Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Monoculars?

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Re: Monoculars?
Reply #30 on: March 23, 2017, 10:49:44 AM
Thanks a lot! You went above and beyond on this one, kkokkolis! I really appreciate it. This is the best kind of MT.o post(s).  :like:

+ 1 on everything Steinar said  :hatsoff:

Can you recommend a place for me to check out some monoculars (or maybe some small binoculars too)?
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #31 on: March 23, 2017, 01:12:55 PM
You can see some binoculars in our astronomy shop in Athens http://www.planitario.gr/ but, unfortuntely they don't have many, neither good monoculars at shop. They sell Zeiss, Kowa and Vixen, among others, but they don't stock, you'll have to order.
Photoshops in the center of the city sell Nikon, Canon and Leica.
https://www.lamnia.com/el/sc/155/%CE%BA%CF%85%CE%BD%CE%AE%CE%B3%CE%B9-%CE%BA%CE%B1%CE%B9-%CF%83%CE%BA%CE%BF%CF%80%CE%BF%CE%B2%CE%BF%CE%BB%CE%AE/%CE%BA%CE%B9%CE%AC%CE%BB%CE%B9%CE%B1?mid=365
https://www.katerelos.gr/category/310_300/kyalia-kyalia.html?sort=3d
They usually don't stock.
The best selection in Europe is on the German Astroshop.
http://www.astroshop.eu/binoculars/20/a,Fernglaeser.Leistung.Bauart=Monocular?sort=2&size=2
You can make up your mind from there and then search the store that has it at a better price. In Greece we have the Skroutz.
http://www.skroutz.gr/c/1321/dioptres.html?keyphrase=%CE%BC%CE%BF%CE%BD%CE%BF%CE%BA%CF%85%CE%B1%CE%BB%CE%B9&from=autocomplete

Most mono/binoculars that are sold are junk. You have to study frst. If you want, we'll discuss binoculars also. There, the selection is 100x, so we have to define the kind of use first.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #32 on: March 24, 2017, 10:13:29 AM
:ahhh  :ahhh  :D   :tu:

I'd spotted Planitario and I was wondering. The problem is I'm not going to part with more than 100-150€ easily and it's hard to find good optics in that range. I'm picky you see! I like good construction quality and a close focus at about 30cm -I like that feature.

I think I may go for the Opticron, like the one you keep in your car. Mmm, tempting.

I also like the Minox Macroscope MS 8x25, it has good specs and it's not too bulky (but how does one focus with this one?!).

Do you think my astigmatism (~2 degrees on each eye) would be a problem?

Binoculars, I like them but: they're bulky and I find I rarely can get a nice, uniform field of vision with the bigger ones. Some of the smaller, more compact ones work better for me. I'd use them in urban environment but also when hiking. The best ones I've tried were some big, heavy ones intended for marine use. I don't remember the maker but they were :drool: . But this discussion probably belongs in a different thread, right? :)

Show content
Oh, about Lamnia, unless I missed something, it's a Finnish webstore. I found that out when I got my Glock entrenching tool from them; it was the only place listing it in Greek! firiki recommends Lamnia, by the way. I was amazed by how vast the site was and wondered :think: where they were based. Don't go dreaming of handling all the goodies they list, unless you are in Santa Claus' land  :cry:

:salute:

« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 10:22:06 AM by firiki »

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #33 on: March 24, 2017, 12:59:07 PM
With your astigmatism, you should wear your eyeglasses, otherwise you'll get a blur. Unless you use contact lenses and then you may benefit by the cheaper monoculars with less eye relief.
There are also small binoculars. See the Leica above?
The Minox Macroscop uses a focusing ring. It is easier to use it with the opposite hand, but some people say that they can do it with a finger of the same hand. I was between it and the Opticron and I can say that the Opticron is smaller, easier to use, but the optics quality left me wanting (I'm spoiled by my other optics, you might not notice anything).
About Lamnia, thanks for the info. They probably used a Greek guy for translation and not Google Translate as others do. Their Greek seem perfect. That's good, because my Finnish are non existent.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 01:01:44 PM by kkokkolis »

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #34 on: March 25, 2017, 12:29:38 AM
I had the opportunity to try the Zeiss 6x18 and the Vixen Artes HR 6x21 ED. In short, they are both excellent, sharing their optical virtues with the Leica and the Docter (which is the only one with mediocre eye relief). Everyone has its merits, but, overall, I would choose the Zeiss. Leica and Vixen would be better for humid and dangerous conditions though, and the Docter is the best microscope.
My friend, which came to see the Jupiter with my telescopes, brought with him a nice selection of torches. I liked them and maybe I'll get one myself.
2017-03-24 22.32.06.jpeg
* 2017-03-24 22.32.06.jpeg (Filesize: 42.8 KB)
2017-03-24 22.22.06.jpeg
* 2017-03-24 22.22.06.jpeg (Filesize: 40.8 KB)

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #35 on: March 25, 2017, 09:51:57 AM
Corrected images.
2017-03-24 22.22.06.jpg
* 2017-03-24 22.22.06.jpg (Filesize: 54.62 KB)
2017-03-24 22.32.06.jpg
* 2017-03-24 22.32.06.jpg (Filesize: 55.89 KB)

gr Offline firiki

Reply #36 on: March 27, 2017, 10:24:07 PM
The Zeiss and the Vixen seem bigger than what I expected (that's what she etc etc ::)). I wear glasses but I hate using mono/binoculars wearing them. Usually, if the instrument at hand is any good I can get a decent enough image.

My only problem with compact binoculars (other than price), is size. Monoculars are easier to carry in a pocket or a bag. That Opticron is growing on me... :ahhh

In order to have a steady image, do I need a wide eye relief or a wide frontal lens (or both), please?

I completely understand why Lamnia fooled you, it got me as well!

Is the silver torch on the right a Convoy? I think you can have those custom made.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #37 on: March 27, 2017, 11:15:03 PM
I am a complete ignorant regarding torches.

Steady image depends on:

1. Magnification. The lower it is, the steadier. 6-7x are steady, 8x is steady for most people, 10x for less, over this you need a tripod.
2. Exit pupil. The bigger, the better. 6-7 are very good (even for floating boats), 4-5 are good, 2-3 are difficult (they give blackouts), avoid 1mm. Most monoculars have 3mm, binoculars 3-7mm.
3. Stabilization methods
a) IS (Image Stabilization, expensive technology from Canon, Fujinon/Nikon and Zeiss, but not for monoculars)
b) Tripod. Not for monoculars. When you use a tripod, you are in Spotting Scope territory
c) Technique. Rest your monocular holding  hand on the bones around your eye (supraorbital and zygomatic). That works all the time.
4. You. Parkinsonism, Thyroid and idiopathic tremors, alcohol, tic disorders etc are the opposite of the IS.

Wide eye relief helps with eyeglasses and makes a difference, something like looking through a window vs looking through a keyhole (or soda straw). In fact the differences aren't that extreme, but you get the idea. Also, with wide eye relief (usually it comes with a wide aperture occular lens), when you give the monocular to your sweetheart, you won't get it back with maskara stuck on it for ever.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #38 on: March 30, 2017, 11:55:17 AM
Thank you for this wealth of useful information, I appreciate it :cheers:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #39 on: March 30, 2017, 07:38:56 PM
All I got was a cheap $8 one to toss in my bag, must say not to bad.
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #40 on: April 16, 2017, 05:04:28 PM
JR

I'm rather out of my depth in this discussion of optics. I have an $11 Barska monocular that has suited the occasional use I've put it to. Most recently used it to get a closer look at a herd of elk I encountered while traveling through part of North Carolina.

It's reasonably compact and, at this price range, I won't cry if I lose or break it.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #41 on: April 16, 2017, 08:04:58 PM
JR

I'm rather out of my depth in this discussion of optics. I have an $11 Barska monocular that has suited the occasional use I've put it to. Most recently used it to get a closer look at a herd of elk I encountered while traveling through part of North Carolina.

(Image removed from quote.)

It's reasonably compact and, at this price range, I won't cry if I lose or break it.
That looks almost identical to mine, just mines only a 8x21, came in handy once and I had no beef..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #42 on: April 17, 2017, 09:28:01 AM
They work, as long as you won't look through a premium, or even midrange, monocular and get spoiled.

Alex Verg

Reply #43 on: September 18, 2017, 11:32:10 AM
Hi, here are some good options(https://www.bestadvisers.co.uk/monoculars) - there is as for camping and for hunting. But I would advise you to pay attention to these:

1) The smallest convenient and correspondingly cheap - Veber Sport 12x25 BR - costs about 20 bucks. Veber generally well proven in optics. If you do not need a lot - then this is an excellent choice.

2)The next great model is Yukon NVMT Spartan. It's just candy costs about 150-200 bucks, but it does a lot of things. In fact, this is a night vision device that will allow you to view a picture at night for a distance of up to 150 meters. This is certainly not the main plus, but a pretty cool improvement of the conventional monocular. The main plus of this model is the ability to use as an objective. I travel quite often and I really like the fact that I can take photos of very remote objects. True, take into account that shooting at night is possible, but the quality will be much worse than during the day. (Yes, I'm using this monocular)

3)Well, the latest model is a little expensive, but extremely useful for those who go hiking in the mountains - Minox MD 6x16 A. This is directly a tourist monocular. The advantages of the device are obvious. In the metal case of very compact dimensions and an unusual shape for the optics in the form of a bar, an altimeter, a thermometer, a clock and a stopwatch are built in. For fans of the highlands, the best option is not even think of. The obvious minus is the price of 250 bucks (or so).

In general, I think of all this, you'll choose something)

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #44 on: September 18, 2017, 12:10:40 PM
Minox is a nice little gadget.

Alex Verg

Reply #45 on: September 18, 2017, 12:51:48 PM
Minox is a nice little gadget.
Yes, but too expensive as for me)

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #46 on: September 18, 2017, 01:24:27 PM
The "strictly optical" version goes for 100.

It's the obvious choice for those who wear a Suunto, Casio, Garmin, or similar watch with ABC sensors.

The Docter I EDC lies flat and you bend it in order to use it. It has better optics (and a higher price).

The Seibert Emoscope was made by the man who made the famous Minox 8x11 spy camera lenses.

The problems with cheap monoculars are: internal stopping of aperture (makes them darker than they should be), chromatic aberrations, lots of astigmatism and a selection of other optical aberrations, according to the model.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 01:32:17 PM by kkokkolis »

Alex Verg

Reply #47 on: September 18, 2017, 01:27:43 PM
The "strictly optical" version goes for 100.

It's the obvious choice for those who wear a Suunto, Casio, Garmin, or similar watch with ABC sensors.

(Image removed from quote.)
Heh, I did not even know that there is one like this) One of the travelers with whom I met in the Crimea, owned one with all this electric stuff.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #48 on: September 18, 2017, 02:23:30 PM
I use my Suunto for that. An MTO member might even have the Altimeter, Voyager, Traveler or XAVT SAK at hand. Then he only "needs" the plain vanilla Minox.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #49 on: April 23, 2018, 09:45:42 PM
Topic necro!  :)
I’m looking to get a monocular(right word?) for a relative for their birthday.
This is the link they sent me:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078L2ZXNR/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_api_vNy3AbESPWP8F
I have my doubts about it......

I seen all the good monoculars that have been suggested in this thread, but are there any “sort of good” options for under $100? They don’t want anything more expensive than that.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #50 on: April 23, 2018, 09:52:17 PM
Doesn't Luger do a fairly beefy one that's not too expensive?  :think:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: April 23, 2018, 10:05:50 PM
I know nothing about Luger or Monoculars. :facepalm: :D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 10:07:18 PM by Pablo O'Brien »

All hail the hook!

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #52 on: April 23, 2018, 10:21:29 PM
I used to have two Lugers that were alright, but I've just had a quick Google there and... to be honest there's loads of stuff that looks more appealing!  :facepalm:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: May 02, 2018, 07:56:04 PM
Manufacturers page:
https://www.celestron.com/products/oceana-8x42-monocular
Minimum focusing distance 13m.
The 5.25mm exit pupil seems like a good size.
and 18mm eye relief?

All hail the hook!

Offline Gene

Reply #55 on: June 03, 2018, 08:52:47 PM
Corrected images.

I realize this is an older thread but kkokkolis pictures and positive mentions of the little Seibert EMOscop here and on another monocular thread really intrigued me. I'm a sucker for small optics and this lttle combination instrument looked so appealing.

I went over to Ebay and there was one listed, (the original German model), in excellent condition for $40.00 and I couldn't help myself and went for it. Maybe $40.00 is high but it seemed fair to me for such a well made vintage item.

I can't wait to receive it and check it out. Here's a picture of it from the Ebay auction.

P.S. Thanks kkokkolis! I HOPE!  :D

image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 98.23 KB)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 11:42:26 PM by Gene »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #56 on: June 04, 2018, 01:48:38 AM
Here are the 2 that I have. I  bought them for my range kit when I don't want to pack a terrestrial telescope.

The smaller one is a Brunton 7x18.

The larger one is a 10x25 Barska which I bought dirt cheap at a pawn shop.

Both require me to take my glasses off. I feel the Brunton is of higher quality as the image is slightly better, but I do like the larger magnification of the other, which makes reading my hits at 100 yards a little easier.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 01:52:15 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Offline Gene

Reply #57 on: June 05, 2018, 07:56:25 PM
Chako, I too have the same Brunton monocular. It's a pretty decent performer.

Offline Gene

Reply #58 on: June 15, 2018, 11:47:43 PM
I received the Seibert EMOscop the other day. I couldn't believe how small this thing is. It's in like new condition with only a very tiny crack in the smooth black leather case.

The optics in this are incredible for such a vintage piece. Even wearing glasses the monocular, magnifier and "microscope" work great with everything appearing clear. It's a great vintage piece!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #59 on: September 01, 2018, 07:56:38 PM
Do you use it? Did you try the microscope functions? Do you know that you can built a transparent stand out of a ln antibiotics dosage cup (and a SAK)? Having it at hand, you can check signs on the road, read tables, check slides during presentations, read fine print. As a microscope, it takes advantage of a nice LED torch you might have. Look at coins, banknotes, insects, sand, knife edges.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%