Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Center-Drive vs Leatherman OHT

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Re: Gerber Center-Drive vs Leatherman OHT
Reply #90 on: March 30, 2017, 11:30:05 PM
My brother is diehard ST300er and he is hard to impress.
However GCD was love at the first sight to him. Now the ST is in his draw and GCD on his belt.
The 1/4" driver opens up a world of possibility for him.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #91 on: March 31, 2017, 12:30:42 AM
That was a good read! Many thanks Boss :salute:

I think I'm getting a bit jaded with multitool design.

I really like the OHT,and I should carry it far more than I do. To begin with,I was very anti the design,and if I'm honest,I'm still not sure why LM felt the need to do a flicky plier tool. Having used it,and reviewed it,I rather fell for it,but here's the two kickers...

One: my OHT was a prize won here. I really doubt I'd ever pay the UK price for one.
Two: it's tool load is limited. In fact it reminded me of the PST. There's other tools out there for the money that have greater utility,with less 'trendiness'

Oh,and I'm happy opening all the tools right handed. Not so happy closing them though ;)

I can't say I'd ever be over interested in the Center Drive. One of my (very) personal bugbears with bit drivers is that no matter how long they are,the size of the socket stops them penetrating to recessed screw heads. Other than that,I can't see how the CD is bringing anything new to the Gerber family.

Maybe I'll win one and change my mind :dd:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #92 on: March 31, 2017, 01:29:09 AM
Leatherman did a sliding plier head tool to try and steal some of the military contracts that call for a sliding head plier tool.  Many military agencies like the Gerbers, but they can't only open a contract to only one manufacturer, so they stipulated something in the contract that would take the other competitors out thanks to Gerber's patent.

When the patent expired, Leatherman had the OHT already designed and ready to go, so they could get right on stealing those contracts.

Except that the OHT is much more expensive, bulkier and with no significant improvements over the MP600, which kind of defeats the purpose of having it in the first place.   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #93 on: March 31, 2017, 02:55:15 AM
Leatherman did a sliding plier head tool to try and steal some of the military contracts that call for a sliding head plier tool.  Many military agencies like the Gerbers, but they can't only open a contract to only one manufacturer, so they stipulated something in the contract that would take the other competitors out thanks to Gerber's patent.

When the patent expired, Leatherman had the OHT already designed and ready to go, so they could get right on stealing those contracts.

Except that the OHT is much more expensive, bulkier and with no significant improvements over the MP600, which kind of defeats the purpose of having it in the first place.   :facepalm:

Def

For some reason this story makes me smile every time it's told.

Show content
Probably because the MP600 rules and the OHT eats  :hatsoff:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #94 on: March 31, 2017, 03:59:03 AM
Well, it gets better.... Leatherman tried to out-Gerber Gerber and lost.

When Gerber tried to out-Leatherman the folks at Leatherman, Leatherman lost. 

http://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=MPT

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #95 on: March 31, 2017, 11:20:57 AM
Like kirky I would have to win a CD.   :dd:
I really dig the MP600 and I've just gone thirty days straight with the OHT.
IMO sliding pliers is win.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #96 on: March 31, 2017, 11:29:43 AM

Why do you think that? I can see some cases where sliding pliers are advantageous but in general I feel the usual, butterfly opening style MTs are more versatile when it comes to using the rest of the implements.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #97 on: March 31, 2017, 11:44:18 AM

Why do you think that? I can see some cases where sliding pliers are advantageous but in general I feel the usual, butterfly opening style MTs are more versatile when it comes to using the rest of the implements.

Easier to disengage a jam. Deployment. Jaws open wider. Simple strong design. Different handle pivots.

I also like sog's geared pliers but feel the rest of their tool design lets them down.

Totally understand butterfly openers have their good points, just found once I put some wear on them they can be annoying.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #98 on: March 31, 2017, 12:53:11 PM

Easier to disengage a jam. Deployment. Jaws open wider. Simple strong design. Different handle pivots.

I also like sog's geared pliers but feel the rest of their tool design lets them down.

Totally understand butterfly openers have their good points, just found once I put some wear on them they can be annoying.

Agreed on pliers, I don't get different handle pivots, could you explain?

Butterfly style, you mean like the handles loosening and moving around freely?

Good thing I'm a SAK/knife guy and sold on my Swisstools so don't intend to look any further :ahhh (unless something catches my attention).

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #99 on: March 31, 2017, 12:58:02 PM

Good thing I'm a SAK/knife guy and sold on my Swisstools so don't intend to look any further :ahhh (unless something catches my attention).
I hear the Schrade Tough Tool is a good one to get hold of  :pok:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gr Offline firiki

Reply #100 on: March 31, 2017, 01:02:43 PM

I don't trust you, magentus; you're probably just trying to get rid of the awl puns :D

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #101 on: March 31, 2017, 01:04:31 PM

I don't trust you, magentus; you're probably just trying to get rid of the awl puns :D
That's a scandawlous accusation.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #102 on: March 31, 2017, 01:14:26 PM

Yes, loosening or tightening up. Kids can struggle to access butterfly pliers. They'll happily play with sliding pliers though.

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #103 on: August 09, 2017, 05:43:24 PM
I've had MP600 for a really long time and I would say it is has been a love/hate relationship.  Gerber took good care me then it broke, once.  I like the over all feel of the tool with only two exceptions.  The center drive seems to have fixed one of my issues.  I'm '"real" tool person.  If turning a fastener with a multi tool feels awkward I'm reaching for a proper tool or wishing I had one.  I need to know, is the Center Drive as comfortable to use as Gerber makes it out to be?  My biggest gripe is the MP600 pinches my hand when cutting wire.  I would like to think that Gerber solved that problem long ago, but as a rule,  I don't take things for granted when I can help it.  Some one please tell me that's fixed.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 05:48:13 PM by Scorpion Regent »

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #104 on: August 11, 2017, 07:16:22 PM
It's fixed, at least with my hands  :D
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!