Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Monoculars?

wales Offline caninesapien

Monoculars?
on: March 21, 2017, 10:15:06 AM
Can anyone recommend a good monocular for hiking/camping etc? I'm extremely short sighted and as such I have trouble with binoculars as I can never quite get the focus spot on for use with my weak eyeballs! Monoculars have generally been a lot easier for me to use but wondered if anyone could recommend any model/brand in particular?

Thanks!

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Monoculars?
Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 10:37:01 AM
This thread is a good start, but a search of this site for monoculars will find heaps more threads that will probably be worth researching ....

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,58875.msg1385410.html#msg1385410
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 10:43:00 AM
1) Will you use it with glasses?

2) Do you need short focus?

3) Do you have space restrictions?

4) How much are you willing to  spend?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 10:44:51 AM by kkokkolis »

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 11:45:33 AM
Some benevolent highjacking for my own purposes. ;) I assume original poster is able to highjack it back, and I hope kkokkolis can answer for both sets of requirements. :)

1) Will you use it with glasses?

Yes. As original poster I'm nearsighted, but I'm not very nearsighted myself.

2) Do you need short focus?

No.

3) Do you have space restrictions?

Smaller is better.

4) How much are you willing to  spend?

“Depends.” :) I know what I have to shell out to get a Leica and I know what I have to shell out to get some stuff which does a fair enough job under simple circumstances. Personally. I'd rather have some information about what I can get for what amounts, than set a fixed limit.

Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 12:20:15 PM
This thread is a good start, but a search of this site for monoculars will find heaps more threads that will probably be worth researching ....

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,58875.msg1385410.html#msg1385410

Oops - should have searched before posting! Thanks for this, will check it out.

Some benevolent highjacking for my own purposes. ;) I assume original poster is able to highjack it back, and I hope kkokkolis can answer for both sets of requirements. :)

:D

Same answers for me, except that I'd be interested in short focus too...

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 02:14:21 PM
I'll try to post my opinion, but, plese, give me time, I'm in the middle of a workweek.

Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 03:31:19 PM
I'll try to post my opinion, but, plese, give me time, I'm in the middle of a workweek.

No problem, no rush for answers! Thanks for your help kkokkolis  :cheers:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 03:35:22 PM

No problem, no rush for answers! Thanks for your help kkokkolis  :cheers:

:imws:  :salute:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 03:45:47 PM
Note that most cheap monoculars CAN'T be used with glasses (or can be used only with flat lenses wich are close to the eye).

Good eye relief costs.

That restricts options a lot.

BUT, if you only have myopia or hypermetriopia, or presbyopia and NO ASTIGMATISM, you can take off (or move a bit) your glasses and observe with medium/short eye relief monoculars.

THAT SAVES MONEY!

And I know of (and heavily use) a smallish Nikon binocular that has lots of eye relief and costs (from the Netherlands) less than the best binoculars from Zeiss, Leica, Nikon and Vixen.

If you aren't one eyed or a cyclops, you probably can use a binocular.

Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 05:34:07 PM
Thanks for the tips! The two sets binoculars I've used in the recent past have not been good for me - I cannot seem to focus with or without my glasses (note - I am extremely short sighted - if i lost/broke my glasses when out of the house i would be without a hope!) and after using the second set for a few minutes a couple of weeks ago, i started to get a tremendous headache.

I tried a cheap monocular recently and after shifting/moving my glasses closer to my eye than normal, i could see much better than the binoculars I have used previously. That's the reason I was after a monoc instead of a binoc... but maybe i've just had bad luck with binoculars.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 08:05:01 PM
I'll start from the tops. When you see a price you can pay, stop there.

Leica Monocular Monovid 8x20

405 euros

I used it as a binocular (Leica Ultravid 8x20). It is essentialy half that binocular.

Just excellent. It has short focus with an additional lens. Lovelly but pricey. Lots of eye relief, you can use it even with the thickest eyeglasses. Apparent field of view is 50 degrees (call it medium). Quality is too of the tops.

http://www.astroshop.eu/leica-monocular-monovid-8x20/p,16489

« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 11:02:49 PM by kkokkolis »

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 11:09:03 PM
Vixen 6x21 ED

399€

Equal to the Leica in every respect, but easier to stabilize, because of less magnification, 6x vs 8x. Better at night because of greater exit pupil. Equal apparent field of view, greater true FOV. For the money I would get the Leica. Haven't used it yet (a friend of mine has it, so I will eventually).

http://www.astroshop.eu/vixen-monocular-6x21-ed-monokular/p,44035#tab_bar_1_select

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 11:15:52 PM
Nikon High Grade 7x15

314€

Nikon High Grade 5x15

296€

We are talking about ease of use here. Easy focusing. Less AFOV, 44 degrees. Less aperture. I wouldn't use it for birding or astronomy, but it is great for the urban explorer (roadsigns, museums, monuments etc). Good close focus. They are more of a gadget than traditional monoculars. Expensive.

http://www.astroshop.eu/nikon-monocular-high-grade-7x15/p,13588#tab_bar_1_select

http://www.astroshop.eu/nikon-monocular-high-grade-5x15/p,5292

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 11:21:09 PM
Zeiss 8x20 T*

297€

Great in every respect, equal or better to all of the above. Similar to the Leica but 100€ cheaper. I wouldn't buy any of the above because this exists. Smaller Zeiss (that follow) add gadgetry factor, but this is the overall best buy monocular.

http://www.astroshop.eu/zeiss-monocular-mono-8x20-t%2A/p,5244#tab_bar_1_select

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 11:29:05 PM
Zeiss 6x18 T*

279€

Zeiss 4x12 T*

266€

These are similar to the Nikon High Grades, but better (and cheaper). Used the 6x18 and loved it. It has less AFOV, 40 degrees, but a very easy focusing (telescopic, push in/out) and great short focus, 30cm for the big one and 50cm for the small one (a reall spy monocular). You can look your SAKs, museum excibits, insects etc with short focus, like a microscope from a distance. Great eye relief (as all of the above).

That's the one I would buy.

http://www.astroshop.eu/zeiss-monocular-mono-6x18-t%2A/p,5243#tab_bar_1_select
http://www.astroshop.eu/zeiss-binoculars-mono-4x12-t%2A/p,5242#tab_bar_1_select

« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 11:38:07 PM by kkokkolis »

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 11:33:46 PM
Zeiss MiniQuick 5x10 T*

179€

That's not a full monocular. It's short of a toy for somebody who has 2-3 other optics and wants something to play with. An expensive toy which is darker than the above and with claustrophobic AFOV (less than 30 degrees). Bad short focus. I would skip it.

http://www.astroshop.eu/zeiss-monocular-miniquick-5x10-t%2A/p,5241#tab_bar_1_select

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #16 on: March 21, 2017, 11:37:05 PM
These where the Alphas. We will discuss the second market segment tomorrow (I call them Betas, because I'm a Greek and I know the second letter of our Alphabet), where we will find those that mortals can afford and they are still very good.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #17 on: March 22, 2017, 06:50:06 AM
Minox Macroscope MS 8x25

179€

The first porro after many roofs, this monocular has equal optics quality at a lower price, because it costs less to build a porro and you avoid the need for expensive phase coatings. Minox is the maker of the famous spy camera. This one has excellent short focus, 30cm as the Zeiss 6x18,and an equal exit pupil. But it is brighter (aperture 25mm). Also bigger, without being really big. Eye relief is OK, but not that great. I would buy that (in fact I think I will).

http://www.astroshop.eu/m.../p,12597#tab_bar_1_select

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: March 22, 2017, 06:57:50 AM
I mis read the title. Oh man I was really wanting this thread to be about monocles!

:nothingtoadd: carry on  :D
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #19 on: March 22, 2017, 06:59:47 AM
Docter Mono 8x21 C

170€

Now, this is a legend. It was first sold by Zeiss, a whole century ago, as Zeiss Turmon. There are many copies (some at a ridiculus price, Russians are better than Chinese, but none as good as the German thing), but this is the real thing, since Docter is the former Carl Zeiss Jenna (the Zeiss of East Germany). So it costs. But it delivers. I have it and love it.
It is a porro. It is incredibly small. It fits inside your hand, so you may observe stealthy (Stasi agents used it to spy). It uses additional lenses that make it a really powerful microscope (Turmon had a stand, but you can make one from a plastic container). It unfolds to a flat piece that fits everywhere.

Inly drawback: bad eye relief. One should use it without eyeglasses. If you don't have astigmatism, you can do it.

http://www.astroshop.eu/d...-mono-8x21-c-grey/p,11532

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #20 on: March 22, 2017, 07:15:27 AM
Vixen 8x20

157 €

Vixen 6x16

150€

Vixen 4x12

139€

The "cheap" Vixens (Vixen is reknown Japanese maker of excellent optics) are similar to the Zeiss monoculars, but lack the ED glass and phase coatings (I'm not sure about that, that's an assumption from their price). They also use cheaper Bk 7 glass.  They use a 3x acrylic stand that triples their magnification and adds shortfocus. Very good overall, the small one is incredibly small. At this price I chose the Docter (or would go with the Minix Macroscope otherwise) because it sure has better optics. Still they are better from what follows.

All Vixens are 50% cheaper in the US, something not always true for German Optics (Leica, Zeiss, Minox).

http://www.astroshop.eu/vixen-monocular-monokular-8x20/p,5603#tab_bar_1_select

http://www.astroshop.eu/vixen-monocular-monokular-6x16/p,5602

http://www.astroshop.eu/vixen-monocular-monokular-4x12/p,5600

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #21 on: March 22, 2017, 07:22:25 AM
The 42s

Minox MD 7x42

149€

Celestron Cavalry 8x42

129€

Celestron Oceana 8x42

109€

Bresser Nautic 8x42

109€

And others of lesser quality.

These are BIG. They also have special use. Most have integrated compass/rangefinder, for nautical and shooting sports. OK quality for most of them over 100€. I won't cover them since they aren't intended for country or urban hiking. Just see how they look.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #22 on: March 22, 2017, 07:30:54 AM
The spy monoculars

Eschenbach Club M 8x16

129€

Minox MD 8x16

109€

Minox MD 6x16

99€

Vixen 6x16

79€

These are "spy" monoculars of small size. Most have small eye relief, easy focusing, short focus of 1-1.5 meters. Similar to the Nikons High Grades, which are better. But these are still far better than many Chinese copies. For a spy Monocular I would choose the Docter for better quality but these gadgets are easier to use. Better for indoor use (museums, opera etc). I trust Minox more than Eschenbach.

http://www.astroshop.eu/eschenbach-monocular-club-m-8x16/p,1797#tab_bar_1_select

http://www.astroshop.eu/minox-monocular-md-8x16/p,5140#tab_bar_1_select

« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 07:34:56 AM by kkokkolis »

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #23 on: March 22, 2017, 07:42:38 AM
Opticron 8x20 & 4x12 Macrofocus

89€

The bottom monocular pricewise I would choose. Very good shortfocus. Mediocre eye relief, but usable. Some reflections. I have mine in the car permanently. There is a boisting stand, similar to the Vixen's, that I don't have.

http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/gallery_scope.htm

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #24 on: March 22, 2017, 07:46:55 AM
These are the originals (together with the Seibert Emoskop which is Galilean and vintage).

There are many copies of these, under the names of Eschenbach, Steiner, Opticron, Vanguard, Omegon etc, which I won't discuss, unless you can't afford one of the above. They usually have worse optics and eye relief. But some of them are usable. I just never used them, so you'll have to take the risk.

There are also the classic Zeiss style porros, which you can get from eBay (vintage) and many, mostly Russian copies of these. They are good (with a yellow tint usually) but their shape isn't good for a pocket. Most are of medium size, 8x30. Good for hunters. I like mine from KOMZ, but I don't carry it.

There are also the telescopic ones, the "pirate" glasses. I have an excellent for Russia (which is zoom also) but they are big and not pocketable.

Generally avoid zoom monoculars.

The expert of the monocular world is this guy here:

http://www.monocular.info

« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 07:54:47 AM by kkokkolis »

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: March 22, 2017, 09:15:55 AM
Thanks a lot! You went above and beyond on this one, kkokkolis! I really appreciate it. This is the best kind of MT.o post(s).  :like:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #26 on: March 22, 2017, 10:58:32 AM
Well, how much would you spend?

I'll link some photos of my portable optics, just for good sense bragging purposes and as teasers.

You can see the Docter C, the Leica Ultravid (as a binocular), the Seibert Emoskop, the KOMZ Zenica, the KOMZ Zeiss 8x30 clone, the Opticron Galleryscope and other optics. A Cardiologist friend has the Zeiss T*, the Vixen ED and some others.
Terrestrial Optics 2015 MTO.jpg
* Terrestrial Optics 2015 MTO.jpg (Filesize: 438.14 KB)
dbe8c8a2a35f88c6ba815d070c26d8d4.jpg
* dbe8c8a2a35f88c6ba815d070c26d8d4.jpg (Filesize: 69.57 KB)
567e9e05c6a30161305aa4be91575a4e.jpg
* 567e9e05c6a30161305aa4be91575a4e.jpg (Filesize: 44.42 KB)
bc818820661223e61c11a2cd5f9e2819.jpg
* bc818820661223e61c11a2cd5f9e2819.jpg (Filesize: 80.1 KB)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 11:27:42 AM by kkokkolis »

Reply #27 on: March 22, 2017, 11:42:52 AM
Wow, thanks kkokkolis! This is amazing! I will need to check the details later (as I'm in work right now) and I will reply then!

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: March 22, 2017, 04:25:11 PM
I'm thinking of the Zeiss 6x18 or 4x12 T* myself, mostly for ease of use with lower magnification compared to the 8×.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 04:29:22 PM by Steinar »

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #29 on: March 22, 2017, 10:51:11 PM
That's a perfect choice. For the money, the 6x18 is the better one, brighter and with shorter focus. The 4x12 is smaller, but the 6x18 is small already, a perfect EDC. Optical quality leaves nothing to be desired. Apparent field of view is just 40 degrees but you see them all at once because of great eye relief. With most other monoculars (and all I have, except the Zenica, which is also 40 degrees) you see maybe the central 35 and need to move your eyeball around to get the rest. Colors are bright and precise and you get a 3D phenomenon (despite being a monocular) because of the depth of field. It has the fastest focusing I have ever tried, but it is precise and you can fine tune with just one hand. You get from eternity to 30cm almost immediately. Fasr focus is what you need in an urban or forest enviroment. In open  horizon it's  not crucial, but when you have to read a roadsign or a observe a bird on a tree, you need it. Try it to concerts, theater, etc. And also the zoo and museums.
Don't look your wife's skin with it that close, that might frighten you (unless you need to study a mole and you are a physician).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 10:53:08 PM by kkokkolis »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD