Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

cooperation between Wetterlings & Gränsfors Bruk

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Re: cooperation between Wetterlings & Gränsfors Bruk
Reply #30 on: March 14, 2017, 07:20:19 PM
I got an email earlier today, telling me that he was out of town, and would not be able to process the order until tuesday next week, and that he was low on stock before going. He also had a lot of orders lately, so he was not sure if he had enough...
Also the shipping price was wrong, so that would increase as well.
Time will show if I actually get one or not.

Hmm, curious, I haven't heard anything from him  :think:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: March 14, 2017, 07:57:43 PM
I got an email earlier today, telling me that he was out of town, and would not be able to process the order until tuesday next week, and that he was low on stock before going. He also had a lot of orders lately, so he was not sure if he had enough...

Nor me. :shrug:  I'm not in a hurry or anything, but if it's not in stock or is going to be a week before it's dispatched it'd be nice to know.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #32 on: March 14, 2017, 08:10:59 PM

Nor me. :shrug:  I'm not in a hurry or anything, but if it's not in stock or is going to be a week before it's dispatched it'd be nice to know.

He probably mailed me right away because the shipping price was wrong.

I have asked him for a quote on correct shipping, but havent got an answer yet.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: March 16, 2017, 04:29:59 PM
Found this email from Wetterings, on the matter of the company's future, to a individual who asked what was going on.

"S.A Wetterlings has manufactured axes since the late 1800s. During the last century, the company's business has gone up and down, with a peak in the 1970s when the company produced over 150,000 axes.

Over the past 10 years the company has unfortunately faced decreased sales and insufficient profitability. Since January 2016 the company belongs to the same company group as Gränsfors Bruk AB, who also manufactures hand-forged axes.

As a consequence of this, the company has decided to no longer manufacture axes under the Wetterlings brand but instead become a production site of axes for Gränsfors Bruk.

Our production of Wetterlings axes will therefore be phased out continuously from April 1, 2017. We plan to deliver Wetterlings axes until the summer, but depending on demand, it is possible that some models run out earlier, while others may be in stock a little longer."

So it seems we won't be seeing any of the Wetterlings designs from here on out, though if there is a particular design the folks at GB like who knows?   I wouldn't hold my breath though. :-\

no Offline Grathr

Reply #34 on: March 16, 2017, 07:46:29 PM
Found this email from Wetterings, on the matter of the company's future, to a individual who asked what was going on.

"S.A Wetterlings has manufactured axes since the late 1800s. During the last century, the company's business has gone up and down, with a peak in the 1970s when the company produced over 150,000 axes.

Over the past 10 years the company has unfortunately faced decreased sales and insufficient profitability. Since January 2016 the company belongs to the same company group as Gränsfors Bruk AB, who also manufactures hand-forged axes.

As a consequence of this, the company has decided to no longer manufacture axes under the Wetterlings brand but instead become a production site of axes for Gränsfors Bruk.

Our production of Wetterlings axes will therefore be phased out continuously from April 1, 2017. We plan to deliver Wetterlings axes until the summer, but depending on demand, it is possible that some models run out earlier, while others may be in stock a little longer."

So it seems we won't be seeing any of the Wetterlings designs from here on out, though if there is a particular design the folks at GB like who knows?   I wouldn't hold my breath though. :-\

:-\

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #35 on: March 17, 2017, 04:12:23 AM
Seems sad to see a brand like that just be phased out :facepalm:

Maybe GB will take a design or 2 and keep the name alive  :-[

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: March 17, 2017, 02:25:26 PM

So, the Gransfors Bruks Wetterlings Les Stroud Bushman?  Yup, that just rolls off the tongue.  :D 

Seriously though, it is a damn shame.  In the time of my interest in axes Wetterlings were always the budget option to GB, say 90% of the quality but at 60% of the price.  An attractive bit of maths.  When Wetterlings prices came up to nearly the same as GB I thing most folks didn't see the benefit of saving just a couple of quid and so all the sales went to GB. :shrug:  The only upside I can see is that stores might actually be able to keep some GB axes on the shelf instead of "not in stock" we're used to seeing in most places.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #37 on: March 17, 2017, 02:31:08 PM

So, the Gransfors Bruks Wetterlings Les Stroud Bushman?  Yup, that just rolls off the tongue.  :D 

Seriously though, it is a damn shame.  In the time of my interest in axes Wetterlings were always the budget option to GB, say 90% of the quality but at 60% of the price.  An attractive bit of maths.  When Wetterlings prices came up to nearly the same as GB I thing most folks didn't see the benefit of saving just a couple of quid and so all the sales went to GB. :shrug:  The only upside I can see is that stores might actually be able to keep some GB axes on the shelf instead of "not in stock" we're used to seeing in most places.

Wetterings has always had that same problem.here as well :-\ Never able to handle the models I wanted to because they were always out of stock :facepalm:

Also as you said they took prices up to close to GB and that sure didn't help them any either :oops:

Gransfors Bruks Wetterlings Les Stroud Bushman Axe does sound awfully tempting :dd: :rofl:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #38 on: March 20, 2017, 12:41:27 PM

Got and email this morning saying they are out of stock. ::)  Got a refund quickly enough, but if your business is going to be on holiday for a week then I really do expect to know about it and save me wasting my time.  I'll not be shopping with him again.  On the upside I've ordered from another site so I'm still hopeful of getting one.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #39 on: March 21, 2017, 05:46:53 PM

Got and email this morning saying they are out of stock. ::)  Got a refund quickly enough, but if your business is going to be on holiday for a week then I really do expect to know about it and save me wasting my time.  I'll not be shopping with him again.  On the upside I've ordered from another site so I'm still hopeful of getting one.

I havent heard a word from him since I asked for a quote on shipping.
You ordered before me, so If he was out of stock then, he certainly must be now...

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: March 22, 2017, 11:34:52 AM
I wouldn't bother with him now either.  The good news is that I did find one in stock elsewhere and it arrived today.  More thoughts to follow in another thread.
DSC_0010.JPG
* DSC_0010.JPG (Filesize: 315.27 KB)

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #41 on: March 22, 2017, 01:46:05 PM
I got the email and the refund this morning, seller has been deleted from my bookmarks
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #42 on: March 22, 2017, 02:26:30 PM
I don't know if I'm being to hard here or not, I suspect it's a one man business, but leaving the site open with no message has just pissed me off.  He seemed to imply that he'd tried to send me another message before the one I actually received (and that was only in reply to a "what's going on" email I'd sent him).  Updated stock numbers and a bit of honesty and I'd have been happy to visit his store another time, but not now.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #43 on: March 22, 2017, 02:33:45 PM
I don't know if I'm being to hard here or not, I suspect it's a one man business, but leaving the site open with no message has just pissed me off.  He seemed to imply that he'd tried to send me another message before the one I actually received (and that was only in reply to a "what's going on" email I'd sent him).  Updated stock numbers and a bit of honesty and I'd have been happy to visit his store another time, but not now.

What has pissed me off even more is it still listed for sale on his website, one man band or not that's poor and I won't touch him with a barge pole.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: March 22, 2017, 08:24:33 PM

What has pissed me off even more is it still listed for sale on his website, one man band or not that's poor and I won't touch him with a barge pole.

I hadn't even looked.  No, that's not on at all.   :td:

no Offline Grathr

Reply #45 on: March 22, 2017, 09:09:03 PM

I hadn't even looked.  No, that's not on at all.   :td:

I had to send him a mail today asking him on the status.
I was not  surprised when he replied that he was out of stock, and issued a refund.
:(   

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #46 on: March 22, 2017, 09:25:20 PM
No connection other than a happy customer, but here's where I got mine: http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/sa-wetterlings---the-bushman-axe---developed-by-the-survivorman-les-stroud-16434-p.asp

Not a bargain price, but they did have one in stock and dispatched it quickly by 1st class post for less than £4.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #47 on: March 23, 2017, 12:06:13 AM
I wouldn't bother with him now either.  The good news is that I did find one in stock elsewhere and it arrived today.  More thoughts to follow in another thread.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it :cheers: :cheers:

Sorry to hear you guys had to deal with a bad seller :-\

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #48 on: March 23, 2017, 01:07:07 AM
At least no-one is out of pocket and I don't think there was any malice intended, just poor practice.:shrug:

us Offline wonderwolf

Reply #49 on: June 06, 2017, 04:57:08 AM
Just saw this as well....had been on the fence about getting a les stroud version for over a year. Finally just said heck with it and ordered one tonight. Shame wetterlings is gone but at least GB remains.  Could be worse...they could have been bought up by buck knives  :rofl:
"A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow" - The Edge

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #50 on: June 06, 2017, 08:54:25 AM
Just saw this as well....had been on the fence about getting a les stroud version for over a year. Finally just said heck with it and ordered one tonight. Shame wetterlings is gone but at least GB remains. Could be worse...they could have been bought up by buck knives  :rofl:

Very true.  It's a very parallel story to that of Victorinox and Wenger as far as I can tell.  If only GB would say they were going to keep some of the more individual Wetterling designs.  :-\

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%