Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Reevaluating my off day carry

Aloha · 301 · 17903

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reevaluating my off day carry
on: March 10, 2017, 06:10:34 PM
I always enjoy reading why others carry what they carry.  I especially love seeing all the bag stuffed with awesome tools and other items.  I love the minimalist as well however I've never seen myself as a minimalist.  I do enjoy when I see someone carry a Classic and button light. 

My off day carry varies and has varied in terms of what I carry.  I've carried a MT, light, and SAK mostly but each item changes for no specific reason.  I have also added in a folder or a fixed blade from time to time.  I've been experimenting with my off day carry just because.   

One set up in particular that I really like is

LM Squirt P4, Cadet2, Fenix LDO2.  My mind tells me I'm missing scissors.  Funny how this works huh?  Do I use scissors that much?  Couldn't I just get by without them?  I'm trying not to obsess to much.   

Another carry I've played around with is

LM Squirt P4, Executive,  Zebralight.  The ZL is pretty easy to carry and has lots of options lumen wise so I really like that.   My Executive has a great pair of scissors and terrific blade.  The only thing "missing" is a can opener.  Sure I can add a P38 can opener but it just not to my liking.   I enjoy using my SAK can opener in the kitchen, call me odd. 

I've carried my Spirit as my only tool a few times and its been really nice.  The tool density is awesome and it carried great.  I pair it with any light I feel for that day.  I do have to say the scissors are not great IMO.  Acceptable but SAK scissors have me spoiled.

I've also carried my OG Wave only and its also a great tool.  It has lots of drivers which for an onoff day is a waste IMO.  I do really like outside opening tools.  Convenience for me is a good thing.   

I've my Charge TTi with pocket clip with no real complaints.  I am thinking over a few mod tho.  I would like OHO scissors and some other changes.  Not sure what just yet.  Its been great having this tool in pocket and gotta love S30V.

I've tried my PST and Juice but both have left me feeling, eh.  Juice is ok.  PST is also ok.  Ok is just not good enough when I have some other tools that go beyond ok.  I do like both but not enough to commit to either. 

Wenger.  I really like Wengers offerings.  The tool locking Wenger was a tool I carried a lot early on.  Missing are scissors.  The other Wenger is also nice but for off day carry I'd much prefer a file to a saw. 

I think I'll look at some other Wenger options.  I thought about a Compact and considered getting out my Sideclip. 

Mostly I'm just rambling.   

IMG_2467.JPG
* IMG_2467.JPG (Filesize: 248.79 KB)
IMG_2468.JPG
* IMG_2468.JPG (Filesize: 300.69 KB)
IMG_2430.JPG
* IMG_2430.JPG (Filesize: 240 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Reevaluating my off day carry
Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 06:49:10 PM
Looks like some good carries Aloha :tu:

I think that the lightest I care to go on an off day is maybe an Executive paired with a :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh !!!MINI!!! :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh I still feel prepared for most things like this and  usually have a Shard with me as well for the odd chance that I need to tighten a Phillips screw :D

Good thread :tu: :like:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 07:29:05 PM
Excellent thread and i will comment more later after work.  One thing I want to mention is the scissors.  I always have to hand scissors on me. When you have a lot of facIal hair there is constant stray hairs that need trimming.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 07:40:33 PM
It is always good to re-evaluate your EDC variations! 

For me, I can live without the scissors as a blade with do the same thing!  I carried a small Tinker for over 25 years so I don't dwell on the scissors much.  If the sak has them then that is fine but for example, if the Explorer didn't have scissors I would be fine with it cause I mainly choose it for the other tools like the mag lens, inline philips, and corkscrew to hold mini driver.

I have to say I have always been more of a minimalist in the sense that I just don't carry much at all.  I have the small flashlight with my house key on it, then the sak in my pocket or on the suspension clip depending on which sak. I do try a couple of different sak's out to see what I like and think I may like to carry without too much bulk.  Like yesterday and today instead of carrying an Explorer or Swisschamp, I put the Pioneer X in my pocket but added a Classic to my hip/watch pocket where I keep my flashlight and house key so I still had the tweezers and toothpick if needed.  Truth be told, I probably could get by on just the Classic as my EDC but what if.....right?

Since I am in the urban/city environment 99.9% of the time what I carry above is more than enough.  The only time I will carry a MT or add a MT to my EDC is when I am out hiking/biking around and depending on where I am going hiking/biking I may add either a fixed blade or dedicated folder but that is rare. 

I will be following this thread just to see how your EDC evolves so keep us posted.  :)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 07:41:47 PM by sir_mike »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 08:03:36 PM
The Explorer Plus is hard to argue with on my end.  Why do I then?  Why not  :D

I've booted my Manager off my keys then after a week put it right back on.  Its hard to argue about the Manager for me.  Can I get by with a Manager?  No. 

I can get by with an 84mm tho.  Scissors, damn those ever loving Vic scissors.  I just love them and they are a slim enough layer for me.  I have a Golfer but it needs work.  I don't have experience with the combo tool. 

I used to reason that carrying my Swisschamp was minimal.  I mean its ONE item so............. :whistle:  Then I rediscovered the Champion.  I wouldn't miss the fish tickler so I'm back to my Explorer Plus. 

I really enjoy carrying my Cadet2.  Its such a wonderful tool in almost every way.  I thought about a mod of adding the scissors from my Golfer  :think:

Did I say I'm trying not to over analyze this?  :facepalm: 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 08:23:30 PM
I'm carrying a leather shoulder bag during off time.
Besides a FAK, bandana, lighter, solar glasses (only in summer) some mints, a jewelers lens, an emergency whistle, a pen, in ear headphones, earplugs, mini phone charging cable, keys and wallet it ALWAYS contains my Led Lenser F1R, and Swisstool X.

Sometimes when I know I'll be leaving the bag in the car/in the neighborhood, I take my Spirit S, Swisschamp or Charge AL with me on person.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 08:31:37 PM
I'm a hands free kinda guy.  I don't mind belt carry at all.  When I do carry a MT its in a sheath on my belt.  Like I said I have tried pocket clip carry of my TTi and its not bad. 

Here's the thing,  when I carry my LM tools with bit drivers I feel I also MUST carry a bit card.  I also feel like why not then carry the extender.  I cannot reason not to. 

When I carry my Spirit however its fine as is.  The difference really is OHO.  Need? NO.  Why not I ask?  Why the heck no have OHO when I can?  Great tool but.......

Ok I admit I'm analyzing.

:whistle:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 10:24:40 PM
I'm a hands free kinda guy.  I don't mind belt carry at all.  When I do carry a MT its in a sheath on my belt.  Like I said I have tried pocket clip carry of my TTi and its not bad. 

Here's the thing,  when I carry my LM tools with bit drivers I feel I also MUST carry a bit card.  I also feel like why not then carry the extender.  I cannot reason not to. 

When I carry my Spirit however its fine as is.  The difference really is OHO.  Need? NO.  Why not I ask?  Why the heck no have OHO when I can?  Great tool but.......

Ok I admit I'm analyzing.

:whistle:

I too like the hands free idea.  When we go hiking/biking of course we have a backpack but not a huge or or one weighted down with alot of stuff.  Sometimes I put the MT on my belt and sometimes I carry it in the backpack.  Part of that depends on what style shorts or pants I am wearing and if I have a belt on!

Regarding the OHO, It is kinda like the scissors thing to me, I don't or won't die if I don't have them but I do prefer the OHO to not having it as I do think it is more beneficial or at least can be.  That said, I don't own any Vic MT's but someday would like to try the Spirit X again.  I will say that I wish Vic made an OHO Spirit!  Time for a new design?  Could you imagine something like the Wave but with Vic's build and quality?  :tu:

Analyzing, well maybe a little!  LOL

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 12:58:57 AM
What I ended up carrying today.
IMG_2478.JPG
* IMG_2478.JPG (Filesize: 190.55 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 02:25:15 AM
Some nice combos, and it appears you have a fair number of tools to work with.  If you like scissors (like me) I suggest the Squirt and a Vic Compact.  A lot of different tools, not a lot of duplication.
- Steve

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 03:06:55 AM
Have you tried a Pioneer X yet?  It's got scissors!  :)

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 03:20:06 AM
I'm retired so I guess for every day is a day off for me. I have to carry scissors I have bad fingernails which is a very bad thing to have when you collect pocket knives and multitools. So I always carry at least one 58mm SAK to trim broken nails and a small pry bar to open SAKs and multitools because I have no nails. Then I have heavy carry for the last month it has been a Centerdrive and three-layer or more SAK on a suspension clip when I jeans. My light carry is a Juice or PST in clip on pouch and a small SAK when I wear basketball shorts or sweat pants.

I've booted my Manager off my keys then after a week put it right back on.  Its hard to argue about the Manager for me.  Can I get by with a Manager?  No. 

I can get by with an 84mm tho.  Scissors, damn those ever loving Vic scissors.  I just love them and they are a slim enough layer for me.  I have a Golfer but it needs work.  I don't have experience with the combo tool. 

I used to reason that carrying my Swisschamp was minimal.  I mean its ONE item so............. :whistle:  Then I rediscovered the Champion.  I wouldn't miss the fish tickler so I'm back to my Explorer Plus. 

I really enjoy carrying my Cadet2.  Its such a wonderful tool in almost every way.  I thought about a mod of adding the scissors from my Golfer  :think:

All I carried for a long time was a waiter the combo tool worked really well for me. The corner of a combo does a pretty good job on Phillips screws it has just the right angle on it and of course it works well on sloted screws.

Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline The Lone Wanderer

• High Octane Gasoline
Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 04:52:18 AM
I've gone through the same thing before and I'm pleased with what I have decided on. Spirit X on my belt, Wenger SI, Coast flashlight and a Bic lighter. I don't smoke but you never know when you need a lighter.
Last of the V8 Interceptors

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 05:35:04 AM
The Spirit has become my on and off day carry. I suppose it's alright 😁.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 07:46:26 AM
Some nice combos, and it appears you have a fair number of tools to work with.  If you like scissors (like me) I suggest the Squirt and a Vic Compact.  A lot of different tools, not a lot of duplication.

I'll need to get a Compact.  I like the idea of this combo very much.   :tu:  I am a huge fan of scissors especially Vic scissors. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 07:47:38 AM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: March 11, 2017, 07:46:54 AM
Have you tried a Pioneer X yet?  It's got scissors!  :)

I need to pick one up eventually. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: March 11, 2017, 07:51:38 AM
I'm retired so I guess for every day is a day off for me. I have to carry scissors I have bad fingernails which is a very bad thing to have when you collect pocket knives and multitools. So I always carry at least one 58mm SAK to trim broken nails and a small pry bar to open SAKs and multitools because I have no nails. Then I have heavy carry for the last month it has been a Centerdrive and three-layer or more SAK on a suspension clip when I jeans. My light carry is a Juice or PST in clip on pouch and a small SAK when I wear basketball shorts or sweat pants.

All I carried for a long time was a waiter the combo tool worked really well for me. The corner of a combo does a pretty good job on Phillips screws it has just the right angle on it and of course it works well on sloted screws.

Mike

Thank you for your response.  I haven't had any experience with the combo tool but it sure looks good on paper. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: March 11, 2017, 07:55:56 AM
I've gone through the same thing before and I'm pleased with what I have decided on. Spirit X on my belt, Wenger SI, Coast flashlight and a Bic lighter. I don't smoke but you never know when you need a lighter.

The Spirit is a great tool.  I was a bigger fan of the Swisstool but I decided to give the Spirit another chance and I'm glad I did.  There is not much that one cant do with the Spirit.  That said, I do like the one hand access to some tools.  I've had discussions before regarding OHO and all I can say is its my preference.  Its not a deal breaker however.  The SI is one sweet tool as well.  I've carried mine on and off several times. 
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #18 on: March 11, 2017, 11:43:17 AM
Similar to many folks here, I need scissors and pliers on a daily basis. Won't go anywhere without them, even if they're small (Squirt + 58mm SAK is the minimal size to fill my needs)

On work days, always a heavy duty or bigger pliers based tool, as the tasks tend to be much more demanding and tough. Spirit, SOG blacktip, MP600...if I'm carrying the Spirit I can be happy with just a 58mm on my keychain or a thin SAK as a secondary tool, as the Spirit really covers almost everything you can need.

If I carry the SOG (no wood saw), the Gerber (no big scissors), or the Wave (no metal saw) for instance, then a larger SAK has to compliment it adding the tools or implements/functions that are missing.

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: March 11, 2017, 11:02:25 PM

Mike

Thank you for your response.  I haven't had any experience with the combo tool but it sure looks good on paper.

That's the same tool on the Compact.
- Steve

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: March 14, 2017, 06:38:57 PM
So I tried carrying my Golfer and it was nice which I paired with my Squirt.  Nice over all carry but at the end of the day I was really thinking I'll need to try a Compact.  On Sunday I carried my Swisschamp.  I know its not generally regarded as minimal however I'll argue it is.  I think however my Champion just makes more sense, I dont exactly know why  :think:

I also tried my 84mm Tinker but its just not doing it for me. 

So off to try to find a decent Compact to pair with my Squirt. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #21 on: March 14, 2017, 07:45:27 PM
So I tried carrying my Golfer and it was nice which I paired with my Squirt.  Nice over all carry but at the end of the day I was really thinking I'll need to try a Compact.  On Sunday I carried my Swisschamp.  I know its not generally regarded as minimal however I'll argue it is.  I think however my Champion just makes more sense, I dont exactly know why  :think:

I also tried my 84mm Tinker but its just not doing it for me. 

So off to try to find a decent Compact to pair with my Squirt.

I have the Golfer and it is the same as the Compact except for mine that doesn't have the hook so I am curious to why you would want or need a Compact over the Golfer?

As far as the Swisschamp vs the Champion, not much difference there except for the plier's (aka super tweezers) which will save you a little bit of weight and about 1/4 inch width wise so that would be a preference thing.  With or without plier's?  :)
SAKgolfer2.jpg
* SAKgolfer2.jpg (Filesize: 92.91 KB)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: March 14, 2017, 08:58:20 PM
Compact over Golfer mostly because the plus scales and just because.  As I mentioned mostly just to try something I haven't.   

Champion over Swisschamp also no real reason other than I do like my Squirt more for pliers than my super tweezer pliers of my SC. 

Fine tuning my off day carry is more where I am headed than anything. 

Botton line I can carry my Golfer and Squirt and be stoked.  I can also just carry my Swisschamp like I used to and be done. 

Where I see myself headed is no where particular just evaluating over the course of time.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #23 on: March 14, 2017, 09:47:56 PM
Compact over Golfer mostly because the plus scales and just because.  As I mentioned mostly just to try something I haven't.   

Champion over Swisschamp also no real reason other than I do like my Squirt more for pliers than my super tweezer pliers of my SC. 

Fine tuning my off day carry is more where I am headed than anything. 

Botton line I can carry my Golfer and Squirt and be stoked.  I can also just carry my Swisschamp like I used to and be done. 

Where I see myself headed is no where particular just evaluating over the course of time.   

You could add plus scales to the Golfer unless you have the 84mm one!  My Golfer is the 91mm so I am set there if I decide to change the scales!  :)

Never tried the Squirt plier's so I will take your word for it!  LOL 

There is no doubt that there really is alot of different sak's or combo's that can do what one needs or wants!  You know I like the Explorer Plus as my main and only EDC but I too have been experimenting lately and one good combo I like so far is the Pioneer X in my right front pocket (no suspension clip) and a Classic thrown into my watch pocket.

I am getting to the point where I don't want to use the suspension clip and here is why.  I was at a Casino awhile ago playing a game and a security guy comes up to me and says "sir can I see what that clip is in your pocket".  Of course I said it is just a clip and he said can I see it so I pulled it out only part way to show him it was only a clip and I know he was thinking it was a clip on a pocket knife but I pulled it out only far enough so the clip was off my pocket but didn't show my Swisschamp underneath.  He said people try to bring knives in here which is not allowed.  I told him I will tuck the clip in so it wont be noticed anymore.  He thanked me and went on his way! 

I guess it is things like this that make me rethink my carry!  Also another reason why I don't do belt pouches unless I am doing something like hiking/biking!  :)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: March 14, 2017, 10:19:39 PM
Yes my Golfer is the 84mm variety. 

The Explorer with Plus scales is a hard SAK to beat.  An 84mm version of this would be awesome.   

I don't mind carrying a fixed blade around I also want to always fly well under radar.  If I have a MT sheath on my it's always covered by my T-shirt or other shirt.  I don't mind carrying a folder however I really don't want a clip showing for no other reason than wanted more to stay under the radar.

I like the 84mm line and have a few. 

I have what I believe is the Recruit economy, Golfer, and Tinker. 

I don't mind the lack of back tools especially when paired with my Squirt but lack of T&T is kinda lame.     

IMG_2522.JPG
* IMG_2522.JPG (Filesize: 228.2 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #25 on: March 15, 2017, 12:33:22 AM
Yes my Golfer is the 84mm variety. 

The Explorer with Plus scales is a hard SAK to beat.  An 84mm version of this would be awesome.   

I don't mind carrying a fixed blade around I also want to always fly well under radar.  If I have a MT sheath on my it's always covered by my T-shirt or other shirt.  I don't mind carrying a folder however I really don't want a clip showing for no other reason than wanted more to stay under the radar.

I like the 84mm line and have a few. 

I have what I believe is the Recruit economy, Golfer, and Tinker. 

I don't mind the lack of back tools especially when paired with my Squirt but lack of T&T is kinda lame.     

I totally agree with you on the Explorer Plus and the lack of the T&T is lame!   :tu:

That collection of 84mm's are nice!  I tend to stick with the 91mm so I have the plus scale ability and only one size to replace scales on.  Lazy I know!  :)

If you decide to try out an alox in the mix, I can loan you my Pioneer X to tryout for a while to see it will work for you!  Just let me know!

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #26 on: March 15, 2017, 02:02:58 AM
Most days are light days.

REALLY light days, the ones were I never get past sweats, Skeletool or Vic Compact.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: March 17, 2017, 08:18:56 AM
I am trying out a couple more options.  I carried the 84mm Vic today and I have to say I was impressed.  The can opener worked like a charm on medium Phillips screws.  I added a small pry tool cause there really is never a reason to use a knife tip and the pry tool is pretty small as you can see. 

I dug out the Wenger to give it a try as I was really impressed with the Victorinox 84mm.
IMG_2530.JPG
* IMG_2530.JPG (Filesize: 255.36 KB)
IMG_2531.JPG
* IMG_2531.JPG (Filesize: 187.8 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: March 20, 2017, 03:32:32 PM
Because I typically carried as SAK with inline phillips I've not had to use the can opener as one.  The other day I was carrying my 84mm Recruit and had a few screws to tighten.  I honestly paused wondering if turning them would damage the can opener sharpened part.  I know the tip is whats to be used however the screws were a bit larger and I wanted to see how it performed.  I'm happy to report it worked great.  I can see damage occurring if more torque was used.  I also realize I could have also tried the bottle openers corner just as well. 

I was thrilled is mostly my take away that the can opener, a tool I really like, was up to the task. 

I am gaining more and more respect for my little 84mm SAKs.

This has not been a "test" to see how little I can get away with.  Its been more about editing out all the "what ifs".  I know carrying a SAK is always better than not. 

The picture is what I carried all day yesterday .   
IMG_2550.JPG
* IMG_2550.JPG (Filesize: 139.33 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: March 22, 2017, 05:44:16 PM
Still carrying my 84s.  I'm finding no issues at all.  I'm not surprised however I am a little surprised how well I am enjoying them.  I mean I liked them a lot but the 91s seemed to offer more, "more" what exactly, I don't know.

Anyhow.  I am switching between my Tinker, Golfer, Recruit, Wenger Viking ( pictured above ).  I think its a Viking  :think:, I also pulled out a Bantoam which is surprisingly awesome to me. 

I am paring them with my Squirt P4.  I don't alway like to use the blade in place of scissors is kinda what I'm finding out.  Heres why,  I was sending a package off at the post office and needed to trim the label.  I would have had to place the label on the table then cut.  The problem is I didn't want to cut thru the label and onto the table.  Using scissors is easy peasy.   

First pic is work carry.
Second pic is off day.
IMG_2552.JPG
* IMG_2552.JPG (Filesize: 268.28 KB)
IMG_2553.JPG
* IMG_2553.JPG (Filesize: 176.05 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00