Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need modding help

us Offline NetsNJ

Need modding help
on: March 18, 2017, 10:44:53 PM
(Moderators, if this is in the wrong forum, please move.)

So I have a Victorinox s54 where the plastic ruler is clean snapped off broken off.  I'd like to have the three backsprings that support this tool removed for a slimmer knife.  So it would just be a matter of drilling out the pins, removing those backsprings, trimming the pins, putting the bushings back on, and peening the pins.  So no grinding or new parts necessary.  Unfortunately, I lack the tools or experience to do this successfully.  Would anyone here be willing to do the mod if I sent them the knife?  For what price? 

Thanks!

Example:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Need modding help
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 01:22:39 AM
I am not much help with this but I do hope you find someone to either help you do it step by step or can do this for you :salute: Perhaps contact Syph007 and he can either point you in the right direction or be able to do the labor part for you :tu: There are several other modders here as well and they might also be able to help you :cheers: :cheers:

Good luck with the endevour :tu:

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 02:24:02 AM
^ Thanks!

The knife in question

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 09:54:38 PM
If you  own a cordless drill, a couple clamps, a hammer and a ~8 ounce ball peen hammer (Tekton ones are $10 on Amazon) you can absolutely do this job yourself.Just gently pop the scales off with a small SAK blade, drill the pins out with a 3/32" drill bit (a 1/16" will work too, just have to drill deeper) until you can pop/pry the bushings off (pliers will work, just be careful with the lip of the bushing). Take out the layers preceding the springs, then the offending springs themselves. File down the pins until they are flat, then round the corners a bit and reassemble. If you have a lot of extra pin, snip it off with some dykes, and refile.You should have about 3/32" of pin left above the bushings. Next, use your clamps to clamp your hammer (not the ball peen) to a sturdy flat surface (I use our dining room table). This is your anvil. Hold the SAK in such a way that the pin you are going to peen rests directly on the hammer, with the unpeened pin facing upward. Using the ball part of the hammer (never the flat) use medium force to peen the pin (this will take a few minutes). Make sure to check the tightness of the pins every few swings, as it is easy to over-peen and make your SAK a nail biter. Once you've done all the pins, use pliers to twist a tool on each pin back and forth, to ensure you have seated the bushings fully. Repeat as necessary. Once you are done, put the scales back on, and you are finished!

Or, if you don't mind me taking forever to get around to it, I'll do it for you  :)
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%