Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Reevaluating my off day carry

Aloha · 301 · 17671

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Reevaluating my off day carry
Reply #30 on: March 22, 2017, 05:53:59 PM
To add onto my last post.  I am finding having a little pry tool is important for me.  Yes I can use my 84s bottle opener but I rather not.  I don't mind carrying the little one I have pictured.  Its really not an issue nor hard to carry.  I also like my Squirt.  Its just enough tool for so many things.  I like having a file more so that a saw blade is also what I'm noticing.  I think its good enough for finger nails and other file uses. 

I do like Victorinox can openers.  Wenger can openers are good but the tip of the Vic ones add another tool.  On my Wenger the bottle opener is just a slight bit narrower at the tip vs my Vic bottle opener.  I guess I can use the Wenger bottle opener as I do my Vics can opener tip.  Ok I can but the Vics can opener does add another tool.  I also prefer to open cans with a forward motion. 

The reality is I can use my Squirt for phillips.  I can also use my mini pry tool as well.

I like the Golfer a lot.  I can do without the corkscrew.  Phillips would be nice instead.  Plus scales would be over the top wonderful. 

« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 05:55:27 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: March 24, 2017, 05:06:19 AM
Carried the Bantam today.  I finally got to try the combo tool on a can.  It wasn't the cleanest cut but bottom line is it works well.  I enjoyed carrying this SAK a lot today.  I can imagine the Alox is a joy as well. 

IMG_2565.JPG
* IMG_2565.JPG (Filesize: 133.83 KB)
IMG_2561.JPG
* IMG_2561.JPG (Filesize: 183.99 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #32 on: March 24, 2017, 08:57:30 AM
I've been carrying my swisschamp outside of work. It's still a big tool really, but a lot less than I usually carry. I still feed kind of naked just carrying that, it's strange what you get used to.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: March 24, 2017, 02:50:20 PM
Over the years I've had 8 Swisschamps.  I have 2 now, one live on my hike pack in an SOS sheath and one I have on my nightstand.  In a strange way I feel carrying my SC is minimal.  I am very much a fan of the tool as well my Champion.  I began to carry it suspended from my Victorinox Belt Hanger and really like the way it carries like that.  I got a leather sheath for my Champion which rides nicely on my belt.  Both tools have everything I'd need or want and then some. 

Carrying my 84s along with my Squirt almost matches my toolset on my SC. 

Today I'll carry my Golfer. 
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: March 24, 2017, 05:32:30 PM
I've been going very minimal recently and today especially with just a 84mm Golfer and a Style PS. I'll be honest and say that I feel a little light on screwdrivers and don't need the scissors on the PS but it's certainly easy to carry.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: March 24, 2017, 10:05:17 PM
Yes I agree when I carry my Golfer its feels driver light.  I was surprised how well I got along with my Recruit and phillips screws.  I haven't had the occasion to use the combo tool for any phillips.  I do like my 84mm Tinker a lot more that I thought I would.  My squirt is pretty good in covering where I feel light but having a dedicated Philips is something that just makes me feel good.  Spoiled by my Explorer.   
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: March 24, 2017, 10:15:11 PM
Yes I agree when I carry my Golfer its feels driver light.  I was surprised how well I got along with my Recruit and phillips screws.  I haven't had the occasion to use the combo tool for any phillips.  I do like my 84mm Tinker a lot more that I thought I would.  My squirt is pretty good in covering where I feel light but having a dedicated Philips is something that just makes me feel good.  Spoiled by my Explorer.

If I liked the small LM scissors more I'd be tempted to carry my Vic Scientist with the Style PS or Squirt P4.  Perhaps I should give that a go anyway and see how I get along.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: March 24, 2017, 10:28:51 PM
Yes go for it.  This is exactly what I'm doing.  Trying stuff I never thought I'd like or actually feel covered carrying.  I'm not carrying anything as back up either.  I don't want back up cause if the tools I have aren't up to the task that fine.  It further helps me rationalize what I will carry. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #38 on: March 24, 2017, 10:46:04 PM
Aloha,

Based on you telling us that you carry the Champion and a Squirt so you had plier's (aka super tweezers) in place of the Swisschamp, I decided to give that a try but with a twist too.  I picked up a PS4 cause I didn't have one and I am actually gonna pair it with the Explorer Plus so I still get the plier's but dont have tools like the saw and fish scaler that I don't need on a daily basis.  I will also use the PS4 with the Champ Plus too some time!

Thx for posting that!   :tu:

RubyExplorerPlus_RedPS4.jpg
* RubyExplorerPlus_RedPS4.jpg (Filesize: 86.06 KB)

us Offline The Lone Wanderer

• High Octane Gasoline
Reply #39 on: March 25, 2017, 03:38:15 AM
I've started to carry only my 111mm Soldier and I've been just dandy. I may add a Manager or Minichamp on my keys just for kicks.
Last of the V8 Interceptors

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: March 25, 2017, 06:20:55 AM
Aloha,

Based on you telling us that you carry the Champion and a Squirt so you had plier's (aka super tweezers) in place of the Swisschamp, I decided to give that a try but with a twist too.  I picked up a PS4 cause I didn't have one and I am actually gonna pair it with the Explorer Plus so I still get the plier's but dont have tools like the saw and fish scaler that I don't need on a daily basis.  I will also use the PS4 with the Champ Plus too some time!

Thx for posting that!   :tu:

Squirt pliers are pretty good.  They also carry very easy and yet are pretty robust for such a small tool.  Love the color you have on yours. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #41 on: March 25, 2017, 06:27:03 AM
I've started to carry only my 111mm Soldier and I've been just dandy. I may add a Manager or Minichamp on my keys just for kicks.

I carry a Manager on my keys which I haven't mentioned in this thread  :think:.  I see this tool as, well, hmm.........

So let me think about this for a sec.  My manager is a tool I've carried now for several years on my keys.  It has a pen which is clutch when I have needed one.  Blade and scissors do what I need them when pressed into service.  I guess I see my Manager as a "spare key" in a way.  I don't often need it but its there. 

I carried my 84mm Golfer.  What a treat it was today.  I packed up some stuff to send out and cutting tape and boxes was a breeze.  I'd love to see plus scales on this tool.  That would be very great. 

Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #42 on: March 25, 2017, 10:26:51 PM
Yes go for it.  This is exactly what I'm doing.  Trying stuff I never thought I'd like or actually feel covered carrying.  I'm not carrying anything as back up either.  I don't want back up cause if the tools I have aren't up to the task that fine.  It further helps me rationalize what I will carry.

Well, having found myself in need of a Phillips screwdriver this afternoon I've stuck the Scientist in my pocket with my PS4 on my keys.  In fairness the Style file/screwdriver just about coped but it was definitely lacking.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #43 on: March 25, 2017, 11:00:26 PM

Well, having found myself in need of a Phillips screwdriver this afternoon I've stuck the Scientist in my pocket with my PS4 on my keys.  In fairness the Style file/screwdriver just about coped but it was definitely lacking.

Well now you know without reservation not having a phillips isn't gonna work for you. 
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #44 on: March 26, 2017, 03:24:30 PM
Weren't you a big fan of the serrated Native? A bit odd you're not including it
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #45 on: March 26, 2017, 04:25:22 PM
Huge fan of both SE Native and SE Delica.  I have an on and off relationship with folders.  I do enjoy carrying one for sure but enjoyment aside for off day had me mostly not carrying one.  What I do really enjoy is carrying a small fixed instead.  For work carry which is not exactly what I'm reevaluating I will still carry a folder from time to time. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #46 on: March 26, 2017, 07:22:21 PM
I've been reevaluating my off day carry as well. I really dont need larger pliers when I'm out or and about.
So my idea was the mechanic. It still has a small set of pliers and pair it with my rambler, I get scissors and various sized drivers. All that in a fairly compact size.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #47 on: March 27, 2017, 06:50:22 PM

Well now you know without reservation not having a phillips isn't gonna work for you.

Very true.  Went back to the job with my Scientist and got it done properly.
DSC_0018.JPG
* DSC_0018.JPG (Filesize: 305.58 KB)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #48 on: March 27, 2017, 06:55:30 PM

Very true.  Went back to the job with my Scientist and got it done properly.

Now thats a terrific carry.
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #49 on: March 27, 2017, 06:58:10 PM
Cheer mate.  I wish I liked the LM scissors more and I think I'm going to swap the T10 for a Tube now that the days are getting longer again but other than that I'm pretty happy with it.:)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #50 on: March 27, 2017, 07:03:13 PM
I have a love affair with SAK scissors so I pause when I think about "trying" others. 

As far as lights go,, with the really long days I'm finding with my highly adjustable Zebralight I can still carry a light that offers brightness when needed yet many less bright options say for my garages dark areas. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 07:19:05 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #51 on: March 27, 2017, 07:18:31 PM
I forget about my Al Mar Ultralight Falcon.  I carried it yesterday and it was nice having it.  I was blade heavy but my Al Mar was my food knife.  I used it to cut tomato for lunch and open a pack of St Louis Ribs. 

Cleaning the knife is really easy and I was able to give it a proper dry as well.

I'll post up a pic in a bit. 

I'm still evaluating being capable without trying to solve any and all things that "might" come my way. 

I know I'll need to be able to cut. 
I know I'll open a can.
I know I'll need to turn flat and phillips screws.
I know I'll need to scrape or pry something.
I know I prefer scissors to a blade for some tasks.
I know I'll need to grasp something my fingers aren't strong enough to. 

I can live within certain limits.  I have no problem not being able to perform certain tasks. 
I don't require one tool to do it all.  I'm handy enough to use the tool at hand to its fullest capacity. 

What I'm not trying to do is limit myself to size and weight just for that sake.  I'm not trying to test myself by carrying around the least to see if I can get by.  This is not about what I can live without in so much as what I can manage with.

This all is subject to change as well.  I am enjoying the process as much as testing out each tools capability and my ability.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 09:20:26 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #52 on: March 27, 2017, 08:58:13 PM
From reading your above post, it sounds like all you need is a SWISSCHAMP and a flashlight!  LOL

Kidding aside it is good to re-evaluate your EDC from time to time and reflect on what you have used/not used or needed/not needed in the past or since your last time you did the re-evaluating!  :)

This is a great thread to read and get ideas from so keep up the great work!   :cheers:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #53 on: March 27, 2017, 10:21:26 PM
I forget about my Al Mar Ultralight Falcon.  I carried it yesterday and it was nice having it.  I was blade heavy but my Al Mar was my food knife.  I used it to cut tomato for lunch and open a pack of St Louis Ribs. 

Cleaning the knife is really easy and I was able to give it a proper dry as well.

I'll post up a pic in a bit. 

I'm still evaluating being capable without trying to solve any and all things that "might" come my way. 

I know I'll need to be able to cut. 
I know I'll open a can.
I know I'll need to turn flat and phillips screws.
I know I'll need to scrape or pry something.
I know I prefer scissors to a blade for some tasks.
I know I'll need to grasp something my fingers aren't strong enough to. 

I can live within certain limits.  I have no problem not being able to perform certain tasks. 
I don't require one tool to do it all.  I'm handy enough to use the tool at hand to its fullest capacity. 

What I'm not trying to do is limit myself to size and weight just for that sake.  I'm not trying to test myself by carrying around the least to see if I can get by. This is not about what I can live without in so much as what I can manage with.

This all is subject to change as well.  I am enjoying the process as much as testing out each tools capability and my ability.

Great synopsis of where I've been going for a while now. :salute:  Our priorities aren't identical but our thinking is the same.

