Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Reevaluating my off day carry

Aloha · 301 · 17907

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: Reevaluating my off day carry
Reply #150 on: June 07, 2018, 05:43:25 PM
 :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #151 on: June 08, 2018, 03:36:00 PM
Left the house yesterday so here's what I carried.  As usual I had my house keys which always has my Fenix LD02 and Manager.  While at home I had what you see in the picture minus the Zebralight, plus my pocket wrench 2.  As I prepared to leave I left my PW2 and grabbed my ZL.  I think I'm going to find a way to add to my pouch for my PW2. 
IMG_5156.jpg
* IMG_5156.jpg (Filesize: 190.15 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #152 on: August 27, 2018, 06:35:24 PM
Looks like my fine tuning is just that, fine tuning.  With the addition of my Salesman my off day carry seems complete.  I've been having some fun tho carrying my CRKT Texas Toothpick.  Its not instead of, its in addition to what I carry.  A fun knife solely for food. 

My carry yesterday while off was P4, Salesman, Manager, LD02 and PW2.  Its been an fun journey to this point.  I dont suspect things will change much.  Who knows tho. 

IMG_5714.jpg
* IMG_5714.jpg (Filesize: 267.47 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #153 on: August 31, 2018, 08:15:13 PM
The less I carry in my pockets, the better.

Wallet, keys, phone, SAK and a light.

There's a toolbox in my car if I need more than that.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #154 on: October 08, 2018, 06:01:22 PM
Really enjoying my Salesman.  Its working our great.  My P4 is unstoppable.  I really like that tool.  I could almost just carry it, almost.  There has been some slight, very slight disruption.  I happened upon a Wenger Pocket Tool Chest.  What a SAK.  Can we have it all?  IF, if only it had a pen  :dd:.  That would un seat my Manager in a NY sec.  Well,  :think:

So, what I have been doing is carrying it ( PTC ) along with my Manager.  Certainly seems redundant but goodness how do I leave it at home?  My keychain as you've all seen if you've followed along has my Manager and a LD02 permanently attached.  That keychain has my house key and 2 pill fobs.  I have my car keys which are separate.  On it I have a Photon X and now my PTC.  I honestly don't want or need both small tools.  The PTC will eventually have to go. 

Go where  :dunno:.   I harken back to a simpler time.   

For now its not a terrible bother.  Its a super cool SAK that beckons me to carry it. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #155 on: October 08, 2018, 06:07:55 PM
Really enjoying my Salesman.  Its working our great.  My P4 is unstoppable.  I really like that tool.  I could almost just carry it, almost.  There has been some slight, very slight disruption.  I happened upon a Wenger Pocket Tool Chest.  What a SAK.  Can we have it all?  IF, if only it had a pen  :dd:.  That would un seat my Manager in a NY sec.  Well,  :think:

So, what I have been doing is carrying it ( PTC ) along with my Manager.  Certainly seems redundant but goodness how do I leave it at home?  My keychain as you've all seen if you've followed along has my Manager and a LD02 permanently attached.  That keychain has my house key and 2 pill fobs.  I have my car keys which are separate.  On it I have a Photon X and now my PTC.  I honestly don't want or need both small tools.  The PTC will eventually have to go. 

Go where  :dunno:.   I harken back to a simpler time.   

For now its not a terrible bother.  Its a super cool SAK that beckons me to carry it.

If the only obstacle to carrying the PTC is a pen, check out something like the True Utility Telepen.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #156 on: October 08, 2018, 06:12:12 PM
Thanks.  The PTC is really an eye opener.  I've heard several of you praise it.  I am slow but I do come around. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #157 on: April 29, 2019, 06:46:27 PM
Back again.  The more things change the more they stay the same?  Is that right  :dunno:.  The more things stay the same the more I change them......   Ok, I'm just ruining perfectly good sayings  :facepalm:

Where am I?  Keychain items are stable, Manager and LD02 remain.  I did add a mini Bic lighter and my Wenger Pocket Tool Chest to my carry.  I put both into a small sheath I made for something else.  We'll see if I end up reaching for them.  I'm not a "what if" carry type.  I thought the PTC would be a nice small SAK that complimented the Manger. 

My car keys still have the Photon X and LM #4.  The Photon is such a nice little light.  I've now changed the batteries twice.  I get a lot of use from that little light. 

My other carry items have changed.  My pocket sheath with my Salesman and Squirt aren't carried as much.  Not sure what happened.  Great SAK but...........   :dunno:.

I won a Skinth and so this changed my carry a lot.  I have always like my Explorer.  Adding plus scales to any SAK makes sense to me and my Explorer has them.  While my Fenix LD02 is a great light and I have my Photon X as well those live on a keychain that I don't always have on me.  The Skinth has side pockets that fit my Squirt and a AAA light as well as my Explorer.  This makes it a no brainier for me to carry this set up vs my pocket sheath set up. 

I loose nothing with my Explorer vs Salesman.  I gain some in fact, PEN/PIN for starters and the amazing inline phillips not to forget the mag glass.  Using the Skinth I can also now easily house my Pocket Wrench 2. 

If I go somewhere I need to leave sharps in my vehicle I can still carry my PW2 and light in pocket. 

I have also been playing around with ball chain carry.  My idea was to have a light and tool with me that were small yet capable.  I got a second Manager and so this plus one of my  Foursevens AAA lights ( ATOM or Preon ) nicely works.  I recently went to an arena where no knives were allowed.  I easily took off my Manager yet still was able to carry my light in.  I saw lots of people going back to their vehicles having been turned away for items deemed unwelcome.

My Skeletool CX has continued to be a nice tool to carry when I really want to be at the most basic yet capable on my off days.  I've played around with a few other carry ideas and tools but like I've mentioned my goal was not minimal carry more than optimizing what I carry. 

Pic forthcoming. 

« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 08:03:42 PM by Aloha »
Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #158 on: April 29, 2019, 07:56:59 PM
 :popcorn:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #159 on: April 30, 2019, 12:15:40 AM
 :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #160 on: April 30, 2019, 12:18:14 AM
While I've not tried the Photon X I would say that for the same kind of money you can get the excellent Nitecore Tube.  No need to buy any batteries ever again.  ;)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #161 on: April 30, 2019, 12:24:19 AM
My little group of light, SAK and mini pliers.  (D25A, Golfer and P4)
20190429_133039.jpg
* 20190429_133039.jpg (Filesize: 110.77 KB)
20190429_133002.jpg
* 20190429_133002.jpg (Filesize: 127.12 KB)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #162 on: April 30, 2019, 03:52:03 PM
While I've not tried the Photon X I would say that for the same kind of money you can get the excellent Nitecore Tube.  No need to buy any batteries ever again.  ;)

I bought it a while ago so I use it.  I have however looked at the Tube extensively.  Excellent point on the batteries tho  :tu:.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #163 on: April 30, 2019, 04:11:39 PM
Your group is wonderful.  Simple and effective.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #164 on: April 30, 2019, 04:46:02 PM
I've had the Photon X for a while.  I think since 2012-23 and in that time I've changed the batteries twice.  It activated and drained the batteries the first time which prompted me to take it off my keychain.  I then switched it to my car keys and have been happy with it since. 

The LM#4 is my pry tool plus it has the added feature of the driver bit.  I like having a small pry tool.  The Manager in sheath ain't going no where.  Its been bomb proof plus I have a back up just in case.  The mini Bic lighter and PTC are new carry items.  I really tried to find a purpose for the PTC.  I actually carried it on my ball chain set up and liked it but I think I am just a sucker for the Manager.  It may go back on the ball chain.  The lighter is a light and easy to carry even in the sheath.  Without the PTC in the sheath its really very easy to forget I have it.  We'll see how it goes.  So far tho, it stays.

This is the Skinth that I won.  This set up has bumped my Salesman and Squirt pocket sheath out of my carry system. I was able to add my PW2 which I was "struggling" to find a way to carry anyway.  This is a nice compact-ish way to carry my liked items.  Pockets are free which is nice.

The ball chain set up is something I've tried in the past.  Not sure why I abandoned it.  AW kinda sparked my interest in trying it again.  I like this simple carry of a Manager and Preon or Atom.  As I said I may go with my PTC but we'll see. 

IMG_7086.jpg
* IMG_7086.jpg (Filesize: 217.15 KB)
IMG_7087.jpg
* IMG_7087.jpg (Filesize: 169.5 KB)
IMG_7088.jpg
* IMG_7088.jpg (Filesize: 195.16 KB)
IMG_7090.jpg
* IMG_7090.jpg (Filesize: 223.07 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #165 on: April 30, 2019, 04:55:51 PM
Pics of my LM#4, Photon X, Mini Bic, Manager, and PTC. 

I forgot my Fenix LD02 but its still there with my Manager in sheath.  Those are on my house keys.  They've been there for a while and will remain.  My LM#4 and Photon are on my vehicle keys.  The Photon has been there a little while now and the LM#4 replaced my LM#5.  Just wanted to try something else.  I like a pry tool. 

The Bic and PTC dangle from my vehicle keys as well.  May seem like a lot but weight wise its fine.  I have it so I can detach as needed for those times I go somewhere where knives are frowned upon.   
IMG_7081.jpg
* IMG_7081.jpg (Filesize: 163.21 KB)
IMG_7082.jpg
* IMG_7082.jpg (Filesize: 221.85 KB)
IMG_7083.jpg
* IMG_7083.jpg (Filesize: 181.2 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #166 on: October 08, 2019, 05:06:23 PM
There've been some changes but not drastic.  I find myself liking so many things that I want to carry them.  My inner gear junkie wanting to take over sometimes.  I am not carrying a full size MT still.  Its the one tool that seems to always get left behind. 

Wallet is the same Nixon wallet.  The only thing new is the little pouch that contains a crystal.  I found the orange 7 strand  paracord recently and played around with a knot.  I liked it so I used it to secure my wallet to my Vic belt clip. 

Keys are on my Keysmart Pro.  I am still loving this key organizer.  I use the flashlight all the time.  I've recharged it now several times since getting it.  Its helped my organize and remain jingle free for the most part.  I added my Leatherman #4 which I really like.  I couldn't find a happy place for my vehicle key so I went back to my NiteIze biner.  I have my photon x and pill container.  Its as simple as I like.

Skinth sheath is perfect for pretty much the bulk of what I want to carry.  These items seem to be the perfect compromise of utility and function for me.  I loved my 84mm Salesman but, and because of that but I went back to my Explorer plus. 

Bandana and kerchief.  These items may not get talked about as often as tools but they are always with me.  My little first aid pouch is a simple boo boo kit. 

My Manager in sheath.  This somehow got lost in the shuffle of my key set up.  I've left it behind for now and truly I've missed it.  Not just emotional miss but usefulness miss.  There are just times when a little 58mm is the prefect tool for the job.  I've got to figure out where I want it. 

When I am in the mood to carry addition cutlery the Spyderco gets the first call to duty.  Its been such a fantastic knife that I need little reason to carry it.  Once in a while I will carry my BM MiniGrip.  I use the BM for work mostly.  I do bring it with me for off days especially when going to box stores to pick up material for home projects. 

My Zebralight and Olight are strong so as the days are shorter they will get the call.  I do carry my Olight at home a lot more these days.  When I get home I empty my pockets of work tool and refill with home tools  :D.  Come on I know some of you do the same. 

Fixed blades choices have grown.  I do like to carry a fixed blade.  I am currently carrying a Jumpmaster 2 for work so for off days I like these choices.  The Contego is new to me and I am really liking it a lot.  The BM Nimravus is a fun knife to carry, tactical but useful.  My RAT is a favorite for sure and sees a lot of belt time.  Last but not least is my Esee.  Man I love this little knife.  I carry it for work as well.  Its such a sweet little knife that I find myself wanting to carry it all the time.   
IMG_8142.jpg
* IMG_8142.jpg (Filesize: 233.83 KB)
IMG_8143.jpg
* IMG_8143.jpg (Filesize: 111.31 KB)
IMG_8145.jpg
* IMG_8145.jpg (Filesize: 223.58 KB)
IMG_8146.jpg
* IMG_8146.jpg (Filesize: 298.25 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #167 on: October 08, 2019, 05:08:05 PM
Opps meant to post wallet first. 
IMG_8141.jpg
* IMG_8141.jpg (Filesize: 285.26 KB)
IMG_8148.jpg
* IMG_8148.jpg (Filesize: 279.36 KB)
IMG_8150.jpg
* IMG_8150.jpg (Filesize: 284.09 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #168 on: October 08, 2019, 05:12:50 PM
I get to use a lot of stuff at work so off day carry is always being evaluated.  The more new to me items the more I want to carry them on and off work days.  The way I do it is I carry items when at home.  As I mentioned when I come home from work I empty my work gear and replace with things I like to carry at home.  Off day carry are items shown above when I will leave home for errands or outings.  Some off day items cross over to just hanging at home. 

I have some lovely gear that I like but way too much to try to carry.  Breaking it up into these three situations makes it easy to carry all the things I like. 

Maybe next I'll post about what I carry at home when I am putzing around. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #169 on: October 08, 2019, 07:40:11 PM
That SAK leather holder is nice and especially with the cut so the shield is showing!  :like: :cheers:

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #170 on: October 17, 2019, 05:24:52 AM
I haven't found a better combo than Vic Spirit/Maglite Solitaire LED.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #171 on: October 18, 2019, 12:33:13 AM
Everyday is an off-day for me now, and the deluxe tinker handles most of them with ease

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #172 on: October 18, 2019, 12:35:35 AM
Good to hear the DT is working out. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #173 on: October 18, 2019, 12:44:50 AM
Everyday is an off-day for me now, and the deluxe tinker handles most of them with ease
Oh, are you retired too?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #174 on: October 18, 2019, 12:59:44 AM
Oh, are you retired too?

Kind of. Disability rather than age

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #175 on: October 18, 2019, 01:13:31 AM
Kind of. Disability rather than age
Awww...everyday is Saturday!  :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #176 on: October 18, 2019, 05:05:38 AM
Yeah, everyday feels like a bad hangover  :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #177 on: October 18, 2019, 05:59:19 AM
I sure hope thats not the case AW  :(.  I carried my Deluxe Tinker quite a lot when I got it.  Its a wonderful SAK no doubt.  I went to the market tonight and stopped to get a bite to eat before hand so I wasn't hungry at the store.  I've made that mistake a few times and learned my lesson. 

I carried my Wenger Pocket Tool Chest and Zebralight.  It was great.  I used it to snip the wrapper off a candy for my partner.  When we got home we repacked the items for the freezer and used the main blade to cut the container open.  Light was used to see on side yard to bring bins in. 
Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #178 on: October 18, 2019, 06:43:22 AM
I sure hope thats not the case AW  :(.

Sadly, yes. A lot of it's the meds though, it can leave me pretty "numb" mentally for the first few hours, assuming I slept (not happening tonight). Then it's the usual lucky dip of balance disorder, visual and auditory weirdness, migraines, communication difficulties and sensory calibration errors, or any combination thereof, striking at inopportune moments. Every day's a lottery, some you win, some you lose  :D

I carried my Deluxe Tinker quite a lot when I got it.  Its a wonderful SAK no doubt.  I went to the market tonight and stopped to get a bite to eat before hand so I wasn't hungry at the store.  I've made that mistake a few times and learned my lesson. 

Made that mistake FAR too many times. Internet shopping can be as bad. Before you click checkout, get a bite to each and a drink (the drink is important too, for the same reason). I wish I'd learned that years ago  :rofl:

I carried my Wenger Pocket Tool Chest and Zebralight.  It was great.  I used it to snip the wrapper off a candy for my partner.  When we got home we repacked the items for the freezer and used the main blade to cut the container open.  Light was used to see on side yard to bring bins in.

Still a huge fan of the Wenger Tool Chest... and a huge hater of the Zebralights  :P In fact that damn thing might be what caused all these neurological problems in the first place  :D

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #179 on: October 18, 2019, 03:40:42 PM
 :iagree: I try to eat before going to the grocery store also!  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30