Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

travel jackets

ca Offline jcs0001

travel jackets
on: February 25, 2017, 02:09:18 AM
I really do not appreciate jackets with few pockets.  I figure a minimum of 4 is the baseline but at least 6 would be much better.  I went shopping recently for a lightweight jacket (with lining) for spring and fall use and was quite disappointed that they all had only 2 or 3 pockets.  I found a couple with 4 pockets but some were not zippered or were otherwise insecure.

Doing a bit of research online lead to the discovery of travel jackets - I started by recalling that National Geographic had one or two with lots of pockets and then went on from there.  It looks like ScotteVest is one of the main makers of such things - some have well over 20 pockets and some are even made for concealed carry.  I figured that I'd never find anything with so many pockets and there are no opportunities locally to try them out.

Another option was an indiegogo kickstarter baubax.  I didn't look seriously at this but it apparently has a built in travel pillow among other things. :D

I eventually found a regular Michael Kors jacket locally that has 8 pockets, most secured with zippers and purchased it.  It is quite satisfactory for my needs and much preferred over the one it replaces that had 3 plus one really small one.

Just thought this might be of interest to someone on the forum.

John.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Re: travel jackets
Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 04:55:22 PM
The pockets on my wife's ScotteVest jacket have torn and the jacket doesn't appear to be good quality.

She has sewn extra pockets inside some of my jackets.

There is a wider variety of multi pocket vests available than multi pocket jackets.   :(
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 05:05:07 PM
My old work vest had lots of pockets and I loved it because I carried a lot of gear for work. 

For regular jackets I am happy with 2-3 pockets as I rarely put anything in jacket pockets as I am too paranoid about things falling out of them.  I want a place to put my hands and maybe my phone and a roll of poop bags for the dogs.  I keep poop bags in all of my jackets so that im covered whichever jacket I grab when taking my dogs out.

Pants need as many pockets as possible though. 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 08:06:23 PM
Parnass - Interesting to hear of problems with the ScotteVest - they certainly don't price them as give a ways.  I was prepared to do some modification if needed but fortunately did not need to do that.

You are certainly correct that there are more options in vests but I doubt I'd wear one much and I don't fish :o

Grant - you should change to cats - don't need the poop bags in your pockets then >:D   (ducks for cover).

John.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 08:08:12 PM
I have a cat too.

Given the choice, I'll take the poop bags over the litter box any day.

But, since I do both, I guess it's a moot point anyway....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

br Offline BleaKrytE

• Hello world. I'm Vinícius!
Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 03:32:38 AM
I find the Natgeo store to have some pretty nice vests and jackets with loads of pockets in them

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 02:38:31 AM
BleaKrytE - yes they do have some very nice goods.  I bought something a long time back so I receive their Christmas catalogue/flyer every year.  Unfortunately in Canada with the exchange rates and shipping costs it is pretty much prohibitively expensive for most of their goods. 

John.

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 10:38:27 AM
BleaKrytE - yes they do have some very nice goods.  I bought something a long time back so I receive their Christmas catalogue/flyer every year.  Unfortunately in Canada with the exchange rates and shipping costs it is pretty much prohibitively expensive for most of their goods. 

John.
Think positively. Could be worse, you could live in Brazil with import rates of 70% of item value + shipping and high exchange rates

Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 07:21:04 PM
I do like a jacket with multiple pockets.  Deep, secure breast pockets are really handy IMO, something in the idea of a M65 is great.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

scotland Offline gardenvalley

Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 09:29:44 AM
http://www.rohandesigns.com

They`re in the U.S. though but it`s worth a look. I`ve got a few of their clothing items and they`re very good.
Thi`s signature contain`s no superfluou`s apostrophe`s

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 02:13:09 AM
BleaKryte - That makes things very expensive, no doubt at all.

John

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 02:29:26 AM
BleaKryte - That makes things very expensive, no doubt at all.

John
Importing things here is basically prohibitively expensive

Offline justbill

Reply #12 on: April 16, 2017, 03:20:01 PM
My old work vest had lots of pockets and I loved it because I carried a lot of gear for work. 

For regular jackets I am happy with 2-3 pockets as I rarely put anything in jacket pockets as I am too paranoid about things falling out of them.  I want a place to put my hands and maybe my phone and a roll of poop bags for the dogs.  I keep poop bags in all of my jackets so that im covered whichever jacket I grab when taking my dogs out.

Pants need as many pockets as possible though. 

Def

Hi Grant. I agree on lots of pockets for gear, but I'm too lazy to carry poop bags for my girls, they carry their own in a purse on their collars (I told them it's only fair, they make the poop and I'm carrying water for us all).  :D

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #13 on: May 07, 2017, 11:41:29 AM
I got a Men's Frontier Jacket from ROHAN .  It was last years model and in their sale on-line.  11 pockets, many deep,

Their sizing is unusual, so I would try on in-shop (there's one in Covent Garden, London), or order two sizes (what you expect and one size bigger).  I ordered two sizes (they recommended I do that), tried on in-shop and kept the fitting one and returned the other in-shop for a full refund.  They were happy with that.

I have had some ScoteVest hidden cargo pants before, but quality was not very good --- zippers failed.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: May 07, 2017, 05:00:39 PM
Good looking jacket that. :)

Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #15 on: May 07, 2017, 10:23:12 PM
I have some pocket vests and used them (one is a special black hooded astronomy vest I always use during stargazing, with 4 huge and another 7 pockets for eyepieces anf things like that). I looked around for a pocketed jacket for a while as my EDC evolved but you can't wear a jacket here from April to October and I found that it was more practical to use the Victorinox bags with my "bag in bag" system. Everything is in one place and I easily move all my EDC from the monosling to the briefcase and to the backpack. I almost always carry one of the three with me.

Here I am on the left with my astronomy vest.

tasos-kostas.jpg
* tasos-kostas.jpg (Filesize: 58.85 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24