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: March 28, 2017, 12:42:54 AM
I've been heading in this direction for a while now, so much so that I think I've found a solution (at least for now) which has led to some of my other tools being relegated to bags and kits.  I used to try to "carry as much as I could without looking like it", which was definitely a fun goal, tried lots of options looking for tool density and pocket-ability. 

Now, like you mentioned, it's about "what can I manage with".  If I have to go back to the car once in a while for a bigger tool to handle a bigger task, it's not the end of the world (for me specifically, some people have much more strict needs).  But I don't need that 95% of the time.  So my new goal was looking for compact and "reasonable", at the expense of complete preparedness (again, personal, not for everyone).

My carry these days has become very nearly an EVERY day carry, with my Pioneer X, my modded Squirt, and my Olight i3s (pliers, blade, nail file, 3d phillips, flat drivers, and tweezers).  I'll carry a full-size MT if I know there's work to be done somewhere, or a 5+ layer SAK around the house because they're just cool, but so far I've found no reason that I need to change my usual carry.
squirtM4.jpg
* squirtM4.jpg (Filesize: 40.96 KB)
edc.jpg
* edc.jpg (Filesize: 51.95 KB)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #55 on: March 28, 2017, 07:46:01 AM
I've been heading in this direction for a while now, so much so that I think I've found a solution (at least for now) which has led to some of my other tools being relegated to bags and kits.  I used to try to "carry as much as I could without looking like it", which was definitely a fun goal, tried lots of options looking for tool density and pocket-ability. 

Now, like you mentioned, it's about "what can I manage with".  If I have to go back to the car once in a while for a bigger tool to handle a bigger task, it's not the end of the world (for me specifically, some people have much more strict needs).  But I don't need that 95% of the time.  So my new goal was looking for compact and "reasonable", at the expense of complete preparedness (again, personal, not for everyone).

My carry these days has become very nearly an EVERY day carry, with my Pioneer X, my modded Squirt, and my Olight i3s (pliers, blade, nail file, 3d phillips, flat drivers, and tweezers).  I'll carry a full-size MT if I know there's work to be done somewhere, or a 5+ layer SAK around the house because they're just cool, but so far I've found no reason that I need to change my usual carry.

I see no reason for you to change it either  :like:

Modding your Squirt really sets you up for success especially when adding in a great SAK with scissors. 

IF like you say you feel the need to get work done then brining along a larger tool is the obvious way to go.  My goal is not packing up a tool box for "what ifs".   I'm also not trying to carry a Classic and get by when I know I'll need more tool. 

Its really been a fun journey.  I also have zero problem packing heavy just because.  There are no set parameters in what I"m doing.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #56 on: March 29, 2017, 04:54:38 PM
My Al Mar
IMG_2615.JPG
* IMG_2615.JPG (Filesize: 191.17 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #57 on: March 29, 2017, 05:16:43 PM
I don't think I'd realised how compact the Al Mar is.  Very nice. :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #58 on: March 29, 2017, 05:35:24 PM
So here's a tool I played with the other day.  Its Leatherman By The Numbers  #5.  I wanted to have a pry function and a small wrench option as well.  I also like the package opener feature but truthfully any edge of the tool would work.  Its wider that my other pry tool but not terrible.   I'm not too worried I have several items since each on its own is useful and can be stand alone tool, more testing of the LM#5 to confirm or refute it as such.     

Here is my carry today. 
LM #5
P4
Golfer
LD02
IMG_2621.JPG
* IMG_2621.JPG (Filesize: 176.82 KB)
IMG_2622.JPG
* IMG_2622.JPG (Filesize: 192.03 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #59 on: March 29, 2017, 05:42:27 PM
I don't think I'd realised how compact the Al Mar is.  Very nice. :tu:

And incredibly light, I believe the weight is 1oz or a smidge more.  In hand its about a light as my Celidor Bantam.  Its a tough little blade too which I like.
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD