Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New (to me) Explorer, advice needed...

us Offline surfdaworld

New (to me) Explorer, advice needed...
on: March 04, 2017, 08:21:05 PM
Just received my first Explorer in the mail from Ebay......yay!   :climber:

It's actually in better condition than I was expecting from the item description. The tools are all in great shape, hardly a scratch on them. A couple of the 'plates' between tools are a little banged up on the ends, so looks like this was dropped a few times---however, the scales are completely unscathed!  One of them is a little loose, so I'm suspecting that a previous owner replaced the scales at some point.

I'm planning to remove the scales and buff out the metal burrs that are keeping it from fitting perfectly flat, but I'm undecided whether to glue these scales back on, or just buy a new set.  I've never done a scale swap (or even removed them) before, so any guidance would be appreciated!

us Offline TonySal

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Re: New (to me) Explorer, advice needed...
Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 08:32:45 PM
I just did my first- remove TP & TW, Gently pry off with a thin blade. Clean etc. Snap on new, press firmly or cover with cloth and tap gently.
Tube videos available.
Im sure you can if I can... lol

join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 09:17:07 PM
If you take the scales off using a thin blade carefully, you should be able to put them back on by snapping them on so no need for glue.  If you do want different scales like on Ebay or other places for a set of Plus scales, then you can add the pen and straight pin (if it doesn't have one).

As mentioned, there are videos out there showing how to replace/remove scales.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 09:30:21 PM
I just did my first scales swap on my Explorer not very long ago.  It's so easy I wish I had done it years ago.  YouTube showed me the way.
Barry

us Offline TonySal

Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 09:46:26 PM
Now Im lookng for Stay Glows. ....
join KNIFE RIGHTS

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 04:54:03 AM
Try warming up the scales a little with a hair dryer first before removing it to avoid any damage on the locks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline TonySal

Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 04:00:32 PM
Good one jaya man  :salute:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline surfdaworld

Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 08:48:53 PM
Thanks for the help, all! If I screw up these scales too bad, guess I can use the opportunity to replace them with Sapphire

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 11:55:13 PM
If the scales are loose, my guess is they are not going to sit solid without any (small) type of glue. The downside to use glue is they will be a lot harder to take off again when you want to replace them. IMHO the best thing would be to buy a new pair of scales to your liking, take the old ones off, wash up and scrub the sak in some warm soapy watter (not too hot, don't forget the mag glass case is plastic), and put the new ones in.

If you want too try and keep the old ones as intact as possible, even if not for use but only for backup, you can take them off in the warm watter as it maybe easier to do.
I usually take mine off by inserting the end of a thin long allan wrench on the T&T hole and give it a firm push upwards, that way i don't damage the sides trying to pry with a blade. But since your's already have a gap between the scales and liners, a thin blade will work as well.

BTW, i always put in a new one at the time, meaning if i'm replacing front and back i'll take the old front one off and put the new one in, then take the old back one off and put the new back one in. This way you only have to worry with the fitness of one at the time.
I squeeze them in on a small vice with protecting cardboard on the sides. I squeeze the two front end rivet holes in until they sit flush with the liner, hold it there for a minute or two, so the plastic around the rivet holes has time to set still in place then open the vice slowly. Then i move to squeezing on the back rivet hole (T&T end) and do the same process as before. If the middle one still has some gap, i'll just use a small clamp on that one and hold it for a minute or two, and take it off slowly.

Don't forget plastic is elastic and if you apply quick pressure and immediately relief that pressure (like pounding on it)  it will spring back (out) a bit and you will get some gap between the scales and the liner. The rivet head digs into the cellidor hole and has to set for a bit so it doesn't spring back.

Bottom line is, applying positive and continuous pressure slowly until there is no gap, hold there for a while, and remove pressure slowly. Check for results, if there is any gap repeat process.

It's the best i can explain it from my experience. I've always had good results this way. Hope it helps somehow  :cheers:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 12:01:56 AM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 12:47:11 AM
Now Im lookng for Stay Glows. ....

Stayglow Explorer.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return

us Offline surfdaworld

Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 02:25:12 AM
Thanks MacGyver! Great info, I'll give it a try.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 09:52:23 AM
Thanks MacGyver! Great info, I'll give it a try.

You're welcome mate  :cheers:
Hope it works out great. Don't forget to post some pics of the result  :D
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline surfdaworld

Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 12:39:59 AM
Thanks all for the advice! My new Sapphire scales arrived yesterday from Ebay, and I managed to get them installed without butchering anything too badly--though I must say, I was certain the new scales were going to break under the amount of force it took to get them seated properly. Glad to find out they're tougher than I had imagined!
 :climber:

us Offline TonySal

Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 01:04:10 AM
Very nice- theres always the Pry Panic Point but you see it will work.
Is the mag glass any good, do you use it alot?
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #15 on: March 11, 2017, 01:54:00 AM
 :cheers:Way to go!!  This is the Explorer I did my first scale swap on.

Powernoodle, those scales rock on that Explorer!   :tu: :like:
IMG_20170310_162838.jpg
* IMG_20170310_162838.jpg (Filesize: 125.62 KB)
Barry

us Offline surfdaworld

Reply #16 on: March 11, 2017, 05:07:22 AM
TonySal the magnifying glass is excellent quality for it's size, I'm very happy with it! Time will tell how much I'll need to use it, but I'm happy with the quality.
 :tu:

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: March 11, 2017, 01:03:26 PM
You can glue used scales using Goop Glue put a small drop where they snap on protect them with a rag and put them in a vice to dry overnight. Don't use Supper Glue it is too harsh and you will see where you glued when it is dry. Goop Glue dries gummy not hard.

Your new scales look real nice on your Explorer.  :like:

Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline surfdaworld

Reply #18 on: March 11, 2017, 08:54:48 PM
Thanks Mike! :cheers:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: March 12, 2017, 12:22:06 AM
Thanks all for the advice! My new Sapphire scales arrived yesterday from Ebay, and I managed to get them installed without butchering anything too badly--though I must say, I was certain the new scales were going to break under the amount of force it took to get them seated properly. Glad to find out they're tougher than I had imagined!
 :climber:

(Image removed from quote.)

Looks great mate  :like:
Glad too see everything worked out great.

Yes it takes quite a bit of squeeze to get them seated properly, but they are tough   :SAKnight:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%