Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Car-related content

dks · 99 · 2378

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Car-related content
Reply #60 on: May 16, 2017, 11:06:45 AM
I posted some photo's of this place a little while ago when I took my son there.

Andrew StPierre-White has done a short video on it

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Car-related content
Reply #61 on: May 17, 2017, 08:40:09 PM
 :facepalm:    for you youngsters

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: May 17, 2017, 11:01:04 PM
pulled over in NSW for driving too slow in right lane of busy highway

filmed a rant accusing the highway patrol officer of being in the wrong

I'm fairly sure the left unless over taking on 80+ roads is standard across Australia.

*IF* she was from another State you might let is pass with a "Right, well now you know for next time love" (Doesn't excuse being an ass hat on the internet, but that's a separate issue)

What surprises me is that the traffic was going 90 at all on a NSW highway! - It doesn't say what road it was on, but if I can get above 60 on the motorways around sydney I'm stoked! (They're signposted for 90-100, but that is often just a dream....)

Fun (but semi unrelated)

Great bumper sticker for truckies (in RHD vehicles...)

« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 11:04:46 PM by Sea Monster »

nz Offline moonweasel

Reply #63 on: May 18, 2017, 07:30:16 AM
pulled over in NSW for driving too slow in right lane of busy highway

filmed a rant accusing the highway patrol officer of being in the wrong

I'm fairly sure the left unless over taking on 80+ roads is standard across Australia.

*IF* she was from another State you might let is pass with a "Right, well now you know for next time love" (Doesn't excuse being an ass hat on the internet, but that's a separate issue)

What surprises me is that the traffic was going 90 at all on a NSW highway! - It doesn't say what road it was on, but if I can get above 60 on the motorways around sydney I'm stoked! (They're signposted for 90-100, but that is often just a dream....)

Yeah, I am not Going to miss driving around Sydney at all. I think my car is going to get a shock getting over 70km/h for more than 30seconds.Once it's off the boat and out of the container that is.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #65 on: May 20, 2017, 12:02:32 AM
Tesla factory conditions

https://www.theguardian.c...tory-conditions-elon-musk
>:(

There goes the share price..

Ah well, a bit of bad publicity, price goes down - I buy more stock at a discount  :D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #66 on: May 21, 2017, 02:03:05 PM

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

england Offline Kev D

Reply #67 on: May 23, 2017, 01:32:10 PM
My car just failed it's MOT. Parking brake efficiency, which is probably because I rarely use it, I just leave it in park; 2 front tyres right on the legal limit, and a nail in my back tyre.

Brake is getting sorted by the garage now, and I'll stop off and get tyres after I get my car back after work.  I knew I'd get at least an advisory about the tyres so planned to get them this week anyway.  The tyres are the originals from new in 2012 so they've lasted well. The back still have plenty of meat left on them.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 01:33:23 PM by Kevin Davey »

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #68 on: May 23, 2017, 01:49:53 PM
Bear in mind that tyres age, so even if they look OK they may fail - They have an expiry date and production date  on them, I think

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #69 on: May 23, 2017, 07:05:10 PM
Bear in mind that tyres age, so even if they look OK they may fail - They have an expiry date and production date  on them, I think

WHS ^
Most tyres have a week/year of manufacture moulded into a sidewall, but I haven't ever seen an expiry date on a tyre.  Most manufacturers suggest they should be replaced after 5-6 years as the rubber can lose its grip and start to perish/crack.  I once had an old ute that didn't get driven much, when the tyres were 10 years old they had hardly any grip at all, especially on wet roads.  These days I just replace old tyres regardless of how much tread is left.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

england Offline Kev D

Reply #70 on: May 24, 2017, 02:22:18 PM
They had the year stamped on them, they were all stamped 2012. 2 new ones on the front, rear off side puncture repaired, everything balanced and tracked up. I went for mid range tyres as I don't need the full off road premium ones so got a good deal, and a free cuppa while they did them  :tu:

wales Offline caninesapien

Reply #71 on: May 24, 2017, 02:24:49 PM
A couple of months after buying our new car - ding - pothole on the motorway has dented nearside alloy wheel.  >:(

nz Offline moonweasel

Reply #72 on: May 24, 2017, 10:34:17 PM
Absolutely hanging out for my car at the moment. Over two weeks with no car and I am looking forward to the freedom again.
It's been hard following the progress of the ship, and then seeing it dock and no movement of the container for a couple of days.
Hopefully complied and registered today, (or tomorrow) ready for the weekend.
 :drool:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #73 on: May 25, 2017, 01:32:43 PM
I used to handle he importation of cars to Canada- I used to see everyone's cars before they did.  If I was doing that in your neighbourhood I'd send you pics of it as soon as it came off the boat!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #74 on: May 25, 2017, 10:54:26 PM
I wasn't aware that there was an automotive related thread on here so if no one minds I will post about my latest project.
Having been a sign artist/pinstriper since 1957 when I did my first car I have had the opportunity and honor to many different types of vehicles and other things as well.From automobiles to motorcycles to aircraft to just about anything that will stand still long enough this has been my lifelong,"profitable hobby". I have always considered it that rather than a business because having a business implies you HAVE to do the work whether you like it or not and I have always enjoyed doing what I do.
Anyway my latest project was a 1940's era midget race car powered by an Offenhauser engine. A good friend of mine who has had me paint several of them for him finally found an Offy powered midget and wanted his name emblazoned on the hood in gold leaf to match the numbers on the tail.He also brought along an old Thimble Drome tether car he had painted to look like the full sized car for me to letter as well. I'm not sure which was the easier to do.
For those who aren't familiar with the process of gilding I will show how I accomplished this particular job. It starts with making a pattern of the lettering to be done.This is drawn out on paper and then a tool called an Electro-Pounce is used to burn a series of holes in the paper following the letters.
The pattern is then placed on the surface to be lettered and a "pounce bag"(usually a piece of cloth filled with talcum powder or colored chalk)is tapped over the pattern transferring the design to the work.
Next the gold sizing;or adhesive that attaches the leaf is painted on.This is normally transparent so I tint it with a bit of color to make it easier to paint. The sizing is then allowed to get tacky(but not dry)enough to allow the leaf to be laid down.
The gold is actually real 23 karat gold pounded extremely thin and comes in 3in x 3in sheets in a book of 25.It is so delicate it cannot be picked up with the fingers and the slightest breeze will blow it off the sheet.There are a couple ways of applying it:some use what is called a,"gilder's tip" which is a wide brush that picks the gold up by means of static electricity.It can also be rolled onto the surface by folding back the protective sheet and rolling it onto the surface. I prefer this method as it allows you control more precisely where the leaf goes.
After the surface area is covered the excess leaf is removed by gently rubbing over it with a cotton ball.the leaf will only stick where the sizing is applied. I then allow it to sit overnight in preparation for the next step.
Next the gold is given an engine-turned effect.Some people do this by applying a velvet pad to a slowly turning electric drill and overlapping the circles 50%.This makes for a very uniform pattern but there are a couple of down sides to it:first it doesn't work well on curved surfaces(which this is)and there is a chance of damaging the leaf by exerting too much pressure. I prefer the old method of placing a piece of flannel cloth over my thumb and making the circles manually.It may not be as symmetrical as a machine but there is little chance of damaging the leaf and having to repair it.
After the burnishing is complete I clear coat the surface using either spar varnish or 1-Shot Sign Restoring Clear which dries faster and is crystal clear whereas the spar varnish has a yellowish tone to it.
After that dries I apply the outlining and shading of the letters and the job is complete!
Here are some pictures of the above outlined procedure and the finished product. On the model car I elected to use gold paint as I couldn't figure a way to burnish the lettering. Next time I might try using a Q-tip.
Hope you enjoy it as much as I did painting it.
JohnMorton'sOffyMidget#5-2 003.jpg
* JohnMorton'sOffyMidget#5-2 003.jpg (Filesize: 32.36 KB)
JohnMorton'sOffyMidget#5-2 002.jpg
* JohnMorton'sOffyMidget#5-2 002.jpg (Filesize: 25.23 KB)
JohnMorton'sOffyMidget#5-2 001.jpg
* JohnMorton'sOffyMidget#5-2 001.jpg (Filesize: 35.47 KB)
JohnMorton'sOffyMidget#5-2 006.jpg
* JohnMorton'sOffyMidget#5-2 006.jpg (Filesize: 52.29 KB)

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: May 25, 2017, 10:55:45 PM
Page 2
JohnMorton'sOffyMidget#5-2 007.jpg
* JohnMorton'sOffyMidget#5-2 007.jpg (Filesize: 41.12 KB)
JohnMortonsOffy#5-3 003.jpg
* JohnMortonsOffy#5-3 003.jpg (Filesize: 47.47 KB)
JohnMortonsOffy#5-3 004.jpg
* JohnMortonsOffy#5-3 004.jpg (Filesize: 48.34 KB)
JohnMortonsOffy#5-3 005.jpg
* JohnMortonsOffy#5-3 005.jpg (Filesize: 33.17 KB)

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: May 25, 2017, 10:57:04 PM
Page 3
JohnMortonsOffy#5-3 006.jpg
* JohnMortonsOffy#5-3 006.jpg (Filesize: 35.73 KB)
JohnMortonsOffy#5-3 007.jpg
* JohnMortonsOffy#5-3 007.jpg (Filesize: 34.98 KB)
JohnMortonsOffy#5-3 009.jpg
* JohnMortonsOffy#5-3 009.jpg (Filesize: 33.58 KB)
JohnMortonsOffy#5-3 010.jpg
* JohnMortonsOffy#5-3 010.jpg (Filesize: 53.71 KB)

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #77 on: May 25, 2017, 11:00:16 PM
Page 4 Some other cars I've done for John

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #78 on: May 25, 2017, 11:02:48 PM
Page 5 On this one the grille wasn't quite ready so I painted one on to look like a real grille.
Midget011.jpg
* Midget011.jpg (Filesize: 112.02 KB)
Midget013.jpg
* Midget013.jpg (Filesize: 119.66 KB)
Midget014.jpg
* Midget014.jpg (Filesize: 126.93 KB)
Midget015.jpg
* Midget015.jpg (Filesize: 124.11 KB)

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #79 on: May 25, 2017, 11:05:00 PM
Page 6  This one came to me in pieces and I can't find the finished pics of it.
RaceCar001.jpg
* RaceCar001.jpg (Filesize: 154.17 KB)
RaceCar002.jpg
* RaceCar002.jpg (Filesize: 123.18 KB)
RaceCar005.jpg
* RaceCar005.jpg (Filesize: 130 KB)
RaceCar006.jpg
* RaceCar006.jpg (Filesize: 107.04 KB)

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #80 on: May 25, 2017, 11:07:53 PM
Last one isn't a race car but a 1911 Huppmobile runabout that John restored and I striped. This car new cost three times as much as a Model T Ford!
HupmobileHood.JPG
* HupmobileHood.JPG (Filesize: 39.64 KB)
HupmobileRear.JPG
* HupmobileRear.JPG (Filesize: 31.72 KB)
HupmobileWheel.JPG
* HupmobileWheel.JPG (Filesize: 35.77 KB)
HuppyMotorin.JPG
* HuppyMotorin.JPG (Filesize: 32.84 KB)

nz Offline moonweasel

Reply #81 on: May 25, 2017, 11:12:13 PM
I used to handle he importation of cars to Canada- I used to see everyone's cars before they did.  If I was doing that in your neighbourhood I'd send you pics of it as soon as it came off the boat!  :D

Def
I would have really liked that. Not a special car by any means Mazda3, but mine, and a good solid, low Km, reliable car.
At least it should be getting its quarantine inspection today.
Possession for the weekend is looking unlikely now. :bnghd:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 11:40:05 PM by moonweasel »

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #82 on: May 26, 2017, 03:00:12 AM

Thank You.  I enjoyed the description of how you do the gilding (every day can be a learning day on MTo  :D ) as well as the photos  :drool:   :tu:   :tu:   :tu:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #83 on: May 28, 2017, 12:33:22 PM

Thank You.  I enjoyed the description of how you do the gilding (every day can be a learning day on MTo  :D ) as well as the photos  :drool:   :tu:   :tu:   :tu:

Agreed!

That is amazing word Ray!  I wish I had a talent like that!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #84 on: May 28, 2017, 12:37:28 PM
Awesome work Roy  :tu:

I have 4x4 envy

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #85 on: June 04, 2017, 05:51:36 PM

I am sure there is something for all to enjoy here

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #86 on: June 07, 2017, 05:44:10 AM
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #87 on: June 07, 2017, 01:46:45 PM
Awesome work Roy  :tu:

I have 4x4 envy

You and me both!

Still, a 960 liter tank!   :ahhh

At current prices here that would cost just over a thousand dollars to fill it!

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #88 on: June 18, 2017, 04:11:47 PM

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #89 on: June 24, 2017, 05:51:22 PM

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%