Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Reevaluating my off day carry

Aloha · 301 · 17672

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Reevaluating my off day carry
Reply #60 on: April 03, 2017, 06:15:57 PM
Not sure if I'm settling into a carry combo just yet but I am really not seeing my Squirt P4 leaving.  I also am really loving my 84mm SAKs.  I specifically love my Golfer and Tinker however I am carrying my Wenger Viking/Hunter, really not sure which it is but thats not important.  I also have no hesitation to carry my Recruit or Bantam. 

I've added a Leatherman #5 to the mix as I've mentioned many times I enjoy a little pry tool.  This tool has been quite nice to carry.  Its already earned its keep in helping me tighter loose Philips on my cabinet.

So the picture below, left side are my go to tools.  The right side are items I'll swap in/out just because. 

My light for the day is my Fenix LD02 and for night is my Zebralight.   

IMG_2655.JPG
* IMG_2655.JPG (Filesize: 216.52 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #61 on: April 12, 2017, 06:54:24 PM
I dont want to say I'm settling in with my carry yet.  I can say the the addition of the LM#5 tool has been a good call.  I like the tool overall and it carries nicely.  My 84mm Tinker is really a great little tool.  I have to say I am a little surprised now that I like it so much.  I also continue to big a big fan of my LM Squirt P4.  I'm glad I picked up a spare when I did. 

I reintroduced my Cadet 2 to the mix but something is leaving me flat about it.  Not sure what exactly. 

This has been a good experience of not carrying my Wave or any other medium sized plier based MT on my off days. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #62 on: April 12, 2017, 06:59:39 PM
Interesting thread bromigo. I pretty much carry the same stuff on the weekends as I do during the weekdays. Of course when I am not at work I am on the farm.
Great thread!
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline leathermon

• Better to have a tool, than be a tool.
Reply #63 on: April 12, 2017, 07:05:00 PM
I like this thread a lot, I recently picked up a few small nitecore lights and started thinking about carrying one of those paired with my ps4 and the shard. After reading this i think I'm closer to leap, lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #64 on: April 12, 2017, 07:12:19 PM
Interesting thread bromigo. I pretty much carry the same stuff on the weekends as I do during the weekdays. Of course when I am not at work I am on the farm.
Great thread!

There have been a few occasions where having a larger plier based tool would have been convenient.  Nothing that a very short walk to get a tool wouldn't be super bothersome. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #65 on: April 12, 2017, 07:17:05 PM
I like this thread a lot, I recently picked up a few small nitecore lights and started thinking about carrying one of those paired with my ps4 and the shard. After reading this i think I'm closer to leap, lol.

The sun is out here in Cali for a good long while so a small light is the right call for me.  Yes I very much like my Zebralight and the modes are so great that I can carry it instead of my LD02 but its all about testing.   

I am not trying to see how small or little I can go with.  I'm also not trying to see much I can do without either.  I am trying to balance having tools that I can rely on with out having to carry all of them  :D.

I believe I've mentioned that I will still carry a tool just because.  I am still enjoying having tools and carrying them.  So, I will toss in a fixed blade or Spirit if I feel like it. 

BTW, the Shard is a wonderful tool.  Sadly its the only tool I lost but our time together was amazing. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline leathermon

Reply #66 on: April 12, 2017, 09:07:53 PM
Another setup I've been toying with is the leatherman mini and a vic classic, giving me the essentials: knive, pliers,  and sisscors.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #67 on: April 12, 2017, 09:24:58 PM
Another setup I've been toying with is the leatherman mini and a vic classic, giving me the essentials: knive, pliers,  and sisscors.

Thats a great combo.  Give it a try for at least a few days. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline leathermon

Reply #68 on: April 12, 2017, 11:14:25 PM
I will this weekend,  I started too wear cargo pants more,  and with all the extra pockets, as long as the tools are smaller there is no need for belt carry.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #69 on: April 12, 2017, 11:58:37 PM
Whats impressed me most is for my off day "needs" a 84mm SAK is very capable but more than that its nearly unnoticeable in pocket. 

My Squirt lives in my coin pocket till needed along with my Fenix LD02.  When or if I feel I need or want more tools then no problem I add to my hearts desire. 

It was a transition of mind more than need or lack thereof. 
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #70 on: April 14, 2017, 04:44:59 PM
Still playing with my light carry a bit, but here's what I've got on me just now.  Small pocket knife (RR Whittler), Squirt P4, Vic Rambler and Nitecore Tube.

Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #71 on: April 14, 2017, 05:13:20 PM
After the challenge I am gonna try a bit of this as well :think:

Great thread BTW :like: :like:

I have carried this before and it worked wonderfully, an Executive, a Shard and my  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh !!!MINI!!! :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

I think that it meets most if not all my needs and for a light I have for the last several months carried an Olight I3e :like: :like:

Been good watching the progression and reading this thread :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #72 on: April 15, 2017, 06:44:36 AM
Still playing with my light carry a bit, but here's what I've got on me just now.  Small pocket knife (RR Whittler), Squirt P4, Vic Rambler and Nitecore Tube.

(Image removed from quote.)

:like:

With whats on your keychain you really are set, the RR however is pretty wonderful.  I like to carry my reevaluated carry items and possibly a fun items just because. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #73 on: April 15, 2017, 06:49:11 AM
After the challenge I am gonna try a bit of this as well :think:

Great thread BTW :like: :like:

I have carried this before and it worked wonderfully, an Executive, a Shard and my  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh !!!MINI!!! :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

I think that it meets most if not all my needs and for a light I have for the last several months carried an Olight I3e :like: :like:

Been good watching the progression and reading this thread :tu:

Executive, Shard, and Mini are a powerful trio.  What a terrific light the Olight is. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #74 on: April 15, 2017, 06:52:37 AM
So heres something I almost completely forgot about.  I have a PW2 and since I do like to have a pry tool that is not a one trick pony I figured I'd give it a carry. 

Now my Leatherman #5 is a nice little carry item but the PW2 is a lot more capable.  I was thinking we could even have a PW2 challenge?

84mm Tinker, LD02, and Pocket Wrench 2. 
IMG_2730.JPG
* IMG_2730.JPG (Filesize: 201.85 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #75 on: April 15, 2017, 10:54:33 AM
I like the sound of that!  :tu:  :like:
Would definitely follow.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #76 on: April 15, 2017, 12:09:16 PM
I have looked into.getting a PW or a PW2 for last few years and just never have pulled the trigger yet :facepalm:

That is an awesome carry Aloha and yes the Olights are fantastic lights :tu: I have also been looking to get one of the brighter small lights they have as well :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #77 on: April 15, 2017, 03:14:23 PM

:like:

With whats on your keychain you really are set, the RR however is pretty wonderful.  I like to carry my reevaluated carry items and possibly a fun items just because.
:cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #78 on: April 15, 2017, 04:42:04 PM
I have looked into.getting a PW or a PW2 for last few years and just never have pulled the trigger yet :facepalm:

That is an awesome carry Aloha and yes the Olights are fantastic lights :tu: I have also been looking to get one of the brighter small lights they have as well :tu:

I have the Ti Thrunite 160+ lumen which is pretty awesome for AAA.  I have to admit tho, the LD02 with its clicky is pretty nice light.  I will also admit that I like the strobe mode.  I run all my lights off eneloops so I get a bit more run time than spec'd. 

Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #79 on: April 21, 2017, 12:39:43 PM
I'm also playing with how I'm carrying mine.  Above you can see what I've done for years with small tools, simply clipped them to my keys, but I'm currently trying out just having a small tool set on one 'S' biner and keeping my keys less bulky.  I'd normally of removed the MT from my keys to use them anyway but with much less in the way I'm not sure I need to do that quite so often.  It's all an experiment and time will tell.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #80 on: April 22, 2017, 05:47:09 PM

I have the Ti Thrunite 160+ lumen which is pretty awesome for AAA.  I have to admit tho, the LD02 with its clicky is pretty nice light.  I will also admit that I like the strobe mode.  I run all my lights off eneloops so I get a bit more run time than spec'd. 

I need to give those lights a look at :salute: :like:

Also been meaning to get some eneloops  for years :facepalm: :whistle: :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #81 on: April 22, 2017, 05:48:04 PM
I'm also playing with how I'm carrying mine.  Above you can see what I've done for years with small tools, simply clipped them to my keys, but I'm currently trying out just having a small tool set on one 'S' biner and keeping my keys less bulky.  I'd normally of removed the MT from my keys to use them anyway but with much less in the way I'm not sure I need to do that quite so often.  It's all an experiment and time will tell.

