Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hello from Chicago

mtn · 16 · 574

Offline mtn

Hello from Chicago
on: March 09, 2017, 10:51:52 PM
Hey folks—been reading this forum on and off for a few years. I’ve always had a thing for multi-tools, ever since my dad bought me my Leatherman PST at about age 6. That one is currently MIA—it has to be somewhere in my house, lost during the move. I hope I find it one day, even though I don’t have much use for it anymore.

My current inventory of multi tools. Ones marked EDC are in the EDC rotation:
LM PST (Missing—keeping my eyes open for it)
LM SuperTool 200
EDC: LM Fuse
EDC: LM Micra
EDC: Victorinox Huntsman
EDC: Wenger… uh, whatever the small one with blade/scissors/file is
Husky multi-tool (keep in car)—this one is actually pretty good, just overly bulky to actually carry
2 No-name PST knockoffs—one in the tackle box, one in a car. Not bad for what they are.
2 Cabelas $5 things. I think I got them for free. I keep one in my hockey bag for impromptu repairs; the other is just around
Cheap micra-like knockoff but with pliers. This I keep at the office, just in case.

Then I have a bunch that I think I’m going to sell soon. Not sure how I accumulated them, but I don’t use them or need them (and they’re too nice to leave in random places around the house):
Victorinox Huntsman with broken scissor spring
Wenger something (large blade, small blade, can opener, bottle opener)
Victorinox something (large blade, small blade, can opener, bottle opener, scissors, corkscrew, hook)
Leatherman H503
Gerber Vice (warranty replaced a mini-suspension P with this, not sure where I got the mini)

I want to get a SwissTool, Gerber MP 600, and a Skeletool CX, but for now am just learning here on the website.

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Hello from Chicago
Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 10:56:30 PM
welcome mate
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 11:24:36 PM
Welcome aboard..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 11:37:52 PM
Welcome to the forum- it seems like you have a pretty good selection of tools already.  What do you like or don't like about some of them?  What made the EDC models the ones you carry?  :D

Oh, and I think the Wenger model you are asking about might be the Esquire.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline mtn

Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 12:10:19 AM
Welcome to the forum- it seems like you have a pretty good selection of tools already.  What do you like or don't like about some of them?  What made the EDC models the ones you carry?  :D

Def

EDC options are basically a combination of compact and useful. I had some Style CS's for awhile, I got rid of them because I liked the scissors on the Wenger better, although I do miss the bottle opener. Truth be told, I almost never really need any multitool. Most of their use is opening beer bottles or opening packages. They're just nice to have--for instance, I was grilling last night and noticed the thermometer was loose on it. Pulled out the Fuse, screwed it back in. Probably could have gone another 5 years before it actually fell out, but hey, I "fixed" it.

Things I like and dislike:
PST: Was really about the perfect tool the first shot. Not the most comfortable, but good enough.
Fuse: Pretty close to the PST, but Scissors! I love scissors. Wish it had a serrated blade or saw though. Price was right at $30 new including sheath and a flashlight (which has since been lost in the same move that the PST was lost in)
Supertool: Like everything on it. Wish it had scissors, and I wish it had a flathead screwdriver/bottle opener combo like on a Vic. Makes more sense to me. Not a huge fan of the locking system; been thinking of trading it for a Rebar because of that and its size (really, it is too big). But the price was right--got it for $15 used.
Micra: Honestly just a legacy thing at this point. Not much that the Wenger Esquire doesn't do the same or better, except it has a bottle opener. I wish the phillips was a full phillips
Wenger Esquire (good call): I've had this for a long time. 99.9% of what I need a multitool for is served by this, and it still fits in in an office setting.
Huntsman: See above. I also love having the saw blade. I'm not sure I've ever sawed wood with it, but I use it a surprising amount. I wish it was thinner though--I don't need the second small blade, or the can opener. Wouldn't mind getting a phillips version instead of the corkscrew (or get rid of the hook and awl and get a phillips in addition to it)

The others that I'm keeping I just keep around in case I need them. Places where I might need them and not be carrying a full sized one--hockey bag, car, desk at work, etc.

The ones I'm selling are all basically just redundant or don't work as well as another. The exception is the Leatherman H503--this to me seems like it is inferior in everyway to a Skeletool. I've almost never used it. Very good tool, just overshadowed.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 12:18:56 AM
Greetings.   :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 02:29:17 AM
Howdy  :waving:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 04:57:23 AM
Welcome to :MTO: :tu: Sounds like a good list of stuff you have already :cheers: :cheers: :like:

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 11:43:10 AM
Welcome aboard  :salute: :tu:

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 06:10:29 PM
Welcome!   :salute:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 09:46:40 PM
Welcome to the forum  :cheers:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 12:11:41 AM

Def

EDC options are basically a combination of compact and useful. I had some Style CS's for awhile, I got rid of them because I liked the scissors on the Wenger better, although I do miss the bottle opener. Truth be told, I almost never really need any multitool. Most of their use is opening beer bottles or opening packages. They're just nice to have--for instance, I was grilling last night and noticed the thermometer was loose on it. Pulled out the Fuse, screwed it back in. Probably could have gone another 5 years before it actually fell out, but hey, I "fixed" it.

Things I like and dislike:
PST: Was really about the perfect tool the first shot. Not the most comfortable, but good enough.
Fuse: Pretty close to the PST, but Scissors! I love scissors. Wish it had a serrated blade or saw though. Price was right at $30 new including sheath and a flashlight (which has since been lost in the same move that the PST was lost in)
Supertool: Like everything on it. Wish it had scissors, and I wish it had a flathead screwdriver/bottle opener combo like on a Vic. Makes more sense to me. Not a huge fan of the locking system; been thinking of trading it for a Rebar because of that and its size (really, it is too big). But the price was right--got it for $15 used.
Micra: Honestly just a legacy thing at this point. Not much that the Wenger Esquire doesn't do the same or better, except it has a bottle opener. I wish the phillips was a full phillips
Wenger Esquire (good call): I've had this for a long time. 99.9% of what I need a multitool for is served by this, and it still fits in in an office setting.
Huntsman: See above. I also love having the saw blade. I'm not sure I've ever sawed wood with it, but I use it a surprising amount. I wish it was thinner though--I don't need the second small blade, or the can opener. Wouldn't mind getting a phillips version instead of the corkscrew (or get rid of the hook and awl and get a phillips in addition to it)

The others that I'm keeping I just keep around in case I need them. Places where I might need them and not be carrying a full sized one--hockey bag, car, desk at work, etc.

The ones I'm selling are all basically just redundant or don't work as well as another. The exception is the Leatherman H503--this to me seems like it is inferior in everyway to a Skeletool. I've almost never used it. Very good tool, just overshadowed.

Wow, what you say sounds awfully familiar, probably because it echoes a lot of my own feelings.  Frankly I think every tool should have scissors, as it is one of the tools I use most.

With regards to your PST/Fuse comments, maybe the PST II might have been a decent plan for you.  It is basically the PST but with scissors, a diamond file and a partially serrated blade.  That tool was actually indirectly responsible for this entire site- I had heard about these Leatherman things, but being a lifelong SAK guy who was, at the time starting into tactical knives, I didn't see much point to them.  I decided to get the Micra from my local knife shop to try out, then after a few hours of playing with it, gave it to my girlfriend at the time so I could justify going back the next day and picking up the PST II that I had walked away from when I got the Micra.  :D

I love the Micra- it is one of the absolute best keychain tools you can buy.  Even Leatherman can't kill it, since it is such a popular seller, no matter how many "replacement tools" like the Style and Squirt series they come out with.  But yeah, the Esquire is pretty darned good too.  I'm not sure I would put them directly against each other though, as they are pretty different when it comes to functions.  I do prefer the Esquire over the much more famous Victorinox Classic, as I like the scissors, larger blade and nail files better on Wenger, but I guess now that Wenger is Victorinox, there's not much point in having that argument anymore!

The Huntsman was my favorite SAK for the longest while, and still ranks as one of the best IMHO.  When I was a kid I got my first SAK- it was a Camper and I still have it.  My father was given a Champion at the same time, and while I was fascinated by all the tools, I was mostly enamoured by the scissors that my Camper was missing.  As time went on I could have replaced my Camper with the Climber, which is the exact same model, but with scissors instead of a saw, but the Huntsman meant I didn't have to choose between them.  It was also the first knife we did as the Knife Of The Year back in 2003, but I don't imagine there are too many folks left around here that would remember that!

Great to hear about your thoughts on your tools.  It's always good to have anew perspective, especially when it is from someone who can appreciate good scissors on tools.  Some of the anima... uh... I mean members here don't seem to think scissors are that important....  :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline mtn

Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 05:17:44 PM
Thanks everyone.

As soon as I remember which photo hosting site I use I'll load up some pictures. As for Esquire vs. Micra, I just don't find myself ever using anything on the Micra other than the blade, file, and scissors. Which is exactly what I have on the Esquire. No, they're not in the same class overall, but for me they are. Plus, I usually have another tool on me or near me.

Figured out what the other SAK's were--A Climber and a Commander. I put these for sale with the extra Huntsman I have on eBay.
I also listed the H503, SuperTool, and the Gerber Vice. The H503 I never used, the Vice is pretty junky, and the SuperTool I just decided was too big--I never ended up carrying it anywhere because of that, so it never got any use.

My current wishlist is as follows:
A (not sure which)  SwissTool
Leatherman Rebar or Wave
Leatherman Skeletool CX
Gerber MP-600

Lastly, I added a new one to my collection, although it hasn't been delivered yet: The Winchester Fisherman. This will live in my tackle box or fishing vest. Paid $15, which may be high, but since they don't make it anymore that I could find and the Gerbers are ridiculously expensive, it seemed like a decent deal.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 05:26:59 PM by mtn »

us Offline Bensasupertool

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Reply #13 on: April 15, 2017, 05:31:06 AM
Welcome to the forums.  :multi:
CHECK YOUR SMOKE DETECTOR BATTERIES!  Everyone Needs a Halligan Tool.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #14 on: May 19, 2017, 03:51:39 AM
Welcome to MT.O.  :salute:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #15 on: June 06, 2017, 09:47:43 PM
Welcome aboard  :salute:
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD