Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I need an axe!

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
I need an axe!
on: March 14, 2017, 09:31:40 PM
I enjoy camping, roughing it, and all things outdoor, but have no axe! I have never even owned a really good axe or hatchet. I have always used a large fixed blade knife for those tasks, but I think its time. The problem is, i don't know anything about axes, I don't know what brands are nice, what to stay away from, and what is a good deal/price range. (I do know that I don't want to spend loads and loads of cash though) I'm looking for more of a camp axe that could possibly be carried sticking out of a bag if needed, but have also considered getting a hatchet for my belt. I will probably pair it with a fixed blade, but one that does not necessarily have to be geared towards chopping. That way I will be able to save the edge of my knife for other things. Thanks in advance for any input!

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Re: I need an axe!
Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 09:35:34 PM
I enjoy camping, roughing it, and all things outdoor, but have no axe! I have never even owned a really good axe or hatchet. I have always used a large fixed blade knife for those tasks, but I think its time. The problem is, i don't know anything about axes, I don't know what brands are nice, what to stay away from, and what is a good deal/price range. (I do know that I don't want to spend loads and loads of cash though) I'm looking for more of a camp axe that could possibly be carried sticking out of a bag if needed, but have also considered getting a hatchet for my belt. I will probably pair it with a fixed blade, but one that does not necessarily have to be geared towards chopping. That way I will be able to save the edge of my knife for other things. Thanks in advance for any input!

Sparky is your man, I would go for a restoration project with your needs  :tu:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 10:35:42 PM
I suppose it depends on what you think is "loads of cash", but I'm assuming you're not ready to buy a top of the line Swedish number.  I personally think Gerber/Fiskars axes are goppingly ugly but there's little doubt that they do actually work for a lot of people and I've been tempted with one or two models myself.  Given where you are I'd be tempted to look at Council Tool axes.  I've not tried one myself, but I hear they have a pretty good reputation without blowing the budget.  For a general purpose camp/hiking axe I like keep the total weight to 2 1/2lb or less (something like a 2lb head).  That's a lot less than some would say but if you might be carrying it around for hours or even days at a time that weight eventually starts to tell. 

One that's just come to mind that seems great value for money is the Husqvarna Carpenters Axe.  I have had one of their other axes before and was impressed with the quality for the money.  Looking at the  head I don't think the carpenter's axe will be the best splitting axe on the planet, but should be good for other tasks.  A little heavier than I might choose, but not silly either.  Short enough to fit in a pack as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-8eDzM7SrU
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 12:05:09 AM

I would look at yard sales for something that needs a little work,
Or as Gareth says Council has a good rep over there  :tu:

Everything’s adjustable

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 12:55:53 AM
I have several axes  :cheers: some of them older axes that I got and did a restoration job on them and that is always great fun, a couple of hatchets I have had for many years that were given to me by couple different people :tu: and I also have 3 different sizes of the Husqvarna axes and they are my favs though :dd: I bought the carpenter's axe first and had it for over a year before I bought the other 2 ( a hatchet and small forest axe :tu: ) They seem a bit pricey compared to many of the cheaper brands over here but they are way cheaper than all the other Swedish counterparts from other brands :tu:

I think I have bought all my axes and hatchets except for the 2 hatchets given to me on Ebay :think: You can always find a good axe head reasonable if you look hard enough ;) I also found the Huskies as cheap as anywhere on the web on the bay of E as well :tu:

I got the hatchet for around $32 I think :think: That was including shipping from the UK :shrug: :D

Here is a link for 1 cheaper than what I got :o From the same seller in fact (I went and looked it up to check :tu: )

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUSQVARNA-HATCHET-HOBBY-AXE-LEATHER-CUTTING-PROTECTION-HU576-92-64-01-/201772130036?hash=item2efa8e5ef4:g:YicAAOSwHnFVrEEY

I received the axe in around a week and they seemed like great sellers :cheers:

Just a thought for you to look at :D

us Offline Wallace72

Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 04:31:35 AM
It seems lots of people are using the Italian made Prandi axes too. +1 on the husqvarna axes. If you don't mind putting a handle on an axe head, I recommend a kelly made or true temper flint edge.

https://www.a-prandi.it/ 

Oh and estwing hatchets can be found at nearly every home depot. Estwings are not as well designed as a husqvarna and may need to be reprofiled slightly with a file to work really well, but they have full steel construction opposed to a wood handle which may make it more practical for someone who is not into axes and does not want to maintain a wooden handle. 

http://www.estwing.com/ao_campers_axe.php
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 04:38:57 AM by Wallace72 »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 04:44:51 AM
Yes, Estwings are great :tu: I got caught up in my Swedish axes and forgot about my good ole Estwing hatchet :facepalm: I have had it longer than any of my axes or hatchets and used it quite a bit and after a good sharpening it is ready for more  :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 04:46:31 AM
Never heard of Prandis :think: Thanks for the link Wallace :like:

us Offline Wallace72

Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 05:50:05 AM

Just doing my duty sir.  :cheers:

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 10:53:44 AM
Thanks everyone for all the recomendations!!! I will check them all out in a few hours after my morning workout :tu:

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 02:26:20 PM
I have a question for Poncho, how do the carpenter's axe and hobby hatchet compare in chopping/wood processing? I'm guessing because of handle length and probably head weight the carpenter's axe has an advantage, but is it worth the higher price tag?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 04:06:13 PM
I have a question for Poncho, how do the carpenter's axe and hobby hatchet compare in chopping/wood processing? I'm guessing because of handle length and probably head weight the carpenter's axe has an advantage, but is it worth the higher price tag?

Not used the hatchet a whole lot yet myself but I have used the Carpenter's axe quite a bit :tu: It has just long enough handle to use with 2 hands or on the reverse it is short enough to be used one handed as well :cheers: I thought $70 might be a bit to high to pay but once I got it I have never been disappointed with it :like: I like the weight and shape of the carpenters axe better than the small forest axe as well :dd:

Put it shortly if I were only to buy one axe it would be the carpenter's axe :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 04:11:30 PM
Of note I haven't really done anything but cut down smaller trees with the carpenter's axe, I haven't had to split anything with it :whistle: The shape of the hatchet and the small forest axe are very similar and may chop better and split better than the carpenter's axe but I still like the wider and bit straighter edge of the carpenter's axe  :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 04:13:01 PM

Just doing my duty sir.  :cheers:

:salute: :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: March 15, 2017, 06:41:30 PM
The other brand I'd be looking at is Hults Bruk/Hultafors Agdor range, something like their Large Trekking Axe might suit your needs.  I forget sometimes that I own one as it's a small felling axe and I don't use it much.  Good quality and, again, not as pricy as some other Swedish brands.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #15 on: March 15, 2017, 07:10:08 PM
+1 on Hultafors and Husquarna axes.

However, if price is important, Fiskars axes are great performers. They arent pretty, but they work well, are affordable,  easy to sharpen and need little care.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 07:12:17 PM
+1 On Hultafors as well, no complaints from me  :tu:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: March 15, 2017, 09:14:49 PM
My Hults Bruk is old enough to precede the buyout by Hultafors so made some time before 1988, though I doubt it's much older than that. 

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: March 16, 2017, 04:11:46 AM
A lot of good options here. It may take me a wjile to decide!!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: March 16, 2017, 09:39:59 AM
I've got a few axes. They aren't anything flash and they all work well. Think I payed NZ$12 for this HB.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: March 16, 2017, 09:44:58 AM
Just found a few more not so old pics of it. Guess I never got around to starting that thread.   :facepalm:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: March 16, 2017, 09:45:26 AM

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: March 16, 2017, 09:46:02 AM

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: March 16, 2017, 09:46:20 AM
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 09:47:21 AM by zoidberg »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: March 16, 2017, 09:47:30 AM

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: March 16, 2017, 04:22:44 PM
Ooh, snap. :D
DSC_0001.JPG
* DSC_0001.JPG (Filesize: 318.14 KB)
DSC_0003.JPG
* DSC_0003.JPG (Filesize: 299.14 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: March 17, 2017, 04:02:22 AM
Some nice pics there gents  :tu: :like: :like:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: March 17, 2017, 04:43:16 AM
Ooh, snap. :D

Awesome. SAKGuy has my ones twin. Somewhere around here I have a smaller version that needs a new handle.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%