Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Modified REKAT Sifu

Offline bquinlan

Modified REKAT Sifu
on: March 14, 2017, 04:55:16 AM

As far as I know the REKAT Sifu was the first megafolder (5-1/2" blade). I loved the design and bought two of them back when they were new. I got a first edition because I prefer non-black scales. Later I picked up a limited edition that upgraded the original ATS-34 blade to D2 coated with Black T.

Since then I have experimented with a lot of different knives, including most of the megafolders that have been made. Recently I started thinking about the Sifu again. It has what is probably my favorite blade shape of all time: a pronounced recurve with plenty of belly ahead of it and a clip-point out front. The grip is odd, but versatile, comfortable, and absolutely secure. Even the lock is great (although there were some manufacturing problems with that).

I just had two issues with the Sifu. To open it you have to draw it tail-first and then shift your hand position all the way up that long grip to the top so you can get at the thumb stud. And I strongly prefer the D2 blade but the green-scaled frame.

It finally occurred to me that I could swap the blades to solve my second issue. Taking it apart made me nervous, since I had never actually seen the internals of the lock, but it turned out not to be too hard to do.

A second bit of inspiration hit me when I realized that the kydex "wave" people sometimes put on Spydercos by screwing it through the opening hole would work even better on the Sifu. The dual thumb studs are perfect for securing it in place with no screw required. The thing looks like it belongs there and it works perfectly.

So after years of neglect I am once again carrying a Sifu as my EDC.

--Bob Q

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Modified REKAT Sifu
Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 05:00:07 AM
Looks mean!   :like:   Nice problem solving.   :tu:   :tu:

Offline bquinlan

Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 06:00:39 AM
Looks mean!   :like:   Nice problem solving.   :tu:   :tu:

Thank you!

I wish it looked a bit less mean, but it really is a great utility blade.  Not that it would be bad for self defense either...   :angel:

--Bob Q

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 06:06:19 AM
I wondered when I wrote that if I should use a different word.   :D   Let me try that again.   ;)

What a good looking knife!!   :dd:   Very cool.   :tu:   Could we please get some more pics.   :gimme:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 04:29:49 PM
That is just AWESOME: I want more pics of it!!!!   :salute:

If only I could easily get one of those kydex implement, I could finally get rid of my Zip Tie mods...  :tu:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Offline bquinlan

Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 03:43:36 AM
Thank you both!  I will try to get some more pictures taken and posted.

If only I could easily get one of those kydex implement, I could finally get rid of my Zip Tie mods...  :tu:

They actually aren't difficult to make.  Kydex is fairly easy to cut and only requires heat to shape.  I use a heat gun these days, but I used to just put it into my toaster oven for 30 seconds.  Given a small piece of kydex it would take you less than ten minutes to create one of these.  You cut out the doubled shape, drill holes for the thumb studs, heat, then bend it across the blade and fit the holes over the thumb studs.  If you're fitting it to a Spyderco you can wait and drill both holes at once after the rest is done.

--Bob Q

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD