Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Where do you source 1/4 bits?

Offline bigraab1972

Where do you source 1/4 bits?
on: March 22, 2017, 05:23:30 PM
I'm sure I'm not alone when I say there are variances in the bits I've owned over the years. Some don't fit right, others are soft and smear when used. I really like the ones that came with my Victorinox ratchet, they seem to be a higher quality then others I've owned. Alas, I've lost a few and am trying to restock. Where do you guys get "good" bits?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Where do you source 1/4 bits?
Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 06:33:06 PM
From my employer...
Lol!
Seriously though, I've bought a set from Bosch for the mini bit ratchet that came with it and so far they're holding up quite well.
Bought it at a well known DIY store over here.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 09:57:27 AM
I think I saw some of those vic bits on ebay a few hours ago

fi Offline Padre

Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 10:05:14 AM
I also trust Bosch.
Their long bits are the best I have found out.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 12:33:42 PM
I buy bits whenever I see them and/or need them.  I have cheapo bits and I have good bits from Bosch, Stanley, Rigid, Mastercraft and a few others.  There are indeed some variances in quality, and many bits have found themselves flung across the room as a result, but then they are so cheap and plentiful that I generally consider them expendable.   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline bigraab1972

Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 12:54:54 PM
Thanks guys. I found a set on eBay from Victorinox. Ive tried the Irwin ones, as well as the Bosch, but none have ever held up or gripped as well as the vic ones. Thanks again!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 02:04:48 PM
I love my Vic and SOG bits, or the old LM Tool adaptor's bits over most others and use them 90% of the time. Other 10% of the use is from LM's flat bits

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 04:52:36 PM
Good quality bits I buy online from tool supply sites.  Though the last set I got were from work

Most of the time for light to medium duty use I just use the leatherman flat bits I carry with me, for anything more robust I'd get a proper tool for the job, either a dedicated screwdriver or a driver for the quality hex bits.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 04:53:37 PM by Kevin Davey »

Offline bigraab1972

Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 05:16:14 PM
Good quality bits I buy online from tool supply sites.  Though the last set I got were from work

Most of the time for light to medium duty use I just use the leatherman flat bits I carry with me, for anything more robust I'd get a proper tool for the job, either a dedicated screwdriver or a driver for the quality hex bits.

Can you give me a link perhaps? I really haven't had any luck with the flat bits, they twist and smear to easily for me. Once I  paired the VIC ratchet with all my EDC setups I never looked back. I even swapped the bit exchanger from my surge for a 3D Phillips so I could use the 1/4 inch bit exchanger instead. Thanks!

england Offline Kev D

Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 11:00:08 PM
You can't go wrong with impact ready bits, they can take a lot of stick. Not sure where in the world you are so here's a link for a deWalt set on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GMXFK3G/?tag=5to10review-20

us Offline cody6268

Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 11:16:57 PM
I carry a Chapman 1316 set instead of an MT that takes bits.  It is 1/4 drive.   My grandfather has a number of these sets that he'd broken the "midget" or ratchet on that I get the bits from if I lose them.

https://chapmanmfg.com/collections/all-tools/products/1316-all-purpose-set

As for the 1/4 bits I use, just about everywhere.  The tamperproof Torx I have are Irwin, sold as Lowe's Kobalt. As are most of what I have.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 11:33:02 PM by cody6268 »

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 11:17:19 PM
I do not use bits often. Most of the Torx drivers or bits, either purchased by my employer or supplied with cutting tools we bought, are Sanvik or Wiha. The security torx bits I bought to disassemble my LM tools are Wiha, a German brand. Expensive but well made with high precision. They outlast the same size bits from an American-made, budget bit sets. If you value your time, your screws, and your sanity, buy quality tools for the jobs.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 01:00:29 PM
+1 after breaking more bits and knackering more screws than I care to remember I buy Wera Impaktor bits now. A bit expensive but I haven't broken one yet :tu:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Online LoopCutter

Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 01:11:45 PM
A bit expensive but I haven't broken one yet :tu:
That is the truth, and well stated!

If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

dk Offline T14

• Embrace the SAK
Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 04:22:16 PM
I buy Wera and Wiha bits when available locally, and otherwise Bosch.
Cheap bits tend to slip, bend or break with my 10 thumbs and lack of finesse, so I gravitate towards tools that can take abuse in the stride.  :gimme:
-Tom
All I know is that I don't know anything - but I can't prove it!

Offline bigraab1972

Reply #15 on: March 24, 2017, 04:47:10 PM
Thanks for all the great info guys!

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 27, 2017, 02:41:51 AM
I use DeWalt and Kobalt (Lowes house brand) bits.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #17 on: March 27, 2017, 04:09:23 AM
I just used 5-point Wera bits to disassemble some old Leatherman tools last night (http://www.micro-tools.com/product.htm?pid=132057&cat=15545). I was able to get the screws out without heating up the locktite. The fit in both the 1/4" driver and the screw is perfect.

Those maintenance guys at my work also use German-made screwdrivers and hex keys (Allen wrenches). They laughed at Crapman stuffs.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: April 01, 2017, 12:09:12 PM
I get PB SwissTools bit  :D... I can buy them individually at the local hardware store.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: April 01, 2017, 02:52:44 PM
Gunsmithing screwdriver bits fit screws very well you can find them on Amazon. The higher priced sets hold up better. I bought a single action Colt set of bits years ago from Brownells they are holding up well.http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/screwdrivers-sets/magna-tip-bits/magna-tip-bits-prod501.aspx
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

Offline bigraab1972

Reply #20 on: April 01, 2017, 05:06:16 PM
Well......now I've got to get a set of those to go along with the weras haha thanks for all the great info!

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: April 01, 2017, 07:20:17 PM
I usually go with some cheap ones. I'm not a heavy user and I throw away bits that are starting to look worn out. Unlike some people I know who seem to like stripping screws, I'm looking at you grandpa...

I am looking at different solutions for carrying bits though and I can't seem to find anything I really like. Might end up trying my hand at designing something and having it 3D printed if I can't find anything.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%