Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Squirt with wood saw?

wales Offline caninesapien

Squirt with wood saw?
on: March 17, 2017, 02:18:09 PM
Hi

Been considering a Gerber Dime for a bit but I'd ideally like a woodsaw on something of a similar size to a Dime or a LM Squirt. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Squirt with wood saw?
Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 02:23:47 PM
 :think: Not sure if they make.anything in that size range with a saw.  Don't really know that a saw that size would be able to cut muh either ??? You might end up with like 3 or 4 teeth on it and that's it :rofl:

Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 02:34:05 PM
 :rofl: That's a fair point! Maybe even any kind of serrated blade. Not looking for anything particularly large really, Perhaps it's just wishful thinking.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 02:36:57 PM
Serrated blade on the other hand  :think: You might find a MT with one of those and that would be far more useful :tu: but unfortunately I don't know of any myself off hand :think: :oops:

Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 02:42:57 PM
No problem - thanks for the comments! I'll keep looking! I don't like to carry my SAKs or other blades with me every day as I work in a university and I'm in and out of classrooms and such, but a small, keychain size MT with saw or serrated blade would be good for what I need (cutting dead branches clean, as opposed to snapping etc)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 02:50:20 PM
I can totally undestand that :cheers: as schools here are suppose to be blade free zones but something smaller like that wouldn't be under as bad of scrutiny  :tu:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 02:53:17 PM
I was just about to post a reply saying you needed a SAK then saw (saw geddit  ;)) your last post.

Still really sounds like a SAK job to me though - Is it really such a problem to carry a SAK??
Don't UK laws say you can carry a blade under 3 inches - ie a SAK!!

If it is a probo - How about a mod to a Huntsman or such like to take out the blade - Or even a Handyman mod then you get pliers too

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Squirt with wood saw?
Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 03:01:45 PM
As far as school carry goes, I think a SAK is just as safe as any other thing with a blade, although it would be smart to remove them completely (Just dont get any knife out under questionable circumstances or with people you dont know around) Everyone and their uncle knows what a Swiss army knife is and most don't see it as a weapon. I will refrain from commenting on those that do...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 03:09:26 PM by gdoolittle »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 03:32:52 PM
I too think that a saw that small would be useless. A nice serrated blade can be useful in that size, though, like the one on the Gerber Splice

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 04:27:20 PM
Aren't there some smaller SAK-s (as in smaller than 91mm) that come wit a saw?

Maybe something like: https://www.victorinox.com/global/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Medium-Pocket-Knives/My-First-Victorinox/p/0.2373.T2

I cant't imagine anyone would see that as a weapon...
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 04:30:48 PM
Aren't there some smaller SAK-s (as in smaller than 91mm) that come wit a saw?

Maybe something like: https://www.victorinox.com/global/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Medium-Pocket-Knives/My-First-Victorinox/p/0.2373.T2

I cant't imagine anyone would see that as a weapon...
Thats still much bigger than any saw you could fit on a squirt.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 04:32:51 PM by Pablo O'Brien »
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 04:36:20 PM
I agree, but this is probably the smallest saw that is in any way useful...  :D

Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 04:37:04 PM
Thanks for the replies all.

It's not so much the idea that people may see it as a weapon but due to the nature of my work I'm kind of in an our of restricted areas within the institution and I wouldn't want to empty my pockets with a LM or SAK or anything, IF there is something that can do the job as a keychain tool.

Hadn't thought of the MFV - thanks for that Lister.

Maybe I was misleading in my original post - I should have stated any keychain/smaller MT/SAK. I'll have a think about it.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 04:45:55 PM
There is another option If a saw is all you need. Wire saws, while I have nothing but utter contempt for them, they do saw, and are in no way weapon-y. Well, except maybe as a garrote.  :D

But they break easily if you don't use them properly, and even if you do they break easily. :D The trick is to not bend them while you saw with them, keep your hands as wide apart as you can.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 05:08:56 PM by lister »

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 05:22:09 PM
I have this one, a True Utility Mini Multi Tool (TU195), and while the saw is small it does cut well and overall I kind of like this tool. It's definitely bigger than a Squirt. Somewhere between a Squirt and a Juice.

Offline mtn

Reply #15 on: March 17, 2017, 05:57:59 PM
I have this one, a True Utility Mini Multi Tool (TU195), and while the saw is small it does cut well and overall I kind of like this tool. It's definitely bigger than a Squirt. Somewhere between a Squirt and a Juice.

(Image removed from quote.)

I've got this same one (Cabela's branded) and agree that this may be the best bet. Alternatively, there is this tool out there that is roughly the same size as a Micra that has a saw, but it is not very robust: http://www.berkley-fishing.com/berkley-tools-and-equipment-tools-berkley-fishingear/berkley-mini-fishing-tool/1285898.html

I have one and it is ok for very light work. I keep it in the office; the pliers are not strong at all. They're branded under a million different names. 

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 12:05:39 AM
The Coast Micro Toolbox had one, which worked pretty good.  I had one as a kid, and still do.  They're hard to find now--I bought mine around 10 years ago and they appear to have been discontinued long ago.   But, it was short and was really useless on most of the stuff that needed cut.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 12:07:55 AM by cody6268 »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 01:19:46 AM
The Coast Micro Toolbox had one, which worked pretty good.  I had one as a kid, and still do.  They're hard to find now--I bought mine around 10 years ago and they appear to have been discontinued long ago.   But, it was short and was really useless on most of the stuff that needed cut.

If all the implements were of any quality I can see that one being very useful cody :cheers: :cheers: :tu:

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #18 on: March 28, 2017, 03:42:12 PM
Sorry I'm a bit late on this thread, but I just wanted to say that if your favourite multitool doesn't have a saw, and you need one, then you can do worse than making something like this from plastic pipe and a bit of hacksaw blade:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-Two-Bladed-Pocket-Knife/
Kydex would be even better but plastic pipe is good enough.  I keep one in my bike toolkit.  A coarse hacksaw blade works fine on wood as well as metal or plastic. On mine I have the saw blade the other way round to the one in the instructable, i.e. in pull-saw orientation.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #19 on: March 28, 2017, 04:39:29 PM

Sorry I'm a bit late on this thread, but I just wanted to say that if your favourite multitool doesn't have a saw, and you need one, then you can do worse than making something like this from plastic pipe and a bit of hacksaw blade:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-Two-Bladed-Pocket-Knife/
Kydex would be even better but plastic pipe is good enough.  I keep one in my bike toolkit.  A coarse hacksaw blade works fine on wood as well as metal or plastic. On mine I have the saw blade the other way round to the one in the instructable, i.e. in pull-saw orientation.
Cool idea. One made with LM parts sounds great.  :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

fi Offline Padre

Reply #20 on: March 30, 2017, 10:03:31 AM
Check out Victorinox Walker. Its on 84mm frame and disappears in the pocket.
Cheap too and under production so easy to find.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: March 30, 2017, 02:15:02 PM
I like that one, now if only it came with scissors...  :climber:

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #22 on: March 31, 2017, 03:22:16 AM
A Squirt with one of these for a friend? http://www.derma-safe.com/product/utility-saw/
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: March 31, 2017, 09:55:46 AM
Did you ever try using those to cut a branch? They don't work all that well. In fact, when I was evaluating saws to add to my edc I tried a lot of them. Wire saws worked better for me than one of these, and I bought three with different teeth count. And sak mostly beat anything that wasn't bigger. Size does matter when it comes to certain tools...  :D

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #24 on: March 31, 2017, 10:59:58 AM
:think:  I didn't know you can do that with a wood saw.. Ah, well, whatever floats one's boat. :D

Show content
Sorry, I couldn't hold it any longer!

Show content
::)   

:rofl:

:angel:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00