Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need help sorting out a Yeoman with Long Nail File build

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
I really like the Yeoman line and I like the Long Nail files. 
I believe I have the necessary SAKs to make this happen.  I haven't wanted to mess with any pristine knives, so I have purchased a few beaten up type knives that purposely have the correct tools in good condition that I want for the build.

My thoughts are:
Layer 1 (closest to the front of the knife) Scissors  ---on the back of this is the LNF
Layer 2 Old Grey Magnifier and longer in-line Phillips
Layer 3 Small Clip Point and Combo Tool --on the back corkscrew

Is that Layer 3 possible?  I notice I prefer the smaller blade more often.

This build needs 3 knives correct?  Compact/Explorer/Champion (it has the LNF).

Feel free to submit some ideas for a Yeoman/LNF build that you think would be ideal, I am still in the planning stages.

Thank you!  :cheers:
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Re: Need help sorting out a Yeoman with Long Nail File build
Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 03:53:45 PM
A Yeoman LNF is possible but not in the order you have UNLESS you use a LNF from post 1970 and mill out nail nick access slot in the front of the knife. Easier would be to use a LNF layer from pre-1970 and put the scissors in the middle. This put the nail nick on the LNF pointing towards the rear (blade) side of the knife and gives you access to it via the blade layer back spring, which sits lower in the frame of the knife. The mag layer sits flush so it won't give you nail nick access.

Sorry, this is hard to describe; I can post some pics later if you want.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 04:18:19 PM
:popcorn:

Can't wait to see what you come up with FB :tu: :like: :like:

Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 04:25:00 PM
Thanks JB, yes, any photos you can post would be helpful.
Hi Poncho, pass the popcorn.  :D

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 04:43:38 PM
So nail nicks on the LNF are your problem. For 91mm LNFs, there are two varieties: pre-1970 with the nick towards the rear and post-1970 with the nick towards the front. See here:

When putting the LNF into the knife you have to make sure that the layer adjacent to the LNF has space to get to the nail nick. This means the adjacent layer needs to have a recessed and not a flush back spring. You can see the difference here:

Look at the layer order of any 91mm LNF knife. Those with the pre-1970 LNF put the scissors next to the blade layer because they use the recessed backspring of the blade layer to provide nail nick access. When Victorinox changes to a front side nick in 1970, the LNF/scissors layer moves next to the opener layer because it now uses the recessed opener backspring to provide nail nick access.

So, for your Yeoman, if you put the LNF in the MIDDLE layer, you need to use a pre-1970 LNF so you can access it via the blade backspring recess. If you use a post-1970 LNF nail nick access will be blocked by the flush backspring of the mag layer.

If you put the LNF on the FRONT layer (closest to the front scale, furthest from the blade layer), you can't use the pre-1970 LNF because nail nick access will be blocked by the mag layer in the middle. You could use a post-1970 LNF with the nail nick to the front and mill out access via the front scales, like they did back in the 1940s with the original Golfer LNFs:

All-in-all, I'd suggest a layer order from front-rear of: Mag/phillips - Scissors/(pre-1970) LNF - blade/combo.

Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 05:12:26 PM
All-in-all, I'd suggest a layer order from front-rear of: Mag/phillips - Scissors/(pre-1970) LNF - blade/combo.

Thank you for the detailed information and visual guide as I now understand the issue at hand.
I do have both versions as seen in the photo below, though it is the post-1970 that I want to use as it is in worse shape.
I'll have to try and find a beater pre-1970 with a nice LNF.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 07:07:43 PM

Thank you for the detailed information and visual guide as I now understand the issue at hand.
I do have both versions as seen in the photo below, though it is the post-1970 that I want to use as it is in worse shape.
I'll have to try and find a beater pre-1970 with a nice LNF.

Sounds like an interesting project FB. I will be looking forward to seeing pictures once you finally get all the parts you need and have it assembled.  :like:

Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 09:02:57 PM
Thanks Vicman.  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%