Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The HOOK brings you back

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: The HOOK brings you back
Reply #90 on: July 17, 2017, 04:51:33 AM
 :like: :like: :like:  The biggest kick I got was the look on another scoutmasters face when he saw me toting that shopping bag!  He's a lifelong Spartan guy with the same early 90s Economy model he's had since new.
Barry

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #91 on: July 17, 2017, 09:55:33 AM

I  it happened to Macgyver once, and he used the can opener instead... I don't think that would be very doable.

Yup, it was on Cleo Rocks to defuse a trap door Murdoc had prepared for him and Pete. He used a standard Spartan on that one, no keyring and t&t. He used the cord from his jacket and wrapped it around the sak and through the corkscrew to keep it straight, but even so chances of actually working for real are very slim, the sak is too light and won't hold still enough to aim acuratly.
Hook is better for that, or fishing your keys from the drainage  :D

Oh man, keeping a key ring open is a new one! Excellent idea El Corkscrew n :tu:

Oh yeah, I use that one all the time too, but I use the can opener, works best to pry it open  :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 10:03:07 AM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #92 on: July 17, 2017, 10:54:05 AM

Oh yeah, I use that one all the time too, but I use the can opener, works best to pry it open  :cheers:

But what about that wasted lateral space?? Depends on the keyring your dealing with I guess.  :cheers:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #93 on: August 09, 2017, 05:11:51 AM
Sorry in advance to all of those who are "hooked" on this tool, but if the initial reason the hook was added was for parcel carrying, I don't know what to say.

I just watched part of that video that demonstrates 79 uses for this hook, and I have got to say, it plays like any stupid commercial television advertisement that wants to sell me something dumass like an automatic pants buttoner. The kind where they show a close up of someone half-assedly "trying" in vain to button their pants only to give up in mock frustration because buttoning pants must be beyond them.

Cue voiceover "tired of bottoning your Levi' s 501's only to fail like a 3-year old and get blisters on your thumb? Try the acme pants buttoner!"

So, in the video, the guy is trying to open a drawer whose handle is missing. He takes out his SAK and extends the hook, inserts the hook sideways, spins it, and pulls open the drawer. Hooray!. Dude...I would have opened the drawer below it, pulled out the handle-less drawer, an  then used the screwdriver to affix a proper handle. Problem solved-ved for next time.

Watching that video, I presume not a kitchen in the nation has oven mitts, pot holders, or even a towel. Or that the corkscrew is somehow useless as a device to twist wire. Or that we have to pretend that the same arm strength was not used to pull the rubber faster over the nub of the bike rack. I could go on.

According to what I saw of that video, I suppose that we would have to suspend all logic and horse-sense, just to reach and stretch to find uses for the hook.  Personally, I feel that most uses for the hook are invented, manufactured...the hook was pressed into service because it was there and we had to find SONETHING to do with it. Must uses can and have been done by using a different tool on the same SAK.

No offense to anyone who likes the hook. Meant comically, but it really is my view.

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #94 on: August 09, 2017, 05:24:14 AM
Sorry in advance to all of those who are "hooked" on this tool, but if the initial reason the hook was added was for parcel carrying, I don't know what to say.

I just watched part of that video that demonstrates 79 uses for this hook, and I have got to say, it plays like any stupid commercial television advertisement that wants to sell me something dumass like an automatic pants buttoner. The kind where they show a close up of someone half-assedly "trying" in vain to button their pants only to give up in mock frustration because buttoning pants must be beyond them.

Cue voiceover "tired of bottoning your Levi' s 501's only to fail like a 3-year old and get blisters on your thumb? Try the acme pants buttoner!"

So, in the video, the guy is trying to open a drawer whose handle is missing. He takes out his SAK and extends the hook, inserts the hook sideways, spins it, and pulls open the drawer. Hooray!. Dude...I would have opened the drawer below it, pulled out the handle-less drawer, an  then used the screwdriver to affix a proper handle. Problem solved-ved for next time.

Watching that video, I presume not a kitchen in the nation has oven mitts, pot holders, or even a towel. Or that the corkscrew is somehow useless as a device to twist wire. Or that we have to pretend that the same arm strength was not used to pull the rubber faster over the nub of the bike rack. I could go on.

According to what I saw of that video, I suppose that we would have to suspend all logic and horse-sense, just to reach and stretch to find uses for the hook.  Personally, I feel that most uses for the hook are invented, manufactured...the hook was pressed into service because it was there and we had to find SONETHING to do with it. Must uses can and have been done by using a different tool on the same SAK.

No offense to anyone who likes the hook. Meant comically, but it really is my view.

There's an Automatic Pants Buttoner?   :o

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #95 on: August 09, 2017, 05:36:53 AM
Just in the past week at scout camp, I used my Climber's hook to haul a gallon of BBQ sauce in a bag a half mile, loosen a too tight end of a minimag light, undo a tent knot.....etc.  I've become a huge fan of the hook!!

Awesome   :tu:

It's seems like once you start using it and remember it's there you start finding all sorts of uses for it.

Again...no disrespect to anyone who likes the hook, but for me, one shouldn't have to "find" uses for a tool on a Leatherman or a SAK. The individual tools should alteady have an overwhelming need to be there, as all the other ones do. Believe me, I will come up with my own host of odd ,creative and  improper uses all by my one-seys, but it ought to have been worth more to R & D than to just say "let's change the entire production line from this moment forth, and  put one of these hooks on a huge portion of our products. Someone will figure out SOMETHING  to do with it..."

I just think that anything I can do with that hook I can do with my bare hands, some common sense, or some other tool on the SAK.

The guys on Apollo 13 would have looked at it sideways and moved on to one of the other tools so they could do the real work at hand. I find it useless at worst, redundant at best.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #96 on: August 09, 2017, 05:39:10 AM

Ha ha ! Thank you Faddy, that gave me a belly and wheeze laugh!

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #97 on: August 09, 2017, 05:55:59 AM
Funny stuff :tu: :D

Link to the automatic pants buttoner please?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #98 on: August 09, 2017, 04:40:39 PM
I see what you're saying ThundahBeagle, and I understand, despite being a hook lover.  :cheers:

Question, what would you put in the place of the hook?

Don't say awl, fine screwdriver, etc, because Victorinox seems to like pairing tools. So the Awl goes on the Can/Bottle opener layer, the hook on the scissors layer, etc. And I don't see them changing that anytime soon.  :think:

Is the hook so bad that you would rather have no tool in that location, instead of the hook? We ran a poll a while back I think, and I got the impression that lots of people would rather have no tool on the scissors layer than have the hook, which I thought was kinda weird.  :think:  :rofl:
Because it takes up no space and doesn't compromise the integrity of the SAK.  :think:

Oh, and some trivia. The hook was introduced in 1991, so it came along a bit late for carrying parcels wrapped in brown paper and string.  :facepalm: :rofl:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #99 on: August 09, 2017, 04:52:18 PM

Only on the XAVT.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #100 on: August 09, 2017, 04:54:08 PM

Only on the XAVT.
And the Wenger Giant has several inside the TARDIS implement.  8)

All hail the hook!

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #101 on: August 09, 2017, 05:02:41 PM
You know what, I've changed my mind.  The hook is useless...
waynes-world-5.jpg
* waynes-world-5.jpg (Filesize: 75.45 KB)
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #102 on: August 09, 2017, 05:39:13 PM
Ya its only a use for the hook, IF you cant tackle the problem with any other standard SAK tool like an opener and blade.   I think its ideal for a parcel carrier and if I ever get a twine bound parcel Im set!  Most other uses I see could also be solved with the can opener or blade or a finger or tweezers or whatever.   

As for what else shoudl be there?  On a compact model the awl should be there.  On a standard model some type of bit driver or holder.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #103 on: August 09, 2017, 05:43:32 PM
Ya its only a use for the hook, IF you cant tackle the problem with any other standard SAK tool like an opener and blade.   I think its ideal for a parcel carrier and if I ever get a twine bound parcel Im set!  Most other uses I see could also be solved with the can opener or blade or a finger or tweezers or whatever.   

As for what else shoudl be there?  On a compact model the awl should be there.  On a standard model some type of bit driver or holder.

There is the obvious penholder.  Have you looked through the other pages of this thread?

the other obvious application is just picking up anything you don't want your skin to touch.  The rounded edges make it very ideal for stretching out guitar strings and spare my fingers from being pinched.

I do use it a lot for the toaster oven in the oven at work as there is not a potholder handy and it's faster to grab A knife out of my pocket, then it is to find something to protect my fingers.

It would be pretty useful for getting through a Barbed wire fence as well, I would imagine.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #104 on: August 09, 2017, 05:47:03 PM

There is the obvious penholder.  Have you looked through the other pages of this thread?

the other obvious application is just picking up anything you don't want your skin to touch.  The rounded edges make it very ideal for stretching out guitar strings and spare my fingers from being pinched.

I do use it a lot for the toaster oven in the oven at work as there is not a potholder handy and it's faster to grab A knife out of my pocket, then it is to find something to protect my fingers.

It would be pretty useful for getting through a Barbed wire fence as well, I would imagine.

Ah ya I have tried the penholder idea and that works.  But I can also hold it with my fingers fine.   I use the can opener as a puller type tool the same way people use the hook, and I find it more convenient to deploy.   I didnt watch that whole video but i suspect its a very many less that 79 things the hook can do that another tool cant. 

Ive had people pay me extra to use an old style spring just so they didnt have the hook there.  Some people loathe it! lol.  Im not that extreme it doesnt bother me to have it there, I just dont use it.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #105 on: August 09, 2017, 06:31:53 PM
Ive had people pay me extra to use an old style spring just so they didnt have the hook there. 
:rofl:
Do you still have dozen of hooks and matching springs in a box?

If I ever tear apart my bladeless Woodsman again, I'd change the scissors spring to the new style and add the hook. An added fish scaler is an option too.  :think:
But that would be months in the future, so nevermind that for now.

An idea, maybe you could arrange with Grant to sell a few extra tools and springs in the MTO store?  :think:
But theres probably obstacles preventing that, so, just a mad idea then.

All hail the hook!

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #106 on: August 09, 2017, 06:54:34 PM
I see what you're saying ThundahBeagle, and I understand, despite being a hook lover.  :cheers:

Is the hook so bad that you would rather have no tool in that location, instead of the hook? We ran a poll a while back I think, and I got the impression that lots of people would rather have no tool on the scissors layer than have the hook, which I thought was kinda weird.  :think:  :rofl:

While i don't hate the hook and find it useful for certain things, i don't think it's essential by far, so i wouldn't miss it much if it was not there.

As far as aesthetics go, i have to say i like the look of the plain scissors spring flush with the liners better, especially on 3 layers being on the middle layer. To me it just looks good, don't ask me why...  :facepalm:

I absolutely love the look of the small climber with that middle spring flush  :drool:

P.S.: LeaF i borrowed your pic, i hope you don't mind  :cheers:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #107 on: August 09, 2017, 07:11:25 PM
Ive had people pay me extra to use an old style spring just so they didnt have the hook there. 
:rofl:
Do you still have dozen of hooks and matching springs in a box?

If I ever tear apart my bladeless Woodsman again, I'd change the scissors spring to the new style and add the hook. An added fish scaler is an option too.  :think:
But that would be months in the future, so nevermind that for now.

An idea, maybe you could arrange with Grant to sell a few extra tools and springs in the MTO store?  :think:
But theres probably obstacles preventing that, so, just a mad idea then.

When I used to add scissors to alox mods I bought hundreds of climbers just to take the scissors from so I still have all those backsprings and hooks in a box doing nothing.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #108 on: August 09, 2017, 07:50:05 PM
disregard this post
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 07:53:07 PM by VICMAN »

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #109 on: August 09, 2017, 07:55:24 PM
I don't have a hook yet or a saw on a SAK,  really want one now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #110 on: August 09, 2017, 07:57:02 PM
I don't have a hook yet or a saw on a SAK,  really want one now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Get a SAK with a hook, and a SAK with a Saw.  :tu:
Or better yet, get one with both!  :D

Even if it turns out that you don't like the hook, the saw will be useful for outdoors. :tu:

All hail the hook!

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #111 on: August 09, 2017, 07:58:30 PM

When I used to add scissors to alox mods I bought hundreds of climbers just to take the scissors from so I still have all those backsprings and hooks in a box doing nothing.

Wow Robert, I'd be careful there. The last thing we'd want is for all those hooks to start reproducing...this world doesn't need more SAK Hooks!   :drink:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #112 on: August 09, 2017, 08:00:19 PM

Don't say awl, fine screwdriver, etc, because Victorinox seems to like pairing tools. So the Awl goes on the Can/Bottle opener layer, the hook on the scissors layer, etc. And I don't see them changing that anytime soon.  :think:

Because it takes up no space and doesn't compromise the integrity of the SAK.  :think:

Oh, and some trivia. The hook was introduced in 1991, so it came along a bit late for carrying parcels wrapped in brown paper and string.  :facepalm: :rofl:

Hi Pablo,

I would rather it had been left well enough alone. No tool necessary there. Just nice clean flat back spring.

Yes, the hook was introduced in 1991 as a parcel carrier. That is what is insane about it. When in 1991 did anyone think that then, or in the future,packages would be bound in twine, and that it was mission critical that SAK s assist in carrying them.

The hook may not take up much space, but it does bulge out a bit - more than the awl or Philips- and ruins the  lines of the tool. But my biggest gripe is...how did a corporate committee decide that humanity could not do without a tool that has no specific purpose. And they would have had to vote that in, design it, cost it out and alter the production process to do add it. That takes a lot of time effort and expense to add a tool that has no specific purpose assigned to it.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #113 on: August 09, 2017, 08:03:39 PM

Wow Robert, I'd be careful there. The last thing we'd want is for all those hooks to start reproducing...this world doesn't need more SAK Hooks!   :drink:
I think that it does need more hooks!  :drink: :D

I'd like to see a SAK with lots of hooks, in the same vein as this one.  :rofl:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,55385.msg970096.html#msg970096

All hail the hook!

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #114 on: August 09, 2017, 08:59:22 PM

I guess that would be a task for some idle hands with absolutely nothing better to do...right?

Or how about giving them to a school trying to raise money so the kids can make Christmas ornaments? Better yet, how about to a jewelry designer who can make dangly earrings to sell at Vx distributors? See, Pablo, there can be a use for hooks with no life.   :think:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #115 on: August 09, 2017, 09:23:23 PM
hqdefault.jpg
* hqdefault.jpg (Filesize: 33.96 KB)

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #116 on: August 09, 2017, 09:27:19 PM

LOL ok challenge accepted.  I'll make a SAK with as many hooks as I can. LOL

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #117 on: August 09, 2017, 09:34:53 PM

As far as aesthetics go, i have to say i like the look of the plain scissors spring flush with the liners better, especially on 3 layers being on the middle layer. To me it just looks good, don't ask me why...  :facepalm:

I absolutely love the look of the small climber with that middle spring flush  :drool:

(Image removed from quote.)

P.S.: LeaF i borrowed your pic, i hope you don't mind  :cheers:
I understand, I like symmetrical patterns, and the pattern that you get with no hook(like on old climber, or a camper) is nicer than the pattern with hook. :cheers:

Funny thing, using that argument, my bladeless Woodsman needs a hook to look nice and pretty. :rofl:

See where the Awl would normally go? That's where I put the scissor layer. And the only thing that fits there without modification is... The Hook. :D
I plan to put the hook there, sometime when I aquire one and I don't dread the thought of taking this mod apart for the 3rd time.  :)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #118 on: August 09, 2017, 09:36:23 PM

LOL ok challenge accepted.  I'll make a SAK with as many hooks as I can. LOL
Pics if you do it!   :rofl:

All hail the hook!

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #119 on: August 09, 2017, 10:34:10 PM
Did you expect this much hate when you welcomed criticism in the original post El C?  :facepalm:

Everyone without a hook badge needs to vacate the premises.  :SAKnight:

Or go sit on the naughty step for a while, or something.  :P
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 10:38:51 PM by twiliter »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31