Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Friction Folders

dks · 27 · 2212

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Friction Folders
on: March 20, 2017, 01:38:06 PM
Friction folders are the most basic form of folding knives, where the blade stays open or closed just by the frictional forces between the blade and the frame of the knife.

Some models incorporate additional, but still very basic systems to open and help keep the blade open, like the spike (extended blade tang) on the back of the blade of Svord Peasant knives, where the grip of the user is also used to keep the blade open (and the tang is also used to open and close it), in addition to the frictional forces mentioned previously.

There are also enhanced friction folders, where a basic friction folder gains a locking mechanism (e.g. certain versions of Opinel)

The friction (how hard it is to open or close them) in most of these folders can be increased by using a hammer.
The frame can be wooden, metallic, synthetic….
It is very easy to make one, provided you have a blade, a frame and a rivet/pivot

They are fairly common in Europe and Japan, amongst others and they are also build in New Zealand by Svord.

Here are some examples:

From New  Zoidland (extended tang) the Svord Peasant

From Japan (small extended tang) Higonokami

From Spain, Pallares

From Portugal, Martins

From Austria, the Trattenbacher Zauckerl

From France, opinel (I could not find a non locking one to photograph….)

Unknown make, bought here

One I made some time ago using a broken kitchen knife blade

There are various others made all over the world, simple easy to make and maintain tools.
They are usually low cost knives, though some I have seen on the site can be more expensive.  :pok:    post
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Friction Folders
Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 02:39:55 PM
Some very nice knives you have posted dks :o I may only have an Opinel that would qualify :think: I will have to do through and check all of my knives maybe :D Thanks for taking the time to make this write-up :tu: :like: :like:

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 03:03:31 PM
some of those are exquisite tools
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 03:25:07 PM
Great thread dks! I particularly like the gray handled one just above your handmade folder.
I don't have a whole lot of this type of knife but will post some up here. I have a couple more around somewhere but cannot locate the pictures at the moment.
The first one is from A.B.Newman of Austria and is very similar to the blue handled Austrian knife you posted.Not sure how old it is but it appears to be fairly old.I have always seen these referred to as,"penny" knives.I believe that referred to their usually low cost.
The second one is a bit of a mystery.It has what looks like back springs but in fact are just blade stops.One of the unusual features is that these blade stops are all cut at a different angle where the tang comes to rest on them and when open the gap between them is almost non-existent.There are what look like English military marks(broad arrows)and some cyphers that I cannot read.Someone theorized that it might be an Indian military issue knife.
Third is a custom that was made by a good friend and knifemaker Tom McLuin of Dracut Massachusetts.It was his first and I believe his only friction folder. He was making automatic knives for awhile but I believe has since retired.
Last one for this post is my Opinel #13.
A.B.NewmanAustriaPennyKnife 001.jpg
* A.B.NewmanAustriaPennyKnife 001.jpg (Filesize: 44.99 KB)
IndianMultiBlade01.jpg
* IndianMultiBlade01.jpg (Filesize: 72.94 KB)
McLuinFrictionFolder.JPG
* McLuinFrictionFolder.JPG (Filesize: 16.03 KB)
Opinel#13.JPG
* Opinel#13.JPG (Filesize: 23.8 KB)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 03:38:13 PM
Many thanks to all. The Svord and the opinel are probably the most expensive ones, but I am sure that there are some expensive friction folders around. Most of the knives pictured above were under 10 Euro, I think.
The plastic grey one was 4 Euro, the Martins around 5, the Austrian around 4...
Friction folders were widely available and made here a few decades ago using old kitchen knife blades, but now they are usually imported from abroad.

There is some more information on the Austrian model here : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,45080.msg1086248.html#msg1086248

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 05:16:27 PM
Great post dks! At one time there were several store chains in the USA that catered strictly to knives such as Cutlery World. Unfortunately I believe they are all out of business now. The only places you can find large accumulations of knives now is at the infrequent knife and gun shows around the country.Where I live in Southeast Michigan the closest show to me is nearly one hundred miles away and only occurs once a year. To be sure there are some knife stores around the country but they are few and far between. Probably for the best as if they were closer I would likely be continually broke!
I really enjoy posts like that because it allows me to see a microcosm of the rest of the world that I would otherwise never be able to see.At my age travel has become more of a problem that a solution.My wife cannot ride in an automobile for any length of time due to blood clot issues and I cannot fly anymore due to some issues with my inner ear from radiation damage.
My thanks to all who make these posts that allow me to travel electronically.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 05:20:52 PM
I've got a couple of svord mini peasants,one with micarta handles done by Tony,plus a few opinel including a non locking #4-5 love these basic folders, great pics dks  :salute:

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 05:52:55 PM
I relate friction folders to the tang that's exposed when closed. Like the Svord.  :think:
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 07:20:43 PM
 :cheers:  all

Smoky Mountain Knife Works seems to be worth a visit if you live in the States, though it is not close to everybody

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 08:20:14 PM

Smoky Mountain Knife Works seems to be worth a visit if you live in the States, though it is not close to everybody
Very true dks;I just checked a map and it is 500 miles one way to their store.Don't think I'll be driving there any time soon.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 08:47:42 PM
Love the Svord!

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 10:49:02 PM
I've dabbled in some handmade friction folder. I love the simple nature of them and plan on picking up some more in the future.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 10:50:39 PM

Deeks, cool thread Mate  :salute:

A few older pictures of some of mine

Everything’s adjustable

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 12:21:37 AM

My two friction folders

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 12:27:34 AM

Very true dks;I just checked a map and it is 500 miles one way to their store.Don't think I'll be driving there any time soon.

If you can ever make it down to the SMKW Ray you would surely appreciate it :salute: Besides the store itself the top floor has a very big knife museum and all the walls even around the store are decorated with old knives from collections not for sale :o It really is hard to explain just how many knives there are and the scale of the store is unfathomable for just being a knife store :facepalm:

I live a couple hours drive from it thankfully or I, like you said would be broke :ahhh :D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 01:54:31 AM by Poncho65 »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 12:28:16 AM
This thread made me think to carry my Opinel today :tu:

20170320_144710 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #16 on: March 21, 2017, 01:36:47 AM
My green guy I've been carrying almost everyday. Nice big blade and pretty compact.

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: March 21, 2017, 01:58:26 AM

If you can ever make it down to the SMKW Ray you would surely appreciate it :salute: Besides the store itself the top floor has a very big knife museum and all the walls even around the store are decorated with old knives from collections not for sale :o It really is hard to explain just how many knives there are and the scale of the store is unfathomable for just being a knife store :facepalm:

I live a couple hours drive from it thankfully or I, like you said would be broke :ahhh :D

I may just make it down there at some point in time.My brother-in-law lives in Fairfield Glade TN wherever that is and he has been haunting me to visit.Problem is he does a lot of traveling still as a musician on cruise ships.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: March 21, 2017, 04:05:01 AM

I may just make it down there at some point in time.My brother-in-law lives in Fairfield Glade TN wherever that is and he has been haunting me to visit.Problem is he does a lot of traveling still as a musician on cruise ships.

What a small world  :o I live about 20 mins from there :D My brother-in-law is just finishing up a house he is building in Fairfield for a buyer :cheers: I live less than 5 mins from the county that Fairfield Glade is in :like: He probably lives around 80 miles or so from the SMKW :salute: Cool that he play music on cruise ships as well 8)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 04:06:04 AM by Poncho65 »

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #19 on: March 21, 2017, 07:11:18 AM
see, the US is not as big as we assume - everybody seems to know each other :)

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: March 21, 2017, 07:37:29 AM
Here are some of mine... especially liking my Taramundi:

Older picture... since then, the Albacete left me and I got an Olive and a Bubinga Opie slim.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 07:39:09 AM by Corwyn »
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: March 21, 2017, 05:22:34 PM
Some really great stuff posted here! I always enjoy seeing what knife people in other parts of the world collect as it gives me a chance to see knives I normally would not be privy to.What one sees normally in the course of their life is a treat to see for others.
When I worked at the Mercedes-Benz dealership a lot of the people would take trips to Germany and other parts of the Continent to pick up automobiles(European Delivery System)and knowing my penchant for collecting things would either buy me a knife or a scale model car.Got several nice gravity knives and a beautiful stag handled knicker knife plus some really great model cars from the Daimler-Benz museum shop.
What I think would make a great collection would be to acquire one knife from every country.They wouldn't have to be expensive but rather be representative of the country they came from.I'm not sure there are knife manufacturers in all countries but it would be nice to get one that was made for sale in a country that doesn't produce knives.
Might be something for a new collector to aspire to assemble such a collection.It would likely take years to accomplish but I think would make a great collection in the end.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #22 on: March 21, 2017, 05:37:23 PM
I do try to buy knives from each country I visit, but a lot will depend on where you are, both place and country. Some countries have a lot of knife production, but if you are not in the knife producing area it may be hard to find a traditional knife. In some areas they will only sell the touristy rubbish, or overcharge you.

Online is the best way to collect, though you do not get to inspect the knife before buying - Opinels are an example of that, I have handled over 100, but only 1 in 10 would feel OK for me to buy (their premium models are more consistent). And Stag - you really need to see it before you buy it, check for look, feel and any damage. I am a stag snob...

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #23 on: March 21, 2017, 05:43:24 PM

Deeks, cool thread Mate  :salute:

A few older pictures of some of mine

I like the CLB wharcom:tu:

I've got a Svord somewhere, but my favourite is the JD

I've never thought of opies as ff's simply because all of mine lock
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #24 on: March 21, 2017, 05:46:47 PM
Good to see the posh friction folders coming out :)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #25 on: June 03, 2017, 06:13:24 PM
Saladini CIOCIARO

http://www.coltelleriasaladini.it/en/prodotti/ciociaro/

very little friction. Other models have metal sprung liners to increase friction
DSCF0712.JPG
* DSCF0712.JPG (Filesize: 57.02 KB)
DSCF0713.JPG
* DSCF0713.JPG (Filesize: 24.83 KB)
DSCF0716.JPG
* DSCF0716.JPG (Filesize: 62.69 KB)
DSCF0717.JPG
* DSCF0717.JPG (Filesize: 16.83 KB)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #26 on: June 30, 2017, 05:28:19 PM
Claude Dozorme, France
IMG_8798.JPG
* IMG_8798.JPG (Filesize: 60.77 KB)
IMG_8800.JPG
* IMG_8800.JPG (Filesize: 47.8 KB)
IMG_8801.JPG
* IMG_8801.JPG (Filesize: 61.51 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%