Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Etekcity Stove

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Etekcity Stove
on: March 20, 2017, 01:26:27 PM
A couple of weeks ago Megan decided to start experimenting with more stoves for her upcoming backpacking trip.  She had been talking about a Jetboil, and she is still wants to get one, but as we don't have any experience with isobutane stoves, she decided to try out a cheapo from Amazon and see what it was like.  She ordered this one:

The Etekcity Mini Camping Stove came in at about $30 with shipping, but I believe was listed at $19.99, not counting the fuel canister.  And, it's remarkably tiny, but then, I guess there doesn't need to be much to these stoves.

Open the box and you get a neat little plastic orange box about three inches high, two wide and an inch and a half or so deep.  Inside is the stove, which has folding pot legs, an igniter, a control valve and a pretty orange anodized aluminum base that screws firmly into the canister.

The igniter is your standard Piezoelectric spark and seems to be a much thicker wire than the ones we have seen on the Jetboil which makes me feel pretty confident that it should last a while.  The igniter sparked nicely during a few pre-fuel tests, and ignited the fuel on the first or second click when the gas was running.

The small pot in my Primus Litech set seemed a bit big for it, and I can see why Jetboil includes a set of stabilizing legs.  Not only did the whole setup seem a bit wobbly (although the uneven stump probably caused most of that), but the canister also froze to the moss during cooking.  It would have been nice to have it raised up and insulated a bit.

Lunch for the day was Sierra Chicken Pasta from Alpine Aire, a brand I have enjoyed quite a bit.  They make virtually the same as the Mountain House- just boil the water, pour it in the bag and wait a bit.  I can't say as I was as impressed with this particular flavor as I have been with others in the past, although it was still edible.  I wouldn't go out of my way for it, but I wouldn't avoid it.

Despite the sub zero temps, and the fact that we didn't have the lid on the pot, it brought the water to the boil point quickly enough.  I had the lid, I just wanted to time it, but in the end I just put the id on to bring it to a nice rolling boil so we could eat.

In the end we were quite pleased with the Etekcity stove.  We thought that the pot legs seemed a bit flimsy, but they were sufficient.  Megan figures that using the small pot that came with her Mini Trangia would be a lot better suited.  I personally think that getting the legs from a Jetboil (I believe they are sold separately?) would have made a huge difference, as would putting the whole thing on a more stable, but perhaps less photogenic surface would have.

We liked the very small size, we loved the price and we both felt that the robust ignition wire was very reassuring.  It gives you the idea that this inexpensive stove was built to last.  Whether that is true or not is another story entirely, but it sure seems like it is well worth the $20 we paid for it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Etekcity Stove
Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 02:00:11 PM
Nice write-up Grant :tu: Looks like a very small and lightweight piece for backpacking anyways :cheers: :cheers:

ca Offline JP

Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 02:05:23 PM
👍

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 02:38:48 PM
Nice write-up Grant :tu: Looks like a very small and lightweight piece for backpacking anyways :cheers: :cheers:

I'm going to do a write up/comparison of the various stoves that I have soon, because frankly I am not convinced on these stoves.

On the surface they are great because they are nice and light, but the fuel canisters are bulky and heavy.  Other stoves may be heavier, but the fuel isn't as bad.

I keep going back to the Bio Lite stove, which is very hungry and requires a lot of fuel, but it is fuel that you find locally and do not have to take with you.  The weight of the Bio Lite is significant versus the Etekcity stove, but when you add in an extra 100g for the canister the weight gets a lot closer.  Sure, the Etekcity is still lighter, but with the Bio Lite you get the added feature of charging any electronic devices.  That may not be a benefit to some people, but I rather enjoy having the ability to recharge a GoPro, phone, flashlight etc.

By comparison, most of the Jetboil systems are heavier than the Bio Lite, but then they also include a pot, and so one has to factor in the weight of stoves plus pots, or else find the Jetboil weight without the pot attachment in order to make a direct comparison.

But, I'll get into those when the weather is a bit nicer and I can control the variables a little better.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 03:18:15 PM
The fuel canister stabilizers are sold separately. 

Nice write up as well. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline JP

Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 04:27:22 PM
Hey Boss, do you have the Jetboil Joule? I have been thinking of picking up a small portable for hikes and canoe trips with the kids (Day trips) and the Joule is $199 at Cabela's now. Open to all options.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 04:34:06 PM
We haven't gotten any of the Jetboil models yet.  I have been looking at the Jetboil Minimo, but Megan seems more interested in the Flash.  Either way, I have no experience with Jetboil just yet.

Def

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 05:08:32 PM
Great write-up boss.  Megan is right; a small Trangia pot will suit that style of stove much better and make it feel more stable.  I've never bothered with extra legs on my stoves and I've not had any issues.  I've also never bothered with a dedicated insulation mat, but keeping the canister off snow and ice is a good idea.  You'll get a really poor flame from your stove if the canister is too cold.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 07:02:29 PM
Think about what you are saying there Gareth.  If you want to say Megan is right, you may never hear the end of it....  :ahhh

I know I won't!

Still, I wasn't thinking of a mat so much as the legs, which would hold the canister off the frozen ground. It would keep it from freezing down and it would stabilize the entire thing.

Def

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 09:42:36 PM
Like I said; I've not tried any legs but if you think they'll keep the base clear of the ground I'd say it's got a good chance of helping.  Personally I've always found something that can act as an insulator, most often pine boughs or some vegetation.  Of course not putting it on the snow is best.  :D

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
  • Does your head look like a watermelon?
Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 12:51:39 AM
Think about what you are saying there Gareth.  If you want to say Megan is right, you may never hear the end of it....  :ahhh

I know I won't!

Still, I wasn't thinking of a mat so much as the legs, which would hold the canister off the frozen ground. It would keep it from freezing down and it would stabilize the entire thing.

Def

I'm not sure I'm ever wrong...
 :whistle:
-Megan
Would you like your review featured on http://Multitool.org? Do you have a suggestion to improve the forum or our sites?
Send me a message.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 09:48:32 AM

I know I won't!

Def

I'm not sure I'm ever wrong...
 :whistle:

It really doesn't seem very likely. :think:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 12:54:25 PM
Except when picking out men....  :whistle:

Def

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 01:48:19 PM
Except when picking out men....  :whistle:

Def

Well, no-one can get it right 100% of the time I suppose. :shrug:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 01:36:37 PM
Thanks to Barry's thread I was reminded that I needed to update this one. 

The Etekcity stove has been on quite a few outings since we got it and it still works wonderfully, although the sparking rod is pretty well shot.  If you sit there and press the button for over and over again for a while you will probably eventually ignite the stove, assuming you don't run out of isobutane first.  Since I usually carry matches this isn't a really big deal, and since I know the sparking rod isn't great I will make certain to always pack matches with it.

I've run almost two full cans of isobutane through it now and it has cooked an awful lot of Mountain House and Alpine Aire freeze dried meals in that time.  I like how efficient the stove is and it is really compact, although the fuel tank isn't.  It's not that bulky, especially not compared to other stoves, but the fuel tank is quite a bit larger than the stove and therefore is noticeable.  I still haven't gotten the legs for it, but I am still planning to, because I think they are necessary.  Every time I use it the fuel canister seems to want to freeze to whatever surface it is sitting on, although that often is because it's winter and already cold out.

We used the stove last summer as well while camping, almost exclusively for coffee making in the morning.  It is the stove that Megan is most comfortable using, and since I don't drink coffee it is the one she tends to use for that.  Most of the other cooking duties while camping were performed either on an open fire or with my 2 burner propane Coleman stove. 

It's a good stove, and even without the sparking rod, I still consider it well worth the $20 spent on it.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: August 28, 2018, 01:16:55 PM
A few weeks ago the Etekcity stove died on us.  It started with the legs getting all jammed up, with no real reason why, then, when the legs were freed up it apparently tore a gasket somewhere and now it leaks like crazy.  Still. it lasted over a year, and or the $20 price tag, it still seems like it was worthwhile.  We've used it in the cold of winter and the heat of summer and it worked well no matter what.

I can't say there was no user error involved (I wasn't the one using it when the failure happened) so I don't know what the cause of this problem was, but, knowing the potential reliability issues, I would hate for this to be our only stove.

That having been said, the week before it crapped out it was used extensively as someone (someone who looks a lot like me in fact....  :facepalm:) forgot to bring along the fuel for the Fusco butane stove and the two burner Coleman propane stove.  As an experiment, Megan made eggs Benedict, bacon and toast on it, which makes me wonder if the design fails due to excessive use.  After all, these stoves are largely intended just to boil a pot of water, right? 

Def

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: August 29, 2018, 11:29:15 AM
That's a shame. :-\  I wonder if the prolonged use made something warp? :think:  I know most of my "cooking" on these kind of things is time limited to maybe 5-10 minutes at a time.  That's on the premise that the less time I spend cooking, the less fuel I need to worry about carrying.

I've had my eye ion one of these as a tiny back-up or lightweight option.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: August 29, 2018, 01:33:37 PM
That's a shame. :-\  I wonder if the prolonged use made something warp? :think:  I know most of my "cooking" on these kind of things is time limited to maybe 5-10 minutes at a time.  That's on the premise that the less time I spend cooking, the less fuel I need to worry about carrying.

I've had my eye ion one of these as a tiny back-up or lightweight option.

Well that one would be much better because it is made out of Titanium, and that alone makes it much cooler!  :D

Honestly I am still a fan of these things as they are dirt cheap and you could afford to bring two of them along in case one fails.

Def

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #18 on: August 29, 2018, 03:09:49 PM
For pot stabilising, the answer is tent pegs. Stick tent pegs in the ground just above the height that the pot burns at, and rest the pot on that, so you don't have to worry about stability, or overloading feeble pot supports. As the pot is then seperate to the stove, you don't have to be as worried about the whole thing toppling, or damaging the pot supports. If all else fails, you can build a small twig fire beneath it, or dig a little well, start off a twig fire, and make a star fire above it by feeding larger wood in between the tent pegs. You do have to keep hold of the pot if you don't get the pegs bang level, as they can be a slippy seating for the pot, but I have had to do this a few times, and it saved the day everytime.

I am (and have been for many years) a fan of the Jetboil. I have the original PCS system, but don't cook in it very often. Most of the time, it's just my kettle for boiling water, while the main stove is doing the food. I have used it for cooking though, and it does do the job very well. It's just a PITA to clean, partially due to the depth vs width, and partially due to the neoprene sleeve which invariably gets food spilt on it while stirring or serving. Smashie had a problem with the ignition or burner on his, but their warranty department took care of it.

My main cooking stove these days is a Wild Woodgas Stove, of which I believe there are now cheaper copies on the market. This means that I can use whatever fuel I find along the way, be it twigs or pinecones. Also, if you flip the inner basket which holds the fire, and sit it in upside down, it's just the right height for sitting an alcohol stove on, so even if there's nothing to burn, the stove can still be used. It stores (along with a Sparky made alcohol stove) inside the 900ml stainless pot that I use on it.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 03:14:40 PM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24