Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Do you carry a supplemental Sak along with another knife?

Poll

Do you carry a Sak along with another brand knife?

Yes, its 58mm
7 (41.2%)
Yes, its 74 or 84mm
1 (5.9%)
Yes, its 91 or 93mm
3 (17.6%)
No I carry a SAK with my SAK(what sizes?)
4 (23.5%)
No, I only carry one SAK (what model?)
2 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

us Offline Enginears

I have been toying with the idea of trying a 58 mm to get a SD, opener, scissors to go along with my single blade and traditional knives. Whats your setup?

us Offline charlie fox

Re: Do you carry a supplemental Sak along with another knife?
Reply #1 on: April 17, 2024, 09:01:52 PM
Since I'm not able to vote multiple times, I'll just type it out; my usual daily carry consists of a "big knife" and a "tool knife". The "big knife" is for large jobs or something that needs to be cut in a hurry, so it's usually some flavor of 3-4" one hand deployable locking folder (currently a Kershaw Emerson CQC6K). My "tool knife" has increasingly become either a Classic SD (when wearing a suit), an Alox Cadet or Compact (if I feel I need scissors) or my Fieldmaster when camping. So my answer to the poll is "yes" :cheers:
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 17, 2024, 09:12:14 PM
    Same answer as the last several decades.  I put a 108mm GAK in my pocket.  Pretty much every day.  I don't carry another knife.  Why do I even own anything else?  That's a legit question.  I guess I just like to buy things. 
     Challenges have been an exception.  Even when I could just carry a 58mm alone, I made out okay.  I did keep an Opinel in my coat pocket while it was still cold here.  I used to carry a large stockman of some sort or other when I was still in school and shortly afterward.  I never carried two knives.  Still don't.
      Great poll.  Should be a lot of fun.  Best wishes.  G
 :D

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2024, 09:12:57 PM
Yep!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 17, 2024, 09:14:13 PM
I generally carry an Explorer Plus, along with a folding knife for quick deployment.  Something like this:

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 17, 2024, 09:15:40 PM
Yep!!

What knife are we looking at there, your Lordship?   :pok:

fi Offline Blunt Object

Reply #6 on: April 17, 2024, 09:19:04 PM
Classic or Mini Champ in keyring. Bantam or Cadet as pocket knife. All alox. Then a one hand opener locking single blade folder, medium or full size.
Spydies and Vics and Leathermans, Oh My!

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 17, 2024, 09:19:07 PM
What knife are we looking at there, your Lordship?   :pok:
Spyderco Autonomy 2 and a Pioneer X modded to just the opener layer and scissors.  The can opener modded to resemble the flat blade on a Technician.

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
  • The Spirit of Central Asia
Reply #8 on: April 17, 2024, 09:32:30 PM
Swiss Champ XLT with Minichamp Alox.

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #9 on: April 17, 2024, 09:38:13 PM
I have been toying with the idea of trying a 58 mm to get a SD, opener, scissors to go along with my single blade and traditional knives. Whats your setup?

I ALWAYS have my Stayglow, 58mm classic SD on my keyring .

I use the scissors a lot.

I also carry a Sportsman , Spartan or a recruit. by carrying the Classic SD I dont need scissors in my main SAK. That allows me to carry a thinner 2 layer SAK in my pocket . I have done this for YEARS
Carry a Victorinox SAK folks,  because you dont know what life is about to throw at you.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #10 on: April 17, 2024, 10:12:19 PM
For almost 12 years, my EDC has been an alox classic on the keys and a pioneer in the pocket. Every so often, if I think I'll be doing a task where the OHO would be helpful, I'll clip a benchmade mini-grip to the pocket.  Its been probably a year since I've even touched it, though.

Now, doing chores around the property, I'll often have a mora on the belt and maybe a hatchet, axe or bill hook (plus all manner of power tools) as the situation demands.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

Offline Anthony R

Reply #11 on: April 17, 2024, 10:57:25 PM
My literal “EDC” is the Rambler I keep on my car keys. This covers the necessary basics and frees me up to carry a variety of other stuff depending on the day…Leatherman, Spyderco, Cold Steel, bigger SAK, etc.

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #12 on: April 17, 2024, 11:14:08 PM
I've always got a MiniChamp on me to go with whatever else is in my pockets, usually a large Stockman knife.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline Enginears

Reply #13 on: April 17, 2024, 11:27:06 PM
Yep!!

(Image removed from quote.)

I like that bladeless to go along with a single blade, very useful and sleek.

Same answer as the last several decades.  I put a 108mm GAK in my pocket.  Pretty much every day.  I don't carry another knife.  Why do I even own anything else?  That's a legit question.  I guess I just like to buy things. 
     Challenges have been an exception.  Even when I could just carry a 58mm alone, I made out okay.  I did keep an Opinel in my coat pocket while it was still cold here.  I used to carry a large stockman of some sort or other when I was still in school and shortly afterward.  I never carried two knives.  Still don't.
      Great poll.  Should be a lot of fun.  Best wishes.  G
 :D
I love the simplicity of that G. Maybe someday I will settle on “the one” and just roll with it. As for now I am usually grabbing 1-3 knives and tools to have on me. With summer coming up though, I wont have the pocket space and will need to taper down. The last week I have been really liking carrying my Sowbelly stockman. It is heavier than my SAKs, so it has been a good mix up.

The 58 I am considering is a rambler, or getting a minichamp and scaling it down to something like crackout just posted in the mods sections.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #14 on: April 17, 2024, 11:53:51 PM
Minichamp with an Opinel or whatever knife or multitool I am carrying for the day.  If my keys are with me, so is the Minichamp  :D
Barry

se Offline Swede-nox

Yes,I do! I carry my Evo grip S18 in my belt and it's supplemented with my Climber in my right pocket, both are in separate pouches. Then, depending on which back-packor bag I bring along, thre will be a Swiss card, Swiss tool or another knife between 58 and 111 mm. There is anlways a Classic on my car key and a Swiss card in the car.

Skärmbild (2689).jpg
* Skärmbild (2689).jpg (Filesize: 150.9 KB)
"We take care of your knife"

Offline LeDe

Hello,

For me this is more what do I carry with my SAK. I ALWAYS have either a Rambler or a Rally ( oR even a Jetsetter when taking a plane).
Then most probably a medium sized SAK and/ or if the location allows a serrated Spyderco Salt of some sort.

Best,

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
I have a Rambler on my key ring.  I never use the knife blade or tweezers (I prefer sliver grippers), but I get regular use out of the scissors, nail file, small flat screwdriver/light pry tool, toothpick, small Phillips driver, and bottle opener.

I had an Alox Classic in that position for a while.  Size and weight were nice, but it was worth the extra weight and bulk of the Rambler to get the 58 mm combo tool and toothpick.

I very briefly tried an Alox Minichamp, but it was heavier on the key ring than I liked, and had a lot of tools that I didn’t really use.

I considered the Jetsetter, but would miss the nail file and small flat screwdriver.

I do recommend setting yourself up with a quick way to take the 58 mm off the key ring.  I don’t necessarily take it off every time I use it, but it’s nice to have the option, and also convenient to be able to go bladeless easily if needed.  Credit to Echotech for turning me on to these TEC Python clips; they are kind of expensive for what they are, but are small, lightweight, and good quality.

I also have an Alox Bantam in my wallet.  Mostly, it gives me a can opener and a larger backup blade.  And before I swapped the Classic out for the Rambler on my key ring, it was sometimes my only purpose-designed bottle opener.  This is probably overkill for most people, though, and not really critical for me to be frank.

In addition, I’m carrying 1-2 primary knives.  One OHO clipped to my pocket.  The second one is the wildcard; it could be a challenge knife, a larger SAK, a trad, a modern folder, whatever I feel like that day.

* IMG_2321.jpg (Filesize: 141.62 KB)

Offline MrToolJunkie

Usually a Spirit and a Pioneer X or Electrician or Serrated Spartan.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%