Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The HOOK brings you back

us Offline Danjo

Re: The HOOK brings you back
Reply #30 on: March 17, 2017, 01:52:49 AM

Good point!  I've noticed the "don't know/don't care/don't use" thing a lot videos.  I've been considering making a video or 9... 

👍
"There always seems to be a way to fix things." - MacGyver

ph Offline carboncopy101

Reply #31 on: March 17, 2017, 04:46:47 AM
I use the hook to pull open the zippers of my backpack. When i ride the train or in public im pretty sure that no one would bother trying to open my pack sneakily.

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #32 on: March 17, 2017, 01:38:07 PM
I started this poll once, out of curiosity. http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,58265.msg1056172.html#msg1056172

The hook got a considerable dislike percentage.  :-\

Personally, I like the hook.
Show content
And the fish scaler. Combo tool, not so much.

I've seen the pool and read the topic, still can't understand from the reason's given to why people dislike the hook and like it to be gone.
Let's consider: Even if one hardly uses the hook, or see's much use for it at all, why the hell would it be better if it wasn't there when the hook takes up absolutely no extra space, and practically adds almost no extra weight and can be useful for something, eventually?

It makes no sense to me, being  there is better than not being there as far as function and usefulness goes.

Now if one argues that he prefers not having the hook there for an aesthetics's purpose (with just the plain spring on the back), that i can understand as a reason, for example...
Or if they invented another tool to go with the scissor's on that spring instead of the hook that one might find more usefull, that i can also understand as a reason...

Yes, I can't understand the hate either. Two things I can think of is that, since 1991 if I remember correctly, the hook is paired with the scissors on every 91mm model so you can't choose not to have it, and that on some models the hook can be hard to deploy due to it's proximity to the keyring. Still, I agree with you; it doesn't really take up space nor does it add that much weight so why would some people not have it there is beyond me.

Aesthetics, OK, I can accept that, but most springs on 91mm SAKs aren't flush anyway. As for a most useful implement for that slot... :think:

???
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

Offline Mattexian

Reply #33 on: March 19, 2017, 06:05:41 PM
I think the folks who make a fuss about the hook being useless, just haven't lucked upon a situation where it would be helpful. 

I work as a stocker, and sometimes that means putting something together that a harried factory worker didn't complete.  I had a piñata that the string had come untied and slipped out of the holes where it hangs from.  I threaded that cord back into the hole, but needed a way to pull it thru the second hole-- enter the SAK hook!  It slipped in, snagged the cord, pulled it out, and I could tie off the cord securely and put the piñata on the shelf.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

R

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #34 on: March 20, 2017, 07:51:35 AM
the day i see someone walk into the post office with a stack of brown paper wrapped parcels and string being toted by a vic hook is the day when I give all my saks away, what year is this 1948? In fact if that has ever been done by a living human being I would be shocked

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: March 20, 2017, 09:30:50 AM
the day i see someone walk into the post office with a stack of brown paper wrapped parcels and string being toted by a vic hook is the day when I give all my saks away, what year is this 1948? In fact if that has ever been done by a living human being I would be shocked

??? ??? ??? Ookkk....
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #36 on: March 20, 2017, 09:40:34 AM

??? ??? ??? Ookkk....
:cough cough: The hook was introduced n 1991 :cough cough:

ITS NOT FOR CARRYING PARCELS.  :D
Its a hook shaped piece of metal that can save your bacon(or cook it easier) in lots of situations,
and why would anyone want no tool rather than a hook?
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #37 on: March 20, 2017, 10:17:00 AM
:cough cough: The hook was introduced n 1991 :cough cough:

ITS NOT FOR CARRYING PARCELS.  :D

Really?! I never looked it up but I assumed the hook was around for a  long time. I recall the instruction booklet on my first Handyman having a picture of a hook carrying a parcel. Sadly I don't have that box and booklet any more, so I can't check.

EDIT:
Not to prove anything to anyone but to myself I'm not crazy  ;)
On this image you can see on example 14 that the hook is marketed as parcel carrier.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 11:51:40 AM by Mactire404 »
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: March 20, 2017, 10:48:35 AM
EDIT:
Not to probe anything to anyone but to myself I'm not crazy  ;)
On this image you can see on example 14 that the hook is marketed as parcel carrier.

(Image removed from quote.)

Well... I wouldn't call it exactly "marketed" as a parcel carrier. That's just one example of what you can use the hook for, same as the pic pulling the bicycle chain, same as pulling tent spikes, same as pulling the tab on a can...

As far as i remember the hook was never actually labeled as a "parcel carrier" , it was always labeled as "the multi purpose hook".

I think people always tend  associate the hook with the parcel carrier thing probably because that's what cause the original idea that made Vic put the hook on Sak's in the early 90's, because they had to wrap up postal parcels with string in Switzerland, and a hook on a sak would be handy to help carry them.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 11:05:44 AM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #39 on: March 20, 2017, 11:10:54 AM
And to be accurate, the hook has several examples of use(14a, 14b, 14c), of which only one is carrying parcels.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

Offline Mattexian

Reply #40 on: March 20, 2017, 02:30:55 PM
One could also use it for carrying an overloaded plastic grocery sack, so it doesn't cut into your fingers. (Tho before I had a SAK with the hook, I just used the whole knife handle as  a support, to spread out the strain.)

R

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #41 on: March 20, 2017, 04:52:42 PM

Lmk which post office we can meet at!  I'll bring the string-bound packages hung by El Hook and you bring your SAKs!   :rofl:   :cheers:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 04:54:01 PM by El Corkscrew »
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #42 on: March 20, 2017, 04:57:35 PM
One could also use it for carrying an overloaded plastic grocery sack, so it doesn't cut into your fingers. (Tho before I had a SAK with the hook, I just used the whole knife handle as  a support, to spread out the strain.)

I hadn't thought about just using the whole darn thing! :cheers:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #43 on: March 20, 2017, 06:08:38 PM
There's a post somewhere with over 50 uses of the hook. I never used it myself though.

Maybe we should have a "Never used the hook Club"?
The "Never used an awl Club" was pretty succesful!

00 Offline WolfyW

Reply #44 on: March 20, 2017, 06:20:11 PM
There's a post somewhere with over 50 uses of the hook. I never used it myself though.

While I'm awaiting my first hook use, I had my first awl  use the first week I bought my first SAK. Bought a very cheap belt for my work pants and bought it a size small. Hole making 101 for me 😁
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 06:21:27 PM by WolfyW »
"The older I get, the better I was".

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #45 on: March 20, 2017, 06:27:48 PM

While I'm awaiting my first hook use, I had my first awl  use the first week I bought my first SAK. Bought a very cheap belt for my work pants and bought it a size small. Hole making 101 for me 😁
\

Heck yeah!  Works like a charm doesn't it?  Does an amazing job at putting a hole in pretty much anything.   :cheers:

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #46 on: March 20, 2017, 11:14:10 PM
...I think people always tend  associate the hook with the parcel carrier thing probably because that's what cause the original idea that made Vic put the hook on Sak's in the early 90's, because they had to wrap up postal parcels with string in Switzerland, and a hook on a sak would be handy to help carry them...

I guess that's how it hot stuck in my head. It's a shame I don't have the old instruction leaflet. I'm really curious right now. There doesn't happen to be a source for old Vic instruction leaflets right? That would be convenient. (I think I'm going to scan my manuals/leaflets. Might be handy for dating sometimes too, if you get a box that is).

My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #47 on: March 21, 2017, 05:34:27 AM

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #48 on: March 21, 2017, 05:55:49 AM
This dude's channel is full of great stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj4u9Pbj4gxDQJhc28uwceA

I'm sure he's a knight.... I wonder which of you it is  :think:

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #49 on: March 21, 2017, 06:17:02 AM
that video should be called "20 things you will never do with your sak"

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #50 on: March 21, 2017, 07:24:08 AM
that video should be called "20 things you will never do with your sak"

haha!!!  Yes!!!   I'm glad you watched it.   :cheers:

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #51 on: July 11, 2017, 01:53:03 AM

:cheers:

I'm sure everyone has already seen this historic piece of film:
https://youtu.be/cN231NO5ij0

I was thinking of that video as I read through the thread, glad someone had already posted it, otherwise I would have searched for it.  :tu:

One of the reason's I love having a SAk and "the hook" is for what you can come up with with some ingenuity. Like around the 22 minute mark where he retrieves his keys off the roof. How many times have you opened your car door, or retrieved your keys from pocket standing over a storm drain? Comforting to know that with a SAK and a shoelace or two you might be able to retrieve them!
I love the hook, the video just helps remind me of so many different ways it could come in handy. (future reference)

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #52 on: July 11, 2017, 02:07:59 AM
The hook is one of my favorite tools- I use it to test people's imaginations.

Last night, I used it to build a pair of 100' paracord crullers (like a paracord donut, only not a torus). I use it for a lot of different lashing projects and paracord work in general, actually. They get used for tightening lacing in my shoes and boots, in various packs, and one more than one occasion it has come out for snugging up corsets. (A man has friends with hobbies- if you're judging, you're really just jealous). And without it, the pen is much less useful.

But I do think the nailfile hook should be standard. Why only on the Compact? It is an amazing striker for strike anywhere matches along with fingernails
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #53 on: July 11, 2017, 03:20:00 AM
The hook is one of my favorite tools- I use it to test people's imaginations.

Last night, I used it to build a pair of 100' paracord crullers (like a paracord donut, only not a torus). I use it for a lot of different lashing projects and paracord work in general, actually. They get used for tightening lacing in my shoes and boots, in various packs, and one more than one occasion it has come out for snugging up corsets. (A man has friends with hobbies- if you're judging, you're really just jealous). And without it, the pen is much less useful.

But I do think the nailfile hook should be standard. Why only on the Compact? It is an amazing striker for strike anywhere matches along with fingernails

:like: :salute:

I agree about the file hook.  Other members have pointed out that the file hook comes on the Traveller and some variations of the SwissChamp. :cheers:

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: July 11, 2017, 04:49:52 AM
To this day my hook use is still only theoretical :think:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,54903.msg957500.html#msg957500

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: July 11, 2017, 09:59:44 AM
While I think the hook it's good to have on the Sak's who have it because it may eventually come in handy, I don't consider it an essencial tool really... As for looks I much prefer the "pre-hook" look, a three layer sak looks way cooler to me with the middle spring back flush, and without that bloody lump at the end.
I really hope if they ever bring back the small climber or salesman they don't have the sad idea to put a hook on the back of the scissors spring and just keep it like the original.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #56 on: July 11, 2017, 10:12:49 AM
If I'm sporting Plus scales and don't have the hook to hold the pin I'm all like  :td:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: July 11, 2017, 11:24:10 AM
If I'm sporting Plus scales and don't have the hook to hold the pin I'm all like  :td:

I understand that mate, but all 84/91 current scales have the pin hole (plus or standard), except the nylon ones i think...  :think: so no need for the hook for that...

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #58 on: July 11, 2017, 12:07:22 PM

I understand that mate, but all 84/91 current scales have the pin hole (plus or standard), except the nylon ones i think...  :think: so no need for the hook for that...

That might be a typo Mac.  :salute:
IMG_0754.JPG
* IMG_0754.JPG (Filesize: 224.55 KB)

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: July 11, 2017, 12:28:34 PM

That might be a typo Mac.  :salute:

Oh yeah... didn't thought of that one, meaning the Pen...  :oops: well there are some guys that store the Pin under the hook so i thought that's what EC meant...

Yes it does come in handy for that too, but again, for me i don't consider it essential (hook or pen/plus scales for that matter...). Come to think of it, i don't even have a single Sak with  Plus scales on it... :think:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%