Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New SOG Stuff- Pic Heavy!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
New SOG Stuff- Pic Heavy!
on: March 06, 2017, 07:36:14 PM
I got a package in from SOG today, chock full of new goodies for review on the forum.  I haven't had much of a chance to do much more than open the packages and take a few pics for you all, so bear with me.

Sync I

This one is actually fairly small, and absolutely the right size for carrying on the strap of a pack.  Like the Sync II, it can be used as a belt buckle, although that wouldn't be my personal choice for it.  What it is, is basically a slightly larger, plier based version of the Schrade ST-2, or a more useful version of the Mini- and I am certain that comment may upset some folks, but there it is.  It is sim and lightweight, but folds out to be roughly the length of the PST, but about half as thick.

To remove it from the buckle/base you press the black button in the plier pivot and pull it away from the SOG logo.  Once it is off, you see the telltale Figure 8 that shows how it locks in.  To replace it, you can either press the button and fit it back in, or just push it and let the buckle pop the pin back into place by itself.  The Sync I locks into the buckle quite solidly, and doesn't seem like it would fall out accidentally, which is nice.

On the back side of the buckle you see a money clip type clip for, well, money, or clipping to a pack or back, belt, pocket- whatever you like.  Or, you can stick a flathead screwdriver through the holes drilled in it and release the screws to take the clip off, and transform it into belt buckle mode.  Once the clip is off you can use the shackle and pin to keep your pants up.  I might give it a shot, but I think I'll stick with the clip myself.  The nice thing is, if you want to use it in clip mode and have no interest in belt buckle mode you can also remove the pin, although as it sits below the level of the clip I can't see it getting in the way much.

The Sync I is a nice set of pliers- the legs fold out so that t is almost a full sized set of pliers, and it's more of a blunt nose than a needle nose.  I really like that, as many previous rants of mine will confirm.  On the opposite side of the plier head, in the crotch of the Sync I is a set of wire crimpers, which is nice on an otherwise compact tool. 

Inside the handles you find a knife blade and sharpened awl with sewing eye on one side and a three sided file with flathead screwdriver tip and a bottle opener with teeny eyeglass screwdriver.  The knife blade is really interesting because it locks open, while the others don't, all while using the exact same mechanism.  It also has a cool recurve edge to it, giving it more cutting area than a small knife like this should have.

Sync II

Much of what is said about the Sync I is the same for the Sync II, but on a much larger scale.  Think normal belt buckle versus cowboy Belt Buckle and you will get an idea of what I am talking about.  The Sync II  is much larger and significantly heavier than the Sync I, and the buckle is pretty much identical, just bigger.  The Sync II goes off and on the buckle exactly the same as the Sync I does, the buckle has the removable belt pin and clip just like the Sync I.  And, in fact, the Sync I fits in the buckle of the Sync II, just in case you wanted to carry around a big buckle with small tool- and, as this is a family forum, I refuse to comment on that any further.   :ahhh

The Sync II has a couple of cutouts in the much larger plier head to reduce some of the weight, and let me tell you, that is appreciated.  The Sync II is rather heavy, but that is largely due to the huge cast metal buckle it rides on.  By itself it isn't too bad at all.

Inside one handle the Sync II has a wickedly sharp clip point blade, a three sided file with screwdriver tip and a larger flat headed screwdriver.  The other side has a pair of scissors and a Phillips head driver with an integrated bottle opener- although the cutout looks the same as the one on the large flathead on the other side, so maybe the Sync II actually has two bottle openers.  :D

The blade on the Sync II locks open, and the lock is released (as it is on the Sync I) by opening another tool, similar to the Schrade ST-1 and original Leatherman SuperTool.  It may be an old trick, but it works, so that's the bottom line.

Out of the two, I think my preference is for the Sync I- I like the bigger, beefier pliers of the Sync II, and the more functions, but it comes at such a significant weight increase that I think, given the choice, I'd rather carry the Sync I.  Of course, that having been said, if I only had the Sync II, I wouldn't be terribly upset, as it seems like a nice tool in it's own right.

PowerAccess

At last, the one you have been waiting for, and, at least on initial fondling, my favorite of the bunch- the PowerAccess.

Maybe it's the sleek lines of the PowerAccess, or maybe it is the cool stonewashed finish of it, but the PowerAccess seems to embody the spirit of the PowerPlier, but in a way cooler form.  It doesn't need the sheath, it has the pocket clip, so it just pops into a pocket when you are done with it.

It has the typical SOG Compound Leverage, but now it has markings so you can use it as an impromptu protractor, and the plier head is the same one fond on the PowerPlay from last year, which means it will hold a screwdriver bit and will crimp cable, all while protecting your hands from the gear teeth.

In one handle it has a long, thin, scalpel like blade, similar to the early Gerber blades or those found on the BuckTool 360, an eyeglass scredriver, a sharpened awl with sewing eye and a big fathead driver.

In the other handle there's a three sided file, a bottle opener with integrated screwdriver, a can opener with integrated screwdriver andperhaps the coolest looking Phillips driver ever fitted to a multitool.  Seriously, it looks like the screwdriver the Rocketeer would use.

All of these tools lock open with a variation of the rocker type lock mechanism, that is actually very nice to use.  The release is just large enough to use to release the blade, but not so large as it would gt in the way or be accidentally released.

Oh yeah, and all of the tools are outside opening, which is remarkably sweet!

What I am not fond of with it is that it doesn't take the standard SOG bits, which means you won't be able to customize your loadout, but it does appear to be simple enough for even a beginner mod to try messing about with.  It shouldn't be too hard to make somethign that works, although you would lose out on the acid wash that the entire PowerAccess has- on the tools, the pliers, everything.

All in all I am really liking these new designs.  They aren't 100% perfect, and the quality of manufacture could be a bit higher, but overall I am really liking these.  They are pretty neat and, in the Sync's, a really cool new direction that I don't think we have seen since the CRKT Cicada.  Yeah, and the Tread, but the less said about that the better... :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: New SOG Stuff- Pic Heavy!
Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 08:14:03 PM
 :like:
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

dk Offline Troels

Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 09:05:26 PM
Looks good
Nice close up pics :tu:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 09:11:31 PM
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 02:22:17 AM
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 02:42:26 AM
The buckles weigh a fair bit, and I wonder why SOG opted for a cast metal buckle as opposed to something like a polycarbonate or ABS buckle.  It seems to me that it doesn't need to be metal, except perhaps for someone who uses it as a belt and is the type to put a lot of strain on it.

This might just be me, but I don't see myself ever using it as a belt, and so I think I would much prefer a lighter base and just retain the clip.  The clip gives so many mounting possibilities that I think it is the main winner here.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 03:29:07 AM
Thanks for all the info Grant :salute:  How heavy is the PowerAccess?

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 12:10:11 PM
According to the scale I purchased legitimately from a freelance pharmaceutical supplier, it works out to 174 grams or 6.14oz if that makes more sense to you.  If we check that against the Comparative Weight Chart that puts it in Juice territory.  Not bad at all.

Def

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 04:30:31 PM
According to the scale I purchased legitimately from a freelance pharmaceutical supplier, it works out to 174 grams or 6.14oz if that makes more sense to you.  If we check that against the Comparative Weight Chart that puts it in Juice territory.  Not bad at all.

Def
I'll take you at your word on your acquisition of said scale.....and true, that isn't a bad weight :tu:

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

it Offline balvenie

Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 01:57:49 PM
Just to understand do you consider the poweraccess as sturdy as the LM rebar?
I have nothing against corkscrew, i'm Italian!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 03:34:40 PM
Because it is a much lighter tool than the Rebar I would say that it is more on part with the Wingman/Sidekick or PST/PST II than the Rebar.

Def

it Offline balvenie

Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 04:05:35 PM
Thanks. Im using the sidekick everyday on my job site and i can say its very sturdy.
I have nothing against corkscrew, i'm Italian!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 01:48:57 AM
I have no doubt that the PowerAccess will stand up to whatever the Sidekick does.

And given the two, I'd take the PowerAccess but that might be largely because I never cared for the Sidekick or Wingman.

Def

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 01:22:32 PM
ZOMG! Sexy tools and hot hot pics! Thank you for the effort  :tu: :tu:

BTW does the three-side-file on the PowerAccess include a diamond file surface?
Another question, something that was not clear for me: Regular hex bits can be used with this tool, is that right?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 01:44:43 PM by ddogu »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 03:10:26 PM
Very cool stuff Grant :o The Sync I and II both look very interesting to me and I may end up with one of those sometime in the future and maybe both :facepalm: :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: March 13, 2017, 05:33:57 PM

Another question, something that was not clear for me: Regular hex bits can be used with this tool, is that right?

No, the file is just a regular bi-metal file with a metal saw edge.

Yes, regular hex bits can be used with it.  They fit into the crimpers on the back side of the plier head.  SOG introduced it last year with the Reactor and PowerPlay models and it works quite nicely.

If you have some long shanked bits it actually works nicer than the Center Drive.  :D

Def

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 12:25:46 PM

No, the file is just a regular bi-metal file with a metal saw edge.

Yes, regular hex bits can be used with it.  They fit into the crimpers on the back side of the plier head.  SOG introduced it last year with the Reactor and PowerPlay models and it works quite nicely.

If you have some long shanked bits it actually works nicer than the Center Drive.  :D

Def

Thanks!

Well, diamond files are awesome nail files, so they're kinda compulsory for a nail-nibbler like me hehe. And  if PowerAccesst had a wood saw I would even marry it.

I was about to consider modding this one (have to purchase one first though, lol) but I could not see ANY diamond file tools on SOG's web site, thus maybe a CNC owner can machine a fitting diamond file. :think: :think: :think:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 12:39:06 PM
Grant, is the plier-head on the PowerAccess shaped the same as the PPP where it tapirs down on one side but the other side is flat?

* images.jpeg (Filesize: 17.85 KB)
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #18 on: March 14, 2017, 01:05:16 PM
No the Poweraccess has a head that is not flat on one side.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 02:00:51 PM
PowerAccess' small flat head, could you compare it to the Wave's small bit driver in terms of sturdiness and thickness?

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #20 on: March 15, 2017, 04:01:51 AM
I would say they are equally comparable in function with the exception of no Phillips option on the access. Leatherman is also tool steel verses unnamed stainless (probably 420 series). I would think if both drivers were pushed the access driver would twist but leatherman would snap. 

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: March 15, 2017, 04:37:34 PM
I like both Syncs, but I would consider buying them only as a replacement for my LM mini. From what I can tell from the pictures neither would fit in to the coin pocket, and the LM mini does...    :pok: :ahhh
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: March 15, 2017, 05:21:05 PM
The Sync II is larger than you are expecting it to be.  Trust me, it is not a convenient, pocket sized tool by any stretch of the imagination.

The Sync I is probably too big to go in a watch pocket.  When my pants are done in the wash I'll check and confirm that for you, but I think it's safe to say that it is too wide for that.

However, it also has other mounting options that the Mini doesn't, and has more functions, so that is well worth keeping in mind as well.

Def

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: March 15, 2017, 06:51:28 PM
Thanks Grant, cool reviews!  :cheers:

I think I will buy the Sync I and the Poweraccess, your guilty!!!  :facepalm:

Could you tell what store have these new tools on sale, apart from SOG?

Coul you put a picture comparision of Sync I with a 58 mm Vic or a LM Mini?

Are the tools interchangeable with the other SOGs (notch?)

Thanks!

P.S.: It would have been very nice the SYNCs with compound leverage like the Crossgrip  :drool:

« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 07:11:51 PM by alexTOOL »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: March 15, 2017, 09:04:01 PM
I have Sync I and Sync II'so currently in stock and have Power Accesses on backorder, shouldn't be too long of a wait.

I'll see if I can get some pictures for you up shortly. 

Def

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: March 16, 2017, 01:00:08 AM
I have Sync I and Sync II'so currently in stock and have Power Accesses on backorder, shouldn't be too long of a wait.

I'll see if I can get some pictures for you up shortly. 

Def

Thanks!  :tu:

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: March 16, 2017, 09:52:03 AM

The Sync I is probably too big to go in a watch pocket.  When my pants are done in the wash I'll check and confirm that for you, but I think it's safe to say that it is too wide for that.

Def

Why on Earth did I read that as "when my pants are down"... :facepalm:
Guess I did not wake up quite yet... :drink:

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: March 16, 2017, 09:56:00 AM
The Sync II is larger than you are expecting it to be.  Trust me, it is not a convenient, pocket sized tool by any stretch of the imagination.

However, it also has other mounting options that the Mini doesn't, and has more functions, so that is well worth keeping in mind as well.

Def

I was kind of afraid of that. I would like to have a tool that is still in production to replace my mini tools (the one I carry and the two backups...  :facepalm: ). I would be totally cool with it having more functions, maybe something like one of our members designed (I forget his nickname (maybe evil...?), but the guy has a ton of cool mods in the mod section, and the mod in question is a mini on masive dose of steroids...  :cheers:). But it has to fit the fifth pocket of my jeans or the deal is off as I like to conceal carry my EDC. :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: March 16, 2017, 09:59:40 AM

Def

*runs a multitool forum, has one pair of pants*

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: March 16, 2017, 11:25:59 AM

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00