Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sidekick

Offline Erik

• New User
Sidekick
on: March 09, 2017, 07:27:03 PM
So after hearing a lot of good story's about leatherman multitools, i thought i would buy a cheaper starter
I am also looking at the surge, but wanted to start of with a cheaper model just to see how leathermans are.
so i bought the sidekick, but am slightly dissapointed, when the tool is closed the handles are a little loose and will wiggle, this is kinda akward when opening the blade or the saw.
The lockup of the normal blade is perfect, but the saw is a little loose aswell.
So i was wondering if this wiggle is normal on multitools, and if not, how is the surge, since it is alot more expensive.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Sidekick
Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 07:48:21 PM
I dont own a sidekick or surge so I cant speak directly for either of those, but I can tell you my St300 has a good bit of wiggle, while my Charge does not. As far as the wiggle goes, yes it is annoying, extremely so if things like that bother you, but it doesn't affect the performance of my St300. If you are looking for a super high quality tool with absolutely no wiggle and amazing size and weight to functionality ratio, look at the Victorinox Spirit. If you want to stick with Leatherman, I'm pretty sure the surge/wave platform has less wiggle, but they are also very high quality tools.

Ps. I have bought a sidekick as a gift and handled one several times for various reasons, I seem to remember a tiny bit of play, but I fixed it by tightening up the screws. I did leave enough play to open the tools easily though.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 07:50:39 PM by gdoolittle »

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Re: Sidekick
Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 07:51:25 PM
By the way, Welcome to the forum!!!!!

Offline Erik

• New User
Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 08:04:40 PM
Thanks!

This is actually my first multitool, am really into knifes too but multitools can do so much more! As for the wiggle go's i guess ill just have to carry it a little longer and see if it bothers me much.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 08:15:18 PM
Welcome to :MTO:  :tu:

I agree with gdoolittle that if it has play, try tightening up the fastener a little and see if it helps :tu: Sometimes they need a bit of adjustment to get them where you want them :cheers:

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 08:27:50 PM
Sidekick is in the same family as my Wingman, a scissors instead of the saw.  Closed there is slight handle wiggle.  There is very often some break end usage to free up individuals tool on many multi-tools. 
Also, the wire cutters are pinch cutters and do not completely touch when plier head is closed.

The Surge is a different tool, richer options and bypass cutters that are also replaceable.  I have a ST300 instead, it is a beast of a MT and have its little brother a Rebar. 

Welcome, the Sidekick is still a good light duty tool that fills a need for many users, plus yours came with a sheath too!
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 12:14:20 AM
I still like my Sidekick very much and think it's a great tool for the money.  Yes, a little wiggle in the handles is pretty normal in a lot of multitools and doesn't really affect their operation.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 12:15:39 AM by Gareth »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%