Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Permethrin.

Aloha · 12 · 1173

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Permethrin.
on: March 19, 2017, 08:38:30 PM
Picked up some to treat my hiking clothes as well as my friends sons camping gear. 
IMG_2548.JPG
* IMG_2548.JPG (Filesize: 219.13 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Swiss Guy

Re: Permethrin.
Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 12:24:30 AM
Good stuff. I make sure to spray my clothes and tent before camping every time. The first time I used this, we had the entire Northern California mosquito population descend on us. It was like walking through a sea of mosquitoes, there were so many of them.

When I got back home, I only had one mosquito bite--on my foot. That means i got it while I was in my tent, sleeping, because I don't wear my socks while sleeping and therefore, no permethrin to protect me.

After that, I got my dogs a permethrin-based flea medicine because I know how effective it is. Just don't go near any cats when you use the stuff because it is extremely toxic to them.
The right tool is the one you have on you

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 03:58:42 PM
I am not around any cats so I'm happy I wont be harming them.  Between this and my Thermacell I think I shall be good to go.  The heavy rains we've experienced has the mosquito populations ( or so it seems ) really taken off.  My yard has experienced a heavy presence of them.  I have deet however I tend to not want to use it unless absolutely necessary.  I've also been treating my skin to Lemon/Eucalyptus oil which so far I'm pleased with.

I believe I am covered with all that I have.  Mosquitos seem to really like me which is why I am not afraid to layer on the protection.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline docfossil

Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 12:09:11 AM
Treating clothing with permethrin is step one. Exposed skin should be treated with DEET 30-35% is generally sufficient or Picaridin (20%). If you are using sunscreen, put it on first and apply the insect repellant on top.

Once, after treating some clothing, I hung it under my deck to drip dry. For several weeks there were dead bugs every morning where the excessive liquid dripped and soaked the ground.
Vic Ranger and original Gerber Needle-nose Multitool = EDC
Formerly, Vic Huntsman x3
Semper Versitalis

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 06:35:03 AM
Good tip on the usage of Sun Screen and skin products.  I've been happy with Lemon Eucalyptus Oil so far.  I do have deet and will use it should the L/E Oil not work any longer.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline docfossil

Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 05:21:46 AM
Some folks prefer picaridin over DEET for the following reasons: it doesn't dissolve certain plastics and smells better. On the other hand DEET in some formulations lasts 12 hours while picaridin lasts about 8 hours. I've used both and find both quite effective.
Vic Ranger and original Gerber Needle-nose Multitool = EDC
Formerly, Vic Huntsman x3
Semper Versitalis

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 07:40:45 PM
I use a deet spray for me and my clothes, and a permethrin liquid for the Beagle. I sometimes augment that with - of all things - Avon Skin So Soft. All the archaeologists were using that back in the day.

Once in a while I will also boil some rosemary and let the water cool, then use that as a rinse for the dog. Tried the lemon part of Alohas mix, but haven't added the eucalyptus yet. I think I will go home from work and concoct some rosemary, lemon, eucalyptus

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 07:52:33 PM
Of course, with the Avon, be sure to wipe your hands VERY well with a towel after applying, or you will never get up a ladder or be able to keep  firm grip on the steering wheel...very slippery stuff

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 08:59:47 PM
Theres some great research on using other means to repel insects.  Like I mention I am not afraid to use DEET when I have to.  The permethrin is wonderful and I've not had any issues with my treated clothing.     
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 10:09:28 PM
I think most repellents in Europe are made with Icaridin (another name for Picaridin) so this sounds interesting
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 06:04:48 PM
I live in the hot, humid southern United States where trillions of insects  swarm the earth daily. So I do my own pesticide in and around my home. Permethrin is like magic!
VERY, VERY effective and safe for humans and other mammals (and except cats, as you know). I swear by the stuff.
For skin protection, I use DEET. Never used anything else. It doesn't taste all that great and it smells a little "campy", but it's very effective. Back in the day, Muskol used to sell little bottles of 100% DEET. I still have one that I use for dabbing my face (I don't like to spray my face; it makes me sneeze). I haven't been able to find 100% DEET anywhere in years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 06:00:05 AM
I believe I misspoke earlier. When my Beagle was younger, I used a monthly topical Permethrin treatment. For a year or two now it has actually been Cyphenothrin, plus all of the other above treatments. Works great. Any information on that stuff?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%