Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Cease and Desist

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Leatherman Cease and Desist
Reply #60 on: May 02, 2017, 11:17:05 AM
Considering I can still buy "Leatherman" with gold plating and damascene blades I doubt this is the end of it (e.g. TTC Shogun in Switzerland).

But I see now, that TTC adds a printing on the frame of the tool "modified by Texas Tool Crafters". That should take care of the re-sell market as well.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 11:18:26 AM by Etherealicer »
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #61 on: May 02, 2017, 03:18:52 PM
Glad an agreement was met and that both parties should benefit from this.  TTC still can stay in business and mod tools :like: and LM wot have to spend time arguing with people and having to tell them they can't fix a tool under warranty because it has been modified :cheers: :like:

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #62 on: May 07, 2017, 02:45:33 AM
I can still see Leatherman go after TTC for not doing enough. Really, the etched disclaimer can be rubbed off, they will be back to square one.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #63 on: May 07, 2017, 02:56:34 AM
I can still see Leatherman go after TTC for not doing enough. Really, the etched disclaimer can be rubbed off, they will be back to square one.

Hopefully LM will take a leap of faith for TTC, since it does seem like they are trying to comply :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #64 on: May 07, 2017, 03:29:22 AM
Just happy I bought all of my TTC stuff prior to this.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #65 on: May 22, 2017, 01:54:00 AM
TTC is back but only with the coated and Damascus tools.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: June 03, 2017, 01:31:50 AM
This type of thing should calm down in US after Impression Vs Lexmark SCOTUS ruling in favor of the mod & resell company

https://www.wired.com/2017/06/impression-v-lexmark/amp/
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #67 on: June 03, 2017, 04:34:53 AM
This type of thing should calm down in US after Impression Vs Lexmark SCOTUS ruling in favor of the mod & resell company

https://www.wired.com/2017/06/impression-v-lexmark/amp/
It has been forever since the last time I heard of Lexmark. My first printer was a Lexmark 15 years ago. Nowadays, HP is my go-to brand for inkjet printers (HP computers still suck though)

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #68 on: July 11, 2017, 10:25:52 AM
TTC Damascus replacement blades are on sale, half price!
https://txtoolcrafters.com/collections/tools-of-the-month
BUCK: X-Tract, 360
GERBER: Clutch, Shortcut, Dime*, DimE*, Octane & Crucial FAST
MP600 NN, CentreDrive, Grappler
Diesel*, Nickle*, Bullrush, MP600 BN, Flik & MP600DET* all in BO
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
Crunch, MTO Style CS, Sideclip, BO Kick*
SOG: PowerAccess, Blacktip*, HD PPP
VICTORINOX: SwissTool Std, X(CS), & RS all with red logo, Spirit XBS
*=mod

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #69 on: July 11, 2017, 10:36:38 AM
And now they won't ship to the UK, they did before  :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #70 on: July 11, 2017, 04:43:04 PM
And now they won't ship to the UK, they did before  :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:

Bah those blades are pretty crumby steel.  If it was damasteel or even some other stainless Damascus sure.  But those things are so rust prone.  I had one here on a wave and no way I wanted to keep it so I sold it. 
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #71 on: July 11, 2017, 05:58:46 PM

Bah those blades are pretty crumby steel.  If it was damasteel or even some other stainless Damascus sure.  But those things are so rust prone.  I had one here on a wave and no way I wanted to keep it so I sold it.
That's good to know. I had wondered about their version of Damascus.

I have not owned a TTC product - perhaps I find them too costly for what they are  - but I think they should be allowed to continue in their business.
SAW

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #72 on: July 11, 2017, 07:04:08 PM

That's good to know. I had wondered about their version of Damascus.

I have not owned a TTC product - perhaps I find them too costly for what they are  - but I think they should be allowed to continue in their business.

I wasn't after the blades, I was after the pocket clips. These have gone from their website now, but the general principle still stands, they won't ship to the UK
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: July 11, 2017, 11:46:48 PM
How is this any different from buying a truck from Toyota and taking it to your favorite body shop to have custom paint job and other changes?...

It isn't. But don't expect Toyota to warranty the things you changed or anything directly affected to/by the things you changed.

Sorry-late to the party...

Overall I think Grant is right on regarding trade mark, brand dilution, and warranty work. but ultimately I think it would understandably come down to mostly warranty repairs and injury claims - those last two of which are quantifiable damages. That being said...to continue the Toyota truck theme... what it seems TTC was doing was taking the truck totally apart, swapping out non factory manifolds, springs, bushings and headers, and colors, thus voiding the warranty. Then opening up an unauthorised Toyota dealership to sell them.

And when I buy that truck and take it to a legitimate dealer for repair, they say: what the hell is THIS?! That's not how WE make them...!

Or, I topple the truck over while four wheeling and sue Toyota, who then gets bad press while also spending millions $ on legal defense for something that may have nothing to do with them. But they 're dragged into it anyway.

And then, where do they go to get their reputation back?

(Or...the frame rusts out of my Toyota truck, and...oh, wait...that already was a thing...)

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #74 on: July 12, 2017, 12:00:18 AM
Choo Choo Customs will customize your Chevy truck, but some of what they do may void the Chevy warranty and I believe they will tell you that. So people who go there to have the truck modded take it to them of their own volition,and they take a truck that is either already out of warranty, or have only those mods done that won't affect the warranty, or have whatever they want done to a brand new truck after signing a waiver, where Choo Chop stands by their own work only, and Chevy may disown the truck, at their discretion,maybe depending on how many inches high the Rough Country lift kit is

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: July 12, 2017, 01:27:15 AM
They are back selling again, but now the headlines clearly says "TTC Modified Tool" and "Based on Leatherman Whatever". It also states they have no connection to Leatherman, that they provide their own limited warranty, and that the original warranty from Leatherman is void.

Seems like a fair enough approach.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: July 12, 2017, 03:04:59 PM
Glad they are back in business. They are my best hope for a FFG blade (154cm or better steel) for my Charge one beautiful day. Unless anyone has any suggestions of looking elsewhere?
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%