Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rebar Pliers on a Charge/ Wave

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Rebar Pliers on a Charge/ Wave
on: March 13, 2017, 05:58:48 AM
I sent in a PST II for a warranty claim, and Leatherman was gracious to send me a Rebar as replacement. I already have a Rebar, so that is number 2 that I do not have immediate need for. I am thinking of giving a plier head swap a shot to make a ReCharge / ReWave / Wavar or whatever it is  >:D I always have a hard time realigning the pivot pins when reassembling the Wave/ Charge series, so just want to confirm the compatibility prior diving in.

Does the Rebar pliers fit right into to the Wave/ Charge frame, or I have to do some modification regarding the stopping tabs?

Thanks in advance, gents!  :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Rebar Pliers on a Charge/ Wave
Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 06:05:37 AM
Too bad about losing the PST II :-\ but the Rebar is as good of a replacement as you are going to get with the current lineup :cheers: I can't remember if there is any grinding to the tabs or not :think: but hopefully someone in the know who has done this will be along to help you :tu:

Good luck and happy modding :cheers: :like:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 07:34:04 AM
Sometimes but not always the rebar pliers will contact the scissors causing a small gap in the handles when closed.

us Offline Jfowler1

Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 10:45:34 PM
I did this mod a few times.  The head will drop in with a couple changes.

First, in my experiences, I have never seen it fit/close cleanly with the scissor. My solution was to convert it to an ALX/XTI set up with dual bit drivers.
I.E.- lose the flathead and scissor.

Second, I have had to file down the little tab that pops through the thumb hole on the blades when the pliers are open.  Not a huge amount to remove; I just used the diamond file and knock off 1/32 of an inch or so from the tab.  The Rebar head forces that tab a bit further out, and it may actually lock the blades closed when the tool is in the closed position.

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 06:38:26 AM
Thanks for all the inputs and tips. Unfortunately, as impatient as I am, I think I will put off the modder career resume for a while  :P

Just sold that Rebar last week. The fund got me a Core and some changes  >:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD