Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

looking hard at a Crunch

lurkee · 29 · 1790

Offline lurkee

looking hard at a Crunch
on: March 19, 2017, 10:45:43 PM
does anyone know of negatives about it? thanks

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Re: looking hard at a Crunch
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 10:52:24 PM
For me Price.

And, I have this. $13 and it probably performs better. Albeit, doesn't have a knife or screwdriver. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Irwin-Vise-Grip-Fast-Release-Locking-Pliers-Steel-1T-10R/881584489?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1122&adid=22222222228073277718&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=184854741803&wl4=pla-312570249754&wl5=9033002&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=101593696&wl11=online&wl12=881584489&wl13=&veh=sem (I did not buy it from Walmart)

I also would like to own one, and probably will someday. But really I don't NEED it, but would LIKE it  :D
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 11:58:13 PM
it's unique,  :drool:

it's versatile,   :multi:

it's compact,  ;)

it's excellent,   :ahhh

but it's expensive...and has no scissors!!  :twak:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 12:02:10 AM
it's unique,  :drool:

(Image removed from quote.)

it's versatile,   :multi:

it's compact,  ;)

it's excellent,   :ahhh

but it's expensive...and has no scissors!!  :twak:

But isn't that what modding is for? So you can have what you want/need?  ;)
BUCK: X-Tract, 360
GERBER: Clutch, Shortcut, Dime*, DimE*, Octane & Crucial FAST
MP600 NN, CentreDrive, Grappler
Diesel*, Nickle*, Bullrush, MP600 BN, Flik & MP600DET* all in BO
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
Crunch, MTO Style CS, Sideclip, BO Kick*
SOG: PowerAccess, Blacktip*, HD PPP
VICTORINOX: SwissTool Std, X(CS), & RS all with red logo, Spirit XBS
*=mod

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 12:24:15 AM
Not many, but I prefer the Tough Grip made by Schrade and Petersen Vise Grip. It's basically nothing more than a regular pair of Vise Grips with the "Quick Release" lever replaced with a handle with the tools in it.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 02:03:11 AM

As mentioned, they can be a bit expensive.

Limited toolset

A bit fiddly to deploy the pliers

Some owners don't realise there is a 1/4" b it driver in one handle.

And that's about it from my viewpoint.  The Crunch is one of my all-time favourite multitools.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 02:25:24 AM

As mentioned, they can be a bit expensive.

Limited toolset

A bit fiddly to deploy the pliers

Some owners don't realise there is a 1/4" b it driver in one handle.

And that's about it from my viewpoint.  The Crunch is one of my all-time favourite multitools.
+1
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 03:53:59 AM
+1 To me the Crunch is a must have tool. I am also a big fan of Vice grip tools I use them all the time. Why not get both.  :D

Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 03:19:24 PM
Not many, but I prefer the Tough Grip made by Schrade and Petersen Vise Grip. It's basically nothing more than a regular pair of Vise Grips with the "Quick Release" lever replaced with a handle with the tools in it.

I can't decide which I like better, the A100, the Crunch or the Schrades...all vise grip MTs are awesome!

the big plus of the Crunch is it's compact size, but it also takes longer to deploy
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 04:33:40 PM

I can't decide which I like better, the A100, the Crunch or the Schrades...all vise grip MTs are awesome!

the big plus of the Crunch is it's compact size, but it also takes longer to deploy

That Kershaw looks hot!  :gimme:

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 08:23:23 PM
If I had a penny for every time I've used my Crunch, in the last five years, in a capacity that regular multitool pliers would not provide, I'd probably have about 25 cents, which doesn't sound like much, but would enable me to purchase a piece of bubble gum from a vending machine.

gb Offline Biker_Bob

Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 08:29:30 PM
Get one and hang the expense!
I've got 25 of them now, it's the only MT I own.
Look through some of my posts on customising the Crunch - there's no other tool can do what the Crunch does.
If you're a biker it's especially useful. I can remove the wheels from my Honda using just my Crunch and socket adaptor..

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 08:30:41 PM
Look through some of my posts on customising the Crunch - there's no other tool can do what the Crunch does.
If you're a biker it's especially useful. I can remove the wheels from my Honda using just my Crunch and socket adaptor..
   25? 

:surrender:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

gb Offline Biker_Bob

Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 08:06:29 AM
   25? 

:surrender:

Heh heh, the way I figure it - Leatherman will eventually stop making them and now I've got enough that if I lose or break one every couple of years they'll last me the rest of my days....

fi Offline Padre

Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 01:22:30 PM
The blade could be plain edge.
When using you have to construct it first.
Thats all bad I can think of.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline cody6268

Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 02:25:44 PM
I'm another looking at the Crunch.  I'm torn between three different locking plier tools:  Crunch, Kershaw A100 (too expensive, but for some reason, I like it the best), and the Schrade Petersen Vise Grip Tough Grip.   The Crunch is the most compact.  Unlike the others, you have to assemble it upon unfolding.   And without practice, that can be tricky.    The Petersen/Schrade is your best bet, as it's just a regular pair of Vise Grips with tools added.   Unlike the others, it was offered in many jaw types as well--you could get it in huge curved jaw for pipes, plain old curved jaw, and long nose at least.

One I strongly recommend avoiding is the one recently put out by Irwin--it's an utter piece of garbage.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: March 23, 2017, 12:41:30 AM
Don't carry mine much but I did today :cheers: The Crunch is one of those gotta have tools to me though :tu:

20170322_133305 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

20170322_133657 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: March 23, 2017, 02:13:34 PM
Don't carry mine much but I did today :cheers: The Crunch is one of those gotta have tools to me though :tu:

20170322_133305 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

20170322_133657 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

+1 especially if you don't have a Vice Grip tool per se.
Until last year that I bought some proper tools all my locking pliers were multitools, the Crunch, A100 and Vise Grip models from Schrade

My toys:

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #18 on: March 23, 2017, 03:23:17 PM
I used my Crunch today to fix a lock on the door to my dog club's agility equipment shed.  Regular pliers wouldn't have worked for the job.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Offline lurkee

Reply #19 on: March 24, 2017, 01:11:43 AM
thanks guys. For what I want it to do, I'd have to swap-out the bit driver, all the screwdrivers but the big flathead, and bring in a carbon steel regular blade, and an awl with sewing hole. That should be feasible, tho. To me, multitools are for the woods. Any other place, I'll have access to a box of real tools, and the ability to either just leave the problem, go get what I need, or pay somebody else to do it.  When me and the wife are in the woods, me and what I can do are pretty much it. She's just along cause I ask her to be and she worries about me. We take a rental satellite phone, and pistols, so it aint likely that anything all that serious will occur.  Thanks again.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 01:14:52 AM by lurkee »

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #20 on: March 24, 2017, 02:59:00 AM
swap-out the bit driver,

I'm a bit curious as to just how you are going to do this (and why) ?  The bit driver is built into the handle of a Crunch, and isn't in the way at all - it's just there if you need it.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #21 on: March 24, 2017, 12:18:45 PM
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #22 on: March 25, 2017, 06:09:45 PM
The only negative thing about my Crunch is 1/4" bits does not fit the 1/4 drive. I think I have a lemon. I will send it it together with a few others tools to save on postage. Other than that, Crunch is a cool tool, a class of its own.

Offline Dwest

Reply #23 on: March 26, 2017, 12:49:20 AM
I have one and carried for a while job site use, shop maintenance etc.. Its a niche item and if it can fill a particular role for you it works well. But as generel carry it is very limited in comparison to other multitools available.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: March 27, 2017, 02:51:10 AM
I have a Crunch and it's the only LM I own. It does have a limited toolset and I don't use it all that often but when I do use it, it is worth its weight in gold. When it grabs onto something, it can bend it like no other. Even though people either love or hate the serrated blade, I think it is a good solid blade. If you can find one at a reasonable price, is strongly look at it. It really is a unique mt..
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Offline Dwest

Reply #25 on: March 27, 2017, 03:25:32 AM
I have a Crunch and it's the only LM I own. It does have a limited toolset and I don't use it all that often but when I do use it, it is worth its weight in gold. When it grabs onto something, it can bend it like no other. Even though people either love or hate the serrated blade, I think it is a good solid blade. If you can find one at a reasonable price, is strongly look at it. It really is a unique mt..

I agree with you, mine lives in my tool bag and i would not trade it  it has s good set of tools and options

Offline lurkee

Reply #26 on: March 27, 2017, 11:02:36 PM
I"m not sure if swapping out the bit driver will let me mod it as I want, but I know that the bit driver will be no help to me for the intended purpose of the tool

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #27 on: March 28, 2017, 04:02:27 AM
I"m not sure if swapping out the bit driver will let me mod it as I want, but I know that the bit driver will be no help to me for the intended purpose of the tool

My point is that you can't really "swap-out" the bit driver in a crunch, it is an integral part of the handle and you can't replace it.  Besides, the grip adjustment screw goes in there when you are using the pliers. 

So I still don't understand how you can "swap" it for anything else.  If you aren't using bits it is no handicap, it isn't occupying space where you could put another component in its place.  Have you had a good look at where the bit driver actually is and how it works on a Crunch ?  If you have you will soon forget about swapping it for anything else.

http://www.moontrail.com/knives/k-ltg/crunch.html   (scroll down to see pics of the bit driver in the handle)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 04:06:59 AM by gregozedobe »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #28 on: March 28, 2017, 04:04:18 AM
Yes, I like locking pliers type multi-tools myself.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,66395.msg1272003.html#msg1272003
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56