Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Jetboil?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Jetboil?
on: February 27, 2017, 12:38:39 AM
Megan is starting to plan a 5 day hike in the summer with one of her friends.  I'm not going as it takes me five days to walk to the corner and back!

She is considering her equipment- what we have versus what she would want, and one of the things that she has decided on is a Jetboil.

She likes the idea of the fuel canisters rather than the liquid fuel options we have (Coleman Easi-Lite, Whisperlite International, SVEA Optima 123 or her Mini Trangia) or the wood powered Bio Lite since she won't be allowed to burn wood in a federal park.

We have been reading reviews and warching videos on the various versions of Jetboil personal cooking systems and I kind of like the MiniMo the most.  She still seems undecided.

She's also looked at the MSR solid fuel stoves and likes the larger burner area of them, but not enough to offset the snap-together-ness of the Jetboil.

Anyone have any suggestions, experiences or comments that might help her make up her mind?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Re: Jetboil?
Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 12:49:52 AM
I'm about to send my jetboil back for them to look at after only 8 months, tried to use it friday night during a powercut and it wouldn't light, changed the gas and still nothing. I ended up using the Swedish army cookset which has a Tranjia alcohol burner. two is one, one is none and all that
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 02:26:23 AM
Did it light with a match?

Did you check the ignition wire?  If they get bent a little I hear they won't ignite until they are bent back.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 04:32:58 AM
I have enjoyed my jetboil for many years now, light use, and I'm really good with my equipment. But I can definitely recommend from my experience :tu: .
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 10:02:26 AM
Did it light with a match?

Did you check the ignition wire?  If they get bent a little I hear they won't ignite until they are bent back.

Def

yup, It's not letting gas through
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 04:47:08 PM
When I was looking for this type stove I ended up getting the $8 stove. 
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,56165.msg1017432.html#_

Its performed very well since getting it with no issues lighting or performance in general.  The price was right especially considering how much I actually use it ( not a lot ).     
Esse Quam Videri

dk Offline Troels

Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 05:01:23 PM
I have one of the very first jetboil models and have been happy with it always (when I want a gas stove).
The coffee press is also great (also on its own in the office).
Jetboils are excellent for freeze dried foods and less excellent for gourmet cooking. The wider pans/pots are must likely better at this but I have not tried it.

Jetboils have excellent fuel economy .... I use about half the fuel with jetboils compared to other gas stoves or multifuel stoves.
You can grab and hold the pots with their neoprene covers. That makes many practical issues easier (grabbing a pot thats about to tip over etc etc)

All canister stoves can have the issue that not all brands of canisters fit. Of course you can screw it on but the little pins poking down in the canister seems to have different lenghts. If you buy jetboil canisters you should be safe. Some canisters only allow e.g. 50% output while others give 0% output. Just test them out before going on a trip

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 04:33:41 PM
I have a Sol, which is basically a boiler only...ok if the meal plan only requires boiling water. The Minimo looks good...the valve has been redesigned to be more adjustable for "real" cooking. I like the handle on the pot too...really hate the nylon strap.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 05:33:14 PM
She is expecting to be hiking for several days, and so she's expecting to eat freeze dried stuff like Mountain House for the entire trip.  Chances are the Jetboil will be used for boiling water for that and/or making coffee.

And, of course, the pot adaptor is only a few dollars in case we want to use it for other stuff in the future, and for some reason we don't want to use any f the other pile of stoves we have.

Def

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 05:46:08 PM
Heres my set up.  The stove works on both fuel canisters tho I cannot comment on consumption of fuel.  The Stanley pot is awesome. 
IMG_2387.JPG
* IMG_2387.JPG (Filesize: 260.17 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 05:57:16 PM
Here are a few pics stowing the canister and stove within the Stanley pot.  Not much difference adding in the cup provided with the Stanley set.   
IMG_2388.JPG
* IMG_2388.JPG (Filesize: 184.62 KB)
IMG_2390.JPG
* IMG_2390.JPG (Filesize: 205.38 KB)
IMG_2391.JPG
* IMG_2391.JPG (Filesize: 193.75 KB)
IMG_2389.JPG
* IMG_2389.JPG (Filesize: 199.88 KB)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 05:58:31 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 01:21:05 AM
These BRS-3000Ts have been popular for a while now - https://www.amazon.com/Folding-Gas-Stove-Titanium-BRS-3000T/dp/B01L8X6FKG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1488326999&sr=8-5&keywords=brs+stove - much better build quality than the cheaper Chinese stoves for a few bucks more...smaller and lighter too.

This a a Nomad Life branded one next to a Snow Peak LiteMax - https://www.amazon.com/Nomad-Life-Lightweight-Titanium-Backpacking/dp/B00V8TA91W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488327534&sr=8-1&keywords=nomadlife
nomad_stove01.jpg
* nomad_stove01.jpg (Filesize: 37.41 KB)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 02:02:42 AM
Both look awesome.   Not much more for a better constructed stove = win  :like:
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #13 on: March 04, 2017, 03:34:34 AM
I never liked "system" stoves and prefer to assemble my own. Optimus Crux is probably the smallest there is, you can literally fit it in the concave base of a fuel canister, then stuff both into a typical 1 liter pot, plus a Primus wind screen and lighter. It's what I keep in my car for whenever it may be necessary.

Pots with fins on bottom will save around 25% fuel all else being equal, I had a thread here several years ago with actual data I think.

The titanium stove Spork posted is quite interesting too, it's on amazon.ca for $21.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 03:39:48 AM by jzmtl »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 03:39:25 PM
$21 is way too much for us... we got this one to play with:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00B4FY8YO/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Only $19.99!  :D

I also picked up a small emergency stove- it's basically a laser cut steel card that folds into a stove, kind of like the Esbit one.  I don't know what brand it is, heck, it might even be an Esbit.  I just saw it for $6.99 and decided to give it a try.

The price certainly seemed worth it.  After I play with it a bit I might end up getting one for my Jeep kit.

Def

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 03:45:51 PM
I forgot to update what's happened to mine, the valve has failed, so they are replacing it. I will admit I've lost some confidence in it.

Just use the Esbit fuel in a well ventilated area, gives off some pretty noxious fumes

Esbit's Material Safety Data Sheet states combustion can create formaldehyde, ammonia, nitrogen oxide, hydrogen cyanide and ingestion may cause nausea, vomiting, gastrointestinal disturbances, and kidney damage. When burned, the chemical oxidation of the fuel yields noxious fumes, requiring foods being cooked to be contained in a receptacle such as a pot or pan with a tight fitting lid.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: March 05, 2017, 04:41:26 PM
Right, so don't use it in the Jeep with the top up, doors on and all the windows rolled up....

I think I can manage that!

I doubt I'd have ever used something like that inside anyway.  The only camp stove I have used inside the house was a Coleman propane stove.  Since many people cook with propane in the house, and I have a carbon monoxide detector, I wasn't overly concerned about harmful fumes.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: March 06, 2017, 02:16:01 AM
According to the package, it is an Esbit stove.

For the price I can see having a bunch of them kicking around- it almost seems silly not to have them.

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #18 on: March 06, 2017, 03:42:19 AM

For the price I can see having a bunch of them kicking around- it almost seems silly not to have them.

Def

This reminds me, I stuffed one of those Coghlan's esbit stove inside my car, and completely forgot about it until now, including the time I actually needed a stove...

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: March 07, 2017, 12:40:39 AM

Def

This reminds me, I stuffed one of those Coghlan's esbit stove inside my car, and completely forgot about it until now, including the time I actually needed a stove...

Oops.  :D

Half of EDC gear is having it when you need it.  The other half is remembering that you have it when you need it!  :D

Def

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: March 10, 2017, 05:11:58 AM
I've got a Jetboil Flash.

For normal cooking it can be a bit hit and miss (does noodles alright....) but I still do most of my cooking on a "proper" gas camping stove with pans.

but it has made me hundreds of coffees across Australia and never let me down.

I buy coleman canisters at half the price of Jetboil brand ones (they don't fit inside the cup though - not an issue for me in the truck. May upset hikers)

If you get the minimo, let me know how it goes.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #21 on: March 10, 2017, 10:05:24 PM
Oh yeah that reminds me, you can only fit those baby sized jetboil canisters inside the cup, so you are either stuck with high expense of those or lose the nesting advantage of it all.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: March 10, 2017, 11:42:51 PM
Thanks for the input guys- I hadn't considered the nesting issue too heavily, mostly because until now I hadn't had a lot of experience with the canisters.  Most of my stoves are naptha/white gas/Coleman stove fuel (Svea Optima, WhisperLite international, Coleman Easi-Lite), alcohol (Mini Trangia), wood (Bio Lite) or propane (Coleman 2 burner stove) so this is a new experience for me.

The Amazon stove arrived the other day but I haven't even had a chance to pull it out of the package yet!   :ahhh

Hopefully this weekend 'll get out to give it a try with a simple Mountain House meal.

Def

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: April 03, 2017, 12:27:59 AM
I don't really have a story here, just backing up my jetboil for noodles story to maintain my street cred...

(fire ban season in Aus, hence the lack of woodfire (in another pic, in another thread, you'll see me disregard these laws entirely)

Jetboil.jpg
* Jetboil.jpg (Filesize: 104.59 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24