Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAKmod first timer - Q's for my Cybertool

us Offline stuntmanmike

SAKmod first timer - Q's for my Cybertool
on: March 17, 2017, 03:30:48 AM
Hi folks!  Since I can never have enough toys, tools and hobbies, I figured I'd make my own config.  I got the bug after going down the EDC rabbit hole on instagram.  I recently got a classy black alox pioneer, but need more!  I scored a Cybertool 34 off ebay because it has my top two tools included - pliers and an inline phillips (even better because it's multi bit).  It was also only $45!  So here's what I want to make it perfect for me:

I want to remove is the cap lifter/can opener layer and maybe the scissors.  It has a small and large blade layer, but the large tip is broken and the small blade was abused, so those can go, but the backside corkscrew et al can stay. 
I want to add the combo tool 4-in-1 (can/bottle/stripper/flat driver) and a single blade (maybe an E-blade, I don't need a full size, but would like something sturdy).According to the SAKwiki it looks like I can use the combo tool from any 84mm or 91mm, any others?  If I put this in the same layer as the blade, what alignment issues should I be cautious of?  I notice the large blade tapers one way and the small blade has a spacer.

Regarding the Scales: I plan to upgrade the them, but I would like to retain the "plus" (toothpick, tweezers, pen and pin) options I have currently.  I only see really attractive copper scales out there that have the "plus" features, but I would prefer the G10 material.  Anyone have a source for that?  I don't want to risk hacking up a new pair of $30 scales and not have it work out. 
Lastly, If ( big "if", I'm just thinking out loud) I want to make this ALOX, I shouldn't need the bookend spacers, right?  I know I would probably lose the corkscrew and pick/pin/pen/tweezers.  I would assemble with stainless pivots and screws (does that require drilling out the tools and spacers?). 

So, what say you.  See any obvious flaws or roadblocks in my plan?  What tips do you have?  What are some good sources for obtaining needed harware/materials?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 04:04:19 AM by stuntmanmike »

us Offline Simyo

Re: SAKmod first timer - Q's for my Cybertool
Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 04:04:33 AM
The same place that offers copperscales offers g10 mostly plus scales(no pin).

us Offline stuntmanmike

Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 04:34:53 AM
The same place that offers copperscales offers g10 mostly plus scales(no pin).

Swissbianco?  I'm not seeing it on the webstore or ebay.  I only see the celidor with the plus feature.  G10s have toothpick and tweezers, no pen and pin.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 04:42:26 AM by stuntmanmike »

us Offline Simyo

Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 02:14:46 AM
Well that's what I get for skimming over the g10 scales.  You sir are correct, kind of odd since they sell plus scales.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 05:13:27 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.   :cheers:

Your plan looks like it will work.
Stay with a 91mm combo tool for less hassle, add a spacer to the small blade.
Maybe move the pliers over to center the bit driver more.

I would recommend keeping your first mod simple, drilling and alox etc can wait till next week.   ;)   :)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 05:15:51 AM
Oh and tons of info over here. SAK modding guides, all in one place.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 05:18:49 AM

Actually to do that you'll need to cut a slot in the liner for the plier pivot, pretty easy to do though.

us Offline stuntmanmike

Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 05:14:35 PM

I would recommend keeping your first mod simple, drilling and alox etc can wait till next week.   ;)   :)

Thanks for the tips.  "I have been looking over the SAK modding guides, all in one place"  The mini farmer thread is great. 
It looks like a 91mm combo tool is much harder to find as opposed to a 84mm combo tool on a waiter or bantam.  Is there much difference in the pivot area?  Drilling and filing doesn't scare me.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 06:06:22 PM

Thanks for the tips.  "I have been looking over the SAK modding guides, all in one place"  The mini farmer thread is great. 
It looks like a 91mm combo tool is much harder to find as opposed to a 84mm combo tool on a waiter or bantam.  Is there much difference in the pivot area?  Drilling and filing doesn't scare me.
The Compact is a 91mm SAK with the combo tool. Its expensive for the amount of tools it has though...
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 08:48:26 AM

Not a lot of difference, it just sits a little lower.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%