After the Gerber challenge I may try this as I have an extra S biner or 2 laying around in that size :think: :like: :like:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #82 on: April 22, 2017, 05:50:11 PM

Get them Eneloops.  :pok:  :D

I use a Ti3. Firefly is good for reading at night and doing something without disturbing anyone, and the 120 lumen high is plenty high.  :like:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #83 on: April 22, 2017, 10:56:01 PM

Get them Eneloops.  :pok:  :D

I use a Ti3. Firefly is good for reading at night and doing something without disturbing anyone, and the 120 lumen high is plenty high.  :like:

The Ti3 is a cracking little light, but I have to say I'd carry it a lot more if it had a proper mode memory. :-\

ph Offline carboncopy101

Reply #84 on: April 27, 2017, 04:14:05 AM
Evaluated my off day carry, and it seems that I use the blades, bottle and can opener, and corkscrew. I use the magnifier a lot, thus, using the explorer most of the time. However, switching to the swisschamp made me realize how badly I need a ruler and a file. The rest of the tools just gives me the feeling that anything I can fix with all those tools. I guess I'll try bringing a tape measure plus explorer to see if its better.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #85 on: April 27, 2017, 06:41:54 AM
The fun part is deciding what you like to have and what you can live without.  A Swisschamp to me is fine even if I never use the fish tickler.  The idea of having one tool with many capabilities is enough to carry it when I did. 

I am still carrying my 84mm Tinker, Pocket Wrench 2, and Fenix LD02.  I have missed the scissors on a few occasions but my I have realized that the combo tool on my Golfer isn't so great.   
Esse Quam Videri

ph Offline carboncopy101

Reply #86 on: April 27, 2017, 07:13:36 AM
The fun part is deciding what you like to have and what you can live without.  A Swisschamp to me is fine even if I never use the fish tickler.  The idea of having one tool with many capabilities is enough to carry it when I did. 

I am still carrying my 84mm Tinker, Pocket Wrench 2, and Fenix LD02.  I have missed the scissors on a few occasions but my I have realized that the combo tool on my Golfer isn't so great.

That is true. I like the feeling we get when we have a tool in our pocket right for the task.  :salute:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #87 on: April 30, 2017, 09:41:21 PM
Off today as a result of not getting the equipment I needed.  Oh well  :D

So I was out early to take care of life stuff and reached for 84mm Tinker, Leatherman #5, Squirt P4,  and Fenix LD02.  This really is working out nicely.  I do switch out my LM#5 for my pocket wrench 2 or even my simple pry bar.  I will also switch out my Tinker for my Cadet 2.  I haven't yes switched out my light tho. 

The reason I switch out tools is mostly due to where I go and what I feel for the day.  I also find it keeps things fun.  The reason I haven't switched out my light is cause my Fenix SS EO5 can be wonky.  It doesn't alway go on even with a fresh cell.  I have other AAA lights but I like the LD02.  I might try another AAA I have to keep things fun. 

Here is where another change will occur just for testing purposes. I just acquitted a SOG Crossgrip.  Its a bit larger than my P4 but not terrible.  I can still carry it rather comfortably and it has nearly all the same tools. 

I don't have that pressing urge to carry a larger tool on my off day when I leave the house.  I struggled with feeling under prepared but it has totally passed. 

Its been really interesting changing things around when off.  Now when I decide to stuff my pockets or load my belt up its because I just want to enjoy the tools rather than because I feel under prepared.   
IMG_2832.JPG
* IMG_2832.JPG (Filesize: 290.48 KB)
IMG_2833.JPG
* IMG_2833.JPG (Filesize: 283.6 KB)
IMG_2834.JPG
* IMG_2834.JPG (Filesize: 272.58 KB)
IMG_2835.JPG
* IMG_2835.JPG (Filesize: 285.49 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #88 on: April 30, 2017, 10:56:32 PM
Oh, nice find on the Crossgrip mate.  That's one of the few MTs that I'd still like to get my hands on for very much the same reasons you've got it. :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #89 on: May 01, 2017, 06:40:11 AM
I was clearing out some things in the garage and vehicle and those little pliers on the SOG are nice.  I spent some time getting the chisel ground edge up to par and it not bad either.  I am not entirely sure about he odd little Philips driver yet but I'll reserve judgement for now. 

The one thing I really liked on the Leatherman P4 was the tools were on the outside.  Not a deal breaker for the SOG but noteworthy. 

I also was a tad bummed the file on the SOG was only one sided.  Hooray for the P4 being 3 sided.  Again I won't yet judge to harshly for now.  The tool preformed as needed today so thats a win in my book. 

Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD