all entertained at the same time.

Today my Dad and I went to the local junkyard to pull a part for his Jeep we will be selling. Brought my Swisstool and a full toolbox with, the Swisstool did 98% of the work, and we beat on it a touch, did great

After that we came home, and I decided to add my Wenger Viking to the pockets, because I've never pocket carried a thin SAK, always a belt pouch, and it's really not too bad.

My next investment will be a P7 style clip or a nice paracord lanyard. Which do you folks prefer and why?

Anyways, I'll update this thread as needed with observations and rambling related to the SAK community. Thanks everyone!
Last of the V8 Interceptors

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Re: The Lone Wanderer's Wandering Thread
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 08:32:26 PM
:popcorn:

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 08:40:52 PM
 :popcorn: :popcorn:
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline cali-SAK-attack

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 01:44:07 AM
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

:cheers:

I was gonna add a Thread like this tonite for my Adventure of gathering knives for my Grandson (1 yr.) John's collection,As I got the 3rd 2015 knife to complete his Birth Year Set.! :ahhh
***CLICK on my pics to see actual sized photo :)

us Online Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 03:52:43 AM
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Barry

00 Offline WolfyW

Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 04:02:19 AM
Cool thread, will be following  :popcorn:
"The older I get, the better I was".

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 04:03:25 AM
I've always used a two/three inch lanyard on my SAKs. Usually on my alox. It keeps the key ring from scratching the alox up and it's just long enough to easily find and pull the SAK from my coin pocket. Never tried a suspension clip. Might give one a go sometime.

• High Octane Gasoline
Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 06:36:11 AM
Thanks for the following guys, and thanks for the advice Roc!

So today I was using my Viking, I enjoy the toolset as it matches up well with my Swisstool Spirit X, but there is one issue. The grind on about 45% of the blade, starting with the tang area is duller than dull, and this is the factory grind Wenger put on there.

Now I've read that Wenger did have some quality control issues, but it's still sad to me. So options?

My current, and most logical course of action is to reprofile the edge of this knife. I plan on ordering a Lansky this week, since I like the design and it seems to work well.

If my research is correct, a 20° angle on each side is the factory angle. Does this sound good?

Thanks for reading and commenting in advance guys!

• High Octane Gasoline
Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 04:29:27 AM
I decided to order a Farmer, in Orange Alox this week, plus a Zermatt pouch to carry it. I think a Leatherman Micra will round out my need for scissors. I looked at the Pioneer X, but the lack of available colors for the same price as the Farmer made me chose the latter.

• High Octane Gasoline
Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 03:33:45 AM
Updating an old thread here, bear with me.

I've come to start carrying a more minimalist edc setup. To this end I'm loving to carry a JPST and either a Wenger SI or Highlander. I've modified a pistol magazine pouch to carry both. Using my best Macgyver imitation I made a divider custom fit to separate the SAK and the JPST. I've got it roughed out in cardboard and I'm going to get some Kydex to finish it up.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 09:17:43 AM
Sounds interesting. Remember the pics!  :popcorn:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 11:53:22 AM
Missed this one the first time through :think: Great read and I would definitely love to see you continue on with it and give more thoughts as you go :like: :like:

• High Octane Gasoline
Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 07:23:40 AM
I swear I'll get some pictures uploaded in the near future. Been experimenting with carrying a New Pattern Soldier with my Spirit X. I am left handed and found it to work well even though it is a chisel grind.

I plan on picking up another at Gander Mountain on Tuesday as to keep my other one in good shape. I also ordered a Bianchi Military Magazine Pouch, in OD green, size 2 to house my Soldier and Spirit X. Plus for a nice bit of contrast I'll put my red paracord lanyard on as well.

Once I get everything assembled I promise to get pictures up for you fine folks!

us Offline cali-SAK-attack

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 09:04:37 AM
 :worthless: :pok: :D
***CLICK on my pics to see actual sized photo :)

• High Octane Gasoline
Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 03:35:15 AM
As promised here's some pictures! I wanted to fit a 111mm Soldier in but the one handed opening caused it not to fit. Well I guess I have 2 Soldiers now.

Anyways the pouch is very high quality and I am quite impressed.
0419172018-1.jpg
* 0419172018-1.jpg (Filesize: 178.78 KB)
0419172017-1.jpg
* 0419172017-1.jpg (Filesize: 199.7 KB)
0419172016-1.jpg
* 0419172016-1.jpg (Filesize: 407.3 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 03:53:21 AM
Very cool sheath :o :tu: I may have to look into getting one of these as well :think: :like:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 10:44:03 AM
It looks nice!  :like:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

• High Octane Gasoline
Reply #17 on: May 03, 2017, 06:49:48 AM
May 2017 update.

I bought a Gerber Center Drive a few weeks ago and I am in love with it. I have put my Swisstools in storage for the time being and the Gerber is on me 24/7 outside of work.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Swisstools but the shiny finish drove me nuts trying to keep it smudge free. The Gerber has all the tools I use the most and none of the ones I don't.

I honestly don't feel the need for a saw and I always need screwdrivers and whatnot. But I can't not carry a SAK so a Wenger Traveler has been ny companion as of late. This goes in my pocket with my lighter and cell phone on a lanyard.

My main heavy work knife is my Cold Steel Recon 1 Tanto in the new XHP steel and it works wonders, however I wouldn't mind trying out a Benchmade to see what all tbe noise is about.

Lastly I am in need of a good light, my cheapo 9.99 Coast is on the way out after 2 years of HARD use. The switch is going bad and I'm tired of messing with it.

So that beings you up to speed anyways, should I look into a Benchmade? Specifically a Griptilian? What kind of light should I get?

Comment below and thanks for reading!

PS sorry if there are spelling errors, I did tbid on my phone before going to bed.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: May 03, 2017, 10:31:03 AM
When I was shopping for a new light (over 2 years ago now... time flies) I asked myself 3 questions:
- What do I need? (What HAS to be on the light)

- What do I want? (Nice extras that might persuade me more in this light)

- What I doesn't want (Specs that just aren't your cup of tea)

I, myself had some needs:
An all rounder, 1 flashlight to suit all my needs. So multiple light modes for multiple scenarios.

Pocket size

Rechargeable battery

Pocket clip

Zoomable head or great all round lens.

Back switch

Wants:
Max output around 1000lumen

Strike bezel, preferably removable for crossing borders.

Neutral colour (no bright yellow rescue light)

Don't want:

Body switch

More than 1 switch

Sos and/or strobe mode

More then 1 colour of light.

All this put together brought me to:
An Olight, a Led Lenser and a Fenix.

The Fenix was dropped quite fast because of it's body switch, strobe mode and multiple buttons.

The Olight was a doubter, but was dropped because of the fact that they were still quite unknown over here and I think it also had a body switch.

So eventualy I went with the Led Lenser F1R and haven't looked back since.

So basicaly: build your list and do some research :tu:

• High Octane Gasoline
Reply #19 on: May 12, 2017, 06:54:29 AM
Thought I would put this here. The next month or so I will be on randomly due to some exciting news, I'm getting an apartment finally! I'll be moving in in July so it will be a flurry of activity for next few weeks. Just thought I'd keep everyone posted.

For now, keep it between the ditches and 73's everybody!

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: May 12, 2017, 02:25:25 PM
Thought I would put this here. The next month or so I will be on randomly due to some exciting news, I'm getting an apartment finally! I'll be moving in in July so it will be a flurry of activity for next few weeks. Just thought I'd keep everyone posted.

Congratulations on finding an apartment!  :tu: :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: May 12, 2017, 09:11:58 PM

Congratulations on finding an apartment!  :tu: :cheers:

+1 Very cool 8) and don't forget about us even if it is for just a minute to say hi :tu:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #22 on: May 13, 2017, 04:54:18 AM
Congrats, and enjoy the new apartment :tu:

Proud SAKMC member :)

K-Tibbs

it Offline Mini

Reply #23 on: May 14, 2017, 12:08:42 AM
Today I discovered this thread, I like it very much.  Ours life with ours SAK, it concretizes that behind a keyboard or smartphone, there are real people.  :tu:

• High Octane Gasoline
Reply #24 on: December 18, 2017, 03:25:07 AM
Time to revive this thread. Been a busy few months. Had to get a new car due to an accident, found a great Toyota Rav4 and have been enjoying it immensely.

Work has been really busy the last few months, plus hectic with the news we received. I work in the banking industry, the company I work for is a good sized bank, around 100 branches in my state where we are headquartered. A few weeks ago I found out that the powers that be are closing my branch in March of 2018 and everyone will be moved to another location in the state. It was a tough bit of news since I had spent well over a year organizing and coaching the branch and branch employees. (I'm an assistant manager by the way).

So I have had all of this to deal with, I made myself a goal. I'm slightly overweight and tired of dealing with it, so 2018 will be my year to be a heathier me. First thing that starts with is downsizing my collection of unused tools. I plan on keeping my SAKs and maybe 2-3 MTs, the rest I will either sell or have GAWs for on here.

So if that's something someone would be interested in, let me know and I'll do it.

Lastly, I'm going to go with a basic SAK for my travels, going to carry an 08 Soldier here on forward only. Maybe I may add a 74mm with scissors to have scissors, we'll see.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: December 18, 2017, 04:25:21 AM
Sorry to hear about work :-\ If you are planning on GAWs we are all for that here :D I do wish you a better 2018 though and hope the coming year goes the way you want it :like:

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #26 on: December 18, 2017, 06:10:51 AM
+1
2017 was not a good year for me. So here is hoping 2018 will be much better for both of us. :climber:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: December 18, 2017, 12:33:11 PM
If you want to turn into a lean-mean-killing-machine (or just a lean-mean-chillin'-machine) just eat meat and veg and abandon all carbohydrates. My brother did this and the transformation was pretty spectacular. He went from Mr Stay-Puft to Jean Claud Van Damme in about 6 months.  :salute:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: December 18, 2017, 03:13:33 PM
Sorry to hear about your job and good luck on the weight loss !

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #29 on: December 18, 2017, 04:04:57 PM
Time to revive this thread. Been a busy few months. Had to get a new car due to an accident, found a great Toyota Rav4 and have been enjoying it immensely.

Work has been really busy the last few months, plus hectic with the news we received. I work in the banking industry, the company I work for is a good sized bank, around 100 branches in my state where we are headquartered. A few weeks ago I found out that the powers that be are closing my branch in March of 2018 and everyone will be moved to another location in the state. It was a tough bit of news since I had spent well over a year organizing and coaching the branch and branch employees. (I'm an assistant manager by the way).

So I have had all of this to deal with, I made myself a goal. I'm slightly overweight and tired of dealing with it, so 2018 will be my year to be a heathier me. First thing that starts with is downsizing my collection of unused tools. I plan on keeping my SAKs and maybe 2-3 MTs, the rest I will either sell or have GAWs for on here.

So if that's something someone would be interested in, let me know and I'll do it.

Lastly, I'm going to go with a basic SAK for my travels, going to carry an 08 Soldier here on forward only. Maybe I may add a 74mm with scissors to have scissors, we'll see.

Your time there will not have been wasted and this change just opens up room for bigger and better in your life!   I cut out most of the sugar in my diet and have experienced significant weight loss...  also portion control was HUGE for me... I was awlways in the habit of eating until I felt full... I've learned to eat slower and give myself time after eating a suggested serving instead of just planning on eating 2-3 "servings" at a time. 

Keep a good attitude and a SAK in your pocket and the rest will take care of itself.  :D  :cheers:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%