Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Nitenumen NE01, is it any good?

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Nitenumen NE01, is it any good?
on: March 26, 2017, 10:11:58 PM

This Flashlight has many functions in paper, and a nice price, compared with Nitecore and LED Lenser flashlights. Is it really good?

I just saw that it costs 50$ on eBay but I got an ad from a site that is marked as spam here.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 10:15:41 PM by kkokkolis »

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Re: Nitenumen NE01, is it any good?
Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 09:28:11 AM
If that was silly, you may recommend me something similar.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 02:52:10 PM
This Flashlight has many functions in paper, and a nice price, compared with Nitecore and LED Lenser flashlights. Is it really good?

A google search will finds some reviews for this light.  It seems there were some charging issues with the first version, so avoid them.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 04:02:21 PM
Did a quick check and found this video.  Looks like others have got the light cheaper than $50. 
The newer version had different emitter and a few other differences.  From what little I gathered it appears to be a clone/copy of Nitecore flashlight.  It also got pretty popular as a result of being a 1000lm light at such a low price.  Budget light afficianados were pretty stoked to get a light running 18650s for $20 in many cases. 

For $50 I'm not so sure about this light.  For $20 it very well maybe be a terrific budget light many were raving about.     

comparison to old version.

Light review only.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 04:04:19 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 09:26:25 PM
Yes, it looks like the Nitecore I tested recently (I have a pic in the Monoculars thread). It seems it was the Nitecore Multi Task Hybrid MH20 (that goes for 90€ here).   I bought the Updated version for 20€. If it is a Nitecore clone, the red 30mm filter (or the diffuser)  might fit, and I might find a bicycle stand for it. For microscopy it is ready. I'll tell you what I think.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 09:32:37 PM by kkokkolis »

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 09:53:16 PM
I'd never heard of this company before but then I am far from being an enlightened flashlight guru. Here are just some thoughts.

Personally, I avoid rechargeable lithium cells, they require some attention. What's more, one often can't use primary cells (disposable, single use cells) in their place. This could mean no light when you were counting on having it.

USB charging ports seem like a possible failure point to me, magnetic ports are the answer to that. This light seems to have some inconsistencies regarding recharging, I don't like that.

Assuming the runtimes and lumen listed are more or less accurate, I'd say this one is definitely meant for the outdoors. The jump from 2 to 80 lumen is huge, it could ruin your night vision if you are out stargazing. Lumen aren't perceived in a linear manner by our eyes (e.g. 300 vs 450 lm isn't a huge difference, barely even noticeable perhaps). The NE01 claims a peak intensity of 13500 candela at 1000 lumen,  I have a torch claiming 11000 candela at 265 lm (and I trust Fenix ratings).

If you want to have just one torch, I think it's best you opt for a well known brand. Two good brands that can be found locally are Fenix and Olight (I've no experience with Nitecore). Defining intended use and power source would help you track something to suit your needs. For me, the way to go would be a small, "personal space" light and a bigger one for moving around with more ease. Such a combination doesn't have to cost much.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 11:27:01 PM
I have a lot of red flashlights, button types, 2 Solitaires (one krypton and one LED), 2 astronomy Skywatcher with potency continuous switch, head lights, LEDs with film or Coke caps, a manually charging, a fluorescent etc. I don't need another one. It's just natural for me to put red filter to everything, including all interior lights of my car. I guess I will do it for Nitenumen too.
I can move easily in the dark. The only time I need a strong light is for bicycle (we usually ride at night). Every year I see a light or two destroyed by battery fluids, so a back up that I'll care for will help.
Well, it's not the only time. I need it for microscopy too.
I just wanted a low risk option to try this kind of flashlights. I might keep it in the car eventually and keep using the simple Streamlite Stylous Pro and the Solitaire that served me well up to now. We' ll see.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 11:28:23 PM by kkokkolis »

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 11:33:46 PM
Who else read the thread topic as "Nintendo NES..." ?  :D

gr Offline firiki

Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 11:51:33 AM
I can move easily in the dark.

Hemeralopia?  :P

I see that you got the torch in question already. Please let us how how you like it once you've formed an opinion.

I wouldn't keep a 18650 cell in the car in the summer, they can degrade with heat.

What's this potency continuous switch?

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 12:07:07 PM

I see that you got the torch in question already. Please let us how how you like it once you've formed an opinion.

I wouldn't keep a 18650 cell in the car in the summer, they can degrade with heat.

1. Σκοτοψία (Skotopsia?).

2. What we call "ροοστάτης" in Greek. I guess it is called a "dimmer".

gr Offline firiki

Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 12:34:46 PM

1. Σκοτοψία (Skotopsia?).

2. What we call "ροοστάτης" in Greek. I guess it is called a "dimmer".

Ahh, like an adjustable brightness ring (essentially a dimmer, yes). I've seen those and I like them. Not being able to estimate runtime is my only problem with those!

I knew a guy who had hemeralopia but who could also see well in the darkness. Impressive and scary at the same time. I perceive σκοτοψία as seeing darkness/dark spots? There must be some other name as I can't find something on the web.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 12:35:59 PM by firiki »

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 01:40:50 PM
It's actually adaptartion to night vision, rods take charge in the retina instead of cones. Observational astronomers get better with practice.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 10:43:40 PM
I'm reading about flashlights now, and I wonder. What does it have to do? A medium flashlight I mean.
5 modes seems OK. 1 lumen (Nitenumen has 3 at the lowest) to about a thousand. That sounds OK.
USB recharging sounds OK too. I have a lot of cables around waiting for things to be plugged.
Strobe? I' don't know.
SOS and Beacon? I can do it manually. If I have a flash function (Nitenumen hasn't). But I can flash the old boyscout way (or navy), by blocking and unblocking light with the other hand. Let's not need auto mode for that. SOS acts as a Beacon too.
RGB colors? I like that. Mostly need the red, I can make it myself with a filter (or perhaps a ready filter will do).
UV? I don't need it but I like it. IR? Not really.
Diffuser? Why would you need it? I guess it is the same as the red filter.
Mode memory? That sounds as a keeper. Who wants to cycle between modes all the time?
Flooder or Thrower? Flooders look better for me.
Cooler or warmer white light? Well, cooler might be more tiring (some UV more) but it is better for microscopy.
A magnet? I like that. A clip? That too. Otherwise I'll bite it and get working.
A green laser? Yes, please. I keep myself from buying the Hotech for years. It would be nice for statparties and presentations too.
What else?

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 09:23:25 PM
That's what I was thinking of.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 11:21:09 AM
I received it today. It works as advertised and it looks solid. The 34mm Nitecore filter will fit with some mod (it doesn't fit in the MH20 either). The light doesn't fit in the seath, because it is the updated version and it is taller. They forgot to update the seath too! I'm going to check charging and buy a bicycle adaptor. It is my first quality (but budget) light, apart from the simpler Maglite Solitaire and Stearmlight Stylus Pro. I'll post some pics later, for those interested.
The battery and filter cost more than the light itself, and that's impressive.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 04:57:30 PM
Here it is. The Nitenumen with Solitaire and Stylous Pro for size comparison. You can see the Nitecore NFR 34 filter, a red filter I just made with my Opi from a soda cap, the Alpin bicycle holder (great!) and the Nitenumen seath that can't fit the flashlight (but I can fit a SAK or knife there).

Don't hesitate! For 18,something euros and free shipping, this is a steal!
Nitenumen NH01.jpg
* Nitenumen NH01.jpg (Filesize: 133.64 KB)

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #16 on: April 15, 2017, 09:09:12 AM
Having experienced what these flashtoys are, my next one do-it-all for holidays -the Nitenumen will stay in my work briefcase- is going to be the Nitecore MH27.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #17 on: April 15, 2017, 10:57:29 AM
Its the mother of all flashlights!  :o
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #18 on: April 15, 2017, 01:13:10 PM
I guess so...

I wonder why I was hesitating to buy such a light. So many uses.! Apart from the obvious uses, I need one for eye and skin examination, microscopy field and additional lighting, astronomy red lighting (with filter) and bicycle lighting (we only bike at night).

The Nitenumen NE01 on my bicycle.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #19 on: April 19, 2017, 10:30:58 AM
Alea jacta est. I settled with the Nitecore MH27 UV and I'm going to buy it tomorrow. Other canditates were the regular MH27 and the SRT7 GT, which isn't available here yet.
I chose this because
I like USB charging through standard cable
I use a red light frequently
I like the atmosphaeric blue light
UV would be handy with my minerals, for fluorescense.
I don't see uses for the green light on the other hand.
28h @ 55 lumens and 6h @ 250 lumens seem very good to me. The Nitenumen is more bright but I would prefer a 1 lumen mode (vs 3) and 250 seems just right for general outdoors use.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: April 19, 2017, 11:05:24 AM
 :popcorn:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #21 on: April 19, 2017, 12:06:13 PM
250 lumens should be more than enough for general outdoor use.  :tu:  :popcorn:
I use a Ti3(120 lumens).
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #22 on: April 20, 2017, 09:46:03 AM
Well, here it is. I find it wonderful, it has anything I could need built in. It could have the Green red and the smart selector ring with infinite brightness levels, as the SRT7 GT has, but then I wouldn't have the USB charging, which I prefer (same goes for the Chameleon types). Also it could have an interim mode of 500-650 lumens or so, but 250 is indeed enough for most applications. I use my Nitenumen mostly in 85 lumens.

I predict a lot of play with it.
Nitecore MH27UV 1.jpg
* Nitecore MH27UV 1.jpg (Filesize: 80.16 KB)
Nitecore MH27UV 2.jpg
* Nitecore MH27UV 2.jpg (Filesize: 61.07 KB)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: April 21, 2017, 06:58:41 AM
Glad the light worked out for you.  Getting a quality light does have a tendency to spur other light purchases.  The Nitecore specs are pretty nice. 
Esse Quam Videri

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #24 on: April 21, 2017, 07:50:34 AM
The Nitenumen seath doesn't fit the flashlight, but a Swisschamp fits perfectly in it.

For the moment I feel that these two lights, together with my smaller ones, suit me perfectly. Although the NE01 is more EDCable, I need to EDC the MH27 first, until the novelty factor will eventually fade.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: April 21, 2017, 08:06:55 AM
that really does look made to measure.  :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #26 on: April 21, 2017, 09:34:24 AM
Yes. And it's thinner, lighter and more versatile (with 3 different loops for hanging on a belt etc) than  the leather seaths of Victorinox. Leather is still more classy, but for a "tacticool" seath, this is excellent. The seath, a good USB cable and a "Nitecore MH20" generic flashlight for 18 euros, free shipping, that's incredible.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%