Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Its Here!

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Its Here!
on: March 14, 2017, 11:24:38 PM
 :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Re: Its Here!
Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 12:08:13 AM
Beautiful thing isn't it? I've had mine since Monday and think it's quite a good tool. It's like a souped up powerplier, really love it.  Let us know what you think of yours.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 12:23:49 AM
So far I really like it! Not every aspect is an improvement over the Pocket PowerPlier, but all the important parts (locks, gear covers, pocket clip, fitment) are everything I wanted out of this tool. I'll have a full review up tommorow against my PocketPowerPlier

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 12:43:58 AM
I think the import tools that SOG is producing is getting better with each generation. The PowerDuo had lots of issues and by the time this tool and the PowerGrab come around I can see they have been working hard. I know you can manufacture imported products with the same quality as locally produced.  Yes I would prefer them to be USA made like other SOG tools but I'm very impressed. I'm still not sold on the eyeglass screwdriver in the tool but it's no different than the style leatherman uses. 

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 12:56:53 AM
I'm glad it arrived safe and sound!

I can't wait to hear what you think of it!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 01:18:42 AM
They look very nice 8) Can't wait to here your thoughts on it in the review as well :cheers: :like: :like:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 07:46:52 AM
So far I really like it! Not every aspect is an improvement over the Pocket PowerPlier, but all the important parts (locks, gear covers, pocket clip, fitment) are everything I wanted out of this tool. I'll have a full review up tommorow against my PocketPowerPlier

:popcorn:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 10:04:27 AM
 :popcorn:

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 08:08:20 PM
Well, as usual I have become delayed in my attempts to post a review. I should have something fun for you guys to read this afternoon though!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 08:20:06 PM
Looking forward to it!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 08:20:42 PM
Well, as usual I have become delayed in my attempts to post a review. I should have something fun for you guys to read this afternoon though!

:cheers:

Can't wait for it sLmed :like: :like:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 08:22:26 PM
Is it afternoon yet?   :pok:   :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 08:25:08 PM
It's after noon all across NA now.... not much after noon in some 0laces though.

Def

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 02:23:17 AM
Past noon for sure now :whistle: :D

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: March 18, 2017, 03:04:11 AM
Almost up.... :facepalm:

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 18, 2017, 03:10:17 AM
Initial Impressions:

I am very happy with this tool so far, having carried it daily since acquiring it. It is only slightly thicker than a Pocket PowerPlier, and otherwise is identical in dimensions. The pliers are just as "fine" as the ones on the Pocket PowerPlier, so much so that they make a decent pair of tweezers. Each handle actually consists of two separate pieces, but SOG was kind enough to fold over about 1/8" of a portion of the handle on the long tool side, making the pliers comfortable to use, which was a big complaint with the Pocket PowerPlier It is worth noting that a Rebar is more comfortable to use when bearing down on the pliers with all of my grip strength, but the PA's compound leverage pliers should negate this, as I will not need to bear down as hard to get the same amount of force.

The pocket clip is constructed similarly to the one on the Leatherman Sidekick, with the clip fixed by one pivot, and rotation limited by a pin that extends from the pocket clip into the body of the multi tool. SOG even provides an option for both left and right hand carry, by switching the pocket clip to the opposite handle on the tool. However, (and many will discount the tool for this flaw right here) the clips stock is a little thinner than it probably should be, and the pin that fixes the clip has already sheared off on my PowerAccess, allowing about 30 degrees of rotation Getting a replacement should be easy and free, but at the cost of waiting 2 weeks for shipping.

SOG seems to have learned some lessons about the integrated bit driver since the release of the Reactor, as the one on my PowerAccess is quite good. Since I haven't gotten around to doing a proper screwdriver test, I just stuck a 3" long Phillips bit, and tried my best to strip the PowerAccess's bit holder using another pair of pliers. I was mostly unsuccessful, and the bit holder held just fine unless I was all but slack handed while torquing on the bit. The magnet in the bit holder was also strong enough to hold this large bit in place when the PA was opened, but a good shake did knock the large bit loose. Normal sized hex bits can be held in place with just the magnet just fine, even with a good shake of the tool.

The locks are actually extremely good, and are the same familiar lockback style tabs that Leatherman has been using for years. But,since all the PA's tools are  utside opening, SOG opted to add an overhang on either side of the handles, which are very easy to manipulate with the pliers completely stowed, one handed,  with either hand. SOG also nailed tool retention with this lock. The tools on the blade handle came very loose from the factory, so much so that if the lock is released, the tools just flop about. But despite my hardest efforts, I could not shake any of the tools open unless I purposefully released the lock myself. Frankly, this rivals the tool retention and release of major pocketknife companies like Spyderco and Benchmade, and is nothing like I have seen on any other multitool, Leatherman, SOG, Gerber or otherwise.

Tool access is where we begin to see the PA fall short. Both long tools (blade and File) have nail-holes, rather than nail nicks, a decision I disagree with, especially since this tool doesn't have the same "moddability" that has been one of SOG's big selling points for so long. The can opener/small flathead and the fine flathead are also easily accessed by pulling on the heads of the drivers themselves, but the other tools are very difficult to get out, especially since SOG opted to place thin washers between every tool, which means the tools don't clump together reliably (which is normally a big plus to many users!). The only reliable method of opening the awl, bottle opener, large flathead and Phillips driver is to pinch together both outside tools, and open the entire handle at once. SOG does provide nail nicks on the spines of the PA's implements, but there is so little purchase on these nicks they are completely and utterly useless.

The tool implements are another area where the PowerAssist falls a bit flat. Those of you who have been paying attention will have noticed that this tool is basically the same thickness as the Pocket PowerPlier, and has washers between the tools (10 in the whole tool!). Whelp, SOG pulled that off by reducing the thickness of its tools, which overall is probably detrimental to the tool's overall performance. In fact, only the blade and fine driver are really benefited by this reduction in thickness.

As for the tools themselves, I will leave the function of each implement for later testing, and will for now just discuss their form. The blade is reminiscent of a Havalon removable skinning knife, as it is quite thin and short. It came out of the box not quite shaving sharp, but as it has no noticeable burrs, scores better than most new Gerber's and Leatherman's. The file appears to be SOG's usual abysmal offering, being too coarse for fingernails, but not aggressive enough for any actual filing. The fine driver is nice and long, and the reduced thinness doesn't affect function. The can opener/small flathead is similarly unaffected, and as a bonus, SOG actually made a can opener that works! (Hear that Kampfer?) The large flathead is well shaped, the bottle opener functions well, and the Phillips driver is long, and well formed. Overall positive, only testing and daily use will tell if the implements can hold up.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: March 18, 2017, 04:40:25 AM
Nice write up, thank you.   :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: March 18, 2017, 05:29:15 AM
Some good points in there sLmed :cheers: Thanks for taking the time to write this up :tu: :like: :like:

I wonder since it has a bit driver built into the end they wouldn't have done better by adding scissors or their v-cutter in the tool loadout :think:

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #18 on: March 18, 2017, 05:49:14 AM
Nice, now I want one.  :cheers:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: March 18, 2017, 02:19:13 PM
Some good points in there sLmed :cheers: Thanks for taking the time to write this up :tu: :like: :like:

I wonder since it has a bit driver built into the end they wouldn't have done better by adding scissors or their v-cutter in the tool loadout :think:

That is probably because not everyone is going to carry a set of bits with them.  Some tools, like the Power Grab come with the option of bits and a sheath designed to carry them, but the Power Assist doesn't even have a sheath.

Otherwise, I am in agreement with you- if a tool comes with a bit driver and a sheath capable of carrying bits, don't waste my time giving me on board screwdrivers too.

Def

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: March 18, 2017, 02:29:57 PM
Awesome analysis, thank you.

I wish it had a diamond file and wood saw :/ :wait:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #21 on: March 18, 2017, 06:56:40 PM
Great review :tu:  I have one on the way. 

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: March 20, 2017, 05:03:26 AM
Still haven't done much testing, other than a through testing of the bottle opener on a case of Shiner Bock (it works great, by the way  :drink:), and I suspect that as I am getting ready to have a pretty hellacious week, I don't think that will really change.

But, I did manage to do a can opener test! Normally I would have tested it against the previous SOG iteration of the tool, but SOG has historically made atrocious can openers, so i decided not to bother, and test against similar can openers in the Gerber MP600, and a '95 Victorinox Soldier. All cans cut were 5oz tuna cans, such as these:

As a benchmark, the venerable P-38 can opener:

The P-38 is compact, and very easy to use. I'm fairly certain mine is a knockoff, but it still cuts through cans quite easily and smoothly.

Next up, The SOG PowerAccess. here is how it did:

As you can see, the cut is much more ragged, but overall performed as well as needed. The opening action was hindered a bit by the long screwdriver portion at the tip, but overall the operation was smooth, and required little extra force.

Second, the ever popular Victorinox Can Opener, showcased today on a 1995 Victorinox Soldier

Victorinox is always the company to beat in the multi function tool industry, and other companies are lucky that Vic doesn't innovate more, because they would likely put Leatherman, SOG & Gerber out to pasture if they did. Their can opener is almost as good as the dedicated P-38 opener, and definitely beats the SOG. The screwdriver doesn't get in the way during can opening, and it cuts smoothly, consistently, and with no extra force needed.

Last, Gerber's push can opener, today on an  MP600 Pro Scout.

As you can see, this opener creates pretty jagged cuts, And I found myself having to force my way through the can on several occasions (as seen in the many uneven places around the lip of the can). Easily the worst opener of the bunch.

And finally, a comparison picture of each can opener near their respective "cut"

In summary, the SOG can opener performed adequately, although I wouldn't go out of my way to use it like some do with Victorinox can openers. However, it is a significant improvement over their past attempts, since the old opener couldn't open a can without totally mangling the top.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 05:07:32 AM by sLaughterMed »

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #23 on: March 20, 2017, 07:45:30 AM
Day 6: Can't opener.
Since UP³ does not have a can opener, I used the one on Paratool, no difference.
Again, it chewed up the can instead of opening it.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 07:47:03 AM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: March 20, 2017, 06:25:41 PM
Thanks for the benchmark Kampfer

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: April 06, 2017, 12:21:57 AM
Just a quick update:

PowerAccess is still performing well. The Phillips driver did a good job adjusting some loose wood screws, and the bottle opener continues to perform well. Pliers have been utilized multiple times to remove metal splinters from my hands, with good success.

Also, a clip replacement is on the way. I am hoping that my clip's breaking is just a fluke, but I suspect that due to the thinness of the sheet metal used, it will not be.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: April 06, 2017, 12:34:06 AM
I hope the clip isn't a weak point in this great seeming MT :-\ Thanks for the update :tu:

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #27 on: April 06, 2017, 01:11:22 AM
I carry my Poweraccess almost daily and it's a great EDC tool. I'm impressed by SOG's offerings this year and hope they continue to churn out good stuff. I like pairing my PA with a nice folder, makes good a good combo

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD