Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Look out world, the Stealth Angel Survival Kit is on it's way!

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Look out world, the Stealth Angel Survival Kit is on it's way!
Reply #60 on: October 04, 2017, 08:40:41 PM
All too handy bottles of alcohol, credit cards and late night web surfing really don't mix.

IN this particular instance I decided to check out the Stealth Angel Survival Kit, which claims to have over 1000 uses.

https://www.stealthangelsurvival.com/products/compact-tactical-kit

I am more than a little skeptical about it, but I thought for $20 I would give it a shot to see just how bad it is.  I mean, I have the Fauxton (I bought I think 30 of them for $10), I have the idiotic "multitool card" and the whistle is the same whistle I got for my Nephew Survival Packs at Christmas, so I know first hand that most of it (if not all) is junk, but I was still curious.

I'll report back when it arrives, but in the meantime I thought you all might appreciate a laugh at it's "$69.99 Regular Price."

It's a $20 joke, but absolutely not a 70 joke....  :facepalm:

Def
I agree with you. I'm skeptical and don't hold much hope for an entire "survival" kit that costs $20.
One of the biggest proponents of the "survival tin" is John Wiseman. This kit doesn't contain or address the items he recommends. This kit looks like some stuff for cutting, writing, and navigating mostly. I don't expect much from this kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 08:42:26 PM by Tired_Yeti »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Look out world, the Stealth Angel Survival Kit is on it's way!
Reply #61 on: October 13, 2017, 01:12:43 AM
I you don't expect much from this kit, you will get exactly what you are expecting....  :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #62 on: October 13, 2017, 03:03:23 AM
(Image removed from quote.)

The kit starts off with a plastic box, with plastic hinge on one side and clips on the other three.  I can't imagine these hinges will hold for too many openings/closings, but with clips on three sides, it might still be useful after they break.  At least until the clips break off too.   :facepalm:

Open the box and you find the following:

1x Firestarter & one piece multitool
1x Whistle
1x Fauxton light
1x Tactical flashlight
1x Compass
1x Tactical pen
1x Multitool card

Where to start?

The Firestarter kciks off a good spark, but don't Tell Megan because I fired it off in the house and she tends to drown on such things.  It's hard to screw that one up, so power to them on that one.

The one piece multitool is phenomenally special in ways that I was not expecting.  It has a 1/4" driver and a cutout on the end, supposedly for use on the fire steel, but I have no idea how well that works as I used the Sync II on it instead.  You see, this small one piece tool is like none other- on one side it has a small ruler that goes from 0 to 50mm, and on the other it has a ruler that measures from 0 to 5km.

Yup, you read that right, 5 kilometers.  For those of you that don't know how big a kilometer is, it is roughly about three miles.  On  small tool that fits in your pocket or on your keys.  How does it do this?  Simple.... the 5km ruler is 1:100,000 scale, so all you need to do is measure something with it and multiply it by 100,000 and you have exactly the size you need.   :facepalm:

Just take a moment to absorb that a little.... take your time, I'll wait.......

Ready?

Ok, let's move on then.

Next up we have the whistle, which is exactly the same whistle that I got for my nephews for Christmas- they are functional but are also super cheap.  I think they cost me about $1 each.  Nothing special there, but it works.

Ditto for the Fauxton Light.  Like the billions of copies before it, and the billions of copies to come, it is cheap, bright and functional.  And cheap. 

Then there's the flashlight- it's a small LED tactical light with the impact bezel and a bright orange clicky tail cap and pocket clip.  Totally ninja approved, except that I have no idea whether it works or not since there was no battery included with it, and I am not sure what batteries it takes.  I am guessing it's CR123, but 'll have to dig some batteries out and check- since they also included no documentation to let you know what batteries it should take.

Then there's the compass.

See anything wrong?

I don't think I'd be wanting to trust my well being, or that of anyone I care about to this thing, since it seems to have varying opinions as to which way North is.  Maybe I'm just being old fashioned, in this modern day of gathering multiple viewpoints, but this is just not a quality I appreciate in a compass.  After all, between this compass' vague directions and the amazing distance measurements of the multitool, one could find themselves wishing they'd taken that left turn in Albuquerque.   :facepalm:

If you should find yourself in the wrong place as a result of these wonderful included navigational aids, you may want to write someone a nasty note-and this is where the Stealth Angel kit may come in handy. Not only can you use the tactical pen to write them a nasty note, you can also save on postage by using the glass breaker to deliver the note to their desk without needing a stamp.  But, being as cheap as it is, I would stick to thin glass with this thing as it is just as likely to shatter itself as the glass.

Last but not least (least would be quite an accomplishment with a kit like this) is the multitool card.

This one is well documented here on the forum in various places.

All in all I don't see this thing as being worth $10, let alone the $20 this particular idiot sunk into it.  Instead, get yourself a nice Otter Box and add in a few of your own items, such as, oh, I dunno, a compass that actually knows what direction is north?  You'll thank me for it if you ever need to use it....

Def

Can't believe I'm just now seeing this.  Greatest review ever!   :clap:

I actually laughed out loud and got a strange look from my wife while reading about the ruler.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #63 on: October 13, 2017, 04:04:25 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed it.  I still get emails from them trying to sell me on their latest crap.

Oh, and although the $20 I paid was a limited time offer on remaining stock, it appears the time, nor the stock was as limited as they would have you believe as they are still available.

I'd consider taking my time on this one if I were you... say 5-10 more years before checking back with them.... then waiting another 30-40 more years before placing the order.   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline TonySal

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Reply #64 on: October 23, 2017, 03:49:13 AM
Good stuff Grant.  :rant:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #65 on: October 23, 2017, 12:37:55 PM
Glad I could help.  Just wait till you see what knockoff POS I have sunk money into next....  :facepalm:

Def

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #66 on: December 20, 2017, 09:44:00 AM
I just got an email from the folks at Stealth Angel asking me to review this product for them.  The title of my review was "hahahahahaha" and the body of it consisted of a link to this thread.

:D

Def
Did you read some of the other reviews?

Quality
From the moment I removed it from the package, I noticed the quality. I wish I would have had access to your products while I was still on active duty, I would have been the envy of my flight crew. the pen..awesome...flashlight...awesome, and bright. the other items just as high a quality as the rest. I have many friends at the Riviera Bch VA. I do have one issue with your products.......I'm gonna go broke around Christmas.......Thanks!! Quality! AMS1 DA Kratz (ret) US NAVY
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #67 on: December 20, 2017, 09:45:24 AM
Also, I think they deleted your review or did you give them 4-5 stars?
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #68 on: December 20, 2017, 03:46:43 PM
They probably did delete my review....

That other one doesn't say much about the US Navy now does it?

Def

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #69 on: December 20, 2017, 07:39:55 PM
I've made a joke before that if you look on Amazon, any product with enough reviews will inevitably have 1-star reviews. I think, to date, one of the absolutely best rated products I've ever seen is the Morakniv Companion, but even it has some 1-star reviews.

Any product with over, say, 1000 reviews and not a single 1-star, that's BS.

A customer put a 1 star review on Amazon for the 'Innova Shark' disc golf disc... "lost it on first throw--went hard right into grout pile--down 6 foot hole disappeared". So... how does your crappy throwing make the PRODUCT bad?

We have a joke about amazon reviews amongst my friends. If you found gold selling for $1 per ounce, there would be a 1-star review that read 'This is too heavy'.

Cutting out the bad reviews on their products is crap, and makes them con artists, IMO.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #70 on: December 20, 2017, 09:31:02 PM
I agree...

Except of course that I think they were con artists long before they got to the review part.   :facepalm:

Def

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #71 on: January 02, 2018, 12:47:45 PM
I've made a joke before that if you look on Amazon, any product with enough reviews will inevitably have 1-star reviews. I think, to date, one of the absolutely best rated products I've ever seen is the Morakniv Companion, but even it has some 1-star reviews.

Any product with over, say, 1000 reviews and not a single 1-star, that's BS.

A customer put a 1 star review on Amazon for the 'Innova Shark' disc golf disc... "lost it on first throw--went hard right into grout pile--down 6 foot hole disappeared". So... how does your crappy throwing make the PRODUCT bad?

We have a joke about amazon reviews amongst my friends. If you found gold selling for $1 per ounce, there would be a 1-star review that read 'This is too heavy'.

Cutting out the bad reviews on their products is crap, and makes them con artists, IMO.

I was looking at an interesting friction folder on amazon, all the 1 & 2 star reviews were complaints that it didn't lock.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%