Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What do you Think of Wenger/Delemont Magnifier SAKs?

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: What do you Think of Wenger/Delemont Magnifier SAKs?
Reply #30 on: March 23, 2017, 07:39:10 PM
Sorry for the low quality picture, it's from a video review.
The shaft of the magnifier seems so long and a lot of unused surface area.  I think I'm going to cut some SOLAS tape and tape it on.
Or maybe a mirror tape of some sort...something thin enough to not mess with stowing it away, but to be useful.  Thoughts?

Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: March 23, 2017, 08:15:35 PM
Sorry for the low quality picture, it's from a video review.
The shaft of the magnifier seems so long and a lot of unused surface area.  I think I'm going to cut some SOLAS tape and tape it on.
Or maybe a mirror tape of some sort...something thin enough to not mess with stowing it away, but to be useful.  Thoughts?

Good idea!  I don't think you will know if it will work until you try it.

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: March 23, 2017, 08:27:41 PM
You have some fine SAKs and keep getting more...
It's true I do, I like vintage and new, does that mean I like them all?  :ahhh
I thought it might be fun to see for myself what I think of the magnifying tool.
I liked the 23 because it had some essentials that I like...scissors, wood saw, magnifier, I think only one blade which will be adequate, plus it had a finger nail file, I like those.
I'll post my initial thoughts tomorrow, once it's in hand.

I have similar taste in essentials and definitely want the saw in larger assortment tools such as the Spirit X, Swiss Champ and LM Charge.  I do seem to hesitate in just adding the saw and not the file (e.g., Farmer).  On a practical level, I do like keeping my tools pristine and would not like retracting a SAK tool covered in tree sap.  The fish scaler/hook disgorger is a tool that I would prefer to keep separate (haven't been fishing in over 40 years) for the same reason.

If I could choose a file instead, I would definitely prefer it and would use it confidently and just as confidently retract it when finished.  Just before Christmas, my wife had ordered some nice water color sets for the little girls next door but the cases were difficult to open even for an adult.  I used the file on my LM Squirt PS4 to fix the cases so that they were easy to open.  I have a strong preference for files, hence the interest in the Evolution 28.  So, I'm stuck between wanting the file but not wanting to add another layer.  I think I will end up getting the 23.

Offline Dwest

Reply #33 on: March 23, 2017, 09:09:24 PM
You have some fine SAKs and keep getting more...
It's true I do, I like vintage and new, does that mean I like them all?  :ahhh
I thought it might be fun to see for myself what I think of the magnifying tool.
I liked the 23 because it had some essentials that I like...scissors, wood saw, magnifier, I think only one blade which will be adequate, plus it had a finger nail file, I like those.
I'll post my initial thoughts tomorrow, once it's in hand.

I have similar taste in essentials and definitely want the saw in larger assortment tools such as the Spirit X, Swiss Champ and LM Charge.  I do seem to hesitate in just adding the saw and not the file (e.g., Farmer).  On a practical level, I do like keeping my tools pristine and would not like retracting a SAK tool covered in tree sap.  The fish scaler/hook disgorger is a tool that I would prefer to keep separate (haven't been fishing in over 40 years) for the same reason.

If I could choose a file instead, I would definitely prefer it and would use it confidently and just as confidently retract it when finished.  Just before Christmas, my wife had ordered some nice water color sets for the little girls next door but the cases were difficult to open even for an adult.  I used the file on my LM Squirt PS4 to fix the cases so that they were easy to open.  I have a strong preference for files, hence the interest in the Evolution 28.  So, I'm stuck between wanting the file but not wanting to add another layer.  I think I will end up getting the 23.

l always want the saw and file probably because the first SAK I had did not have either and it seemed I always came across something that they would have been nice to have at the time. But honestly I dont use either one unless I plan to. The Scaler I find is very useful, it's one of those pointed stick things that fills the bill at the time. I have used it to Strip Wires, Cut Bread, Drywall Saw, Poke things that need poking, Letter opener, Carving Pumkins, Range finder,etc etc.. it is quite the amazing little tool limited mostly by imagination. I probably use it more than the knife.

Reply #34 on: March 25, 2017, 03:01:15 PM
Evo 23 arrived yesterday.  Here are my initial thoughts.
Tools have great snap.
I like the looks of the scissor design.  That lever just looks sturdier even though I haven't used my Victorinox scissors enough to ever have a spring fail.
I like the tweezer/toothpick on the outside.  Really wish this had plus scales.
I haven't warmed up to the magnifying lens yet.  It's probably operator error.  The diameter of the lens is small.  The shaft of the tool is long & wide making that layer thick in the knife.
I like the one blade on it.  Seems to have a little extra belly on the blade.
I like 85mm.
It feels similar to a roll of nickels in the hand.  If I'm ever in a bar fight, I'll remember to clutch my knife while making that first swing.   :cheers:
I'll keep it.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 03:03:36 PM by FolderBeholder »

Offline Dwest

Reply #35 on: March 25, 2017, 03:40:55 PM
Tools have great snap.
I like the looks of the scissor design.  That lever just looks sturdier even though I haven't used my Victorinox scissors enough to ever have a spring fail.
I haven't warmed up to the magnifying lens yet.  It's probably operator error.  The diameter of the lens is small.  The shaft of the tool is long & wide making that layer thick in the knife.
I like 85mm.
It feels similar to a roll of nickels in the hand.  If I'm ever in a bar fight, I'll remember to clutch my knife while making that first swing.   :cheers:
I'll keep it.

Hope it works well for you. The extra length of the magnifier comes in handy at times. The 85mm length fits in the coin pocket jeans better also.

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: March 25, 2017, 04:17:44 PM
Tools have great snap.
I like 85mm.
I'll keep it.

Greetings, FB!

Thank you for taking the time to describe your impressions! 

Prior to getting various tools with scissors utilizing a bar for a spring, I was expecting them to  be just as described in multiple YouTube videos (superior to Vic SAKs).  However, I did run into difficulty with at least three of my LM Juice models (sticking) and that problem was addressed with lubrication.  The problem did have me going for awhile.  This experience reinforced my understanding that no tool is perfect and it also helped me better appreciate my Victorinox scissors.  I realized that if I couldn't resolve a problem with the bar acting as a spring, there would be no replacement remedy as there would with a Victorinox spring replacement.

I was particularly interested in your comments about the magnifier.  The 8x Grey frame magnifier has been my ideal as it suits me perfectly.  It is noticeably narrower than the clear-framed 6x magnifier of 2012 (and the plastic one as well) and yet it still delivers the desired functionality and is very comfortable to use.  I do have a concern whether the narrower magnifier on the Evolution 23 would be too narrow.

Again, thanks for describing your impressions!  I hope you thoroughly enjoy your new acquisition!

:cheers:

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #37 on: March 25, 2017, 04:44:52 PM
Tools have great snap.
I like 85mm.
I'll keep it.

Congrats on the new toy and I too appreciate you posting your impressions on it.   :tu:

I like that one too except for the saw and no inline philips.  If it had the saw removed and added an inline philips it would be a nice urban EDC like the Explorer!  I think the mag lens design is kinda strange but only because I have only had and used the Vic's setup.  Do you know what mag power it is?  I don't remember seeing that listed in this thread so I am curious!  Let us know your thoughts on the mag once you get to play with it more! 

Reply #38 on: March 25, 2017, 04:52:42 PM
Tools have great snap.
I like 85mm.
I'll keep it.

Congrats on the new toy and I too appreciate you posting your impressions on it.   :tu:

I like that one too except for the saw and no inline philips.  If it had the saw removed and added an inline philips it would be a nice urban EDC like the Explorer!  I think the mag lens design is kinda strange but only because I have only had and used the Vic's setup.  Do you know what mag power it is?  I don't remember seeing that listed in this thread so I am curious!  Let us know your thoughts on the mag once you get to play with it more!
My thought is if they removed the current mag layer and inserted the mag/inline phillips it would get some serious EDC time, that and plus scales.  :tu:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 05:08:59 PM by FolderBeholder »

Reply #39 on: March 25, 2017, 05:21:47 PM
The mags:

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 05:26:25 PM by FolderBeholder »

Offline Dwest

Reply #40 on: March 25, 2017, 05:44:27 PM
I can understand the want of a dedicated philips, but the nail file doubles as a Philips for small screws and the can opener works on Philips as well.

The nail file is a good striker for strike any where type matches.

Reply #41 on: March 25, 2017, 05:49:27 PM
I can understand the want of a dedicated philips, but the nail file doubles as a Philips for small screws and the can opener works on Philips as well.

The nail file is a good striker for strike any where type matches.
That's true and this Eco 23 has a lot going for it.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #42 on: March 25, 2017, 05:52:06 PM
Tools have great snap.
I like 85mm.
I'll keep it.

Congrats FB!!!!! Don't forget to let the tip of the corkscrew stick out between your middle and ring finger and slowly knock on the table top.... It's a motivational image that goes a long way in stopping a fight before it starts...   :D   (and no, I was not in a shady Del Rio, Texas bar in 1978 where this scenario may or may not have played out)   :whistle:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

Reply #43 on: March 25, 2017, 06:00:37 PM
Congrats FB!!!!! Don't forget to let the tip of the corkscrew stick out between your middle and ring finger and slowly knock on the table top.... It's a motivational image that goes a long way in stopping a fight before it starts...   :D   (and no, I was not in a shady Del Rio, Texas bar in 1978 where this scenario may or may not have played out)   :whistle:
:rofl: :tu:

Offline Dwest

Reply #44 on: March 25, 2017, 06:54:38 PM
Sounds like making of another B movie. The Texas Cork Screw Massacre

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #45 on: March 25, 2017, 07:14:09 PM

:rofl:   There may or may not be a Tarantino email in my box and if there were, I'm possibly ignoring him (or not) so no comment......  8)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 07:15:25 PM by SAK Guy »
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: March 25, 2017, 08:54:59 PM
The mags:

Thanks for the comparison photos!!!

Wow!  It's tiny!

us Offline cali-SAK-attack

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: March 26, 2017, 09:16:44 AM

:rofl:   There may or may not be a Tarantino email in my box and if there were, I'm possibly ignoring him (or not) so no comment......  8)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :2tu:
***CLICK on my pics to see actual sized photo :)

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #48 on: March 26, 2017, 07:37:31 PM
:D
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

Reply #49 on: March 29, 2017, 06:41:20 PM
Update, I have decided to return the Evo 23 to Amazon.  Although I love the size of the Evo 23, the magnifier is too small for my aging eyes, either that or I'm too used to the ones on the Explorer/SwissChamp.
If the Evo 23 had the larger mag and some plus scales, that would be one I would keep.

Decided to do a photo shoot before packaging it up:
Left to right S17, Evo 23, Evo 18

« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 06:50:21 PM by FolderBeholder »

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #50 on: March 29, 2017, 08:35:43 PM
Am carrying a unique Wenger with a mag today...it's uncataloged (so far) so I'm calling it a "Deluxe Traveler".

- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: March 29, 2017, 08:43:54 PM
Update, I have decided to return the Evo 23 to Amazon.  Although I love the size of the Evo 23, the magnifier is too small for my aging eyes, either that or I'm too used to the ones on the Explorer/SwissChamp.
If the Evo 23 had the larger mag and some plus scales, that would be one I would keep.

The magnifier size was my chief concern.  Over 90% of my magnifier use has been with the grey-framed magnifier.  It suits my requirements but the magnifier area is just big enough to be useful.  Since the Evo 23 is noticeably smaller, it makes sense that it would be too small to be useful.  Thank you so much for sharing your findings.  I will be suspending my plans to get an Evo 28.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #52 on: March 29, 2017, 09:07:42 PM

Glad you and Jim were able to evaluate and decide on the Wenger Style Mags!!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: March 30, 2017, 04:48:44 AM
SG, I owe you & FB a great deal of thanks for the pictorial comparisons.  The information that I gained from this thread has been very helpful and has provided me with insights I would not have had otherwise.  Although I have no intentions of purchasing a Delemonte magnifier SAK anytime soon, I may eventually get the Evolution 23 to have a sample of the Wenger-style magnifier.  Realistically, I don't see myself using the Evo 23 magnifier instead of the Explorer magnifier but I think that I might enjoy having it in my collection.

:salute:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #54 on: March 30, 2017, 05:03:44 AM
SG, I owe you & FB a great deal of thanks for the pictorial comparisons.  The information that I gained from this thread has been very helpful and has provided me with insights I would not have had otherwise.  Although I have no intentions of purchasing a Delemonte magnifier SAK anytime soon, I may eventually get the Evolution 23 to have a sample of the Wenger-style magnifier.  Realistically, I don't see myself using the Evo 23 magnifier instead of the Explorer magnifier but I think that I might enjoy having it in my collection.

You're welcome Jim!!!!  It's a different world view I think...the Wenger mag may be intended to be more of a field expedient fire starter than a reading aid....make sense with it's higher power. Wenger does have a lot of themed models aimed at outdoor sports/hiking and the concept (effective in practice or not) of high efficiency emergency fire starter might fit well into that "outdoors" mindset vs Vics multipurpose optical aid. Just musing about the different designs.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: March 30, 2017, 05:13:35 AM

You're welcome Jim!!!!  It's a different world view I think...the Wenger mag may be intended to be more of a field expedient fire starter than a reading aid....make sense with it's higher power. Wenger does have a lot of themed models aimed at outdoor sports/hiking and the concept (effective in practice or not) of high efficiency emergency fire starter might fit well into that "outdoors" mindset vs Vics multipurpose optical aid. Just musing about the different designs.

Very good point!  I have been thinking of my own needs and requirements such as reading small print such as the serial or model number of a tool or battery.  I was forgetting the outdoors focus of the Wenger-style tools in question and the likely role of the magnifier as a fire starter.

:cheers:

Offline Dwest

Reply #56 on: March 31, 2017, 01:39:07 AM
The real difference between the magnifiers is when you hold them close to the eye.like Sherlock Holmes or the guys examining a diamond in the movies. It gives the best view out the Vic and the Wenger.
Neither is very good st fire starting. It can be done but both are really too small for that.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 01:40:15 AM by Dwest »

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #57 on: April 11, 2017, 12:58:08 PM
I always wondered about the durability of the Wenger lens.
Since it's mounted in-line with the slotted screwdriver, does torque warp the frame the lens is mounted in?
If Wenger uses glass lenses this might pose a problem.
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #58 on: April 11, 2017, 03:43:13 PM
I always wondered about the durability of the Wenger lens.
Since it's mounted in-line with the slotted screwdriver, does torque warp the frame the lens is mounted in?
If Wenger uses glass lenses this might pose a problem.

My only observation on this is in the many hundreds of used SAKs that have passed through my hands over the years, I have seen a number Wengers (maybe 3 out of 10-15 with mags) with no glass in the mag...100% of the Vics have had glass.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #59 on: April 12, 2017, 04:09:16 PM
My only observation on this is in the many hundreds of used SAKs that have passed through my hands over the years, I have seen a number Wengers (maybe 3 out of 10-15 with mags) with no glass in the mag...100% of the Vics have had glass.

Well, without a lens you at least have 1x magnification  :rofl:
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44