Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Center-Drive vs Leatherman OHT

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
on: March 21, 2017, 02:52:21 PM
We all saw Gerber's marketing surrounding the release of the Center-Drive, and amongst the images of tattooed craftsmen re-imagining old world techniques and blending in modern technology, we saw the Center-Drive compared to both the Wave and the OHT.  While Gerber's marketing may have been over the top, I don't think it was any worse than Leatherman showing soldiers carrying the OHT, despite the OHT never having been issues to troops anywhere, despite it having been designed specifically to try an usurp Gerber's hold on sliding head plier tool contracts with the military.

I guess what I am saying, is that when you cut out the marketer bullpoo and actually concentrate on the tools themselves, which one is better?  Are they both hype, or are they both on the level?  Or, one of each?

As it is well known that I really like the Center-Drive and really dislike the OHT, I am going to keep my opinions out of it, and just point out the facts and score objectively, so that each of you can decide what would work best for you.

PART 1- Tale of the Tape

Gerber Center-Drive-

Leatherman One Hand Tool-

Center-Drive:
MSRP: $119.00 - $132.00 depending on bit set, bit set model as tested is $132.00
Weight: 280.4g
Length: 120.69mm
Width: 48.29mm
Depth: 24.08mm
Number of functions: 16

OHT:
MSRP: $79.95-$89.95 depending on color, Coyote Tan model as tested is $89.95
Weight: 274.1mm
Length: 115.94mm
Width: 47.13mm
Depth: 21.55
Number of functions: 16

Score:

Leatherman 3
Gerber 0

Part 1 Summary:

Leatherman wins on size, weight and price, giving them three points to Gerber's zero.  The size was not a major win for Leatherman, as in some cases it was less than half of a millimeter smaller, but it was overall smaller.  The OHT was also lighter by 6.3g, which for those that aren't familiar with grams, is about 1/5oz, or the weight of a quarter.  Still, a narrow victory is still a victory.

With regards to pricing, the Center-Drive in this test is the top of the range model, which includes the bit set and larger sheath.  However, as the sheaths and bit sets will not be part of this testing at any level, the Center Drive could be reduced to the cheaper version, as the tool itself is identical.  Even comparing the cheapest version of the Center-Drive to the top of the range OHT (which is also the case), the OHT still wins by a wide margin of roughly $29 in the difference.

Stay tuned for Part 2 tomorrow!

Def
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 02:56:47 PM by Grant Lamontagne »
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Re: Gerber Center-Drive vs Leatherman OHT
Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 03:01:25 PM
:popcorn:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 03:07:10 PM
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 03:27:34 PM
Sometimes the input of members is a bit overwhelming.....  :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 03:43:18 PM
I would love to jump in on the side of the Center Drive...Especially since it was a last minute gift from my Wifey for Christmas when originally I was on the fence due to cost. However I cannot since I don't own an OHT..I will say that the Center Drive has lived up to the Advertisements and I love the Bit Solution that Gerber went with..When it comes to Weight and Size it definitely is right up there..Just as big and heavy as a Swisstool or Leatherman Supertool
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 03:49:40 PM
Sometimes the input of members is a bit overwhelming.....  :facepalm:

Def
should I have put two popcorns???  :popcorn: :popcorn:

It should be interesting to see the comparison of the two like this. Some features of the Center Drive would be better compared to the Wave, and some would be better compared to the OHT. Leatherman has nothing really exactly like the center drive I their lineup, but the OHT is similar because of the sliding pliers, and is good to see a comparison because it was used in the gerber ad. I would also enjoy seeing this type of comparison with the surge, which seems to be Leatherman's more "high tech industrial tool" and may be meant for more of the same purposes as the center drive, while the OHT was aimed more at the military/military enthusiasts, as you said. I think for hard use, the center drive will win easily, but the OHT may win in some other areas, not the driver or length of tool implements of course, but maybe just the convenience factor of everything being OHO. Please excuse any bad grammar in the paragraph above as I try to make sense of my thoughts on this topic.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 03:52:26 PM
Now it should get interesting :dd: Can't wait to see the pics and the head to head :tu: I can't believe that they are so differently priced though :o I like the look of both but have neither and price would be a big deciding factor for me but I am anxious to see how each performs  :like: :like:

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 04:30:33 PM
Waiting for the follow-up!

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 04:37:41 PM
The Center Drive with no bit set is $85.94 on Amazon, which is more comparable to the OHT.

I'll have to support the CD on this one. Drivers, it wins, pliers, it wins, blade, it wins. That is enough to break the dilemmas of line cutter vs awl, pry bottle opener vs can and bottle opener, and file vs saw.

I'd rather have the CD with me than the OHT. I do not mind the minuscule weight difference, and the size is a sacrifice I'd be willing to make, for what I get.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 05:09:31 PM by ReamerPunch »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 04:50:43 PM
You are always going to get deals.  I could look on eBay and find even better pricing, or I could get used ones for a fraction of the price etc, so the only fair way to compare them on price is to use MSRP.

Def

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 05:38:31 PM
I purposely got an OHT so I could do a comparison review between it and the center-drive. Seems great minds think a like,  just wish I'd jumped on it quicker.   :oops:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 05:40:03 PM
We just like popcorn...
:nothingtoadd:

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 06:02:00 PM

Having both, I have to admit that I do like the Center drive better.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 06:18:23 PM
I purposely got an OHT so I could do a comparison review between it and the center-drive. Seems great minds think a like,  just wish I'd jumped on it quicker.   :oops:

I am very interested in hearing your results too Dave- I am not now, nor have I ever been the be all, end all voice on this site.  A forum isn't much good without input from everyone.  :D

Def

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 10:27:44 PM

I am very interested in hearing your results too Dave- I am not now, nor have I ever been the be all, end all voice on this site.  A forum isn't much good without input from everyone.  :D

Def
I think both tools are decent tools but one is definitely heads above the other. Even though the Leatherman OHT is lighter and small I feel the sheath that comes with it sucks. I've ended up putting mine in my SOG Powerassist sheath. I do wish it came with a better one, maybe even horizontal carry would be nice. I've eyed the sheath someone made to copy the one used in Jurassic World but the price is steep, maybe not so for a custom case. Course it's got authenticity papers and serialized or something. Hands down the Center-drive sheath is better for various reasons. It supports verticle and horizontal carry and has a much stronger Velcro closure. It doesn't hold the included bit kit real well but beggars cannot be choosers.

As you do your episodes I'll add my two cents; I have used both tools like you and have pit them against one another.  I know my verdict but I await to see if you come to the same conclusion.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 10:56:53 PM
At the risk of spoiling things, tomorrow I'll be comparing the pliers on both tools to see how they stack up.

Def

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #16 on: March 21, 2017, 11:03:27 PM
;p

I only have the OHT, but it's too bulky/hefty for carry.  It rides in our Jeep.  I like the looks of the CD, but knowing it's just as bulky/heavy, I wouldn't carry it.  It could ride in our other vehicle though, so maybe someday if I'm tempted enough.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #17 on: March 21, 2017, 11:04:04 PM
The convenience of outside accessible implements on the OHT is undeniable. Just a matter of time when LM sacrifices 2 tools of the same side for a long-reach, on-center Philips, plus adding a flat bid driver, then it is game over for the Center Drive.

I do not have a Center Drive, and I do not like the OHT.  :P

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: March 21, 2017, 11:07:56 PM
You say that, but the one thing no one mentions with the OHT is that while everything is accessible one handed, you still need two hands because half the tools are accessible with the left and half are accessible with the right.

Kind of like the way Leatherman promotes one handed opening on the Charge, Skeletool and Wave models but neglect to mention that they are only one handed opening if you are right handed.

Def

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: March 21, 2017, 11:54:35 PM
You say that, but the one thing no one mentions with the OHT is that while everything is accessible one handed, you still need two hands because half the tools are accessible with the left and half are accessible with the right.

Kind of like the way Leatherman promotes one handed opening on the Charge, Skeletool and Wave models but neglect to mention that they are only one handed opening if you are right handed.

Def

I so disagree.
I'm left handed and I have no problem opening (or closing) every tool on the OHT or Charge etc with either hand.
For your off side, lift and start with the index finger and finish with the thumb.
To close, press liner lock with middle finger, start with index finger and finish with thumb.
If tool deployment is an issue then maybe that person shouldn't be the one fixing whatever is broke.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: March 22, 2017, 12:00:51 AM
For tools that open on my non strong side, a spydie flick (use middle finger to flick it open) works every time. I can actually deploy most of the tools on the bottomside faster than I can the top.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 12:03:20 AM by gdoolittle »

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #21 on: March 22, 2017, 12:04:14 AM
On the Center Drive, do you have to slide open the pliers to get access to the tools on the handles?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: March 22, 2017, 12:05:23 AM
On the Center Drive, do you have to slide open the pliers to get access to the tools on the handles?

Some, yes. The internal tools.

Def

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #23 on: March 22, 2017, 02:45:31 AM
I'm also on team Gerber. While I haven't handled a CenterDrive (yet) I have had a couple OHT's, and vastly preferred my MP600's to it.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline leathermon

• Better to have a tool, than be a tool.
Reply #24 on: March 22, 2017, 06:18:03 AM
This is why so many different models are made by each company,  different strokes for different folks.  I will start by saying that I actually like the center drive. However I really like the sheath on the oht better. I really like how the oht fits and sits in my hand when using it. I prefer the pliers on the oht, they have better action opening and closing. That said I think they are both great well made tools, and both have a place on my person.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 06:19:13 AM by leathermon »

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: March 22, 2017, 06:42:57 AM

Def
I'm shocked  this isn't mentioned or talked about. It's an absoloute deal breaker for me personally. It's a extra step for nearly everything you will want to do with the tools. I don't get it  :think:

It's the reason I can't edc a supertool. But worse.  >:D
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: March 22, 2017, 07:08:17 AM

Def
I'm shocked  this isn't mentioned or talked about. It's an absoloute deal breaker for me personally. It's a extra step for nearly everything you will want to do with the tools. I don't get it  :think:

Don't you edc a Rebar...       :D   :rofl:

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: March 22, 2017, 07:28:59 AM

Def

Don't you edc a Rebar...       :D   :rofl:
I do. Very simple locking mechanism. For me to get a tool open and useable in either tool, it is a very different process feel. Almost night and day. I'd like to hear others experience regarding this issue, I could be out on a limb here,  but I doubt it...

Could just be my muscle memory with Leathermans.  :D
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #28 on: March 22, 2017, 08:35:14 AM
If you aren't right handed, you are wrong handed.  :whistle:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: March 22, 2017, 09:37:21 AM
Interesting comparison boss, and an interesting discussion so far as well.  I don't won either tool so I'll keep out of it other than to say I'd not expected the CD to be bigger for some reason. :think:  Anyone able to weigh in an say how either of these compare to a regular MP600?
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD
88%