Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any other Box enthusiasts?

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: Any other Box enthusiasts?
Reply #90 on: May 19, 2018, 07:53:03 PM
 :rofl: :facepalm:
Barry

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #91 on: May 19, 2018, 07:53:59 PM
so young, so innocent, so pure
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #92 on: May 19, 2018, 08:59:48 PM
So wrong

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #93 on: May 19, 2018, 09:00:36 PM
From another thread:

note to post some green  tools when more sober !

Now that explains alot... ::)

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #94 on: May 19, 2018, 09:06:47 PM

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #95 on: May 19, 2018, 09:12:16 PM

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #96 on: May 19, 2018, 09:39:57 PM
This topic inspired me to put the receipt for my Fieldmaster in it's original box

20180519_163623-1.jpg
* 20180519_163623-1.jpg (Filesize: 108.63 KB)

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #97 on: May 19, 2018, 09:48:17 PM
This topic inspired me to put the receipt for my Fieldmaster in it's original box
:2tu:

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #98 on: May 19, 2018, 09:49:51 PM
:tu:  :like:
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #99 on: May 19, 2018, 10:59:59 PM

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #100 on: May 19, 2018, 11:05:04 PM

That is a rare one CeHo! :like: :tu: :tu:

:cheers:

I heard ~ 19.000 were made... maybe some more...

It is a very cool set 👍 Unfortunately the packaging is a little damaged

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #101 on: May 19, 2018, 11:07:03 PM

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #102 on: May 19, 2018, 11:08:22 PM

:like: :tu: :tu:

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #104 on: May 20, 2018, 06:36:52 PM

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #105 on: May 20, 2018, 06:38:16 PM

Reply #106 on: May 20, 2018, 07:51:21 PM
(Image removed from quote.)
I've admired those Ibach scales several times,  :like:

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #107 on: May 20, 2018, 08:01:56 PM
 :tu:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #108 on: May 20, 2018, 09:29:12 PM

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #109 on: May 20, 2018, 09:36:12 PM

Cool handle CeHo! :like: :tu: :tu:

Thanks  :tu:

Unfortunately I missed it to buy two of these... (on for the collection and one for EDC tasks...

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #110 on: May 22, 2018, 04:38:44 AM
Here's a cool one I picked up recently.   I happen to be a big LL Bean fan, and have personally been a customer since my high school days. My family has been collectively patronizing Bean since the 1940s.  I don't really collect Wenger SAKs, other than those that LL Bean sold back in the day.   The listing for this one didn't make mention of the packaging, so it didn't trip any of my regular searches; I just stumbled upon it while looking for something else and noticed the LL Bean-labeled box.  Pretty cool when the SAK gods look out for you like that. 

Here are a few pics of the Wenger S.I., which is new and unused as far as I can tell, and the box it came in.  I also found an LL Bean catalog from Xmas 1984, showing the knife and the part number, and the price of $15.50.  I had to spend about 8 times that to land this baby.  Silly money for an otherwise unexceptional S.I., I know, but I just couldn't believe how cool the box was. 

EDIT: Forgot to add that the obverse tang of the main blade dates the knife to 1989.

Myron

« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 04:42:14 AM by Myron »

Reply #111 on: May 22, 2018, 04:41:18 AM
Here's a cool one I picked up recently.   I happen to be a big LL Bean fan, and have personally been a customer since my high school days. My family has been collectively patronizing Bean since the 1940s.  I don't really collect Wenger SAKs, other than those that LL Bean sold back in the day.   The listing for this one didn't make mention of the packaging, so it didn't trip any of my regular searches; I just stumbled upon it while looking for something else and noticed the LL Bean-labeled box.  Pretty cool when the SAK gods look out for you like that. 

Here are a few pics of the Wenger S.I., which is new and unused as far as I can tell, and the box it came in.  I also found an LL Bean catalog from Xmas 1984, showing the knife and the part number, and the price of $15.50.  I had to spend about 8 times that to land this baby.  Silly money for an otherwise unexceptional S.I., I know, but I just couldn't believe how cool the box was. 

Myron

Thank you for adding your story and photos, very cool!  :like:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #112 on: May 22, 2018, 06:08:44 AM
I am bonkers for boxes.  :ahhh
I prefer to have boxes with SAKs I purchase, and I'd be over the moon if there was an original receipt too.  :drool:

I thought I would show the oldest part of my collection for which I have boxes.  Since I am not the original owner of these (except the last one, the Camper), I have to trust that the box sold with the knife was original.

Show 'em if you like to share too!

My first SAK, the Camper, lost in a movie theater.

FOLDER,

I'm not sure if this is true of all ages of the slide out boxes, but my darker burgundy one is embossed '84' on the underside of the white slide-out tray.

If that is true of all burgundy boxes, and if it is true of the earlier red ones, and if each box is correct for the knife in it, then those of you with such boxes may be sitting on a treasure trove of information regarding possibly some of the most accurate manufacturing dates for different features of these knives that we have available

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #113 on: May 22, 2018, 06:21:44 AM

EDIT: Forgot to add that the obverse tang of the main blade dates the knife to 1989.

Myron

Nice, Myron. Nice

Ever been to Freeport?

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #114 on: May 22, 2018, 07:29:46 AM

If that is true of all burgundy boxes, and if it is true of the earlier red ones, and if each box is correct for the knife in it, then those of you with such boxes may be sitting on a treasure trove of information regarding possibly some of the most accurate manufacturing dates for different features of these knives that we have available

I was about to leave for work when I saw this.
Dropped my keys and ran upstairs.

Sure enough, my burgundy box has a date stamp at the bottom that I didn't notice before!

My Original Traveler with ad
(So a Climber without hook or keyring, with fluted corkscrew) is from 1984.
There is a "5" underneath the "84".
Is that the month?

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #115 on: May 22, 2018, 01:43:45 PM

I was about to leave for work when I saw this.
Dropped my keys and ran upstairs.

Sure enough, my burgundy box has a date stamp at the bottom that I didn't notice before!

My Original Traveler with ad
(So a Climber without hook or keyring, with fluted corkscrew) is from 1984.
There is a "5" underneath the "84".
Is that the month?

I don't know the answer to that but it is a reasonable presumption.  Mine simply is impressed with '84'.

Seems like it could be the the month, for those cases where it exists. Perhaps that might further support the idea that there may have been at least two assembly lines at the time - or separate contractors who made the boxes - and  they stamped the bottom dates differently

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #116 on: May 22, 2018, 02:42:56 PM
Here's a cool one I picked up recently.   I happen to be a big LL Bean fan, and have personally been a customer since my high school days. My family has been collectively patronizing Bean since the 1940s.   I just stumbled upon it while looking for something else and noticed the LL Bean-labeled box.  Pretty cool when the SAK gods look out for you like that. 

Here are a few pics of the Wenger S.I., which is new and unused as far as I can tell, and the box it came in.  I also found an LL Bean catalog from Xmas 1984, showing the knife and the part number, and the price of $15.50. 

Myron

Nice find Myron! :like: :tu: :tu:

Cool pic from the catalogue! :D

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #117 on: May 22, 2018, 02:49:09 PM

Nice, Myron. Nice

Ever been to Freeport?

Thanks!

No, unfortunately I have never been to the flagship store in Freeport.  I always dreamt of going in my youth, but I confess that now that they have all the retail locations across the country the magic of the Mothership has lost its appeal somewhat.  I'm sure I'll get there someday, though. 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 02:50:33 PM by Myron »

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #118 on: May 22, 2018, 02:51:14 PM

Nice find Myron! :like: :tu: :tu:

Cool pic from the catalogue! :D

Thanks Vicman!

Reply #119 on: May 22, 2018, 03:14:02 PM
FOLDER,

I'm not sure if this is true of all ages of the slide out boxes, but my darker burgundy one is embossed '84' on the underside of the white slide-out tray.
I just did a quick check, I'll do a more in depth look after coffee, but my initial finding was the darker burgundy did have embossed numbers, my Scientist had 12 and 82.
A couple of the older ones I did find price tags that I didn't know were underneath the tray.  I'll look further and report back.

Edit... :think: according to SakWiki, "The Scientist was produced between 1986 and 1999 according to Victorinox."  So my box being stamped 82 doesn't work.  Maybe the box was made then.
The box is proper to the knife because it has the black stamp on the side saying "Scientist".
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 03:19:09 PM by FolderBeholder »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%