Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Got a new laptop, Day one problem has a replacement on the way.

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
So, I was super happy when my new laptop arrived, as any computer geek would be.
I started with the usual task these days of making the recovery media, since manufacturers have stopped provided restore media.   :rant:

the laptop is awesome and here are the specs

Dell XPS 13 XPS9360-7336SLV

7th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U (4MB Cache, up to 3.5 GHz)
16GB LPDDR3 1866MHz
512GB PCIe Class 40 Solid State Drive
13.3 inch QHD+ (3200 x 1800) InfinityEdge touch display
60WHr Integrated Battery
Killer 1535 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.1
Windows 10 Home (64bit) English
Backlit Keyboard, English
Carbon Fiber palm rest area

as soon as I finished making the recovery flash drive, I started using the laptop, and found out the trackpad was loose.  a common problem apparently

I contacted Dell to ask if I fix it myself, would that void my warranty?
they said no, but offered to ship me a new one out, then once it arrives I could ship back the other one.  (they pay for shipping both ways)

so I agreed and now trying to forget my cool new toy until the replacement shows up.

here is a review of the laptop

If I can help, let me know 

us Offline detron

I am very happy with their offer, and that makes me feel good about the company I bought from (I have not bought a Dell since 2002)

england Offline Kev D

Very nice  :drool:

Happy new laptop  :cheers:

us Offline detron

Very nice  :drool:

Happy new laptop  :cheers:

thank you.  nice having an 11 inch laptop frame with a 13.3 better than 1080p screen.  :dd:

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
 :drool:
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Very sweet machine Detron!

I have a new appreciation for small form factor machines with the one I have been using and I've been looking at small machines as well as 15" ones.

That one looks awesome.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline detron

I have a new appreciation for small form factor machines with the one I have been using and I've been looking at small machines as well as 15" ones.

That one looks awesome.

Def

in the past I always had a 17.3 or an 18.2 inch laptop.   I do not mind the weight, but I do find that sometimes it is not as easy to use, depending on location.

so, and 11" laptop frame with a 13.3" screen seemed perfect for me.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Can't go wrong with an XPS 13 :tu:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas

That one looks awesome.

Def

in the past I always had a 17.3 or an 18.2 inch laptop.   I do not mind the weight, but I do find that sometimes it is not as easy to use, depending on location.

15.6" is the biggest I've ever gone.  I've had much smaller though, although I have never really been a fan of small screen units until recently. I have been using a 12ish inch screen for the past few months and it is nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be.  Prior to this I had 10 inch netbooks and I felt they were a bit cramped, although, as you say, I did find them to be very convenient, and I loved being able to pull it out, open it up and start working wherever I was.

That having been said, I don't know if I would go this small again.  If you have another machine, say a desktop, or a larger screen laptop then also having a small machine helps, but I am not certain I would want anything below a 14 inch screen as my main machine.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline detron

That one looks awesome.

Def

15.6" is the biggest I've ever gone.  I've had much smaller though, although I have never really been a fan of small screen units until recently. I have been using a 12ish inch screen for the past few months and it is nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be.  Prior to this I had 10 inch netbooks and I felt they were a bit cramped, although, as you say, I did find them to be very convenient, and I loved being able to pull it out, open it up and start working wherever I was.

That having been said, I don't know if I would go this small again. If you have another machine, say a desktop, or a larger screen laptop then also having a small machine helps, but I am not certain I would want anything below a 14 inch screen as my main machine.

Def

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I have that covered.

I have a desktop with a four monitor setup    :whistle:

my last desktop is now my server

I have 5 OTHER laptops in the house.  one is an Eee PC netbook, one is so old that I had to get a super lightweight linux to run on it.

I have enough spare parts to build two computers if needed.   :facepalm:

and about 5 tablets

but this is my life, and my job.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
I used to have an array of devices too.... but I started to pare them down and not replace them.

Kind of regretting that decision right now....   :ahhh

Def

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
There's one thing about QHD+ I hate on our lenovo, windows is really bad/random at scaling... so some things are fine, some are blurry and others are too small to actually read.  :facepalm:

The "solution" is to use lower resolutions... what's the point of having 3200x1800 if you only use 1600x900  :rant: :doh:
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline detron

There's one thing about QHD+ I hate on our lenovo, windows is really bad/random at scaling... so some things are fine, some are blurry and others are too small to actually read.  :facepalm:

The "solution" is to use lower resolutions... what's the point of having 3200x1800 if you only use 1600x900  :rant: :doh:

I think I noticed that, (did not take time to think about it since the laptop was going back)

I will be in Linux most of the time, and I will have to scale up the text, otherwise the text is about this size

us Offline detron

Dell finally got around to shipping the replacement laptop, and overnighted it from China   :ahhh

it was scheduled to be delivered today,  but this morning at 5:29 am (while I was driving) the recipient (who should only be me) requested a change of delivery location to a UPS facility (no idea where)
I called UPS once I got to work and got the delivery location changed back to my house, but now it does not seem that it will be delivered today   :rant:

I have no idea where the RECIPIENT asked for it to go, but I hope it arrives tomorrow, and not say next week.  I left work early today to be able to sign for it.

I guess when you ship it in the box that shows all the specs, it is easy for any customs worker, UPS driver, or anyone who was able to snap a picture of the tracking number, you should expect some attempts to snatch one once in a while, but it was very easy for the person to request an alternate delivery location, even though they made me verify the original delivery location and my phone number in order to get it put back   :facepalm:

us Offline detron

well, within 1 minute of my post, UPS showed up    :mail:     :rofl:

If only I had waited one more minute     :oops:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
I hope UPS has the sense to have the police try and make the delivery to that other address.   :facepalm:

Glad it got to you safe and sound, despite the drama!

Def

us Offline detron

well, it looks like I got a free upgrade!!

instead of a 512MB PCIe SSD,  this one has a 1TB  PCIe SSD    :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
That's awesome!  Congratulations!

Now if you want to get back at UPS and change the destination on the one you are returning I'd be happy to supply an alternate address.....   >:D

A double sized hard drive is a great accidental upgrade!

Def

us Offline detron

That's awesome!  Congratulations!

Now if you want to get back at UPS and change the destination on the one you are returning I'd be happy to supply an alternate address.....   >:D

A double sized hard drive is a great accidental upgrade!

Def

:rofl:

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Dont know what all this gibberish means but I'm glad it got worked out fairly quickly for you. I have a small dell and it has been a good computer

us Offline campussecurity

• No Life Club
That's one heck of a machine. I'll refound an appreciation for Dell. Ever since Michael Dell came back because Dell was going down the toilet they have been building quality stuff. Have an Inspirion 15 that is my work laptop and it's built like an old ThinkPad. I'm quite impressed. My personal EDC laptop to work and back is a ThinkPad X220. Yes it's 6 years old but it still rocks. It's got an i5 2620M 2.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3 1333Mhz 256GB PCIe MSATA SSD and a 512GB 2.5 SSD. My only complaint is the 1366x768 12.5" screen. Besides that I love it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

us Offline campussecurity

• No Life Club

That one looks awesome.

Def

That having been said, I don't know if I would go this small again. If you have another machine, say a desktop, or a larger screen laptop then also having a small machine helps, but I am not certain I would want anything below a 14 inch screen as my main machine.

Def

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I have that covered.

I have a desktop with a four monitor setup    :whistle:

my last desktop is now my server

I have 5 OTHER laptops in the house.  one is an Eee PC netbook, one is so old that I had to get a super lightweight linux to run on it.

I have enough spare parts to build two computers if needed.   :facepalm:

and about 5 tablets

but this is my life, and my job.
You and me sound alike. I have 6 laptops and a few desktops and tablets. I also am slowly moving over to Linux.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%