Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Are 84mm Vic and 85mm Wenger corkscrews interchangable?

it Offline shadowrider

Hi folks, apologies if this has been discussed before.
This will be my first attempt at modding. I want to take the worn scales off an old 85mm Wenger I have, and make new ones out of deer stag.
I am going to drill the pins and put in new ones that go through the new scales as well. While I am at it, I am going to replace the backside Phillips with a corkcrew. This is where I need help.

I've got an old beeat up Tinker Small lying somewhere that has the old type 5-turn grooved corkscrew. I always liked it for some reason (and I don't think Wenger ever used grooved corkscrews).
Would putting a Vic corkscrew on a Wenger be possible? Is the size of the pin holes on the tool the same?
Thanks for any help!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Are 84mm Vic and 85mm Wenger corkscrews interchangable?
Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 03:37:14 AM
I don't really know all that much about SAK modding but I do know that Wengers are different than Vic :think: That part may be interchangeable but I am not sure ??? Good luck with the mod and I hope it goes smoothly for you :tu: Oh and take plenty of pics and let us know how it goes :D

it Offline shadowrider

Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 11:38:38 PM
Will do!
But I need to some advice about this issue before I start taking the thing apart!

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 11:52:47 PM
I don't know for sure regarding older Wenger knives but the new Delemont edition knives from Victorinox uses 2.5 mm pins everywhere while the Corkscrew pin for 84 mm & 91 mm should be 2.2 mm.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 07:22:55 PM
Sorry, I don't know either. :(

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if 84mm corkscrew fits on 91mm?  :)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 09:25:08 PM
I think I have done it a long time ago but just last weekend I worked on a old Wanger and all the pins were 2.5mm. You can easily drill out the Vic corkscrew. I have been drilling out combo tools for years it was a pain and burnt up a lot of drill bits until I started using DeWalt 2X Cobalt drill bits. The 2X stands last twice as long. They easily enlarge holes hard stainless steel almost like drilling holes in mild steel as long as drill at low speed. Now drilling a new hole is a different story the 2X bits will still work you have to stop and cool your work water to keep bit from burning up.

Mike
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 09:40:07 PM by Mike 56 »
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD