Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Reevaluating my off day carry

Aloha · 301 · 17968

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Reevaluating my off day carry
Reply #90 on: May 30, 2017, 04:16:55 PM
I carried my new to me SOG Crossgrip enough to know its not making the cut.  You can read more here https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,72150.msg1482599.html#msg1482599

I've also made a few leather things to carry my items.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,72132.msg1482704.html#msg1482704

So where am I with what I'm carrying?  Well the 84mm Tinker seems to be the most carried SAK days off.  I recently cleaned up a square phillips 84mm Tinker so I'd have a spare. I have 2 Fenix LD02 lights which is a good thing for me.  The simplicity of those lights combined with a clicky make them an easy choice to carry. 

I've all but ditched the simple pry tool.  I much favor my Pocket Wrench 2 as it can do so much, I also have 2 of those. 

I still add in items at will simply because they are fun to carry.  I am in no way "set".  These are things that work now and when or if the need arises then I like many will adjust. 

Remember this is not about how little I can manage with.  This isn't about carrying a paperclip to show how ingenious I am in tackling what comes my way. 

Its about carrying items that I know I'll need and knowing that I cannot or don't want to be prepared for every possible scenario.   

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #91 on: June 22, 2017, 10:33:35 PM
Ok back again with some more thoughts. 

I tried to carry a SAK with combo tool in the form of my Bantom or Golfer both 84mm.  I just cannot get on with those combo tools when it comes to opening cans.  I can admit that I love the regular SAK can opener best. 

I've needed scissors on a few occasions.  My carry doesn't include them.  It wasn't critical but it would have been more convenient.

I'm still loving my 84mm Tinker.  There's nothing to dislike.  If it had scissors then it would be near perfect.  Not having them tho is not a big deal. 

I love my Pocket Wrench 2.  If you own one you know what I'm taking about.  Other than cut it can do so much.

Fenix LD02.  I would have never thought I'd like this light as much as I do.  My Fenix SS E05 is such a disappointment.  Its so temperamental.  It works then it doesn't.  Ah well.

Leatherman P4 is the bees knees.  Its the best little tool for me.

So my thing now is how to carry these tools.  I made a sheath for my P4 and Tinker.  Its nice ( to me ) and works great.  I am enjoying carrying it.

My light and pen ride together in a sheath.  Its ok but I'd like to make a pad holder that would include holding my pen.

I made a prototype of a sheath I have for a 58mm SAK.  This started out being for my Manager so you'll see where I cut a slit in the leather.  I later realized I should try to fit my 84mm Tinker.  Well I actually like how it fits.  I thought the space my Tinker filled in the sheath I made for it and my P4 could now hold my PW2. 

So as you see not much has really changed.  I am still running my 84mm Tinker, Leatherman P4, Fenix LD02, and Pocket Wrench 2.  These 4 small tools all do what I need and much more.  They are easy to carry and tough as nails. 

Now I must mention that I am playing around with a BO Tread bracelet.  Its been 3 days ?  Well its only been a little bit now.  I won't consider this as part of what my thread is about, just thought it was worth mentioning.

IMG_3230.JPG
* IMG_3230.JPG (Filesize: 208.5 KB)
IMG_3231.JPG
* IMG_3231.JPG (Filesize: 200.78 KB)
IMG_3232.JPG
* IMG_3232.JPG (Filesize: 230.46 KB)
IMG_3225.JPG
* IMG_3225.JPG (Filesize: 181.02 KB)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 10:35:48 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #92 on: June 22, 2017, 11:01:22 PM
Sorry to hear the SOG didn't work out better.  I'm trying to think of an argument against the P4 but as it's been my carry for a month or more, I really can't think of one. :think:  My little group of P4, Vic Rambler and Nitecore Tube with some kind of knife or SAK added really has covered my needs. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #93 on: June 23, 2017, 10:23:54 AM
Sorry to hear the SOG didn't work out better.  I'm trying to think of an argument against the P4 but as it's been my carry for a month or more, I really can't think of one. :think:  My little group of P4, Vic Rambler and Nitecore Tube with some kind of knife or SAK added really has covered my needs. 

Well there is an easy negative - it is hard to kick out of your EDC
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #94 on: June 23, 2017, 12:49:18 PM

that's it.  the damn thing just won't get out of my pocket. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #95 on: June 23, 2017, 12:51:58 PM

that's it.  the damn thing just won't get out of my pocket. :D

That's what she said...

:whistle:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #96 on: June 24, 2017, 12:19:41 AM

Glad to hear your carry has been working out for you.  When I initially stopped carrying a full size MT I honestly thought I'd regret it.  I'm glad to report I haven't regretted it one bit. 

The Leatherman P4 is really quite a little workhorse.  The Rambler is a terrific SAK and while I don't have a Tube, from everything I've read and watched ( reviews ) it looks like a solid little light. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #97 on: October 16, 2017, 07:55:27 PM
Back again.  What has continued to work has been the 84mm Tinker.  I don't know why I really like this SAK.  I think the 84mm line is just sublime.  I've been looking at the 85mm line a lot however and trying to see if anything attracts me.  The Victorinx EVO 16 is really looking great.  I think I'll need to eventually get one and give it a go.  I love the red and black evo grip scales a lot.  I've also mentioned scissors are missing from my carry.  Its not been crucial but if I can get them into a SAK that works for me then I'd like to try.   

My light choice has changed a bit.  I got a Manker EO2 and really like it.  I am a sucker for the strobe feature.  Yeah I know, theres not a lot of love for it among light enthusiast.  Hey whatever floats your boat is what I say.  Since I really like my Fenix LD02 I carry both.  Why not? 

My Leatherman Squirt P4 has remained a wonderful. This tool is the bees knees as I"ve already mentioned.  I don't see it loosing its spot anytime soon.  The tool set it a real compliment to my Tinker and should continue to be if I get the EVO 16.   

My Pocket Wrench 2.  Well despite my love of this tool it has not been carried as much as it initially was.  I think I need to find a better way to carry it.  I would like to remake my Tinker/Squirt sheath to include a space for it.  I decide to carry it when I feel like it or if I feel I may need a bit more oomph than my Squirt is up to.   

What I am beginning to realize is ease of carry makes all the difference for me.  Ok I guess that's always been true.  I want to have a compact carry system that fits into my pocket comfortably.   I have to be able to carry my tools in a way that makes sense for me.  On my off days I need to be able to take out my sheath, remove a tool, then put the tool back all without fuss.  I also don't want every pocket to be loaded down.

This brings me to folders.  I am still having an off and on relationship with them.  I like to carry them and when I do I lean on my Delicas.  One is fully serrated and one PE.  You might notice I've got one configured for left hand and one for right hand.  I'm a dominant lefty BUT only slightly.  I can use either hand effectively.  I like to carry the waved Delica on my right side.   Oddly tho I carry my serrated Delica either in my right rear pocket or left front pocket.  Thats a whole other thread tho.  I do like to carry my Al Mar when I want to be gentlemanly.  I like the knife a lot and mostly carry it when the urge strikes. 

I am not having the best time with my Space pen.  I had a leak and was really disappointed.  The form factor is nice and my issue was probably one of very few.  The sheath I've made for it is working out good. 

My ever present Manager in a sheath.  I keep this on my house keychain.  I wish I could find another sheath like this.  The sheath originally housed a Classic but I wet formed it to accept my Manager.  Love this SAK and sheath.

Lastly is a sheath I made but have repurposed it to carry a mini Bic and fox 40.  Not entirely sure if I am gonna carry it everyday.  It rode well on my house keychain.  I'd like to make it a bit smaller and maybe with a snap closure.  We'll see. 

IMG_3722.JPG
* IMG_3722.JPG (Filesize: 214.37 KB)
IMG_3724.JPG
* IMG_3724.JPG (Filesize: 178.45 KB)
IMG_3721.JPG
* IMG_3721.JPG (Filesize: 127.33 KB)
IMG_3723.JPG
* IMG_3723.JPG (Filesize: 245.67 KB)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 07:59:47 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #98 on: October 16, 2017, 07:57:24 PM
My awesome Manager sheath.   The min Bic and Fox 40 in its repurposed sheath. 
IMG_3725.JPG
* IMG_3725.JPG (Filesize: 174.49 KB)
IMG_3719.JPG
* IMG_3719.JPG (Filesize: 129.42 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #99 on: October 16, 2017, 08:18:33 PM
:like:  those sheaths, especially the ones you made yourself. I wish I had that kind of talent,
and as always  it's very interesting to follow the natural progression of your EDC, it's thought provoking to say the least   :cheers:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #100 on: October 16, 2017, 08:21:28 PM
:like:  those sheaths, especially the ones you made yourself. I wish I had that kind of talent,
and as always  it's very interesting to follow the natural progression of your EDC, it's thought provoking to say the least   :cheers:

:oops:

I have patience not talent  :rofl:.  I also copied both styles of sheaths ( tinker/squirt and light/pen ) unapologetically  :D.  Get some leather or similar material and give it a go. Its really fun to see what comes about. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #101 on: October 18, 2017, 12:10:53 PM
Love reading this and getting an understanding of why you carry what you do :tu: It really is good to see how others get to where they are in their carry :like: :like:

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #102 on: October 18, 2017, 12:29:38 PM

:oops:

I have patience not talent  :rofl:.  I also copied both styles of sheaths ( tinker/squirt and light/pen ) unapologetically  :D.  Get some leather or similar material and give it a go. Its really fun to see what comes about.

Sewing is really not that hard you just must give it a go. It is often frustrating and it takes a while to get a hang of but almost anyone can do it. But then again the same can be said about most things...  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #103 on: October 18, 2017, 11:25:28 PM
I will give you combo options tested by me:

- Vic Cadet
- Vic folding scissors (Nogent scissors really) >>> http://www.ciseauxpliants.fr/Files/1_bordeaux__trio_.jpg
- LM Mini

- LM Style PS
- Vic Cadet

- Vic Manager
- LM Skeletool or Freestyle

- Vic Voyager
- LM Mini

- LM PS4 or LM Style PS
- Vic Bantam

- LM Style CS
- LM Skeletool

And so on...

« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 11:26:43 PM by alexTOOL »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #104 on: October 18, 2017, 11:59:08 PM

- Vic Cadet
- Vic folding scissors (Nogent scissors really) >>> http://www.ciseauxpliants.fr/Files/1_bordeaux__trio_.jpg
- LM Mini

- LM Style PS
- Vic Cadet

- Vic Manager

- Vic Voyager
- LM Mini

- LM PS4 or LM Style PS
- Vic Bantam

- LM Style CS
- LM Skeletool

And so on...

Which set is used most often?  I notice some "favorites". 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #105 on: October 19, 2017, 04:15:29 AM
Aloha,

So, you no longer carry a regular sized Leatherman or other multi on your days off?

I will agree that the P4 (Now the Squirt PS4 if I'm not wrong) is a really nice tool packed into a small package. My buddy who works with me lost his on the Job. I carry a PST or bigger, plus a Super Tinker, so I was kind of ribbing him over what I perceived as a toy of a Leatherman.

Anyway, I bought him another PS4 on his birthday to replace the lost one. I took it out of the package to make sure it was all there before gifting, and I almost didn't want to give it. Very nice plyers. Far better than the Deluxe Tinker plyers.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #106 on: October 19, 2017, 04:29:23 AM
I have an original PST for weekends to keep it casual but still ready. That is unless I am working on the truck or Jeep, then it is dedicated Craftsman tools with the Surge as the gopher or backup.

I pair my LM with any one from my Tinker line, Tinker, Super or Deluxe.

If I get another OG PST, I would even carry one at work. I'm old school like that.

When I walk the Thundah Beagle at night, I carry my Surge. OHO is great if my other hand is bound up in the leash.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #107 on: October 19, 2017, 04:33:11 AM
And to top it all off, Scout the ThundahBeagle is now outfitted with a red BSA Classic SD snapped to his collar

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #108 on: October 19, 2017, 04:54:27 AM
Scout the Thundah Beagle's new adventure carry

Or, as seen here, his lounge-around- the house- carry
IMG_0686.JPG
* IMG_0686.JPG (Filesize: 302.64 KB)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #109 on: October 19, 2017, 06:49:23 AM
Aloha,

So, you no longer carry a regular sized Leatherman or other multi on your days off?

I will agree that the P4 (Now the Squirt PS4 if I'm not wrong) is a really nice tool packed into a small package. My buddy who works with me lost his on the Job. I carry a PST or bigger, plus a Super Tinker, so I was kind of ribbing him over what I perceived as a toy of a Leatherman.

Anyway, I bought him another PS4 on his birthday to replace the lost one. I took it out of the package to make sure it was all there before gifting, and I almost didn't want to give it. Very nice plyers. Far better than the Deluxe Tinker plyers.

Yes the Squirt PS4 did replace the P4.   I have a PS4 that does see some pocket time but there are issues with it.  I may have highlighted them somewhere, maybe even in this thread. 

Anyway no I don't always carry a full size MT on my off days.  If I really feel like I may end up somewhere or doing something that having them is better than not having them then sure.  I found that over the years a small plier or my Pocket Wrench 2 was enough.  I agree the pliers on the Squirt are much tougher than the SAK pliers.  I have to admit tho, I've never seen the SAK pliers as "pliers".  I've always seen them more as "super tweezer".  They are great but limited as compared to the Squirts. 

If I feel full sized pliers should be carried then I do have a Charge AL that I like.  I also will carry this same tool at home when I'm doing stuff around the home and the convenience of having pliers is important.

What I have realized was my 84mm Tinker, Squirt P4, and soon to be PW2 again once I figure a good way to carry it, are quite a capable trio.  I've noted that when I feel the need I do add in a folder.  I made a thread about evolution and I feel I've evolved in what I carry and how I like to carry these items.  It was not about going minimal yet it seems that way. 

I always have a Swisstool on in my vehicle so technically I'm not far from a MT.         
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #110 on: October 19, 2017, 04:55:32 PM
Heres the post I made of why I like the P4 over the PS4.  Could I get by with the PS4? Yes.  I certainly could.  I may mod the tool to shape the scales like the P4 but I hesitate cause if the tool should break LM may not warranty it.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,72166.msg1485448.html#_
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #111 on: October 19, 2017, 11:50:30 PM

- Vic Cadet
- LM Mini

- LM Style PS
- Vic Cadet

- Vic Manager

- Vic Voyager
- LM Mini

- LM PS4 or LM Style PS
- Vic Bantam

- LM Style CS
- LM Skeletool

And so on...

Which set is used most often?  I notice some "favorites".

It is difficult to downloadsize...  :P :rant: :facepalm:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #112 on: November 23, 2017, 04:17:06 PM
Well here I am again droning on about my off day carry.  Thanks for listening or pretending to do so  :D.

I have been thinking about how I got here and why.  Here being my choice of off day carry items.  I posted this so I could try to determine how and why I've decided to carry what I carry.    https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,74242.msg1568299.html#msg1568299

I read so many on here talking about natural progression.  I called it evolution.  Whatever we choose to call it many of us go through some kind of process.  I've come full circle at times as I've read other have too.  I've then gone outside the box just to see what that would be like. 

Where am I then?  Well, pretty much the same, kinda.  Sheath with P4 and 84mm Tinker.  Manager in sheath on house keys.  I have been carrying my mini Bic and Fox 40 whistle in the sheath I showed.  I have abandoned my Space pen and sheath thing.  I'll come to that in a sec.  I carry my light ( Fenix LD02 ) on my house keys.  I'm not entirely happy with it there.  More on that later too.  I've also made an effort to carry a dedicated folder.  Why?  Not entirely sure actually.  I have been carrying my Delica 4. 

So about the Space pen.  While I like the sheath I made to carry the pen and light I am not happy with the pen in the sheath.  I'm not without pen as my Manager has one.  I need to really think about just carrying the pen loose in pocket.

As a result of abandoning the pen/light sheath I needed a way to carry my light.  For now I clipped my light ( Fenix LD02 ) onto my house keys.  Its not ideal as the keychain is bulky.  I tried to clip my Manker E02 onto my car keys but that also is not ideal. 

I have gone back and forth thinking I might get a newer brighter keychain specific light like the Nitecore Tube or TIP or Makner.  This way the light is "made" for keychain carry.  I am leaning towards that for now. 

I like SAKs.  I feel like I want to carry my Alox from time to time and justifying carrying it happens.  If I already have a Manager and 84mm Tinker why?  Now I'm making an effort to carry a folder ( Delica 4) so really?

What I know about me is I like these tools and why the heck not!  My "goal" was never to be a minimalist.  I had no goal actually.  Like I began this post today, I think I've evolved more than anything. 

I do want to figure out my light carry.  I also want to make a decision about my pen carry. 

The constants have been my Manager and my Tinker/Squirt P4 sheath.  The new addition is my mini Bic/Fox40 carry.  I really like having this duo. 

I may need to pull the trigger on the keychain light.   

Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #113 on: November 23, 2017, 04:49:59 PM
Nothing to add...

Do what you like!
Redundancy? It's used in safety systems for a reason ;)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #114 on: November 23, 2017, 06:14:27 PM
I want to be like Ronald.  I want to carry several SAKs because dammit I can.  I imagine myself emptying my pockets and lookin gat the table.  I'm standing there wondering why the F all this stuff in in them.  I began rationalizing why when I stop myself mid rationalization. 

Manager on keychain.  Serves me so well and is a bullet proof carry tool.  It does have limits.
Tinker in sheath.  I continue to be surprised how well I like this simple SAK.  Paired with my Manager and I feel I can nearly dominate the world.................. :D
Squirt P4 in sheath with Tinker.  Having pliers is a good thing.  Having small effective pliers is awesome.  I also get a file, Awl, a variety of smaller drivers in such a compact package.  WIN WIN WIN. 

I dont "need" to carry anything else BUT I want to, sometimes.  So I'll pop a larger SAK in my pocket.  The second it hits the bottom of my pocket I wonder to myself, WHY?  Why am I brining this tool along?  What purpose does it serve? 

I am not a minimalist.  I am not a minimalist.  I say again, I am not a minimalist.  I also don't have to justify to myself why.  But I do and then I take the SAK out and at some point in my day I yet again question why? 

I don't have a point by the way.  If you were thinking I do. 

I will continue to cary my "core" items and when the urge strikes I WILL carry what I want in addition.  Redundancy is for many part of thier system.  Its a system unto itself.  My mind doesn't work that way actually.  I may have said 1 is none and 2 is one but I really dont adhere to that in my day to day.  I don't consciously make the effort to do so. 

Today I will add my Farmer to my mix.  Why?  Because thats why  :salute: 
Esse Quam Videri

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #115 on: November 23, 2017, 06:32:21 PM
Do you know that scene from the 2005 movie Sahara, where Dirk and Al are captured by Tuareg, and Al unloads? One of the funniest movie scenes ever, imo.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #116 on: November 24, 2017, 09:16:23 AM
I want to be like Ronald.  I want to carry several SAKs because dammit I can.  I imagine myself emptying my pockets and lookin gat the table.  I'm standing there wondering why the F all this stuff in in them.  I began rationalizing why when I stop myself mid rationalization. 

Manager on keychain.  Serves me so well and is a bullet proof carry tool.  It does have limits.
Tinker in sheath.  I continue to be surprised how well I like this simple SAK.  Paired with my Manager and I feel I can nearly dominate the world.................. :D
Squirt P4 in sheath with Tinker.  Having pliers is a good thing.  Having small effective pliers is awesome.  I also get a file, Awl, a variety of smaller drivers in such a compact package.  WIN WIN WIN. 

I dont "need" to carry anything else BUT I want to, sometimes.  So I'll pop a larger SAK in my pocket.  The second it hits the bottom of my pocket I wonder to myself, WHY?  Why am I brining this tool along?  What purpose does it serve? 

I am not a minimalist.  I am not a minimalist.  I say again, I am not a minimalist.  I also don't have to justify to myself why.  But I do and then I take the SAK out and at some point in my day I yet again question why? 

I don't have a point by the way.  If you were thinking I do. 

I will continue to cary my "core" items and when the urge strikes I WILL carry what I want in addition.  Redundancy is for many part of thier system.  Its a system unto itself.  My mind doesn't work that way actually.  I may have said 1 is none and 2 is one but I really dont adhere to that in my day to day.  I don't consciously make the effort to do so. 

Today I will add my Farmer to my mix.  Why?  Because thats why  :salute:

Aloha = always a good read.

I have found myself asking "why do I carry all this stuff" as well. But I continue to do so. Often I find my backpack getting too heavy. I have to remove everything and 'restock it full of only the " must-haves" and get rid of extra weight periodically. So I like the idea behind this thread.

Not familiar with the Manager, but for me, if it is cellidor and on a keychain, it is not bulletproof and it is just a matter of time.

Having plyers IS a good thing. And small, effective ones are smart. I don't have a P4 yet, but if I can find one, I'm gettin it. I may pick up a PS4, if I don't find a P4 soon.

I have never found a 91 mm SAK to be too big in the pocket, probably because I have always had one, and the 91's have ever been the only SAK' s I've ever known until recently. They are the smallest thing I carry, in my mind, even though the PST is comparable, but that come with a sheath.

I cont get past the feeling that the Classic may have originally been deigned for sale with Barbie dolls. The blade seems so thin and shallow, certainly compared to the P4 or PS4, I gave the classic to my dog to wear on his collar. By the way, his leash attachment on his Kurgo red and blue collar also happens to be a bottle opener. So even Scout the ThundahBeagle carries a helpful combo just in case.

When I really want to go "one tool to rule them all", I carry my Leatherman Suge with my red MagLite Solitaire in one of the elastic side pockets of the sheath, and that pretty much covers everything. Minimalist as it is one tool, but not minimalist because of the many components.

Although, I do subscribe to 2=1 and 1=none...I find myself carrying complimentary LM/ SAK combinations, with another such combination in my backpack. Always. Expanding from there is pointless, as I have a toolbox of real tools in my truck, and another at home. On my person, An LM with no scissors, such as the Rebar, is paired with Super Tinker. PST II is paired with Camper II. That type of thing. I like to have both a saw and a scissors along with my plyers. When I carry just the simple Tinker, I could carry the SURGE because it has both saw and scissors, but then, I wouldn't need the Tinker..

Can't seem to go out the door with just a SAK or just a PS4 yet.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #117 on: November 24, 2017, 02:01:31 PM
Do you know that scene from the 2005 movie Sahara, where Dirk and Al are captured by Tuareg, and Al unloads? One of the funniest movie scenes ever, imo.

I am not familiar with this movie but I will look it up. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #118 on: January 04, 2018, 06:09:05 PM
Back again.  Mostly a bit of rambling but then again thats pretty much what I do.  Not much has changed.  Manager on house keys, mini bic in sheath on same keychain, and FenixLD02.  Kinda dangly all on that keychain but not terrible.  Car keys have photon X.  I have my sheath that has LM P4 and 84mm Tinker in pocket thats been a staple now for a while. 

I get bored.  I have added the dedicated blade which is nice to have.  My Delica now has a stripped screw hole.  The pocket clip was loose so I removed it and cleaned the screws and added blue loctight.  One screw just spun.  Aw well its holding on for now and I'll deal with it when the screw falls out.  I have my waved Delica so its not a big deal. 

A few days ago I was rummaging thru my box of tools and located my Skeletool CX.  I'm not sure why I didn't get along with it.  Anyway, I put it in my pocket and what a treat.  I had to add a bit card because it made sense.  I've carried it now for a few days and its come in handy.  I've disassembled a microwave and pulled some nails.  I'll carry it again today cause I anticipate needing it. 

I feel I am a creature of habit so many great tools wont get time.  I want to get back to trying tools just for the experience and for the fun.  While my set up is stable and functional theres no reason why I cannot play a bit.  Oh and I've carried my pioneer a lot lately too. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #119 on: January 04, 2018, 07:25:54 PM
Aloha - always great reads on how your EDC evolves!   :tu:

As you know I recently changed mine from just carrying the Explorer and my Olight to trying out a Champ Plus, P4 and of course the Olight.  Whether I carry the Explorer or Champ Plus, I always use a suspension clip since I don't like the feel in the pocket and with the clip they don't feel as heavy nor do they move around.  I haven't needed to use the P4 plier's yet though!

This combo seems to work okay but I do find that it is more than I want to carry on some days so I have been just pocket carrying a Compact instead of the Champ Plus for the last couple days and find it to be okay but I do prefer sak's with the mag lens/inline philips.  I use those two tool often and just love the inline philips.  I might end up going back to the Explorer since it has those tools and is a smaller form factor compared to the Champ Plus but I will still have to carry it via suspension clip which is kind of a bummer.  Now if you could take a Compact and add the mag/philips layer, then it would be slightly smaller than the Explorer itself and might be just perfect!

As far as full size MT's go, I can't remember the last time I even carried one just as an EDC setup.  I only pack one when I know I am going outside my "urban" environment like hiking or if we are out biking around!

The way I carry these items is by putting the Olight and P4 in watch pocket of jeans and then the sak is suspended or riding in the right front pocket.  I would like to try a leather pouch someday like you made for a sak like the Explorer, the P4 and even the Olight all in one.  That would be pretty cool.  I should see who can make me one for a decent price or google search for one!

Of course, this will change or at least be re-evaluated once Spring/Summer gets here when the shorts come out!  I do know that one of those pouches would also work when wearing shorts! :)
EDC_122217.jpg
* EDC_122217.jpg (Filesize: 48.1 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69