Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Stand up and be counted- UK based rogues!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Stand up and be counted- UK based rogues!
on: March 05, 2017, 04:37:45 PM
Given that the UK doesn't allow locking blades, I started to wonder- how many UK based members do we have that risk Her Majesty's displeasure by carrying a locking blade multitool, SAK, tactical knife or worse- a dreaded fixed blade?

If you answer to the positive, I wold appreciate hearing your reasoning for taking the chance of being locked up in the Tower Of London, or the circumstances that you carry it under if it isn't your EDC.

Of course if you are somewhere else with blade restrictions that you have decided to ignore (Germany, I am waving at you with one hand....  :pok:) feel free to add your thoughts as well.

Here in Canada we are not allowed to have balisongs, push knives and automatics, but frankly I have never felt the need to have any of those anyway, so no great loss there.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Stand up and be counted- UK based rogues!
Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 04:59:06 PM
This thread is monitored by your local constabulary
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 05:03:53 PM
I always carry a SAK, unless I'm going out to a pub or a gig (very occasional these days).

If I'm out for a bimble in the countryside I'll take my Spirit or Izula II as well, if I plan to do something that will serve as an excuse for carrying either. I have the massive advantage of being white and approaching middle age so the likelihood of me being stopped is miniscule. I wish it was the same for everyone else.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 05:07:26 PM
Well, I don't live in the UK but in Spain, and the law here is pretty vaguely written and strict as in most Europe. No autos, no +11 cm blades, no double edged...
And basically if you're caught with a blade on your person you must have a "reasonable explanation" as to why did you have it. No SAKs on airports or public buildings, not even a Micra on schools and government buildings...etc the usual stuff

I have a SAK and a 4 inch + folder on me everyday since many years ago, and I've never ever been asked, stopped or fined for carrying one.
Of course I do not use it in public, and all cuts are done with smallish blades or SAKs if necessary, but in general if you behave and act like a normal person no problems at all.

That is of course in my experience, living in a urban European city and going through the town like everybody else.
Only times I've had looks were when leaving the folder on the X-Ray tray at the security check of some Banks and Government buildings.

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 06:02:17 PM

Fat, Old and White here  :salute:

If asked I'm off to do a bit of gardening  :cheers:
Everything’s adjustable

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 06:13:05 PM
Here, in the Most Mighty and Honourable Republic of Ireland, the knive carrying laws are stricter than in the UK, as I understand them.
The law is worded such that any object with a point or blade, from pencils and needles and 58mm classics to big swords, is an offence to carry in public, without that all-important "reasonable excuse".
Show content
I know that, normally, police officers will not need you to provide an excuse for the pencil, but it give courts lots of ammunition to use if they want throw the lawbook at you.  ::)

I regularly carry my Rambler in my pocket, because I don't expect to be stopped/searched and no one gets to see it.  :whistle:
(And I have a bladeless Hiker, so I pretty much have everything covered(I edc standalone pliers). You can get a lot done with the 58mm blade.  :tu: )

Of course, no blades at night social functions.   :drink:
14887339159591583198063.jpg
* 14887339159591583198063.jpg (Filesize: 156.2 KB)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 06:28:55 PM
If in a urban environment I carry a slipjoint of legal lengh, or a pst or juice,yes i know with the handles closed on a pst it kind of locks the blade but hey ho,  as for in the wilds etc I carry a super tool and a mora around my neck  :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 06:31:03 PM

Short of a visit from Interpol agents, there's no chance I'll be handing over any IP addresses or any other identification information for the authorities to use to track down our "dangerous offenders."

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 06:46:12 PM

Short of a visit from Interpol agents, there's no chance I'll be handing over any IP addresses or any other identification information for the authorities to use to track down our "dangerous offenders."

Def
Is this the number thingy that you are talking about?
 :P

Edit: used what instead of that.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 06:48:06 PM by Pablo O'Brien »

All hail the hook!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 06:53:30 PM
Something like that... who's IP is that?  I am not seeing it anywhere.

Def

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 06:54:39 PM
Something like that... who's IP is that?  I am not seeing it anywhere.

Def
You think I would let the "constabulary" see a valid ip?  :think:

All hail the hook!

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 06:59:26 PM
I have and do carry locking blades and Multi, fixed blades and even axes completely legally in the UK.

Locking and fixed blades are not illegal in the UK, carrying them without a good reason is. Carrying a 58mm SAK in the wrong place will end up with you being charged with carrying an offensive weapon, the same as a rolled up news paper will.

The knife laws here really aren't hard to understand.

If they were seriously looking to reduce knife crime they would have to remove kitchen knives from sale because they are used in the majority of assaults involving a knife.

There is a category of knives that are illegal I can't remember them all, Balisongs, gravity knives, push daggers, concealed knives (belt buckle or cane swords). The list goes on
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 07:01:46 PM
Would a mod like to find out where I'm posting this from?

Just for fun, this is my IP address 103.255.239.15
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 07:04:55 PM by Smashie »
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 07:05:18 PM
I agree on the kitchen knives.
Show content
AFAIK, there is no store selling SAKs or pocket knives in my town, but packs of cheapo kitchen knives in every supermarket.  :facepalm:

Yes please, where are you now and do you have a SAK? Got interpol on speed dial.  :whistle:
They promise me your collection if I call them.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 07:06:44 PM by Pablo O'Brien »

All hail the hook!

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 07:07:07 PM
Show content
AFAIK, there is no store selling SAKs or pocket knives in my town, but packs of cheapo kitchen knives in every supermarket.  :facepalm:

Yes please, where are you now and do you have a SAK? Got interpol on speed dial.  :whistle:

I've given my IP address https://www.iplocation.net/

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 07:08:46 PM
Show content

That link tells me I'm in another town.  :facepalm:

Edit: EUREK-API works, but DP-IP says I'm 100km away.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 07:10:42 PM by Pablo O'Brien »

All hail the hook!

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #16 on: March 05, 2017, 07:11:50 PM
Show content

It's your ISP's nearest node, mine also tells me I'm in Oxford, which I'm not. I'm also nowhere near where my current IP address shows. Mods please take note I don't normally do this to use the forum, just showing how useless an IP address can be

That link tells me I'm in another town.  :facepalm:

england Offline Kev D

Reply #17 on: March 06, 2017, 01:55:10 PM
I carry a sak most of the time nowadays, and always have a LM style on my keys. As for locking blades, I tend not to carry a multi that has a locking knife blade unless I have a valid reason for it. Unless they see me using one (as has happened in the past) I'm unlikely to be stopped and searched for a knife. I'm like some of the others, in my 40's, not acting like a yob and if I do draw their eye it's usually for my dragon walking stick I use. It works well to distract people from what they were actually going to ask me.

Yesterday while shopping I carried my swisschamp and openly got it out in the supermarket many times to use the pen to cross items off my shopping list. I lined up each item on the list on the scales to give me a firm surface to scribble out the item. No one even looked twice at it. I wonder if that would have been the case if I had been a spotty youth in a hoody. If they did look at me twice it was probably to think I was a scruffy smurf after chucking tea down myself in the in store cafe before I shopped.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #18 on: March 06, 2017, 06:32:09 PM
I rarely pocket carry anything locking, but do usually have a multitool with at least one locking blade in my bag - because I like to have one around.  I always have a multitool of some sort in my bike toolkit too, but that (to my mind) is a good reason.  I'm middle aged, middle class, live in middle England and rarely go to the pub or large towns though, so extremely unlikely to get stopped.  I do also have a non-locking option - a modified Kick that occasionally gets used.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 06:33:13 PM by hiraethus »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD