Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Great SAK Retirement Thread

br Offline BleaKrytE

• Hello world. I'm Vinícius!
The Great SAK Retirement Thread
on: March 05, 2017, 03:37:06 AM
Just thought it would be cool to have a thread to honor all the time our SAKs have faithfully served us. Will post my Lil' Classic retirement tomorrow ^^
Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: The Great SAK Retirement Thread
Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 10:33:22 AM
 :nothingtoadd:
 :popcorn:
(I have no retired tools yet)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 04:03:18 PM
So, my little Classic is now retired. It was my first SAK, that I bought without my parents knowing, because they didn't want me to have one. Had to say I found it on the street. They believed me, even though it was on the box and brand new  :facepalm:
After two years, I am sure that was money well spent. Never had one problem with it, and it was useful as hell. Now that I have a replacement for it, I will leave it on it's box for some rest, and also because I don't want to lose it hahah
Only wish I still had the sheath. I bet it would be cozier in it hahah
Thanks little pal!  :D
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 04:04:58 PM by BleaKrytE »
Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 05:10:58 PM
So, my little Classic is now retired. It was my first SAK, that I bought without my parents knowing, because they didn't want me to have one. Had to say I found it on the street. They believed me, even though it was on the box and brand new  :facepalm:
After two years, I am sure that was money well spent. Never had one problem with it, and it was useful as hell. Now that I have a replacement for it, I will leave it on it's box for some rest, and also because I don't want to lose it hahah

The Classic is just that, a classic!  This is a remarkable SAK that punches way above its weight and is extremely handy.

BTW, when Victorinox "Retires" a SAK, it means that they have removed that model from production.  So, you are using "Retired" to mean that you are removing it from your personal use, putting it out to pasture (as the saying goes).

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 05:22:02 PM
Thinking of putting this old Bantam on a Viking fireship and sending it off to Valhalla.
On the other hand I could just stick it on ebay for a coupla bucks and let someone else find out how useless I am at sharpening these things.
oldbantam.jpg
* oldbantam.jpg (Filesize: 169.79 KB)

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 05:24:29 PM
BTW, when Victorinox "Retires" a SAK, it means that they have removed that model from production.  So, you are using "Retired" to mean that you are removing it from your personal use, putting it out to pasture (as the saying goes).
Yes, I am. I always thought the term for removing a sak from production was "discontinuing" hahah

us Offline The Lone Wanderer

• High Octane Gasoline
Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 05:51:05 PM
My Tinker is semi-retired at this point. I used it for a good 10-12 years and keep it in a pouch now. It has too much sentimental value at this point. I might get another Tinker and put some nice metal scales on it and carry it on a P7 to complement my Swisschamp.
Last of the V8 Interceptors

us Offline TonySal

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 08:11:23 PM
See my pretty bad phone avi, the green one is over 60 years old, retired and pampered....
join KNIFE RIGHTS

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 09:25:45 PM
My Vic Sportsman was handed to me by my parents as a child.
Although I have never abused it, and quite pampered it, it's retired now since it remembers me where it all started.

I also know that one day it'll be one of my most dearest memories to my parents when their time has come.
I hope that I won't have to look at it like that for the next 30 years but I know that I'm forever gratefull to be their son, and proud that they are the ones that I call mom and dad.

So the choice is definite.
This little fellow stays on display, front row and brings tears to my eyes whenever I think about everything that was handed to me.
From that little SAK, to an awfull amount of help around the house.

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 01:44:01 PM
I'm forever gratefull to be their son, and proud that they are the ones that I call mom and dad.

Your story, it touched my heart.  I believe your parents are also proud to have you as their son.
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 01:52:33 PM
I like having a wood saw and a serrated blade on my SAK, in addition to the plain blade. So I have been carrying a Fireman for years. I replaced the red scales with camo ones. It has seen a lot of use and I was satisfied with its performance, but I would have liked a knife that was a bit smaller and lighter. So, I'm glad I recently acquired a Swiss Bianco Carver SW. It will replace my Fireman, which is now retired. Because the Carver doesn't have any openers it will have the company of a Waiter, or a Compact, or a Tourist, whatever I feel like carrying that day. The two SAKs combined will weigh less than the Fireman.
DSC04301-fireman.jpg
* DSC04301-fireman.jpg (Filesize: 320.88 KB)
DSC04302-carver.jpg
* DSC04302-carver.jpg (Filesize: 316.55 KB)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 01:53:56 PM by Ronald Schröder »

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 01:55:32 PM
 :like: Mine too.  My parents passed away many years ago, but I still have the Huntsman that Dad picked up for me on a business trip back in October 1983.  Up until about 2 years ago, it was my EDC. 
I'm forever gratefull to be their son, and proud that they are the ones that I call mom and dad.

Your story, it touched my heart.  I believe your parents are also proud to have you as their son.
IMG_20170306_075428.jpg
* IMG_20170306_075428.jpg (Filesize: 117.9 KB)
Barry

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 02:27:28 PM
:like: Mine too.  My parents passed away many years ago, but I still have the Huntsman that Dad picked up for me on a business trip back in October 1983.  Up until about 2 years ago, it was my EDC. 

Thanks!

I do hope they're proud of me as well and that one day, I may have accomplished the things they did.

I'll throw in a pic of the Sportsman when I get home, just for the cheer fun of it :cheers:

Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 02:40:33 PM
I'll throw in a pic of the Sportsman when I get home, just for the cheer fun of it :cheers:
:D Yes, please do.  :like:

Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 02:53:15 PM
I still have the Huntsman that Dad picked up for me on a business trip back in October 1983.
Barry, one reason I want to retire early is to have more time with my parents.
My situation is different in that I gave my dad and my brothers their first Victorinox.  I gave them each an 84mm Tinker.  :D

I would have given them a Camper, but they are more likely to use the Phillips which was the reason for the Tinker.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 02:56:01 PM by FolderBeholder »

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #15 on: March 06, 2017, 03:37:57 PM
Although I have never abused it, and quite pampered it, it's retired now since it remembers me where it all started.

I also know that one day it'll be one of my most dearest memories to my parents when their time has come.
I hope that I won't have to look at it like that for the next 30 years but I know that I'm forever gratefull to be their son, and proud that they are the ones that I call mom and dad.

This little fellow stays on display, front row and brings tears to my eyes whenever I think about everything that was handed to me.
That was deep. You have my respect man

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #16 on: March 06, 2017, 04:42:42 PM
It's well worth it Lisa!  I was a career man for too long...watched my family grow up and most of my relatives are gone now too. 
I've switched roles in that now I spread the good news of SAK love!!  Passing it on to a whole new generation  :D
I still have the Huntsman that Dad picked up for me on a business trip back in October 1983.
Barry, one reason I want to retire early is to have more time with my parents.
My situation is different in that I gave my dad and my brothers their first Victorinox.  I gave them each an 84mm Tinker.  :D

I would have given them a Camper, but they are more likely to use the Phillips which was the reason for the Tinker.
Barry

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: March 06, 2017, 05:05:24 PM

That was deep. You have my respect man

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
:cheers:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: March 06, 2017, 06:01:16 PM

There it is!
In the middle between 2 shelf queens.

One is my birth year DAK, the other a Spartan that I bought during my first holliday far from home with my girlfriend.

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #19 on: March 06, 2017, 09:17:51 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

There it is!
In the middle between 2 shelf queens.

One is my birth year DAK, the other a Spartan that I bought during my first holliday far from home with my girlfriend.
(Image removed from quote.)
Now I know what you mean by "pampering it". It's almost in better shape than my 5 month old ST xD

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #20 on: March 06, 2017, 09:54:55 PM
Nice!!!  Thanks for sharing with us!!
Barry

Reply #21 on: March 07, 2017, 02:13:23 AM
+1  :like:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: March 07, 2017, 06:50:44 AM

Some polish from time to time does miracles :D]
Now I know what you mean by "pampering it". It's almost in better shape than my 5 month old ST xD

+1  :like:
You're welcome! :cheers:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: March 11, 2020, 01:02:33 AM
 :SAKnight:                                                                                                                                                                           :SAKnight:

After many years of faithful service, my Victorinox Alox Soldier 2005 is going into retirement.

I purchased the Soldier in 2007.  By that time I had been several years into the habit of carrying a multitool.  Influenced by the stainless scales of mid-century slipjoints, the classic scout knife pattern, and minimalism, this became my EDC.  At a point in my life where slicing and opening had long replaced wrenching and tightening, the Alox Soldier was a totem of my lifestyle and hobbies, indeed it had been since 2005. 

For many years, I used the blade where scissors would have made quick work; while using a saw in the woods meant that you didn't have the skill to do well without.  Stubbornness... some would call it.  Now with more adjustments in life, I find that the old Soldier gets paired up with scissors in the city, and a saw in the woods. Though it remains the backbone, it doesn't see the action it used to. 

With some new acquisitions, I have made the difficult decision to retire my Alox Soldier in order to preserve its history and integrity.

2007 - 2020

* soldier.jpg (Filesize: 8.37 KB)

nz Offline Storm

Reply #24 on: March 11, 2020, 02:11:52 AM
Go to your well earned rest, good and faithful servant .
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are "

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: March 11, 2020, 12:00:11 PM
 :salute:  :cheers:

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: March 11, 2020, 04:36:58 PM
I carried this black Compact for quite a few years.  Then the Pioneer X was introduced, and I've carried one since.  So the Compact is now retired.
Retired - 1.jpeg
* Retired - 1.jpeg (Filesize: 170.48 KB)
- Steve

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #27 on: March 12, 2020, 12:43:03 AM
I have only one that I would consider retired, ol’Blackie. I carried this pioneer from September 2012 to December 25th, 2018. She’s only retired because my kids got me a 2018 berry red pioneer for Christmas that year.

This was the knife I had in my pocket when all my kids were born. If something were to happen to my berry pioneer, this one would be right back in my pocket.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #28 on: March 12, 2020, 02:45:26 AM
I'll be honest, I don't get the retirement thing  :think: :dunno:

If it works, I'll use it.
If it doesn't work, I'll fix it (eventually)
If I can't fix it, it gets broke for spares, or thrown away.

Just my nature  :-\

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: March 12, 2020, 05:35:27 PM
I am of a similar mind AW however I can see a tool that was passed down from someone that has served you well you may want to set aside.  I don't have retired tools per se as any tool I find useful I like to use. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD