Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What tarp are you using for your shelters?

wales Offline caninesapien

What tarp are you using for your shelters?
on: March 17, 2017, 10:38:11 AM
Anyone have any specific recommendations for good quality, study (yet cheap-ish!) tarps? My local stores have a wide range (both in quality and price) and wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Re: What tarp are you using for your shelters?
Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 10:46:28 AM
I've got an Alpkit Rig 7 and an Integral Designs (now Rab I think) Siltarp 1.  I find the Rig 7 is a bit big (9' x 7') for solo use but may suit others, particularly if you're not bothered about minimum weight or pack size.  The Siltarp is just about big enough for a single bivvy bag underneath - it's about 7' x 5'.

Alpkit have a sale on at the moment. :pok:

Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 11:01:17 AM
Thanks for the info

Alpkit have a sale on at the moment. :pok:

:tu:

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 11:08:40 AM
I have a Mil-tec heavyweight tarp but I haven't used it in the rain. It's quite OK, I'd say.

Any opinions on DD Hammocks 3 x 3 tarp?
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 11:09:48 AM

I've been looking at those and they look great but unsure whether to make the purchase just yet.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 11:17:20 AM

I've been looking at those and they look great but unsure whether to make the purchase just yet.

We're in the exact same situation, then :D

Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 11:19:44 AM
We're in the exact same situation, then :D

:D

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 11:24:13 AM
It's 1/2 the price of the Alpkit Rig 7 and 1/3 heavier, but 1/3 larger.  I suppose it depends what you want to do with it - if you want coverage then it seems like a good deal.  I found the big tarps hard to pitch in tight spaces and rather flappy in high winds.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 11:50:27 AM
Me, I'd put it in my bug out bag to use it as emergency shelter (hoping I never have to). I suppose it won't be much good for shade under the sun, though.

I haven't got any experience with tarps, other than some one-day excursions in fair weather. All the camping I've done involved tents. Even with tarps, I think a couple of folding tent poles can come in handy.

Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 11:56:46 AM
Same here - very little experience. Mostly tent camping or open bivvy camping. I'm planning to get out a lot more this year and I want to try to get a decent tarp for my plans!

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 11:58:09 AM
I've only used one for camping - and prefer the open feeling a tarp gives you, though do use a small tent occasionally, particularly if it's going to be windy.  Up here in the frozen north if the weather's good I'd probably not bother pitching a tarp, but I can see why you might need one for shade in the Med.  Agree about the poles - I use one long and one short, with a selection of pegs and guylines to give some flexibility in pitching.

I want to try one of these but can't justify it (yet): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/550G-Camping-Tent-Ultralight-1-2-Person-Outdoor-20D-Nylon-Both-Sides-Silicon-Pyramid-Large-pentagonal/32745448389.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.1tBPI0

us Offline flbeachbum

Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 12:17:03 PM
I've only used one for camping - and prefer the open feeling a tarp gives you, though do use a small tent occasionally, particularly if it's going to be windy.  Up here in the frozen north if the weather's good I'd probably not bother pitching a tarp, but I can see why you might need one for shade in the Med.  Agree about the poles - I use one long and one short, with a selection of pegs and guylines to give some flexibility in pitching.

I want to try one of these but can't justify it (yet): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/550G-Camping-Tent-Ultralight-1-2-Person-Outdoor-20D-Nylon-Both-Sides-Silicon-Pyramid-Large-pentagonal/32745448389.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.1tBPI0

Has anybody here ever ordered from Aliexpress? It's the only place I've ever seen authentic kekhors though I haven't looked recently. I want to get one for my boy before Dog Daze this year. My breeder said that's where she gets hers, but other people have told me they have had problems.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 01:03:45 PM

Oh, I prefer the open air feeling too - but then I have to tell mosquitoes to be more understanding :D Depending on weather and location, synthetic tents also tend to get warm soon making sleeping in them challenging if there's no breeze and then you wake up soaked in sweat around 6am.

The DD Hammocks tarp is quite translucent, I doubt it's good for shade, I think it's best for keeping water out. The Mil-tec one does quite OK on the shade front. I've also used a no-name tarpauline, one side green the other one silver, it works well (Edit: thanks to the reflective side, otherwise things get uncomfortable). Canvas is the way to go for warm weather tents and for shade but it's not always practical.

One long and one short pole, you say. I'll keep that in mind, thanks :tu:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 01:06:51 PM by firiki »

hr Offline styx

Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 03:36:42 PM
Thanks to Hiraethus, I use an Alpkit Rig 3.5. A bit snug but it's only me so no issue with that
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%