Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why do you think Vic did away with the small clip point?

us Offline Enginears

Was it embracing their signature blade style more? Manufacturing process related? Aesthetics? I like the small blade and am curious about this part of the evolution.

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Why do you think Vic did away with the small clip point?
Reply #1 on: October 28, 2023, 01:29:17 AM
I thought the small clip was a Wenger feature!
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 28, 2023, 02:07:42 AM

1970.jpg
* 1970.jpg (Filesize: 116.34 KB)

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #3 on: October 28, 2023, 02:16:17 AM
I seem to remember a small clip on the Tinker I had in my teens in the mid sixties.  I used to use that blade a lot and seldom opened the main blade.

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 28, 2023, 02:18:31 AM
      Vic made lots of knives with large clip blades as well.  Clip blades equal stabbing type weapons?  Large clip blades look more menacing, I suppose.  Small clip blades are just a vestige of a more aggressive tool.  Boy Scout folders had spear point type blades like the Vics have now.  So did things like the old Kamp Kings.  Looked safer to some one? 
     The photo is 53 years old.  I actually prefer a clip point if it comes down to that.  Personal opinion only.  Of course.  Best wishes.  G

au Offline Echotech

Reply #5 on: October 28, 2023, 02:31:43 AM
Can’t say I know the answer but here’s some cadets (II’s), two with clip points and one with a spear point

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 28, 2023, 02:35:37 AM
One more old photo from the same catalog.  Anybody have a camper like this?  Just for entertainment value.  Looks rather useful to me.  Best wishes.  G

old camper.jpg
* old camper.jpg (Filesize: 133.3 KB)

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #7 on: October 28, 2023, 03:12:27 AM
Can’t say I know the answer but here’s some cadets (II’s), two with clip points and one with a spear point

:like:

The wiki mentions:
All 91mm SAKs prior to 1973 had a clip-point style small blade.
However this design was dropped in 1973 in favor of using the drop-point design - in line with the main blade.
Some Victorinox manuals and catalogs refer to this as an Angle Blade.

Same for 84s - 1973.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 03:20:24 AM by Bunk Tuppins »

au Offline Echotech

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 28, 2023, 02:16:23 PM
 :iagree: :like:

My old five turn hoffritz/Victoria climber has a small clip blade.
It’s a bit of a head scratcher though because it’s from the 70s but it has scissors from the 80s but then it’s also stamped Victoria on one side and hoffritz on the other  :think:
It’s awlso missing the TNT :ahhh

us Offline Enginears

Reply #10 on: October 28, 2023, 04:55:25 PM
One more old photo from the same catalog.  Anybody have a camper like this?  Just for entertainment value.  Looks rather useful to me.  Best wishes.  G
  [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]

That looks amazingly useful! Harvest some plants and mushrooms, saw some sticks to make a tripod, carve a pot hanger and open a can of beans and bottle of beer. Camping perfection, thanks for bringing up that image.

Vic made lots of knives with large clip blades as well.  Clip blades equal stabbing type weapons?  Large clip blades look more menacing, I suppose.  Small clip blades are just a vestige of a more aggressive tool.  Boy Scout folders had spear point type blades like the Vics have now.  So did things like the old Kamp Kings.  Looked safer to some one? 
     The photo is 53 years old.  I actually prefer a clip point if it comes down to that.  Personal opinion only.  Of course.  Best wishes.  G

Yeah the clip point from the 100mm knives looks pretty aggressive, but its so nice to use. I am with you that I would prefer a clip point.

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 28, 2023, 05:45:29 PM
    My grandfather used to carry an old big multi-bladed knife with different types of tools on it.  The handles were long gone.  I don't know where he got it, or what it was.  Maybe he picked it up in WWI France.  One more old photo with clip blades.  All Vics.  Best wishes.  G

big clips.jpg
* big clips.jpg (Filesize: 81.79 KB)

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #12 on: October 28, 2023, 11:06:33 PM
If you have a grinding wheel or a Dremel, that is an easy fix. I do it on all my carried SAKs.
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

us Offline Enginears

Reply #13 on: October 29, 2023, 12:26:21 AM
If you have a grinding wheel or a Dremel, that is an easy fix. I do it on all my carried SAKs.

I thought about trying it. I probably will soon. Do you have some pics of the ones you have done?  Do you just use water to keep the blade cool as its ground?

us Offline boatman422

Reply #14 on: October 31, 2023, 12:17:47 AM
  [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]

Great pic. I have this exact one, slanted teeth on the wood saw and all: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,83731.msg2071845.html#msg2071845

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 31, 2023, 12:22:46 AM
That's it, Boats.  Got to be a rare bird.  Best wishes.  Gary
 :like:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: October 31, 2023, 07:02:42 PM
The blades are stamped out of sheet steel.  I can’t see how changing the shape from clip to spear would simplify the manufacturing.

The change over date of 1973 predates the more hysterical hoplophobia, and the clip point small blade doesn’t look particularly aggressive anyway.

I agree that if you can only have one blade, there is a strong argument for a clip point for all around utility.  However, they do tend to be narrower at the tip than spear point or some other designs, and so potentially more prone to tip breakage in careless or inexperienced hands.  So, perhaps reducing tip breakage/warranty work could be a reason for the change, though the SAK small clip isn’t very deep.

The only other theory that makes sense to me is that it was done for aesthetic purposes, i.e. someone at Vic thought large and small spear points looked better than large spear and small clip.

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #17 on: October 31, 2023, 10:19:42 PM
Enginears said:

"I thought about trying it. I probably will soon. Do you have some pics of the ones you have done?  Do you just use water to keep the blade cool as its ground?"

Grind slowly, cool a lot. SAK steel is easy to reshape.
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #18 on: October 31, 2023, 11:02:29 PM
The blades are stamped out of sheet steel.  I can’t see how changing the shape from clip to spear would simplify the manufacturing.

I think it has to do with a more ecomomical way of stamping the blades out of the sheet. The clip point design leaves more sheet steel leftovers than the spearpoint design. The new design also uses a tiny little bit less metal. That seems neclegtable, but as many million blades are produced, in the end it saves a lot of metal. And there is one angle less with the spear point, so polishing will  be somewhat easier.

Just my thoughts.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD