Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Hobbyist Golfer

us Offline Enginears

The Hobbyist Golfer
on: February 04, 2023, 05:48:55 AM
Hello everyone, I had this idea kicking around for the last few weeks and got it done today.

The idea:
 84 mm golfer using wenger scissors and a phillips in place of the corkscrew. A hidden file tossed in the liner as well.

The donors:
Waiter - combo tool, spacer, blade, back-spring, liners
Recruit - back-spring, liner
Traveler - scissors, spacer
Tinker - phillips
Classic SD - file

So after looking through the threads about wenger scissors I was a bit confused because some people had them on the small end and some on the large end. After trying both ways I thought the small side was most doable. Getting the spacers right was a bit of fiddling but in the end pretty simple. 

I kind of slacked on process photos since I got carried away, but this was my most careful mod yet, I mostly resisted the temptation to rush it.

The cons: while I got the scissor snap to be pretty perfect, there are some other minor issues. Due to my setup the spring sits lopsided with the scissor side poking out a bit and the spacer side sunken in a bit, nothing obscene but not perfect. Along with this there is a bit of play in the closed position of the scissors which allows it to bounce back up a bit if its closed in a certain way. Again, not obscene but imperfect. It closes perfectly when I close them my usual way, and it is not loose or jostling around at all when closed.

Anyway, I can’t carry it due to the camper challenge, but once I do I will report back. If anyone has any pointers on the wenger scissor and recruit spring setup it would be great to hear.

us Offline Enginears

Re: The Hobbyist Golfer
Reply #1 on: February 04, 2023, 05:54:35 AM
Shots of the lopsided spring.    

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #2 on: February 04, 2023, 05:29:40 PM
Looks great and I really love the file located in to the liner like. The scissors thing is a pain as it all fits really nicely apart form that but only take a tiny bit of grinding on the spring’s ledge to get it all lining up nicely :0)

us Offline Enginears

Reply #3 on: February 06, 2023, 07:41:04 PM
Looks great and I really love the file located in to the liner like. The scissors thing is a pain as it all fits really nicely apart form that but only take a tiny bit of grinding on the spring’s ledge to get it all lining up nicely :0)

Thanks, just from playing with the action of it I am growing to like it. I ended up filing down the part of the spring that was sticking up on the back, not 100% but still much better. Also, The screw on the scissors kept coming loose so I had to tighten it and use the punch on it. The extra tension on the scissor arm seems to have fixed it from bouncing up. Now it just settles into position no matter how you close it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%