Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I've been carrying a multitool for a few months, my thoughs...

gb Offline Damsel

• Damsel in this dress
Back when i joined in November, I had my multitool for about a week. It's nothing special, just a cheapy from China which cost less than £10, including postage. I wanted to get a cheap one to start with because I'd hate to spend £70+ on a tool and either hate it, or not use it. I knew the one I bought wasn't that great, and it had it's limits, so I made sure not to have a huge expectation.

Safe to say, i am hooked and wish I had started carrying one sooner! This thing has been living in my pocket every day since I got it, and I've used it so much. I never realised how useful it would be until I started carrying it. One of the very first tasks was nearly a little too much for it, I used it to take apart a bed with screws that hadn't moved in probably 20 years, and they were pretty tight but they managed. I then used it to wire a new plug on a vacuum cleaner, and the different screwdrivers and blade were very useful. Since then I've used it for a lot of things from opening boxes to wiring household sockets and plenty in between. I even took apart a sofa with it! It has never let me down and I feel naked without it.  Sure I don't use it every day, but it gets used a handful of times a week and I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Things I like
The price - I've spent more money on snacks than I have on this tool. If it fell apart in the first week i wouldn't be upset. It's really cheap
The tools - The multitool has plenty of tools I use, and only a couple I don't but might eventually need. I think the only thing I haven't a use for is the fish scaler. The file on the other side is nice though!
The weight - It's not too heavy but not too light either, I definitely feel it in my pocket but I like that, it helps me know that it's there when I need it., and that I haven't lost or forgotten it. The only problem I have with it is my jeans sometimes fall down when I'm running up the stairs  :o
Pliers - This has pliers! I love carrying them around with me and they've proven to be very very useful. From moving hot things, to cutting wires, to fixing my cars windscreen wipers. So so useful.
Ease of use - Everything (except for the pliers) is accessible from the outside of the tool. I don't have to open it up to use something, really speeds things up,

Things I dislike
The quality - This is a cheap tool so the quality isn't the best, but I'm very surprised at what I get for the price. I only dislike the quality because I know I can't do too much medium/heavy work with it, and the steel isn't the best etc.
Clumping - It is very annoying that I cannot open one tool with pretty much the rest on that side opening, and if I push those closed, the tool I want moves with them too! It's only a minor inconvenience but still annoying.
Sharpness - The straight edge knife wasn't very sharp but that's something I can easily deal with, and it's fine for opening boxes etc. The serrated knife is as sharp as a spoon and much more difficult to rectify, but I'm sure it's possible. I haven't used this much because of that.
The size - It's a little bit large to carry in my girl pockets sometimes, and leaves a very visible lump at the side of my leg. Sometimes I catch it on the railings of my stairs. It also makes it difficult to put anything else in the same pocket. It did come with a sheath but I hate wearing it, it sticks out too much and I don't like the look of it.

Overall I like it! I definitely want to upgrade to something else. The main problem is UK knife laws so I'm restricted somewhat. I can't see myself not carrying a multitool anymore though. To finish off the thread, some photos!

Thanks for reading
Danielle
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 01:08:46 AM by Damsel »
:angel: Sugar, spice and everything nice.  :angel:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
I'm glad to hear that your experiment worked out as well as it did!

I've always said that if you gave anyone a multitool for a week they would probably miss it so much when it was gone that they'd buy one almost immediately.

It seems your independent testing has come to the same conclusion.  The only question is, where do you go from here?  Keep using this one?  Upgrade to something else?  If so, what?

Oh, and the fish scaler is fantastic for carving pumpkins for Halloween.  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Damsel

• Damsel in this dress
I'm glad to hear that your experiment worked out as well as it did!

I've always said that if you gave anyone a multitool for a week they would probably miss it so much when it was gone that they'd buy one almost immediately.

It seems your independent testing has come to the same conclusion.  The only question is, where do you go from here?  Keep using this one?  Upgrade to something else?  If so, what?

Oh, and the fish scaler is fantastic for carving pumpkins for Halloween.  :D

Def

I think I'll keep this one for a while until it either breaks or my uses require something a little more durable. This mostly gets used for opening packages and that sort of thing so quality isn't too important, but I wouldn't want a downgrade on the tools. What I'd upgrade to I have no idea. I'd really like a leatherman but most aren't UK legal, and I'm not overly fond of the ones that are. Except for the squirtPS4 but that's too small to replace this.

I had never thought of using it to carve pumpkins, finally a use for it!

Danielle

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
It doesn't matter how good another tool is if you don't have it.   :D

Is there anything that you find lacking on this one?  Or some tool/function that you wished you had but didn't?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
If you do not want to spent too much by buying a LM, gerber, victorinox etc. you may look at some rebranded multi tools from Bahco, black and decker and so on.
These should be better than the no name multitools and they should be cheap. Look on amazon uk.
You could try buying second hand too, but most second hand tools will be on ebay and you will not be able to get them in the uk.

I have had two bahco multtools for a few years and they work fine
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Welcome to the MT madness.

I would suggest you getting a Leatherman Sidekick or wingman, depending on you like scissors or saw, use T10 bits to remove the blade and leave a couple washers in place to make the MT UK legal. Very easy mod to do. And carry a separate slip joint knife with it.   
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
How does the Spirit get along with UK laws?
It's got outside opening tools and the quality is obviously stellar, so it would be an excellent upgrade if it's not a problem legally.

Other than that... One of the LM Juice models?

gb Offline Damsel

• Damsel in this dress
How does the Spirit get along with UK laws?
It's got outside opening tools and the quality is obviously stellar, so it would be an excellent upgrade if it's not a problem legally.

Other than that... One of the LM Juice models?

Locking blades I believe so not UK legal.
Danielle

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Great hearing you carrying a MT has worked out for you.  If you have any friends that have MTs you could handle and possibly try out that would be great. 

I think a PST would be a UK legal MT.  It also has a good amount of tools and is slim enough for girly pockets  :D 
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Another option to consider would be one of SOG's Powerlock or PPP. The former is easily modded and made bladeless, the PPP dfoes not lock. I'm sure you'd love the great Compound Leverage system and you can buy individual pieces/implements for modding at Heinnie's, an excellent UK based seller.
Or from our great British members here!  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Re: I've been carrying a multitool for a few months, my thoughs...
Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 06:40:59 PM
For non-locking blades, you can look for a Leatherman Kick.  It is inexpensive but a nice compact tool set.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 07:29:52 PM
For non-locking blades, you can look for a Leatherman Kick.  It is inexpensive but a nice compact tool set.

And unfortunately discontinued.  Kicks are getting a bit harder to find and pricing is getting a bit higher on them.

Def

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 10:10:29 PM
I'm intrigued by your story Damsel, may I ask which Multitool appeals to you?

Your story actually reminded me of a multitool I got free with fuel years ago - I had totally forgotten about it. It was by modern standards incredibly crude. The handles would really hurt my hands when pressure was applied using the pliers, other than that it served its purpose for years - I'm now tying to remember what happened to it.

I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%