Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The HOOK brings you back

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Re: The HOOK brings you back
Reply #60 on: July 11, 2017, 12:33:54 PM
If I'm sporting Plus scales and don't have the hook to hold the pin I'm all like  :td:

I understand that mate, but all 84/91 current scales have the pin hole (plus or standard), except the nylon ones i think...  :think: so no need for the hook for that...

That might be a typo Mac.  :salute:

Oh yeah... didn't thought of that one, meaning the Pen...  :oops: well there are some guys that store the Pin under the hook so i thought that's what EC meant...

Yes it does come in handy for that too, but again, for me i don't consider it essential (hook or pen/plus scales for that matter...). Come to think of it, i don't even have a single Sak with  Plus scales on it... :think:

For sure, the essential Climber for me is a Pioneer X, but nice to have the extras on board occasionally.  :tu:  :cheers:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #61 on: July 11, 2017, 12:34:41 PM
If I'm sporting Plus scales and don't have the hook to hold the pin I'm all like  :td:

I understand that mate, but all 84/91 current scales have the pin hole (plus or standard), except the nylon ones i think...  :think: so no need for the hook for that...

Oh yeah... didn't thought of that one, meaning the Pen...  :oops: well there are some guys that store the Pin under the hook so i thought that's what EC meant...

Yes it does come in handy for that too, but again, for me i don't consider it essential (hook or pen/plus scales for that matter...). Come to think of it, i don't even have a single Sak with  Plus scales on it... :think:

For sure, the essential Climber for me is a Pioneer X, but nice to have the extras on board occasionally.  :tu:  :cheers:
Does anyone else miss poor old Pioneer X? I miss the old dude.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline twiliter

Reply #62 on: July 11, 2017, 12:50:57 PM

Much like El Pikacthulhu, Unit 3 will never completely disappear from the map.  :D

Sadly, both are hookless (relating to the thread to avoid a major derailment)...  :ahhh
IMG_0758.JPG
* IMG_0758.JPG (Filesize: 166.24 KB)

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: July 11, 2017, 01:47:42 PM

Much like El Pikacthulhu, Unit 3 will never completely disappear from the map.  :D

Sadly, both are hookless (relating to the thread to avoid a major derailment)...  :ahhh

Well... even though i like the 93mm Alox line, for the main EDC Sak i'm still firmly on the Cellidor camp  :cheers:
These days specifically on the 84mm Cellidor camp...  :salute: It seams weird but when ever i pick up a 91mm these days it just feels huge to me...  :facepalm: for the pocket at least...
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #64 on: July 11, 2017, 02:10:30 PM
Did Macgyver ever edc an Alox model?

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #65 on: July 11, 2017, 02:39:03 PM

Nope. The only "non standard" model he had other than the classic red cellidor models was the hard wood spartan on "Serenity"  :cheers:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #66 on: July 11, 2017, 02:39:37 PM
 :salute:
Keepin' it Real!

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: July 11, 2017, 02:43:17 PM
Keepin' it Real!

Well, it had some influence i can't deny... :facepalm:
But my love for the red cellidor with the cross and shield logo came way before Macgyver...  :drink:

us Offline twiliter

Reply #68 on: July 11, 2017, 02:53:03 PM
They could have managed the whole series with a Huntsman, not sure why they didn't.  :think:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #69 on: July 11, 2017, 02:55:58 PM
They could have managed the whole series with a Huntsman, not sure why they didn't.  :think:
Same reason we could prolly manage our lives with just one SAK, but none of us (not even Monrogue) does.  :pok:  :D

us Offline twiliter

Reply #70 on: July 11, 2017, 03:06:35 PM
Same reason we could prolly manage our lives with just one SAK, but none of us (not even Monrogue) does.  :pok:  :D

Speaking of which, I did hear through the grapevine that Unit 1 is browsing travel brochures, and preparing for world travel.  :D

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #71 on: July 11, 2017, 03:12:21 PM

Speaking of which, I did hear through the grapevine that Unit 1 is browsing travel brochures, and preparing for world travel.  :D
The fabled 11th Anniversary Celebratory Global Passaround (or 11ACGP) eh? Can't wait. I must say, the passaround is prolly the only thing standing between Mo and Madam Guillotine currently.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #72 on: July 11, 2017, 03:14:28 PM

Well that's true, and he actually used a Huntsman in 2 or 3 Ep's  :D
But the idea for the character and the use of Sak's was always the minimalist aspect, his mind was the "real" Sak, while the actual Sak was just a tool he used to help achieve his goal. Not a guy using a load of gadget's... (like the current Macgyver reboot... :whistle:)

People tend to fantasize a lot about the Sak's used on the show, like there was some kind of master purpose for all the different ones, but there really wasn't  in general... Unless they actually needed a very specific tool (scissors or saw, or the orange peeler...  :whistle:), 90% of the time he just used the blades, opener's, awl, and philips/corkscrew.

He used a lot of different models because they bought a whole box of them for the show, and RDA sure destroyed a load of them as he already admitted (150 plus...), either on the actual shoot's or in his spare time, throwing them and sticking them everywhere...  :rofl: That's probably the main reason they wen't thru so many, and so many models  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 03:23:29 PM by MacGyver »

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #73 on: July 11, 2017, 05:24:09 PM

Dude, you gotta pay more attention when watching El Videos  :facepalm:  :D  :rofl:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #74 on: July 11, 2017, 05:25:17 PM

But the idea for the character and the use of Sak's was always the minimalist aspect, his mind was the "real" Sak, while the actual Sak was just a tool he used to help achieve his goal. Not a guy using a load of gadget's... (like the current Macgyver reboot... :whistle:)

People tend to fantasize a lot about the Sak's used on the show, like there was some kind of master purpose for all the different ones, but there really wasn't  in general... Unless they actually needed a very specific tool (scissors or saw, or the orange peeler...  :whistle:), 90% of the time he just used the blades, opener's, awl, and philips/corkscrew.

He used a lot of different models because they bought a whole box of them for the show, and RDA sure destroyed a load of them as he already admitted (150 plus...), either on the actual shoot's or in his spare time, throwing them and sticking them everywhere...  :rofl: That's probably the main reason they wen't thru so many, and so many models  :facepalm:

Just going back through season 1, pretty sure I noticed him going from 84mm to Executive in the same scene.  :D
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: July 11, 2017, 05:35:31 PM

Just going back through season 1, pretty sure I noticed him going from 84mm to Executive in the same scene.  :D

Oh yeah, i thinks it's the one called "Hellfire" where him and his friend are getting some dynamite to put out the fire on a oil drilling weal. He is using the small tinker blade so scrape the nitro from the bottom of the dynamite box in one shot (of his hands), and on the same but shot facing them and the dynamite box he has an Executive you can clearly see the ring on top of the main blade  :whistle: Clearly the shot's where filmed in two different days. The shot of his hand's and the Tinker it may not even be him (RDA) as he said in interviews his brother doubled him in some "hand" shot's because their hand's are very alike...  :rofl:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 05:36:37 PM by MacGyver »

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #76 on: July 11, 2017, 05:43:28 PM

Oh yeah, i thinks it's the one called "Hellfire" where him and his friend are getting some dynamite to put out the fire on a oil drilling weal. He is using the small tinker blade so scrape the nitro from the bottom of the dynamite box in one shot (of his hands), and on the same but shot facing them and the dynamite box he has an Executive you can clearly see the ring on top of the main blade  :whistle: Clearly the shot's where filmed in two different days. The shot of his hand's and the Tinker it may not even be him (RDA) as he said in interviews his brother doubled him in some "hand" shot's because their hand's are very alike...  :rofl:

EXACTLY  :cheers:

us Offline twiliter

Reply #77 on: July 11, 2017, 05:49:24 PM

Dude, you gotta pay more attention when watching El Videos  :facepalm:  :D  :rofl:

No kidding, there's this one episode that, hey look a squirrel!  :pommel:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #78 on: July 11, 2017, 05:50:05 PM

EXACTLY  :cheers:

Here are the two shot's (sorry for crap quality)
wp_ss_20170612_0009.jpg
* wp_ss_20170612_0009.jpg (Filesize: 63.74 KB)
wp_ss_20170612_0010.jpg
* wp_ss_20170612_0010.jpg (Filesize: 39.12 KB)

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #79 on: July 11, 2017, 05:56:41 PM
Seca demais indeed.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #80 on: July 11, 2017, 06:00:07 PM

us Offline twiliter

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #82 on: July 11, 2017, 06:23:42 PM
Cant say i have ever used the hook in anger, but i do like having it
If nothing else its great for hanging off the bucket of a rusty old excavator toy for a photo op  :tu:

Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: July 11, 2017, 06:27:16 PM
Cant say i have ever used the hook in anger, but i do like having it
If nothing else its great for hanging off the bucket of a rusty old excavator toy for a photo op  :tu:

(Image removed from quote.)

:like:

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #84 on: July 16, 2017, 11:07:46 PM
the day i see someone walk into the post office with a stack of brown paper wrapped parcels and string being toted by a vic hook is the day when I give all my saks away, what year is this 1948? In fact if that has ever been done by a living human being I would be shocked

??? ??? ??? Ookkk....
:cough cough: The hook was introduced n 1991 :cough cough:

ITS NOT FOR CARRYING PARCELS.  :D
Its a hook shaped piece of metal that can save your bacon(or cook it easier) in lots of situations,
and why would anyone want no tool rather than a hook?

So far, a hook hasn't saved the day or my bacon.

I purposely focused on buying pre-1990 SAKs (91mm) w/scissors that I could clean up, re-scale w/plus scales so I didn't have the hook. I only have a small handful of SAKs that have a hook...primarily in order to get the StayGlo scales.

As for no tool vs the hook, on my Golfers I get the Awl vs the hook...a worthwhile trade if you ask me.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

it Offline shadowrider

Reply #85 on: July 17, 2017, 03:57:59 AM
I never used it as such, but always thought that the hook would be great in case I dropped my keys on the ground and they landed into a catch basin.
I would open the hook all the way, tie a string to the knife ring and voilà!

I think it happened to Macgyver once, and he used the can opener instead... I don't think that would be very doable.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #86 on: July 17, 2017, 04:08:06 AM
Just in the past week at scout camp, I used my Climber's hook to haul a gallon of BBQ sauce in a bag a half mile, loosen a too tight end of a minimag light, undo a tent knot.....etc.  I've become a huge fan of the hook!! 
Barry

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #87 on: July 17, 2017, 04:12:46 AM
Just in the past week at scout camp, I used my Climber's hook to haul a gallon of BBQ sauce in a bag a half mile, loosen a too tight end of a minimag light, undo a tent knot.....etc.  I've become a huge fan of the hook!!

:like: :like: :like: :like:

I used it hold El Pen, pull out a hot oven rack, hold open a key ring, and open many a box.

True story.

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #88 on: July 17, 2017, 04:29:55 AM

Awesome   :tu:

It's seems like once you start using it and remember it's there you start finding all sorts of uses for it.

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #89 on: July 17, 2017, 04:31:39 AM

:like: :like: :like: :like:

I used it hold El Pen, pull out a hot oven rack, hold open a key ring, and open many a box.

True story.

Oh man, keeping a key ring open is a new one! Excellent idea El Corkscrew n :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%