Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Thoughts on the Octane

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Thoughts on the Octane
on: April 06, 2017, 03:42:35 PM
Got me a Gerber Octane a couple days ago.  This is one I've wanted off and on for quite a while, but never got it.  It has two key features I like, at least for convenience:  one hand deployable knife and pliers.  The downside is that it loses the versatility of butterfly opening handles.  I don't think it's possible to get all three features in one MT though.  It's light, so that helps.  Not a robust MT, but honestly, I only occasionally use my MTs, and most times it's for the OHO blade or pliers, so the Octane scores points there.  That package opener is wicked sharp too.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Re: Thoughts on the Octane
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 03:43:35 PM
I initially thought the angled position of the pliers would be awkward, but they may be handy for certain tasks.  I actually kind of like them.  Thy seem like a slightly smaller version of the Flik's pliers.  The wire cutters aren't the best, but I don't exactly cut wire typically, so whatever.

K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 03:46:36 PM
The pocket clip has good tension, but a little too good for a couple pairs of my pants.  It struggles to grab the pocket, and just fetches up at the start of the clip.  It worked fine today though, so I think it depends on the pants :think:

K-Tibbs

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 09:01:43 PM
Great pics and thoughts on this tool Mons :like: :like:

us Offline ChrisEDC247

Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 01:41:16 AM
Great review and pics!
 :like:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 04:47:42 AM
Thanks guys :)

K-Tibbs

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 05:26:11 AM
I've been carrying my red Octane quite a lot lately. It's my second one - I love them. It got some significant use today.. It's a great tool. Gerber was foolish to let it fade into oblivion.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 03:16:03 PM
I've been carrying my red Octane quite a lot lately. It's my second one - I love them. It got some significant use today.. It's a great tool. Gerber was foolish to let it fade into oblivion.
Yes, I'm digging mine the more I carry it.  It's a good minimal MT while still providing the one hand deployment of the two primary tools :tu:

K-Tibbs

us Offline Bensasupertool

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 12:19:27 AM
Im sold Kyle. It has been close to a year with no new or used MT purchased. Offset pliers on that tool are a draw for me. Nothing in the collection has that feature. With the weather finally turning around, its chore time on the property. A new MT would be refreshing to tinker about with.
CHECK YOUR SMOKE DETECTOR BATTERIES!  Everyone Needs a Halligan Tool.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 02:26:14 AM
Im sold Kyle. It has been close to a year with no new or used MT purchased. Offset pliers on that tool are a draw for me. Nothing in the collection has that feature. With the weather finally turning around, its chore time on the property. A new MT would be refreshing to tinker about with.
Cool buddy :tu:  Those pliers are pretty handy at an angle.  I thought it seemed odd at first, but just fiddling around with it, I can tell it will prove useful at times.  Plus the Octane scores points for fiddle factor too ;)

K-Tibbs

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 02:34:36 AM
Cool buddy :tu:  Those pliers are pretty handy at an angle.  I thought it seemed odd at first, but just fiddling around with it, I can tell it will prove useful at times.  Plus the Octane scores points for fiddle factor too ;)

:ahhh ++ Points for a bit of a rareity now. I havent realized the Octane has been discontinued. I figured Id be slick Rick and grab one off amazon.  :facepalm: Nope! Thats ok. It adds to the allure of the hunt.

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 02:58:19 AM

:ahhh ++ Points for a bit of a rareity now. I havent realized the Octane has been discontinued. I figured Id be slick Rick and grab one off amazon.  :facepalm: Nope! Thats ok. It adds to the allure of the hunt.

You could try here http://www.themultitoolstore.com/gerber-multitools/octane 
BUCK: X-Tract, 360
GERBER: Clutch, Shortcut, Dime*, DimE*, Octane & Crucial FAST
MP600 NN, CentreDrive, Grappler
Diesel*, Nickle*, Bullrush, MP600 BN, Flik & MP600DET* all in BO
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
Crunch, MTO Style CS, Sideclip, BO Kick*
SOG: PowerAccess, Blacktip*, HD PPP
VICTORINOX: SwissTool Std, X(CS), & RS all with red logo, Spirit XBS
*=mod

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 03:10:45 AM

Oh yeah, I knew it was discontinued, but I grabbed one on Amazon....maybe the only one :think:

K-Tibbs

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 03:19:39 AM

You could try here http://www.themultitoolstore.com/gerber-multitools/octane

The new guy around here thanks you.

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Reply #14 on: April 08, 2017, 03:28:55 AM

Oh yeah, I knew it was discontinued, but I grabbed one on Amazon....maybe the only one :think:

Its available but a tad steep on the price tag for being discontinued. Sorta odd to me its not more available on the ebays new and used. I dont know how long its been out of production but damn.  Decent used PST's are an eaiser find.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #15 on: April 08, 2017, 03:57:50 AM

Its available but a tad steep on the price tag for being discontinued. Sorta odd to me its not more available on the ebays new and used. I dont know how long its been out of production but damn.  Decent used PST's are an eaiser find.
The one I got was $50 on Amazon, but I guess it was the only one.  Even that seems a bit much for what you get, but being discontinued, I jumped on it.  I hope you can track one down man.

K-Tibbs

us Offline ChrisEDC247

Reply #16 on: April 08, 2017, 03:59:55 AM

I saw that one and nearly picked it up! Then I saw it was gone... so I ended up getting it another place for nearly the same. This one has always been on the short list for me just because it looks so cool. It doesn't have scissors so I doubt I'd carry it much but I figured it would keep my unused Skeletool company in the drawer.
 :angel:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 04:07:10 AM by ChrisEDC247 »

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #17 on: April 08, 2017, 04:04:04 AM

I saw that one and nearly picked it up! Then I saw it was gone... so I ended up getting it another place for nearly the same. This one has always been on the short list for me just because it looks so cool. It doesn't have scissors so I doubt I'd carry it much but I figured it would keep my unused Skeletool company.
 :angel:
Ha, glad you were slow on the draw there ;)  Also glad you still got one :tu:

K-Tibbs

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Reply #18 on: April 08, 2017, 04:04:50 AM
Gerber 30-000441 Octane Multi Plier, Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0034JJYEM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Cte6ybX2VX51K

You boys lucked out. 80 bucks is nuts. Thanks for the info guys.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 04:06:32 AM by Bensasupertool »

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #19 on: April 08, 2017, 04:18:11 AM
:cheers:
Good luck Ben :tu:

K-Tibbs

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Reply #20 on: April 08, 2017, 04:29:42 AM

Yeah man. Thanks for peaking my interest again.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #21 on: April 08, 2017, 04:31:05 AM

That's what we do here ;)

K-Tibbs

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Reply #22 on: April 08, 2017, 04:41:20 AM

That's what we do here ;)

I couldnt forget that if I tried.  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%